PDA

View Full Version : Just curious what you guys think about CARR?

NJBLUE
08-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't know much about him, but dude sure can run. Also, he seemed comfortable out there. What do you guys think about him?

rainierjef
08-11-2012, 10:19 PM
above average serviceable back up. could of been good if the texans had an O-line to begin with, but he knew what he was getting into with an expansion team.

GameTime
08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
As fast as he is and even the fact that he was a #1 pick and starter in the league for years he STILL holds on to the ball way too long many times. He needs to throw the ****er or run past the LOS......

greenca190
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
we should try him at running back. or h-back. that stands for white running back, right?

Syverce
08-11-2012, 10:57 PM
He never got over his time in Texas. He still hears footsteps on almost every play. He is a reliable backup though. Doesn't have the hilarity factor that J-Load had, but I'm still glad to have him.

moo
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
One of the best backups in the league.

krygny
08-12-2012, 12:30 AM
He's no Tim Tebow.

Thank goodness for that.

RagTime Blue
08-12-2012, 12:39 AM
He'll do for now, but I'd like to Giants to investigate the future of that position. That is, find someone who has potential to be more than a backup.

With Carr at starting QB, I think the Giants would go 5-11.

Moke
08-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Good back-up QB for sure. I feel comfortable with him back there.

gmen46
08-12-2012, 02:11 AM
He'll do for now, but I'd like to Giants to investigate the future of that position. That is, find someone who has potential to be more than a backup.

"Someone who has potential to be more than a backup"? What does that mean? A starting QB to be a back up to Eli?

Good luck finding a QB of starting quality to accept sitting on the bench--and accepting a back-up's pay, because the Giants are not going to pay starter salary for a back-up--for the next 6-7 years.

And if circumstances dictated Carr being our starter for an entire season, we'd have far greater concerns than having Carr being our starter for an entire season.

ashleymarie
08-12-2012, 02:35 AM

Yeah, I see what you are saying. Invest in a potential qb who can learn the position from the ground up and learn from the best: Eli and the Giants coaching staff, learn to read defenses and throw a tight spiral. Continually learning, until he is needed. Sort of like Danny White played behind Staubach all those years until he was needed. Takes a selfless player though.

Toadofsteel
08-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I see what you are saying. Invest in a potential qb who can learn the position from the ground up and learn from the best: Eli and the Giants coaching staff, learn to read defenses and throw a tight spiral. Continually learning, until he is needed. Sort of like Danny White played behind Staubach all those years until he was needed. Takes a selfless player though.

I think that will be addressed in the draft one or two years from now. The Patriots drafted Ryan Mallett last year, who is seemingly intended to be groomed into the future starting QB for the Patriots after Brady retires.

Of course, these matters can be hit-or-miss. In cases like the Packers (following up Favre with Rodgers), it can make a team dominant over many decades. but if you screw it up you can risk sending your team into obscurity. I think Jerry Reese is good enough to deliver our future though...

SweetZombieJesus
08-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Not only did he start all those years for the Texans the 49ers brought him in to challenge Alex Smith not too long ago...

nhpgiantsfan
08-12-2012, 07:09 AM
As far as back up QBs go, I think Carr is probably one of the best in the league. He knows the offense now since he has been here for years, and he has ability. There aren't many good back up QBs out there. And the ones that have success are the veterans that have had experience as a starter.

Thank God it hasn't been an issue for us. But I think Carr gives us the best chance of maintaining some success if "it" ever did happen. I am perfectly happy keeping Carr around as long as he will stay.

BeatYale
08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
"Someone who has potential to be more than a backup"? What does that mean? A starting QB to be a back up to Eli?

Good luck finding a QB of starting quality to accept sitting on the bench--and accepting a back-up's pay, because the Giants are not going to pay starter salary for a back-up--for the next 6-7 years.

And if circumstances dictated Carr being our starter for an entire season, we'd have far greater concerns than having Carr being our starter for an entire season.

Just because a guy is a backup doesn't mean that's all he can ever be. If a guy has the potential to be more than a backup, it doesn't mean that he's going to expect a starter's salary.

It's the hardest position to play, the margin for error is small. Sometimes it's just a small difference that makes one guy a starter and another a backup. At any point though, there's the potential for the light bulb to turn on in the backup's brain and he can end up playing better on game day.

davepc
08-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Carr is just like Sorgi and Rosenfiels and Lorenzen. He's garbage. If Eli goes down the Giants go down. It's not like the 1980's where you could stash a guy with real talent on the roster for years like the 49ers did with Steve Young. If your backup isint some hotshot rookie looking for a break then he's a washed up retread who everyone knows is no good.

Moke
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Carr is just like Sorgi and Rosenfiels and Lorenzen. He's garbage. If Eli goes down the Giants go down. It's not like the 1980's where you could stash a guy with real talent on the roster for years like the 49ers did with Steve Young. If your backup isint some hotshot rookie looking for a break then he's a washed up retread who everyone knows is no good.

Happy we have David Carr. You won't find that many good back-ups

BuffyBlueII
08-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I think David Carr might still have PTSD from Texas.

I am happy with him as out backup and like another poster stated, if there is ever a time that we need David Carr as our starter for an entire season then the problem would be much bigger than who is our backup. If Eli Manning goes out we are in trouble. I like David Carr but he is no Jeff Hostetler.

gumby74
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

God for bid Eli goes down, I actually have confidence that he'll do an adequate job - assuming he gets help of course. Not like last season when we had no running game and no defense.

bgblucru56
08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Imo, carr is a very dependable backup to eli. he can throw a bullet and pinpoint pass when he has the time. obviously, we see he can run too. i would definitely dispose of perriloux though. he looked really scared in the pocket most of the time. there is no fear from a giant.

njg85m
08-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I said it in another thread the other day, but essentially Carr got screwed the day he became a pro.
He was thrown to an expansion team that had the absolute worst O-Line in NFL history, for 3 straight years, had to run for his life on almost every single play, took the blame for the failure, and was never really given a second chance since.

I'm comfortable with him. He's no Eli, but those of you who are saying that we would only "win 3 or 4 games" with Carr are absolutely, and completely, out of your minds.

Put it this way, our Backup is a better QB than a lot of teams starting QB's...

jomo
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I said it in another thread the other day, but essentially Carr got screwed the day he became a pro.
He was thrown to an expansion team that had the absolute worst O-Line in NFL history, for 3 straight years, had to run for his life on almost every single play, took the blame for the failure, and was never really given a second chance since.

I'm comfortable with him. He's no Eli, but those of you who are saying that we would only "win 3 or 4 games" with Carr are absolutely, and completely, out of your minds.

Put it this way, our Backup is a better QB than a lot of teams starting QB's...I would say this differently. Carr is better than most teams backups.

BROADWAYSTORM
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
He was my favorite college Quarterback of all time. I can't believe how much the Texans ruined him. He had an amazing and accurate arm and just a huge pocket presence in college. He looked like the perfect, prototype Quarterback except he had a bit of a sidearm delivery but he since changed that. The Fresno Bulldogs had a high octane pro style offense when Carr was around. He was a Pat Hill guy. Yet getting sacked 100+ times in 2 seasons completely ruined his pocket presence and awareness. He looks like a rescued animal out there now. Sometimes you see him stand and sometimes he still runs when he doesn't have to.