PDA

View Full Version : After this Sunday, Jets game is meaningless

NobodyMan
12-12-2011, 10:12 AM
The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins. Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season. Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now? I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

On the other hand, the Skins actually looked very sharp against the Pats (game was on TV in my part of the USA) yesterday and should have won - they definitely did enough to win (that Pats defense is awful, by the way - no way they go far in AFC playoffs).

buddy33
12-12-2011, 10:14 AM
That game has been meaningless for weeks now.

SweetZombieJesus
12-12-2011, 10:19 AM
We can still help our seeding -- if NO and SF slip (take their foot off the gas, it happens) the bye week is in the cards.

And the Jets are the #6 seed right now, we can potentially help knock them out of the picture.

Morehead State
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins. Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season. Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now? I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

On the other hand, the Skins actually looked very sharp against the Pats (game was on TV in my part of the USA) yesterday and should have won - they definitely did enough to win (that Pats defense is awful, by the way - no way they go far in AFC playoffs).
</P>

Wrong again.</P>

If we beat the Jets and Washington and the Cowboy lose one or two, we could clinch the division before the Dallas game.</P>

We actually have a chance to make the Dallas game meaningless.</P>

NY_Eli
12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins.* Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season.* Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now?* I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual* - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

If we beat the Jets and Washington and the Cowboy lose one or two, we could clinch the division before the Dallas game.</P>

+1. And if you want to make the argument that the redskins are an easy win I remind you of week 1 this season.

TuckYou
12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
We can still help our seeding -- if NO and SF slip (take their foot off the gas, it happens) the bye week is in the cards.

</P>

Nope...</P>

49ers and Saints are 10-3. We can get 10 wins to ties them if they lose all their games, but they still both own a tiebreaker over us by winning head to head.</P>

Best shot we have is the division and the 4 seed.</P>

Morehead State
12-12-2011, 10:25 AM

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

+1. And if you want to make the argument that the redskins are an easy win I remind you of week 1 this season.</P>

If Dallas beats TB and loses to Philly and we win both, I believe we have the common game tie breaker. We would be even in the division and common opponents is the next tie breaker, NOT conference record.</P>

The Jets game could very well be for the division for us.</P>

brad
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
No game is meaningless, every game matters until the playoff spot is clinched. With the way the Giants have been playing, they need to have that mentality until the season is over.

BlueJayC
12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

+1. And if you want to make the argument that the redskins are an easy win I remind you of week 1 this season.</P>

If Dallas beats TB and loses to Philly and we win both, I believe we have the common game tie breaker. We would be even in the division and common opponents is the next tie breaker, NOT conference record.</P>

The Jets game could very well be for the division for us.</P>

</P>

Correct.......</P>

BlueReign
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM

</p>

Wrong again.</p>

If we beat the Jets and Washington and the Cowboy lose one or two, we could clinch the division before the Dallas game.</p>

We actually have a chance to make the Dallas game meaningless.</p>
This. I'd much rather not have the season riding on a Cowboy game.

GameTime
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM

</P>

please.....the team has 3 games to go and are tied for first place. They need to win all three games. I dont care about playoff computations. They need to win out. The defense needs to get way better or even somewhat better over the next 3 weeks.</P>

When you are tied for first with three games left and one of those games is against the team you are tied with......there are NO meaningless games. </P>

GMENAGAIN
12-12-2011, 10:54 AM

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

And yesterday, when the Skins came very close to upsetting the Pats . . . . . </P>

JJC7301
12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
That's been the Giants mentality for the past few years, and it always burns them. Play to win every single game.

FDNY Fitzy
12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
The Jets game is now basically meaningless - unless the Giants lose to the Redskins.* Even if Dallas beats Tampa AND Philly and we drop the game against the Jets, we still control our destiny by beating the Cowboys the last week of the season.* Last night's game was HUGE, next week's game is HUGE, but the Jets game isn't huge.

So: if it comes down to the Jets game being completely meaningless to our playoff run - do we rest up Boley, Bradshaw, Osi, and all the other dudes who are really toughing it out right now?* I know that's not TC or the Giants way, but this year has been more brutal than usual* - and after we beat the Skins on Sunday, it doesn't matter one iota what happens to us in the Jets game.

</p>

Wrong again.</p>

If we beat the Jets and Washington and the Cowboy lose one or two, we could clinch the division before the Dallas game.</p>

We actually have a chance to make the Dallas game meaningless.</p>
This. I'd much rather not have the season riding on a Cowboy game.

We are 7-6, so what we'd "rather" for a playoff scenario is really a luxury that we have't earned.

miked1958
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

</P>

thats what we want to have it clinched prior to the last game. That way we can use it just as a tuneup to get guys ready that have been out..and maybe work in some plays for the Rooks..and then rest impt guys so they dont get hurt for playoffs.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

</P>

we need the jets game win and a dallas loss to philly in order for the last game against the cowboys to not matter.</P>

Spizi
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

Exactly. I'd rather have the Dallas game be meaningless so we can rest up after we beat the jets down.

Ruttiger711
12-12-2011, 01:01 PM
meaningless or not, on christmas eve - I believe this is going to have a playoff atmosphere about it....

i think its going to be a huge game - plus im going to it... with 4 minutes to go last night, I was ready to give up those tickets.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-12-2011, 01:04 PM

</P>

Wrong again.</P>

Exactly. I'd rather have the Dallas game be meaningless so we can rest up after we beat the jets down.</P>

this explains EVERYTHING</P>

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/33851/nfc-east-playoff-scenarios-update</P>

Mr Excitement
12-12-2011, 01:22 PM
No game is meaningless, every game matters until the playoff spot is clinched. With the way the Giants have been playing, they need to have that mentality until the season is over.

Exactly....no team should ever go into a game and say...well we dont need this one...Thats ridiculous...of course we are talking the Giants here...

NYSPORTS
12-12-2011, 01:29 PM
How is the Jets game meaningless?

There is an overall record and if things break right the Cowboys game will be meaningless.

titwio
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
A game against the Jets is never meaningless.