PDA

View Full Version : Honest expectations from Cruz

nhpgiantsfan
08-17-2012, 09:43 AM
What do you all expect from Cruz this year. I don't think it is fair for us to expect him to put up another 1500 yards this year. Teams just aren't going to let that happen again.

With that being said what kind of numbers would you be happy with out of him this year?

I actually think Nicks, if healthy, has a monster year this year taking advantage of the respect that Cruz will get.

Snappinnecks
08-17-2012, 09:46 AM
900-1000 yards. He's no longer an unknown and the coverage teams will roll to him will back that statement up. The guy that is going to see benefit of that is going to be our new 3rd WR.

GameTime
08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Cruz's numbers this year will rely heavily on whether a legit #3 WR steps up and also if the TE become bigger in the passing game.
But I dont think it's out of the question for him to get 1,100 yards+ and 6 or 7 TDs.

GiantsDynasty
08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
I expect his TD # to go up and his yards to go down. 1000+ yards and 12+ TDs.

Toadofsteel
08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
If cruz's yardage goes down it will be because he will be seeing much more double coverages, which opens the field up for others.

GameTime
08-17-2012, 10:05 AM
If cruz's yardage goes down it will be because he will be seeing much more double coverages, which opens the field up for others.
having his yards go down from 1500+ will mean he didnt have as many 65 yard receptions which is highly likely. Also how many WR's get 1500+ yards season after season???? Thats a career year for sure.

Moke
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
He's still going to have a pretty good year. I have a feeling he's going to be even better on his route-running (yes, even BETTER) than it already is.

But, teams will cover him more and ****. Be careful though, because if you're double-covering Cruz, you're leaving Nicks available. And if Nicks isn't, I have a feeling Randle will get ample opportunity.

I always liked that 1 guy who can put up statistics, but this is a team sport and I choose our WRs over many WR tandems in the league

TheAnalyst
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
He is a playmaker. In the slot, nearly impossible to cover. Ask Carlos Rodgers. 1400yards. Cruuuuuuuuuuzz. Coverage is still going to roll to Nicks. We have 2 great WRs.

talbot
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I look at it like this; Cruz has the route running ability of Steve Smith (#12) with more playmaking ability. I agree with what you guys have said, 1500 yards in back to back seasons is really tough. However, I see him in the ballpark of: 80 Rec - 1,150 Yds - 8 TDs, and being one of the most dangerous 3rd down threats in the league.

BlueMetal 40
08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
900-1000 yards. He's no longer an unknown and the coverage teams will roll to him will back that statement up. The guy that is going to see benefit of that is going to be our new 3rd WR.
By mid-season, which do you think more likely..... Our 3rd wide benefitting, or D.Wilson breaking off 35 yarders because the only guys anywhere near the LOS will be LB's that won't be able to sneeze on Wilson's speed?

Rat_bastich
08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't necessarily think his numbers will go down because of double coverage or not being an unknown. I think his numbers will go down because our running game should be better. If our running game is better then Eli won't have to toss it as much.

RoanokeFan
08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
It depends on when Nicks starts. They complement each other and can be the best tandem in the NFL. I think Cruz has just shown us the tip of the iceberg, talent wise. If he can handle the increase in coverage that is sure to come at him, there's no telling where his ceiling is. His head is IN the game, he carries a chip on his shoulder like the badge of honor it is.

It's a team sport, and everyone has to do their job on every play. We get that, and personal stats won't matter.

Morehead State
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't necessarily think his numbers will go down because of double coverage or not being an unknown. I think his numbers will go down because our running game should be better. If our running game is better then Eli won't have to toss it as much.
Cruz will be a solid 1200 yards, 8-10 TD guy. He's too hard to cover and too much of a playmaker to think any less.

JimC
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
We will run the ball more this year, so his yards will go down. We will use more screen passes with Wilson, so his yards will go down. We will throw more to the tight end, so his yards will go down. I'll say 800 yards and 8 td's.

Morehead State
08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
We will run the ball more this year, so his yards will go down. We will use more screen passes with Wilson, so his yards will go down. We will throw more to the tight end, so his yards will go down. I'll say 800 yards and 8 td's.
So you're saying that those factors will be responsible for Cruz's productivity in yards to be cut in half?
Sounds like a far fetched prediction to me.

GameTime
08-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Don't even know if and how much Wilson will play. TE will get not may more targets then it did last season. At least not enough to cut out Cruz too much.
They will run more?? Only if its effective and we dont know that yet.
Also to go from 1500 to 800 because of those reasons....nah.

jomo
08-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Cruz will be a solid 1200 yards, 8-10 TD guy. He's too hard to cover and too much of a playmaker to think any less.And they can't just take him out of the game because we have Nicks who IMO is better and several other weapons. I agree, he will still get his share.

RoanokeFan
08-17-2012, 02:31 PM

That's putting a lot on a rookie's shoulders and a new veteran tight end. Wilson has a lot of upside but he still has to earn his slot in the rotation. Bennett, while he looked good last week, has to sow he can be consistent.

TheAnalyst
08-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Getting a speed running back like Wilson isn't going to help the run game. Fixing the oline will, and we haven't touched the oline. In fact, we may be worse then last year. Eli will have a junk load of yards again due to the fact we can't run the ball. 32nd in the league last year. Unless we have Barry Sanders or Walter Peyton in their prime, a running back won't change much.

RoanokeFan
08-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Getting a speed running back like Wilson isn't going to help the run game. Fixing the oline will, and we haven't touched the oline. In fact, we may be worse then last year. Eli will have a junk load of yards again due to the fact we can't run the ball. 32nd in the league last year. Unless we have Barry Sanders or Walter Peyton in their prime, a running back won't change much.

What the OLine needs is to be healthy and to play together. The organization believes the individuals have the talent, now they have to get in synch.

jomo
08-17-2012, 02:42 PM
What the OLine needs is to be healthy and to play together. The organization believes the individuals have the talent, now they have to get in synch.Let's rate the OL when healthy

Snee A
Baas B+
Boothe B
Diehl C-
Beatty We really don't know but no better than a B.

Then there's the problem with our depth.

I'll say it again: we need to sign 2 NFL grade OL before the season and one of them needs to be a capable starter at LT.

Ntegrase96
08-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Probably a little less yards, a little more touchdowns.

Something like 1200 yards 11-13 touchdowns.

I'm interested to see if he or Nicks will have the better year statistically.

jomo
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Probably a little less yards, a little more touchdowns.

Something like 1200 yards 11-13 touchdowns.

I'm interested to see if he or Nicks will have the better year statistically.I think it's one of those deals where whoever gets less attention from the secondary will have a bigger season. Eli is at that stage of his career where he'll see that and distribute more balls to the guy who's surrounded less. Could go either way.

BigBlue1971
08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
i just mentioned in another post that i havent seen anyone cover Cruz to this point! he is explosive and will command significant attention this season!

with our other receivers Cruz will get his chances. he may not exceed last years numbers but he will still in the top echelon of nfl receivers.

nygmen90
08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
I feel it really depends on which receiver teams are going to put more attention...if its Nicks then Cruz's stats go up and vice versa. anyways he should be productive this year I predict 7td's 1000yrds

BlueSanta
08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
The big question around Cruz is on the outside. Last year, teams were afraid of our outside weapons and Cruz made them pay in the middle. This year I think they will pay attention to Cruz and Nicks and make whoever our 3rd wr is beat them. Be it Barden or Randle, that guy will have a HUGE opportunity to make teams pay because they guy will get the lax coverage like Cruz did for much of last year.

Ntegrase96
08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
I think it's one of those deals where whoever gets less attention from the secondary will have a bigger season. Eli is at that stage of his career where he'll see that and distribute more balls to the guy who's surrounded less. Could go either way.

Yeah it should come down to the way teams defend them.

I still think Nicks is the better of the two, but Cruz's 'it' factor seems harder to contain-- he seems more dangerous on any given play. It will be interesting to see how teams handle it.

Ntegrase96
08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
The big question around Cruz is on the outside. Last year, teams were afraid of our outside weapons and Cruz made them pay in the middle. This year I think they will pay attention to Cruz and Nicks and make whoever our 3rd wr is beat them. Be it Barden or Randle, that guy will have a HUGE opportunity to make teams pay because they guy will get the lax coverage like Cruz did for much of last year.

Any news on Randle? I haven't seen much on the boards with regard to his progress.

BigBlue1971
08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Any news on Randle? I haven't seen much on the boards with regard to his progress.

havent heard too much about his practice this week but he did have a coupla catches including a touchdown in the game last week.

i think Cruz/Nicks/Randle could very well be the nfls top tandem!

SweetZombieJesus
08-17-2012, 03:11 PM

All of his highlight reel plays last year were ALREADY in double coverage, what are they going to do, triple team him?

Anyway I think we try to get the running game rejuvenated and if that works, everybody's yardage goes down.

SackingMyths
08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah it should come down to the way teams defend them.

I still think Nicks is the better of the two, but Cruz's 'it' factor seems harder to contain-- he seems more dangerous on any given play. It will be interesting to see how teams handle it.

I agree that Nicks is slightly better overall. And the playoff run showed that Nicks is every bit as explosive - if not more - than Cruz. It's pick your poison - they really both need to be doubled. What the DC's gameplan is for who to roll coverage to will vary from game-to-game (and maybe even half-to-half). They'll both get theirs and Cruz is no fluke.

At the end of the day, Eli won't discriminate; he'll go to whoever's singled up every time.

Cruz- 1200 Yds - 10 Tds

Captain Chaos
08-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I think with the added emphasis on the run game and extra attention he will get 1000 yds is likely what we will see. Solid production all year long!

rainierjef
08-17-2012, 09:50 PM

you know we won't mind you switching over to the big blue.
j/k unless you really want to =/

he's had one catch for a TD in pres season where he's shown how to use his body to get infront of the defender and snag the ball at its highest point. coaches has praised him as being nfl ready, personally i would like to see him get a snap with the one's in this next pre season game to see his continutiy with Eli.

rainierjef
08-17-2012, 09:53 PM
\
i think Cruz/Nicks/Randle could very well be the nfls top tandem!

Simmer-down-naw
thats disrepectful to the other NFL top receiver tandems out there.
don't get me wrong i think they will be a potent group to deal with, but...
1. we don't know if cruz is going to produce what he did last year consistenly
2. we don't knwo what we have with Randle

NYGiants1411
08-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Was he not beating double coverages throughout the latter half of the season? Sorry if I'm mistaken but i don't remember the season too fondly. I do recall him beating double coverages. Either ways it's a lovely pick your poison situation to have.

Teams have to decide between double covering Nicks or Cruz. I honestly believe Cruz will have a good year, not as good as last year but not far off. He will benefit from the attention Nicks receives. He will also benefit if our 3rd WR ends up preforming well.

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 12:51 AM
im actually expecting a very steve smith 109 reception like season. I think he's gonna break that mark. eli and cruz are just on another wave length than anyone else and it cant be defended. if it is, nicks will burn u even worse. its either let nicks burn u real quick, or let cruz methodically burn you while also being able to burn u real quick (nicks is more downfield imo while cruz is more underneath who still goes deep and is great at YAC).

i think cruz is around 100 receptions, 1400 yards (14.something YPC avg) and 11 TD...scary thing is, I think Nicks has an even bigger season, just not as many receptions

im expecting "3rd and Cruuuuz" to be even better than 3rd and SMith

FlyingTruck
08-18-2012, 01:21 AM
A lot of you guys thought that Nick's numbers would go down after he started becoming more known..but they really haven't. Teams wont' be able to double team just one of them..I think they still see a lot of single coverage for the most part.

TheEnigma
08-18-2012, 01:33 AM
I think we'll get a sneak peek into Cruz's production for the regular season against the Jets tomorrow. With Nicks out, it's only reasonable to expect Revis will cover Cruz 1-on-1. If he can put up a solid performance against the best DB in the NFL, good things will come.

Drez
08-18-2012, 01:57 AM
All of his highlight reel plays last year were ALREADY in double coverage, what are they going to do, triple team him?Anyway I think we try to get the running game rejuvenated and if that works, everybody's yardage goes down. Tha isn't necessarily true. If we have a more effective running game, then we may have more sustained drives, which equals more total yardage.

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Tha isn't necessarily true. If we have a more effective running game, then we may have more sustained drives, which equals more total yardage.
and more points

Rat_bastich
08-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Tha isn't necessarily true. If we have a more effective running game, then we may have more sustained drives, which equals more total yardage.

You'll have more sustained drives but you'll also have it in shorter chunks from our running backs instead of our receivers...which is a clock killer. If the Giants are behind and they have no running game this year then you can expect the numbers to remain about the same or better. If the running game is effective then there is no need to throw all the time except to utilize what the running game has set up...a softened defense.

Also, if the running game is effective and the Giants do get ahead in games, then they will probably switch back to the run to kill the clock which would also knock the numbers down.

There are only so many balls to toss around(that wasn't for you Harooni). Hicks, Cruz, 3rd WR, TE, RB and then running the ball(if effective) should drop the numbers overall...which means a balance has been found.

It's not a bad thing if Eli's, Nick's and Cruz' numbers go down...as long as Bradshaw's, Ware's and whomever's goes up...and of course Wilson contributes.

BlueMetal 40
08-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I think we'll get a sneak peek into Cruz's production for the regular season against the Jets tomorrow. With Nicks out, it's only reasonable to expect Revis will cover Cruz 1-on-1. If he can put up a solid performance against the best DB in the NFL, good things will come.
Great point, and I just realized with that, the battle on the other side. Barden vs. Cromartie..... lets see how Barden handles the size of Cromartie. This may be the challenge Ramses needs to thrust him to the front of the battle for 3rd spot.

RagTime Blue
08-18-2012, 10:36 AM
LOL. . .last year was just a "warm-up" season for Cruz.

SackingMyths
08-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Cruz vs. Revis. I'm stoked for that more than anything.

Gotta give Revis his due. I've never seen anyone do what he does (even Deion).

But Cruz always seems to have a lil' sumptin' sumptin' for the Jets in the past. Hope that continues...

BeatYale
08-18-2012, 12:52 PM
A lot of his yardage came after the catch and after escaping the first tackle. Teams will have 20 games worth of film to study this time around to try to control him. I think he'll surpass his receptions from last year, but he won't beat the yardage.