PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will be better Wilson or Martin?

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Only reason why I ask is because everybody said Tampa Bay stole him from us. I see Wilson being better I am not just saying that cause he's a Giant. I just think he's more of a dynamic runner and he displayed some power on that on run to the sideline. He can also catch the ball well. I think him and Martellus Bennet are going to be deadly on screens something the Giants weren't very good at ever. Everyone in the media says that or running game got worse cause of the loss of Jacobs( who looked good in his debut) is dead wrong.

TheShouldersOf
08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
David WIlson,

He also had more yard versus Trent Richardson Last year , and more yards after contact versus anyone last year

Moke
08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Tampa Bay sucks and Martin will suck under their system. I can see David Wilson having a better career.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
David WIlson,

He also had more yard versus Trent Richardson Last year , and more yards after contact versus anyone last yearYeah I never really cared for Trent he just came off as someone who just cares about himself yeah he played in the SEC but he is not going to be able to bully guys around in the NFL, I thought Wilson to me was the #1 back in the draft I just thought his style suited the NFL best and I am glad the Giants got him.

TheAnalyst
08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Tampa Bay sucks and Martin will suck under their system. I can see David Wilson having a better career.

lol, ok, Ill take the unbiased approach.

David Wilson looks very good out there, but our Oline is not what it was a few years ago and we havent really done much to try to improve it. If you notice, his runs were like 17, and 26, then 0, -1 and -5. He has the big play ability, and elusiveness and strength to keep runs alive when bottled up, but he got hit hard a few times in the backfield and that is exactly what scares me. Last year, Jacobs and Bradshaw and even Ware were all hit a ton behind the LOS.

Doug Martin is going to be a solid back for TB. TB doesnt have the greatest OL, but right now, I think it may be better then ours by getting Nicks.

The one thing that stands out to me though it the recent 1st rounders we chose worked for us. Nicks over Britt, JPP over Derek Morgan / Brandon Graham, Kenny Phillips over Tyrell Johnson. So hopefully Reese was telling the truth when he said he was taking Wilson over Martin.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Tampa Bay sucks and Martin will suck under their system. I can see David Wilson having a better career.Tampa Bay does suck I hate Greg S. he is a Belichick wanna be and Josh Freeman is overrated but I don't know how Martin is going to do we'll have to wait and see.

Moke
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

David Wilson looks very good out there, but our Oline is not what it was a few years ago and we havent really done much to try to improve it. If you notice, his runs were like 17, and 26, then 0, -1 and -5. He has the big play ability, and elusiveness and strength to keep runs alive when bottled up, but he got hit hard a few times in the backfield and that is exactly what scares me. Last year, Jacobs and Bradshaw and even Ware were all hit a ton behind the LOS.

Doug Martin is going to be a solid back for TB. TB doesnt have the greatest OL, but right now, I think it may be better then ours by getting Nicks.

The one thing that stands out to me though it the recent 1st rounders we chose worked for us. Nicks over Britt, JPP over Derek Morgan / Brandon Graham, Kenny Phillips over Tyrell Johnson. So hopefully Reese was telling the truth when he said he was taking Wilson over Martin.

Oh, so my view was biased. Go check my other posts from this account and my old account and you can see how "BIASED" I am.

My apologies for not agreeing with the "analyst"

TheAnalyst
08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh, so my view was biased. Go check my other posts from this account and my old account and you can see how "BIASED" I am.

My apologies for not agreeing with the "analyst"

Whoa, calm down...

Moke
08-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Whoa, calm down...

I am calmed, but you're first statement was provoking.

BlueSanta
08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I am a huge Wilson fan, but THIS YEAR Martin is likely to get more carries than Wilson. I think Wilson will have the better career tho

Carter.525
08-13-2012, 01:06 PM
both will be good.. I like Wilson more and do believe that Reese really did have a better grade on him..

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 01:08 PM

The one thing that stands out to me though it the recent 1st rounders we chose worked for us. Nicks over Britt, JPP over Derek Morgan / Brandon Graham, Kenny Phillips over Tyrell Johnson. So hopefully Reese was telling the truth when he said he was taking Wilson over Martin. I think JR was telling the truth cause he just seem like his type of player Wilson played in a better conference and has everything Martin has so it's like splitting hairs but I think he wanted him.
Our O-line is bad but with a year together under their belt I expect them to be a lot better and Wilson's style of runner is perfect for us we may lose yard sometimes but every back does, but anyway with his elusiveness he also can turn something into nothing and then you got the power with AB so I think the run game will be better then Tampa's cause of our QB being able to open up the run game with the pass 1st.

TheAnalyst
08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I am calmed, but you're first statement was provoking.

By saying TB sucks and Martin will suck under their system sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. Maybe its not. But I dont think TB sucks at all. Last year they were bad, sure, but they added a ton of fire power which will help them open up the field for Martin.

I actually think TB makes it back to the playoffs this season, or at least in the chase.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
By saying TB sucks and Martin will suck under their system sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. Maybe its not. But I dont think TB sucks at all. Last year they were bad, sure, but they added a ton of fire power which will help them open up the field for Martin.

I actually think TB makes it back to the playoffs this season, or at least in the chase. WOW really I don't think they will get in the Saints still are a very good team Atlanta is good Carolina is good and I think all those teams QB's are better the Freeman I think I think the Eagles, Giants, Packers, Bears, Saints, and 49ers get into they playoffs.

TheAnalyst
08-13-2012, 01:17 PM
WOW really I don't think they will get in the Saints still are a very good team Atlanta is good Carolina is good and I think all those teams QB's are better the Freeman I think I think the Eagles, Giants, Packers, Bears, Saints, and 49ers get into they playoffs. Everyone forgets they were 10-6 2 years ago and still have most the same guys, plus some new big time peices like Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks on offense and Mark Barron on D, who I think is going to be great in their defense. I think the NFC south is a very tough division so they may miss out, but I could see them getting 9 wins, at least go 8-8. They dont "suck".

Plus, their schedule is a lot easier then it has been the past few seasons. They have the 27th toughest schedule in the NFL as to our 1st toughest.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Everyone forgets they were 10-6 2 years ago and still have most the same guys, plus some new big time peices like Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks on offense and Mark Barron on D, who I think is going to be great in their defense. I think the NFC south is a very tough division so they may miss out, but I could see them getting 9 wins, at least go 8-8. They dont "suck".

Plus, their schedule is a lot easier then it has been the past few seasons. They have the 27th toughest schedule in the NFL as to our 1st toughest. Yeah ours is the toughest but we can compete with anyone they didn't have that tough of a schedule last year either and they were terrible all I'm saying is that there are better teams (3 better teams in their divison) that will make the playoffs they were 10-6 because teams didn't know what to expect from Freeman teams no have the time to prepare for him and it's only his third year their defense is getting long in the tooth they have a lot of work to do. Vincent Jackson was a good pickup but who else do they have? they got rid of Winslow and Martin is a rookie. To me Tampa Bay does suck and their division is tough and I think they will be in last place when all is said and done.

BlueSanta
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Everyone forgets they were 10-6 2 years ago and still have most the same guys, plus some new big time peices like Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks on offense and Mark Barron on D, who I think is going to be great in their defense. I think the NFC south is a very tough division so they may miss out, but I could see them getting 9 wins, at least go 8-8. They dont "suck".

Plus, their schedule is a lot easier then it has been the past few seasons. They have the 27th toughest schedule in the NFL as to our 1st toughest.

I agree. I do not think the Bucs are anywhere near as bad as they were last year. Raheem Morris was a very bad HC and the organization wanted to fire him half way through the season but could not find an adequate replacement. But, he knew he was done long b4 seasons end. His players also knew and stopped trying.

There are a lot of good young players on that bucs team. People forget 2 years ago they went 10-6, and did it with 10 rookies starting. Those players are still there and Schiano is a better coach than Morris. I am not a fantasy football guy, but if I were I would look hard at Blount and Martin as picks. They will get a lot of opportunities because Schiano is typically a run 1st coach. So I expect Martin will be a big part of thier offense and will likely get more carries this year than Wilson.

I also think Lamar Miller will have a big impact in Miami. The reports down here have him doing very well in practices.

However, I still think Wilson will have the best career and be the biggest impact player, barring injuries.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree. I do not think the Bucs are anywhere near as bad as they were last year. Raheem Morris was a very bad HC and the organization wanted to fire him half way through the season but could not find an adequate replacement. But, he knew he was done long b4 seasons end. His players also knew and stopped trying.

There are a lot of good young players on that bucs team. People forget 2 years ago they went 10-6, and did it with 10 rookies starting. Those players are still there and Schiano is a better coach than Morris. I am not a fantasy football guy, but if I were I would look hard at Blount and Martin as picks. They will get a lot of opportunities because Schiano is typically a run 1st coach. So I expect Martin will be a big part of thier offense and will likely get more carries this year than Wilson.

I also think Lamar Miller will have a big impact in Miami. The reports down here have him doing very well in practices.

However, I still think Wilson will have the best career and be the biggest impact player, barring injuries. I don't think you guys can use that excuse of they were a 10-6 team 2 years ago cause defenses found out a way to stop Freeman and Raheem Morris wasn't the only problem players have to preform too and they didn't I thinkt they did get better this year but to say they will make the playoffs when you got at least 11 other teams that are better is dead wrong. You got the Packers, Lions, Giants, Eagles, even Dallas, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, Bears and the Panthers **** even the Seahawks imo are better so where is this team going to compete for a playoff spot? They suck Freeman is overrated he was proclaimed the new big Ben but he's not even close the NFC is stack and you need a very good above average QB to win games and I don't think freeman is that guy.

Carter.525
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I will always compare Eli to Big Ben, & Rivers

Nicks to Maclin, Crabtree, Britt & Harvin

and Wilson to Martin

Moke
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM

I actually think TB makes it back to the playoffs this season, or at least in the chase.

Sorry that I offended you while I offended the Tampa Bay Buccs. Yes, they suck.

TheAnalyst
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't think you guys can use that excuse of they were a 10-6 team 2 years ago cause defenses found out a way to stop Freeman and Raheem Morris wasn't the only problem players have to preform too and they didn't I thinkt they did get better this year but to say they will make the playoffs when you got at least 11 other teams that are better is dead wrong. You got the Packers, Lions, Giants, Eagles, even Dallas, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, Bears and the Panthers **** even the Seahawks imo are better so where is this team going to compete for a playoff spot? They suck Freeman is overrated he was proclaimed the new big Ben but he's not even close the NFC is stack and you need a very good above average QB to win games and I don't think freeman is that guy.

Not sure that makes a lot of sense. Defenses found a way to stop Freeman? They stopped the wntire offense while the players pratically gave up, but now he has a new coach with a new offensive philosophy. Completely new. I bet Schiano makes this team work hard and competitive again like in 2010. That running combo of Blount and Martin will be nasty. And GS is a run first, build the trenches type coach which will help Freeman imensely, along with adding a prolific WR like Jackson. I could easily see Freeman bounce back and have a top 10 QB year.

TheAnalyst
08-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Sorry that I offended you while I offended the Tampa Bay Buccs. Yes, they suck.

You didnt offend me Moke. lol. I guess only time will tell whose opinion is correct.

Moke
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
You didnt offend me Moke. lol. I guess only time will tell whose opinion is correct.

;)

10char10char10char

BlueSanta
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't think you guys can use that excuse of they were a 10-6 team 2 years ago cause defenses found out a way to stop Freeman and Raheem Morris wasn't the only problem players have to preform too and they didn't I thinkt they did get better this year but to say they will make the playoffs when you got at least 11 other teams that are better is dead wrong. You got the Packers, Lions, Giants, Eagles, even Dallas, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, Bears and the Panthers **** even the Seahawks imo are better so where is this team going to compete for a playoff spot? They suck Freeman is overrated he was proclaimed the new big Ben but he's not even close the NFC is stack and you need a very good above average QB to win games and I don't think freeman is that guy.

I'm not saying they are suddenly gonna be good. Im not even saying they will make the playoffs or that they are as good as they were 2 seasons ago. But, they are not as bad as last season indicated. That was a team that had moved on from Morris. They do have a ton of young talent on which to build is all I am saying. I also think they will improve under Schiano.

Again, even if it was a bit lucky they won 10 games with 10 rookies starting. No other team in NFL history has a winning record with 10 starting rookies. So there IS young talent in tampa. I do think Freeman is overrated, but he is still a decent young QB. Schiano has coached teams with far worse QBs into successful seasons. I still think Tampa will be improved. I also think they will pound the rock.

Since this thread is about Martin and Wilson I think it is a very fair point I made when I said under Schiano they will run more then they did under Morris and it is likely Martin will get more carries because of it.

twinlakes91
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM

I wish folks would let Wilson get at least his big toe wet before critisizing him. SO, he had a few minus runs. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?? :confused::confused: The guys an infant as far as the pro's are concerned.

You always have to look mainly at the upside of a rookie performance in the preseason, because as he gains expierience, and physical strength, the rest of the negatives will work themselves out in the wash.

My goodness...did anyone see him as he accelerated around the corners and up the middle. This guy is for real. Mark my words. He will make us forget about Jacobs real quick!

titwio
08-13-2012, 03:46 PM
David Wilson with utter absolute and complete bias.

giantsfan420
08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
i think wilson, who has better speed/quickness/agility/athleticism will be the btter rb compared to martin. the one thing martin has at this moment over wilson is martin is more nfl ready. besides that, I think Wilson has way more big play ability and i was pleasantly surprised to see wilson running between the tackles well.

i remmeber leading to the draft, ppl were high on martin and i just didnt see it. i mean i liked his game, but i didnt see 1rst round measurements, i was kinda relieved when TB traded to get him. I thought that meant we were taking randle, but turns out we took wilson who had 1rst round measurements and we ended up getting randle last pick in the 2nd. worked perfectly imho

BlueSanta
08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
i think wilson, who has better speed/quickness/agility/athleticism will be the btter rb compared to martin. the one thing martin has at this moment over wilson is martin is more nfl ready. besides that, I think Wilson has way more big play ability and i was pleasantly surprised to see wilson running between the tackles well.

i remember leading to the draft, ppl were high on martin and i just didnt see it. i mean i liked his game, but i didnt see 1rst round measurements, i was kinda relieved when TB traded to get him. I thought that meant we were taking randle, but turns out we took wilson who had 1rst round measurements and we ended up getting randle last pick in the 2nd. worked perfectly imho

I agree with you, kinda.

I had no problem with Martin as a player. In fact, I liked him. But, my problem stemmed from the fact that his meteoric rise came initially from his performance at the senior bowl practice week where he shown a good solid all around complete package. He ran well, blocked well and caught it well all week and by all accounts. It was based on this that many had him vaulting over Wilson as the #2 RB in the class.

My problem was that Wilson was a junior and therefor was not invited to the senior bowl. So he didn't get to show his wares.

Martin deserved every accolade teams were giving him for his good performance at the senior bowl. But Wilson did not really deserve losing ground because of something he could not attend. When the combine came around Wilson was, by most accounts, the best performing RB. He ran fast, his explosion jumps were off the charts blowing away all other Rbs by over 9 inches, and he was the best performing back in the pass catching drills. So in every chance he had, he shone. But he just didnt get as many chaces as Martin to shine in the offseason because of the senior bowl. And you cant really test pass protection at the combine like you can at the senior bowl. So I understood why Martin was above Wilson on a lot of charts. He did perform well this offseason. But, so did Wilson and I do think that had DW been able to go to the senior bowl he would have remained the #2 rated back on almost everyone's boards because nobody out there can convince me that DW isnt a better pure runner.

08-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Wilson is going to be far better at KO ret. ...which will be his main responsibility (and more important to us ) ..for now.. as for RB ...Martin seems to be the steadier, more straight ahead runner..with our guy being the home run hitter..

slipknottin
08-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I dont think they will be used the same.

Martin is clearly the #1 in Tampa, and will be worked and probably over worked. Assuming both backs stay healthy, I would very confidently say that Martin will have far more touches than Wilson.

Wilson at least for this season, will be only a package guy, maybe only 5-7 touches a game.

TheEnigma
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Unless Wilson is able to break a lot of tackles in the regular season, I can't see him getting enough yards to compete with the vast amount of touches Martin will get this year. Plus Martin arguably has the best G in the NFL run blocking for him so that helps just a little bit too...

Wilson will probably be more of a return force for us unless he breaks out in these upcoming preseason games to the point that he's too valuable to use on ST.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Not sure that makes a lot of sense. Defenses found a way to stop Freeman? They stopped the wntire offense while the players pratically gave up, but now he has a new coach with a new offensive philosophy. Completely new. I bet Schiano makes this team work hard and competitive again like in 2010. That running combo of Blount and Martin will be nasty. And GS is a run first, build the trenches type coach which will help Freeman imensely, along with adding a prolific WR like Jackson. I could easily see Freeman bounce back and have a top 10 QB year. What's so hard to understand? I'm saying that rookies when they get figure out by opposing defenses they tend to show their true colors and Josh Freeman was an example of that. I don't think he can read complicated defenses I think he's an average QB and to say that he is going to be a top 10 QB is just flat wrong I can name 10 better in the NFC alone.

Eliscruzzz
08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I dont think they will be used the same.

Martin is clearly the #1 in Tampa, and will be worked and probably over worked. Assuming both backs stay healthy, I would very confidently say that Martin will have far more touches than Wilson.

Wilson at least for this season, will be only a package guy, maybe only 5-7 touches a game.Yeah of coarse Martin will get more touches cause they are a traditional 1 back running team the Giants usually switch between two and sometimes three, but I just think Wilson is the better all around back can catch better can cut better more explosive and can run with power. I also think he's going to be better cause he has the ability to make something out of nothing which I don't think Martin has since he's more of a straight line runner but we'll see I hope we have the better RB lol.

Drez
08-13-2012, 07:53 PM

TB's system is going to be very similar to ours, as Sullivan is their new OC and said he was going to install a system like ours.

BlueSanta
08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
What's so hard to understand? I'm saying that rookies when they get figure out by opposing defenses they tend to show their true colors and Josh Freeman was an example of that. I don't think he can read complicated defenses I think he's an average QB and to say that he is going to be a top 10 QB is just flat wrong I can name 10 better in the NFC alone.

This thread is about martin and Wilson tho, and your saying Freeman isnt that good(while likely very true) only helps support the claims by me and others that the Bucs will hand the ball to the Rbs more.

It would be a very different system from what Schiano ran previously if that team became a dominant throwing team. He is a coach who likes the play smashmouth football with some surprise big plays downfield. It stands to reason Martin and Blount will, if they remain healthy, have a ton of carries.

Drez
08-13-2012, 08:04 PM
David Wilson looks very good out there, but our Oline is not what it was a few years ago and we havent really done much to try to improve it. If you notice, his runs were like 17, and 26, then 0, -1 and -5. He has the big play ability, and elusiveness and strength to keep runs alive when bottled up, but he got hit hard a few times in the backfield and that is exactly what scares me. .

I wish folks would let Wilson get at least his big toe wet before critisizing him. SO, he had a few minus runs. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?? :confused::confused:

I think he also forgot that Wilson was running behind the 3rd string OL, too.

BigBlueAllDay
08-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Jumping ahead here, but I think David Wilson is going to be the next Ladainian Tomlinson. I know it's only been one preseason game...

rcrane
08-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Wilson is insane with breaking tackles. I dont know how he keeps his legs moving when he has like 3 guys on him. I think he might be our #1 back damn quick, unless he was just running against complete scrubs in that first preseason game. He's gotta be the easy #2 though.

Mohann
08-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I think Wilson is going to be beast. He just seems to be moving faster than everyone else. I'd put him in the backfield, and have an option to shift him to slot receiver vs some defensive formations. I think he could provide devastating flexibility and create mismatches.