PDA

View Full Version : We've had enough time to settle in on the new boards............

jomo
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
It is time to rate it on a 10 point scale where 10 is absolutely perfect.

Then tell us why you rate it as such and tell us whether you like it more or less than the old boards.

Let me start

I rate it a 9.1 (nothing gets a 10 from me)

I like the functionality, the ease of cutting and pasting, navigation etc.

Messaging etc is so much easier. I also like the ease of posting links.

I have seen some of the slowness mentioned by others when moving through internal links. Forward and back in the browser is fine.

I would add better and more smileys and icons

It is much better than the old boards.

One last thank-you to the mods and whoever is responsible for fixing early issues with great spead.

Here is where I would like to insert the beer mug.

yoeddy
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't like the font and the visual design...functionally, it's good...

Moke
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
The board definitely gets a 10/10 for me. It's easy to navigate, nice emoticons, nice use of the text editor etc.

The only thing I want right now is to be able to get this forum on a smartphone app so there is smooth accessing of the boards.

FBomb
08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm giving it a 7 based on the fact that I still have issues replying sometimes and there seems to be a large amnount of spam threads.

FBomb
08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
I also don't care for the difficultly is editing posts.

Eli TO Shockey
08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Overall I'd say an 8/10. Easy to use, easy to post.

I hate having to sign in every 10 minutes. I also find it very difficult to use on my smart phone. Clicking on one link sends me to diffent links. Sometimes , I need to click about an inch higher to get to where I want to go. Anyone else having this issue? Besides that, I am very happy with this MB

jomo
08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I also don't care for the difficultly is editing posts.I think the editing is much easier than the old board. Maybe we are doing it differently? I hit edit, my post pops up, I edit the post then hit save. That's it.

jomo
08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm giving it a 7 based on the fact that I still have issues replying sometimes and there seems to be a large amnount of spam threads.There are a large number of spammers floating through here.

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm giving it a 7 based on the fact that I still have issues replying sometimes and there seems to be a large amnount of spam threads.

SPAM is just a curse we have to live with. Every poster can help by reporting spam when they see it. We aren't here 24/7 (although I come close lol). But I have elected to get an email when a poster reports spam or any infraction so, unless I'm sleeping, I try to login wherever I am, including via my Android. We do our best to keep up with it and, I think, we've gotten rid of all spam in pretty quick fashion.

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 12:41 PM

I hate having to sign in every 10 minutes. I also find it very difficult to use on my smart phone. Clicking on one link sends me to diffent links. Sometimes , I need to click about an inch higher to get to where I want to go. Anyone else having this issue? Besides that, I am very happy with this MB

That is an issue on cell phones. I can tap my screen and make the font larger which makes it hard to read everything because I have to scroll to see it all, but when I need to click on something it's much easier

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I also don't care for the difficultly is editing posts.

What kind of problems are you having? It's really a pretty simple process to edit.

That Dude
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
7 IM not found of the layout. I was also locked out of my old username.

jomo
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
SPAM is just a curse we have to live with. Every poster can help by reporting spam when they see it. We aren't here 24/7 (although I come close lol). But I have elected to get an email when a poster reports spam or any infraction so, unless I'm sleeping, I try to login wherever I am, including via my Android. We do our best to keep up with it and, I think, we've gotten rid of all spam in pretty quick fashion.What is the best way to do this, sending a PM to you with the title of the thread?

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
What is the best way to do this, sending a PM to you with the title of the thread?

There is a lower task bar under every post. There is a triangle on the left side of that lower bar. Cursor over that triangle and you will see Report Post. Just follow the instructions and we get a report. I get it whether I'm logged in or not.

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
7 IM not found of the layout. I was also locked out of my old username.

Click on Contact Us at the bottom of the screen and we'll see if we can help with your old username.

jomo
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
There is a lower task bar under every post. There is a triangle on the left side of that lower bar. Cursor over that triangle and you will see Report Post. Just follow the instructions and we get a report. I get it whether I'm logged in or not.Got it, thanks............and you are being way too responsive! :D

nhpgiantsfan
08-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I give it a nine. The only thing I miss is when i log into the boards, I used to see a list on the side of all of the threads that I have posted in. Maybe there is an option where I can get that again that I don't know about, but otherwise it's great.

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Got it, thanks............and you are being way too responsive! :D

We need to be more responsive to legitimate issues if we want to provide the best experience possible. A lot of improvements in the background help us moderate. For example, if you see spam in more than one post from the same username just report one of the posts. We can then delete all of the posts from that username simultaneoulsy while executing a lifetime ban all in one process.

easterbeast
08-16-2012, 01:30 PM
hmmm........im getting used to it, I am very behind on the features though.

GiantX
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I looks nice, but for some reason my avatar doesn't show in my posts

Moke
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
That is an issue on cell phones. I can tap my screen and make the font larger which makes it hard to read everything because I have to scroll to see it all, but when I need to click on something it's much easier

Tapatalk or ForumRunner eases that pain by giving you a nice smooth access

easterbeast
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
I looks nice, but for some reason my avatar doesn't show in my posts

i had this problem before..........i think you have to actually edit your avatar.
i forget the details, but i think it will work after you use that feature

TheAnalyst
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Too slow... Id give it a 8 out of 10. But being slow to load and reply kills me, especially on a smartphone.

FBomb
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I think the editing is much easier than the old board. Maybe we are doing it differently? I hit edit, my post pops up, I edit the post then hit save. That's it.

For me i hit edit post and an empty box appears. below it is an option to give a reason for editiing and a save post button. How do I edit a blank page?

FBomb
08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
What kind of problems are you having? It's really a pretty simple process to edit.

There's no text showing in the box.

Giantz4Life
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I hate having to sign in every 10 minutes.

Next time when you sign in hit "Remember Me" right under the Username and PW boxes. That should fix this problem.

Mod_C
08-16-2012, 03:32 PM
There's no text showing in the box.
When you click on edit, you should get a box with the original post in it. The optional box asking for a reason for the edit can be ignored. Immediately above that should be the dialog box with the test you want to edit. Now, if you are try to edit via a phone you may have to scroll around for the test box due to size limitations. Make sure you are not clicking on Reply as that will give you an empty dialog box.

Let me know if this is helpful.

FBomb
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
When you click on edit, you should get a box with the original post in it. The optional box asking for a reason for the edit can be ignored. Immediately above that should be the dialog box with the test you want to edit. Now, if you are try to edit via a phone you may have to scroll around for the test box due to size limitations. Make sure you are not clicking on Reply as that will give you an empty dialog box.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Nope...the dialog box is always blank. Weird. It's ok....I just have to learn to spell things right the first time!!:)

byron
08-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Nope...the dialog box is always blank. Weird. It's ok....I just have to learn to spell things right the first time!!:) this might help If you haven't done this yet......top of this page under whats new banner....you will see forum actions , in the drop down click on... general setting in the next window scroll down the page to ....Miscellaneous Options....and select....Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing...fixed alot problems I was having ...

FBomb
08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
this might help If you haven't done this yet......top of this page under whats new banner....you will see forum actions , in the drop down click on... general setting in the next window scroll down the page to ....Miscellaneous Options....and select....Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing...fixed alot problems I was having ...

Thanks but it didn't help. No big deal....just have to be smarter the first go around

chasjay
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM
My only complaint is that I haven't found a simple way to get back to the giants.com main page. On the old boards I could just click the big NY logo at the upper left and it would take me there - now it takes me to the Forums main page. Maybe I'm missing something.

thegiantsrule10
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Its been easy for me and i like that they put everything in categories.

jomo
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Nope...the dialog box is always blank. Weird. It's ok....I just have to learn to spell things right the first time!!:)If they counted these things, I'd be the one with the greatest number of posts that are edited to tighten up my spelling. I don't know what it is with my eyes that I see it when it's been posted but not when it's sitting there in front of me still being composed.

byron
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
My only complaint is that I haven't found a simple way to get back to the giants.com main page. On the old boards I could just click the big NY logo at the upper left and it would take me there - now it takes me to the Forums main page. Maybe I'm missing something. yea I haven't found a link to the main page either ....depending or what browser your using you can add it to the favorites bar if you us MSIE......go to the main page click on favorites add to the favorites bar should be in the dorp down click on it .... you should see it just below you menu bar....click and go

byron
08-16-2012, 05:05 PM
If they counted these things, I'd be the one with the greatest number of posts that are edited to tighten up my spelling. I don't know what it is with my eyes that I see it when it's been posted but not when it's sitting there in front of me still being composed. Hahah I thought I was the only one who done that....I've been using a spellcheck add on lately that I check tthen post ...I forget alot tho ..lol

edit:: by the way I like the new board just fine it runs better for me using the FireFox browser rather than MSIE

DemandedAce
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Using this forum on my iPhone is a pain in the ***.The links don't work properly and it re-sizes all strangely, I often have to click the thread or poster below the one that I actually want to get there and sometimes they don't even open and I have to hold-click to open a new tab. Frustrating to say the very least

Captain Chaos
08-16-2012, 06:15 PM
7.5: It certainly is an upgrade over the last board with some great functionality upgrades; however, there are some annoying things that exist like quickly getting back to the main message board out of the threads.