PDA

View Full Version : OFFENSE or DEFENSE !

BillTheGreek
08-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Our Offense is Triple AAA ..And getting better !....But what are we going to do with our Defense ? Can't let the Offense carry all the weight ! IT HAS TO BE 50/50

jomo
08-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Our Offense is Triple AAA ..And getting better !....But what are we going to do with our Defense ? Can't let the Offense carry all the weight ! IT HAS TO BE 50/50lol, let me direct your attention to our offensive line.

GameTime
08-17-2012, 02:49 PM
the Giants offense is NOT AAA...
the run game is poor, the QB protection is questionable, and no proven TE or #3 WR as of yet.

The D has some holes to fill too but far from the O carrying all the weight.

BTW....no team is 50/50....

Moke
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
I like to look at us as a more balanced team.

BillTheGreek
08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
the Giants offense is NOT AAA...
the run game is poor, the QB protection is questionable, and no proven TE or #3 WR as of yet.

The D has some holes to fill too but far from the O carrying all the weight.

BTW....no team is 50/50....

OK 40/ 47........... BTW ...I down graded the O to AA

Captain Chaos
08-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Not sure I can get on board with what you are selling...Think the O-line needs some shoring up and that will be a big deal.

Joe Morrison
08-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Listening to Sirius today on the way home, talking about Eli and they went back to the D-Line, yes the D-Line was great in the last 6 games last year but there would have been only 16 games instead of 20 if Eli didn't bail them out the rest of the season.

Rat_bastich
08-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Listening to Sirius today on the way home, talking about Eli and they went back to the D-Line, yes the D-Line was great in the last 6 games last year but there would have been only 16 games instead of 20 if Eli didn't bail them out the rest of the season.

Eli definitely put them on his back last year and carried them. When he didn't carry them he kept them close. I still think the turning point was Dallas when JPP single handedly took over the game. The Giants seemed motivated ever since. He is the new Bo Jackson...on defense of course....even though I could've sworn he threw himself a touchdown pass and even blocked for himself as he got a clean throw off.

Toadofsteel
08-18-2012, 03:53 AM
As is known, the O-line is shoddy at best. The only things we got were Locklear in free agency and a couple of projects in the late rounds. It depends on whether or not Locklear can step up and play LT at this point. If he can do that, Beatty's injury problems can at least be managed in the meantime, and we can swing DD over to right tackle. If Locklear can step up AND Beatty gets healthy, there's our tackles right there. But I don't think Beatty will be all that healthy early on.

The skill positions, at least, have been restocked with fresh blood, if not dramatically improved. Bennett will be more than enough to play Ballard's role, and someone will step up to be the #3 WR. With Eli leading it, this offense combines the positive effects of the run-and-shoot offense (option routes, read and react) with the west coast offense (getting the short passes to stretch the field, also helps mask o-line problems in pass protection if Eli can get the ball out before a pass rusher can get to him). Granted, we got that way because our running game failed to develop in 2011, but at least we know that Eli will do whatever is required to support the team.

As for defense, I think for the early part of the year it was a bit schizophrenic. We've always loaded our defense up front, and we live and die by the pass rush. PF comes in and manages the defense from the back. It was brutal to watch. But then as players came back online from injury, PF learned what he could do with the personnel we have, and thus our defense found its center again.

miked1958
08-18-2012, 08:42 AM
the Giants offense is NOT AAA...the run game is poor, the QB protection is questionable, and no proven TE or #3 WR as of yet.The D has some holes to fill too but far from the O carrying all the weight. BTW....no team is 50/50....I like how our team seeks to improve in a lot of areas and we are the defending champs. You don't see us sitting back resting on our laurels like past champions have

GameTime
08-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by GameTime http://boards.giants.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?p=450565#post450565) http://boards.giants.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png
the Giants offense is NOT AAA...the run game is poor, the QB protection is questionable, and no proven TE or #3 WR as of yet.The D has some holes to fill too but far from the O carrying all the weight. BTW....no team is 50/50....

I like how our team seeks to improve in a lot of areas and we are the defending champs. You don't see us sitting back resting on our laurels like past champions have

Din't mean to sound pessimistic. I agree with you that they do go after to improve in the areas they are lacking. Just getting back at the OP for making the O sound like world beaters and D seem like a trash. I am fully confident they will get things squared away. The Oline will be the biggets issue due to injury, talent, and chemistry (or lack tthere of).

giantyankee1976
08-18-2012, 09:44 AM
(preparing for a barrage)

Eli carried this team through much of last season.
1) Running game sucked up until the playoffs
2) Defense was soft many games and sometimes on-field fainting occured /sarcasm
3) Niners playoff game? O-Line just about disappeared, Eli had the heart of a lion that game

Defense
1) JPP was a pleseant surprise, banged up 2ndary gave up some head-scratchers
2) Again come playoff time, and the what 3 or 4 games in front of, they stepped up considerably.

I agree no Team is 50/50

BUT all I want is CONSISTENCY throughout the SEASON.

I would prefer Ball-Control, Clock Management on Offense. Failing that, light the scoreboard up and force the opposing team to catch up

I would prefer a decent steady pass rush, to be a top 5 Defensive team in takeaways and QB Pressure and to do whatevers neccesary to minimize the likes of Desean Jackson, Avant, Dez Bryant, and a (healthy) Witten ...

jomo
08-18-2012, 10:08 AM
The only thing I would embellish here is that no Osi and effectively no Tuck was a big part of the Defensive inconsistency earlier on. Once they were both clicking, I don't remember the D laying an egg. Same can kind of be said re" the OL except that the guys we got back there from injury are pretty ordinary when compared to JT and Osi. We have much work to do on the OL in order to have a consistent offensive scheme.

giantyankee1976
08-18-2012, 10:23 AM
yeah, I am really surprised that more wasn't done to improve the O Line. Shuffling guys around does only so much.

BillTheGreek
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM
(preparing for a barrage)

Eli carried this team through much of last season.
1) Running game sucked up until the playoffs
2) Defense was soft many games and sometimes on-field fainting occured /sarcasm
3) Niners playoff game? O-Line just about disappeared, Eli had the heart of a lion that game

Defense
1) JPP was a pleseant surprise, banged up 2ndary gave up some head-scratchers
2) Again come playoff time, and the what 3 or 4 games in front of, they stepped up considerably.

I agree no Team is 50/50

BUT all I want is CONSISTENCY throughout the SEASON.

I would prefer Ball-Control, Clock Management on Offense. Failing that, light the scoreboard up and force the opposing team to catch up

I would prefer a decent steady pass rush, to be a top 5 Defensive team in takeaways and QB Pressure and to do whatevers neccesary to minimize the likes of Desean Jackson, Avant, Dez Bryant, and a (healthy) Witten ...

OK......... Your right ,the Giants seem to play catch up all the time ......look at Eli in the Last quarter,of most of his games, 2 to 3 minutes left in the game, down by one score ,and we all say here goes Eli again ! Sure it's exciting, and thank God he won most of the games...........That's what makes him Great ! But on the other hand , let them do what you said , Ball-Control, Clock Management ,light the scoreboard up and force the opposing team to catch up for a change!

GameTime
08-18-2012, 11:06 AM
OK......... Your right ,the Giants seem to play catch up all the time ......look at Eli in the Last quarter,of most of his games, 2 to 3 minutes left in the game, down by one score ,and we all say here goes Eli again ! Sure it's exciting, and thank God he won most of the games...........That's what makes him Great ! But on the other hand , let them do what you said , Ball-Control, Clock Management ,light the scoreboard up and force the opposing team to catch up for a change!
Ball control, clock management and lighting up the scoreboard dont go hand in hand. They are actually opposing game plans.
Its not very complicated to what the Giants need to do. Its more of a challenge finding the right players to get the job done.
More above average OL and running game consistency and better play from the defensive backfield and defensive run support.

BillTheGreek
08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Ball control, clock management and lighting up the scoreboard dont go hand in hand. They are actually opposing game plans.
Its not very complicated to what the Giants need to do. Its more of a challenge finding the right players to get the job done.
More above average OL and running game consistency and better play from the defensive backfield and defensive run support.

I know what your saying............ Regarding clock management, does not go hand and hand with lighting up the scoreboard ! But on the other hand do you remember how Eli for a long time was taking to much time to run a play off and being penalized for delay of game , he seemed to over come that ,or I would say his "clock management" was getting better.
OK ,
Now lets talk about Ball Control , It is impossible to play football if you can’t control the ball. Getting and keeping the ball under control is the single most important skill a footballer has to learn and master. Without ball control, they are just a person running around after a bag of air!
ENJOY THE GAME TONIGHT............. i KNOW i WILL

giantyankee1976
08-18-2012, 12:52 PM

exactly. I was saying either/ or. Ball-control/ Clock-Mgmt or Light the Scoreboard up

Truthfully I'm more a Defense kind of guy so a good Offense (40%+/-) to Dominating Defense (60%+/-) would make me happy, happy, happy

ShakeandBake
08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Our defense was looking a lot better than our offense was until all of our DTs went down