PDA

View Full Version : If Herzlich wins the Job, should they cut Blackburn.

nhpgiantsfan
08-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Ok before you guys kill me, hear me out.

We have Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, Herzlich, Blackburn, JWill, Jones, Paysinger, Sintim, and Muasau.

I am wondering if Herzlich wins the starting job, is it worth keeping Blackburn if we would have to cut someone that may have more long term upside than Chase. I mean we know what Chase is. A solid player who gives 110% all the time, with an endless motor, but let's face it we've seen his best and if that isn't good enough to win the starting job, then should we really cut a more athletic youngster who could end up giving us a lot more down the road. Obviously Sintim is probably gone and I don't know much about Muasau. But I would hate to lose Paysinger or Jones so we can have chase here playing only on specials.

This is not a knock on Chase. If TC and Fewell believe in him as the starter then I am behind him 100%. Just seeing an over abundance of young linebackers with not enough spots to go around.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
that is interesting logic....and if someone does get hurt we can always grab him off the couch again

BklynBlue
08-11-2012, 09:26 PM
that is interesting logic....and if someone does get hurt we can always grab him off the couch again

Doubt he would be on the couch again. Green Bay may have lost Bishop for a while, perhaps the year. I am sure they would come calling.

BlueSanta
08-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Jones is being tried at OLB. I think that limmits his chances to play in this league. He is clearly not as good in space as he is in traffic. He is also a bit undersized and lacks mobility to cover, something OLBs are asked to do more often.

In light of that, I think his chances of making the team are smaller. However, if we keep only 1 of the 2 between Herz and Blackburn, then I think Jones has a chance to stick around as a backup MLB.

DownWitJPP
08-11-2012, 09:30 PM
I kinda agree with you, the young LB's are showing lots of promise and I would hate to lose any of them. Jones can backup Herz in the middle or Kiwi on the strong side. We have too many weak side backers at the moment, Boley, Rivers, Jaquain Williams, and Paysinger.

fansince69
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Doubt he would be on the couch again. Green Bay may have lost Bishop for a while, perhaps the year. I am sure they would come calling.

It was kind of a joke

NYG4lifeNYK
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Sintim would get cut before Chase I'd have to think.

Sintim is completely useless and always injured.

buster55
08-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Love Chase he can play and has shown it. Jones and Paysinger missed a lot of tackles last night. Giants gave Jones a chance last year and pulled him. brought Chase back with season on the line. If we are so deep with LB why did they bring Chase back?

Cool Papa B.
08-11-2012, 09:57 PM
No.

You always need a back up. What if Herzlich gets hurt? Chase knows the defense very well. He's just as important to the team as Herzlich.

ebick
08-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Chase is at the heart of this team.....I think he needs to stay....

BParcells777
08-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I'd cut Herzlich before cutting the SB champs D captain

GameTime
08-11-2012, 11:19 PM
maybe you should be thinking of cutting some other LB other than Herz. Not saying Blackburn should be cut but Herz shouldnt be

JB456
08-12-2012, 12:28 AM

We have Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, Herzlich, Blackburn, JWill, Jones, Paysinger, Sintim, and Muasau.

I am wondering if Herzlich wins the starting job, is it worth keeping Blackburn if we would have to cut someone that may have more long term upside than Chase. I mean we know what Chase is. A solid player who gives 110% all the time, with an endless motor, but let's face it we've seen his best and if that isn't good enough to win the starting job, then should we really cut a more athletic youngster who could end up giving us a lot more down the road. Obviously Sintim is probably gone and I don't know much about Muasau. But I would hate to lose Paysinger or Jones so we can have chase here playing only on specials.

This is not a knock on Chase. If TC and Fewell believe in him as the starter then I am behind him 100%. Just seeing an over abundance of young linebackers with not enough spots to go around.

This might be straight emotions talking but whatever:

Hell NO!!! Chase came off the couch last year and was a pivotal part of out defense (Including that interception in the Super Bowl). The Giants should keep him even if Herzlich beats him out. Chase has a huge heart and I can see him as a great role model and a huge asset in the locker room.

appodictic
08-12-2012, 12:50 AM
I would cut Paysinger, Sintim, and Muasau before I cut chase. Besides the fact that chase made critical INTs, special team tackles, and solidified our defence, the three I mention have done 0 for this team.

Toadofsteel
08-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Even if Herz gets the start, I like the idea of having a reliable backup around, especially one with the motor and knowledge of our defense that Chase has...

BigBlue1971
08-12-2012, 01:00 AM
i dont see how Chase can be let go under any circumstance! i mean Fewell already said he is the starter at mlb.

even if Herzlich beats him out i think he would at the least be #2 depth at that position.

he adds value to the team so he wont be cut imo!

miked1958
08-12-2012, 02:03 AM
i dont see how Chase can be let go under any circumstance! i mean Fewell already said he is the starter at mlb. even if Herzlich beats him out i think he would at the least be #2 depth at that position. he adds value to the team so he wont be cut imo!I agree. Without him last year we don't get as far

GiantLegend
08-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Chase is at the heart of this team.....I think he needs to stay....

Agree. Sintim is over. I had my hope, but time is up, time to cut our ties to him and wish him luck in the future.

nhpgiantsfan
08-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Umm, he wasn't the D captain last year. Boley had the ear piece and made the defensive calls.

B-Red22
08-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Love Chase he can play and has shown it. Jones and Paysinger missed a lot of tackles last night. Giants gave Jones a chance last year and pulled him. brought Chase back with season on the line. If we are so deep with LB why did they bring Chase back?

Because both of those guys were rookies last year with bascially no off season

hungrrrry
08-12-2012, 09:31 AM

I would hold onto Chase....experience within our defense is an important measurable of his value plus he still has gas left in the tank....sintim and Paysinger lack the value Chase has and should be cut first if it come to that, as would Muasau. Chase also adds spark and competative enthusiasm. He has become a leader on this team.

BParcells777
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Herzlich is not ready to run our defense.......with a meager 2 tackles Friday night

Well........thats pathetic

kbusch22
08-12-2012, 10:39 AM
If they keep 7 LBs I think it will be Boley, Kiwi, Blackburn, Rivers, Herzlich, Jones, and Williams. But honestly I'd try to find room for Paysinger too if possible. Even if it means only carrying 3 true DE's (Tuck, Osi, JPP) with Kiwi acting as the de facto 4th DE as well as LB. Maybe they can keep Paysinger instead of a 6th CB or 5th safety.

I'd keep Sintim on the PUP list into the season as long as possible. No sense in rushing him back with such a numbers crunch. Once he's ready to come off the PUP if there's still no room for him, cut him loose.

Nothing against Muasau but I'm struggling to find room for him with all the experienced guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Him being injured already certainly doesn't help either. Hope he makes it to the practice squad.

BParcells777
08-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I agree....Paysinger was the bright light in the 2nd team defense Friday night......he was flying to the ball

fourth&forever
08-12-2012, 11:07 AM
no. you don't cut your #2 guy

ryan12
08-12-2012, 11:14 AM
No way.... I would rather the cut maasu jones and sintim chase is a very good player... IMO had we not signed him we don't win the Super Bowl

Mercury
08-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Chase and Herz will both make this team. Guys like Musau, Jones, and Paysinger are fighting for a roster spot. Musau will most likely be moved to the PS, since he is the only candidate among them that can be moved to the PS. (That is, if NE doesn't snatch him up to spite us.) That leaves Jones and Paysinger fighting for the last spot. Personally, I think Paysinger showed more vs. the Jaguars than Jones did.

tonyt830
08-12-2012, 11:44 AM

This is not a knock on Chase. If TC and Fewell believe in him as the starter then I am behind him 100%. Just seeing an over abundance of young linebackers with not enough spots to go around.I am all for the youth movement. But even if Herzlich can win the job by week 1, I think it would be good to keep Blackburn. He is not a huge cap hit, plus he has the veteran presence that knows the system, and has played all 3 LB positions in the past. I think Sintim, and possibly Paysinger could be cut, and maybe Muasau could be put on the practice squad(thats if the coaching staff sees a future with the team).

DVision
08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Chase and Herz will both make this team. Guys like Musau, Jones, and Paysinger are fighting for a roster spot. Musau will most likely be moved to the PS, since he is the only candidate among them that can be moved to the PS. (That is, if NE doesn't snatch him up to spite us.) That leaves Jones and Paysinger fighting for the last spot. Personally, I think Paysinger showed more vs. the Jaguars than Jones did.

I agree! Paysinger does not miss tackles as often as Greg Jones!

tonyt830
08-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Sintim would get cut before Chase I'd have to think.

Sintim is completely useless and always injured.I think Sintim would be one of the first players to be cut. I know he has an injury history. Maybe a team that runs a 3-4 would pick him up, since that is a system he knows well from his college career. Or maybe he can put a little wight on and become a 4-3 DE?

RoanokeFan
08-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Interesting question. It's more complicated because TT is nursing his knee injury. I don't think they release Chase if Herzlich starts but if they do release him, I sure hope they sign Deon Grant. He knows the system and has played well for us.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Chase stays! He is a proven reliability for our D and ST's. Love his team first mentality, He was always "ALL IN"!

BParcells777
08-12-2012, 03:10 PM
If Herzlich and The Prince start, we have a good shot at going 0-8 before Tom wakes up..........BC love only goes so far

RoanokeFan
08-12-2012, 03:34 PM
If Herzlich and The Prince start, we have a good shot at going 0-8 before Tom wakes up..........BC love only goes so far

What's your problem with Herzlich? Amukamara, maybe.

BlueReign
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Keep Chase as a back up MLB and a special teamer, cut Sintim.

Buddy333
08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh boy! So now Prince is horrible? It was a pre season game. I seem to remember him playing very well in the post season when it counted.Anyway, Herzlich looked very good. Imagine this. What if the old Herzlich is back? Add to that a new attitude Will Hill. Put those guys with what they already have and they could be a very solid unit.

Roswell777
08-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Classic overreaction.

Roswell777
08-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh boy! So now Prince is horrible? It was a pre season game. I seem to remember him playing very well in the post season when it counted.Anyway, Herzlich looked very good. Imagine this. What if the old Herzlich is back? Add to that a new attitude Will Hill. Put those guys with what they already have and they could be a very solid unit.

I agree as long as Fewell gets them playing the way they need to. They need to be more aggressive during the regular season than they were last year. And where are all the guys on this board who said Herzlich wasn't a good athlete?

Buddy333
08-12-2012, 04:29 PM
It was hard to be aggressive last year wi all the injuries though. I think as long as they have Tuck, Osi, and JPP out there they will be that much better. Now again, let's say you add to that the old Herzlich, a more experienced Prince, and the a new attitude Hill along with KP, and Rolle and you have a very good defense in my opinion.

GMENAGAIN
08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
If they keep 7 LBs I think it will be Boley, Kiwi, Blackburn, Rivers, Herzlich, Jones, and Williams. But honestly I'd try to find room for Paysinger too if possible. Even if it means only carrying 3 true DE's (Tuck, Osi, JPP) with Kiwi acting as the de facto 4th DE as well as LB. Maybe they can keep Paysinger instead of a 6th CB or 5th safety.

I'd keep Sintim on the PUP list into the season as long as possible. No sense in rushing him back with such a numbers crunch. Once he's ready to come off the PUP if there's still no room for him, cut him loose.

Nothing against Muasau but I'm struggling to find room for him with all the experienced guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Him being injured already certainly doesn't help either. Hope he makes it to the practice squad.

Excellent post. I think that Jones and Paysinger are fighting for one spot.

GMENAGAIN
08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I think Sintim would be one of the first players to be cut. I know he has an injury history. Maybe a team that runs a 3-4 would pick him up, since that is a system he knows well from his college career. Or maybe he can put a little wight on and become a 4-3 DE?

Why not keep him on the PUP until week 6, in case of injury? If everyone is stil healthy and playing well, we can just cur him loose then . . . .

Roswell777
08-12-2012, 04:48 PM
It was hard to be aggressive last year wi all the injuries though. I think as long as they have Tuck, Osi, and JPP out there they will be that much better. Now again, let's say you add to that the old Herzlich, a more experienced Prince, and the a new attitude Hill along with KP, and Rolle and you have a very good defense in my opinion.

I still haven't seen the innovation from Fewell that I saw in the SB 42 run with Spags. Specifically when they would send two blitzers from the same side to put a lick on Brady all game. I think that you're right about the limitations based on injury, but I feel with the personnel they had last year, even with the injuries, that they were underperforming.

All that being said, there's not much for me to complain about after the run they went on. There's no reason, injuries aside, for it not to continue.

BigJ
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
I have said this before but i think Sintim will def be cut. With this group of backers he has no chance unless they did with him what they are doin with Tracey and have them fight it out for that Dend position. but as for Chase there is no reason to cut him if Hertz beats him out, Hes always been a solid back up, knows the play book, and can play all 3 linebacker positions. I feel Jones goes before him.

Nolan24
08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Chase is slow, but he always finds a way to make a big play in big games. Have to keep him

Jahh
08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd cut him but that's just me.

PBTimmons
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
IF Herzlich wins the job, it would be ridiculous to cut Blackburn as he has experience under his belt. Greg Jones would get the axe instead.

OLB - Kiwi, Boley, Rivers, Jacquain, Paysinger
MLB - Herzlich, Blackburn

That's my take on LB's of the 53 man roster.

gumby74
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Not to say he was the only reason for the defensive turnound mid season, but as soon as Chase came on board, we were a different defense. I think it's safe to say he had a significant impact.

AntB
08-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Blackburn must stay. The future is NOW! GIANTS have great chance to be repeat Super Bowl Champions. It wouldbe debateable if he were an over paid prima donna but he's not. He's a gamer and with Boley getting nicked up from time to time we need depth of proven players at LB. Number 55 seems a little weak to me; doesn't seem very strong against the run at all.

Martyr
08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
As much as I like Herzlich I'd like to see more from him, If he's going to beat out Chase I think he needs to step it up.

TrueBlue@NYC
08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Definitly keep Blackburn. He's a proven insurance policy that also can play STs', and has the experience to step right into the D should we have an injury during the game.

That was our problem last season, we had too many developing, young prospect Lbers, but no proven veteran depth. Keep Chase.

GameTime
08-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Definitly keep Blackburn. He's a proven insurance policy that also can play STs', and has the experience to step right into the D should we have an injury during the game.

That was our problem last season, we had too many developing, young prospect Lbers, but no proven veteran depth. Keep Chase.
+1......also he has earned a roster spot and shown that time and time again. He comes back with no malice and plays his butt off. He def deserves it.

jomo
08-14-2012, 06:40 PM
As much as I like Herzlich I'd like to see more from him, If he's going to beat out Chase I think he needs to step it up.I saw that next level last week but it was only one week. Consistency is really important.

buster55
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Does anyone remember the superbowl and patriots were dominating last possesion before half and beginning third quarter? GreenEllis was running very hard and Chase laid the lumber on him in third quarter and he did not run the same after that and i heard Rolle mentioned that hit as well in a interview after the game. How about the pick he had? At least 2 huge game changing plays in the superbowl. CHASE STAYS!!!!!

jomo
08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Does anyone remember the superbowl and patriots were dominating last possesion before half and beginning third quarter? GreenEllis was running very hard and Chase laid the lumber on him in third quarter and he did not run the same after that and i heard Rolle mentioned that hit as well in a interview after the game. How about the pick he had? At least 2 huge game changing plays in the superbowl. CHASE STAYS!!!!!No doubt he stays.

Joe Morrison
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Agreed, Chase is money in the bank even if Herz is looking better it all comes down to real time.

nycsportzfan
08-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Agreed, Chase is money in the bank even if Herz is looking better it all comes down to real time. Not to mention, both blackburna and Herz have the size nessecary to play SLB if needed, meaning u could at times put both on the field if need be, depending on injuries throughout season.. I def want Chase to stay, as hes proven his value to this club.. I like the style Herz and Blackburn play with..

Herz has alot more playmaking ability, but Chase has certainly shown the aiblity to make a big play as well..

miked1958
08-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Does anyone remember the superbowl and patriots were dominating last possesion before half and beginning third quarter? GreenEllis was running very hard and Chase laid the lumber on him in third quarter and he did not run the same after that and i heard Rolle mentioned that hit as well in a interview after the game. How about the pick he had? At least 2 huge game changing plays in the superbowl. CHASE STAYS!!!!! Agree with all you guys on this. He stays! And I've said this before without those two huge plays the outcome of the SB could of been different.

Rat_bastich
08-16-2012, 06:27 AM
With the tackles dropping like flies we might be able to keep all of them. Instead of safeties subbing in for linebackers we'll have linebackers subbing in for tackles.

rainierjef
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
chase is fundamental, and smart. he's not the quickest guy but he makes u for that in physicality thats what you want in a MLB. I hope that herz becomes the player we all hope him to be but i wouldn't mind him learning from chase for a season or two while getting some snaps here and there

nhpgiantsfan
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
With the tackles dropping like flies we might be able to keep all of them. Instead of safeties subbing in for linebackers we'll have linebackers subbing in for tackles.

Are you suggesting putting a linebacker at defensive tackle??

Jahh
08-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't get the "he earned it" thing.

GameTime
08-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't get the "he earned it" thing.
if you dont get it then you're not and haven't been watching Giants football...

Rat_bastich
08-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Are you suggesting putting a linebacker at defensive tackle??

I miss the red font

Jahh
08-16-2012, 10:55 AM
if you dont get it then you're not and haven't been watching Giants football...

Ok, I haven't been watching.

The guy made like one decent play, albeit a big play, but c'mon he chased a guy down the field who could hardly run or jump and picked off a pass. I guess its the classy New York Giant thing to do or to pay him back but I still don't get it. Players don't owe teams loyalty and neither do teams to players. If it's better for the team to cut Chase, then it should be done. Mark Herzlich is as good as Chase now but with a tremendous amount of upside. We have several linebackers who should be on the field before Chase and they all have more physical attributes and ability.

rxc999
08-16-2012, 10:58 AM
they are not going to cut blackburn....not before cutting sintim..what has he done??? we need blackburn, he knows the defense...and is an assett.

GameTime
08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Ok, I haven't been watching.

The guy made like one decent play, albeit a big play, but c'mon he chased a guy down the field who could hardly run or jump and picked off a pass. I guess its the classy New York Giant thing to do or to pay him back but I still don't get it. Players don't owe teams loyalty and neither do teams to players. If it's better for the team to cut Chase, then it should be done. Mark Herzlich is as good as Chase now but with a tremendous amount of upside. We have several linebackers who should be on the field before Chase and they all have more physical attributes and ability.
then why werent they on field in place of Chse last season?? Other injury who was availabe that stepped up?....
The Giants dont owe him anything.....thats why I say he has earned it. If you dont feel that way thats fine but to think his only contributions are two picks then so be it.

Jahh
08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
then why werent they on field in place of Chse last season?? Other injury who was availabe that stepped up?....
The Giants dont owe him anything.....thats why I say he has earned it. If you dont feel that way thats fine but to think his only contributions are two picks then so be it.

If I remember correctly, Herzlich got the MLB job in base 4-3 last season before he got hurt. They didn't sign Chase until after that (I believe). I just think the dude is limited.

bigblue58
08-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Cut Blackburn but keep Jones on the roster....are you out of your mind? Jones has looked lost on the field when he hasn't been getting run over. Jones is totally overrated dude and to make the same mistake again by releasing Blackburn a second time is just a completely dumb move!

GameTime
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
If I remember correctly, Herzlich got the MLB job in base 4-3 last season before he got hurt. They didn't sign Chase until after that (I believe). I just think the dude is limited.
thats why I said other than "injury" who else stepped up......its was nobody. I am not saying he should start in front of a healthy Herz if Herz proves he is ready.
I am saying he deserves and has eraned a roster spot. Ever hear an interveiw with Chase?? The guy is smart and football intelligent. Having him around would be great for the LB crew in many ways. Plus he can step on the field in any LB postion and know where to be and what to do. He may be limited in speed but he makes up in smarts. Whats worse....a player who is a step slow but knows where to be and also knows where everyone else should be or an athletic fast player who really doesn know the scheme. The smart player will make more plays and more key plays.
BTW....the only reason Chase was on Gronk in SB was because of Gronks injury. If Gronk was healthy no way Chase is on him man to man. Would have been a saftey or a nickle CB.