PDA

View Full Version : Why ELi Manning's 2011 season may have beena fluke

RoanokeFan
08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
LINK (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/why_eli_mannings_2011_season_may_have_been_a_fluke/11487790)

Excerpt: "Few could top the season New York Giants (http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants) quarterback Eli Manning had in 2011 with stellar performance after stellar performance chocked full of late-game heroics ultimately culminating in the grand prize—a Super Bowl
victory (http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/2012/08/18/why-eli-mannings-2011-season-may-have-been-a-fluke/#).
To be able to duplicate such a season would be outstanding—Manning led seven fourth-quarter comebacks and finished the season with nearly 5,000 yards passing and 29 touchdowns. However, the spectacle that was the younger Manning’s 2011 season may be tough to repeat for more than the difficulty in accomplishing such a season.
Manning’s breakout campaign could very well have been nothing more than, well, a fluke. Giants fans just screamed blasphemy reading that. Some are already scrolling to the bottom of this page to tear me a new one, but please hear me out." Read more...

fansince69
08-18-2012, 12:33 PM
WE just got finished with an Eli/Simms debate....I smell more.....I hope not...this has been beat to death

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
i stopped reading as soon as he said that we didnt go against top defenses so the mistakes he made went unpunished...this was a horrible piece of writing. not bc of a difference of opinion, but bc of the faulty logic he used in making some of his points.

gumby74
08-18-2012, 01:09 PM
i stopped reading as soon as he said that we didnt go against top defenses so the mistakes he made went unpunished...this was a horrible piece of writing. not bc of a difference of opinion, but bc of the faulty logic he used in making some of his points.

What was the faulty logic there?

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 01:10 PM
the author is write tho, eli's 15 td passes in the 4th qrt was actually a fluke. each and every one. the 7 gw comeback drives, they were a fluke. each and every single one.

week in week out, it was a fluke...lmfao. the author is trying to say last season is a fluke, so apparently he feels that something that happens repeatedly, in the same fashion, as sure as the sun is gonna rise and fall...

something happens once, its luck
something happens twice, its a coincedence
something happens repeatedly, its consistent...

horrible article...whats a fluke is using the first 3 yrs including his rookie season passer completion % and try to say it reflects eli since 2007. he's been over 60% like 7 yrs straight now, 4000 3 yrs straight with one season of 5 thousand yards. been at around 30 tds for like 6 yrs straight.

hell, i use this a lot but one of only 5 qbs all time to throw 3k and 20 td or more for 6 straight seasons...thats not a fluke, thats consistency

gumby74
08-18-2012, 01:11 PM
the author is write tho, eli's 15 td passes in the 4th qrt was actually a fluke. each and every one. the 7 gw comeback drives, they were a fluke. each and every single one.

week in week out, it was a fluke...lmfao. the author is trying to say last season is a fluke, so apparently he feels that something that happens repeatedly, in the same fashion, as sure as the sun is gonna rise and fall...

something happens once, its luck
something happens twice, its a coincedence
something happens repeatedly, its consistent...

horrible article...whats a fluke is using the first 3 yrs including his rookie season passer completion % and try to say it reflects eli since 2007. he's been over 60% like 7 yrs straight now, 4000 3 yrs straight with one season of 5 thousand yards. been at around 30 tds for like 6 yrs straight.

hell, i use this a lot but one of only 5 qbs all time to throw 3k and 20 td or more for 6 straight seasons...thats not a fluke, thats consistency

Did you even read the article?

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Anti-Eli article on GMB....... Gumby is like a shark that smells blood in the water :)

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
its also faulty logic bc the author is stating if eli doesnt repeat last seasons performance, than his talent and skill as a qb is overrated, when last season was one of the best seasons a qb can have...

if the author wants to question whether alex smith had a fluke season, itd be more apt. i highly doubt this author is actually informed on giants football and watches the games...nothing "flukey" about a qb whose been doing the same things for years now. his characterization is also downright comical, he may be .001% who literally believes eli is just avg lmfao

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Anti-Eli article on GMB....... Gumby is like a shark that smells blood in the water :)

lol
i figured a while ago itd just be better to ignore him. im positive he's questioning my intelligence somehow. he can like the article and agree, i disagree with it and dont feel like getting egged on bc that just got old...

gumby74
08-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Anti-Eli article on GMB....... Gumby is like a shark that smells blood in the water :) C'mon now. It's just fun. Haha

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:29 PM
C'mon now. It's just fun. Haha

Just messin' with ya lol ;)

BlueReign
08-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Does Eli still need to be questioned? We know he's prone to bone-headed mistakes sometimes, but to understand the full story of Eli you have to look beyond the stats. It's not his physical attributes that make him the ELITE QB he is; it's his intangibles. He is excellent presnap, a solid leader and handles young receivers extremely well. Did I mention he is the most cold blooded Quarterback in the NFL? Eli won't throw 40+ TDs, but he will always have the Giants in a position to win and I can deal with that.

gumby74
08-18-2012, 01:37 PM
its also faulty logic bc the author is stating if eli doesnt repeat last seasons performance, than his talent and skill as a qb is overrated, when last season was one of the best seasons a qb can have...

if the author wants to question whether alex smith had a fluke season, itd be more apt. i highly doubt this author is actually informed on giants football and watches the games...nothing "flukey" about a qb whose been doing the same things for years now. his characterization is also downright comical, he may be .001% who literally believes eli is just avg lmfao

I wouldn't call it faulty logic, but a matter of opinion. You think he had previous "great" seasons, he didn't. It's all good. Honestly, I was just curious.

Btw, He never called Eli avg. In fact, he spent most of the article giving Eli props. He's just saying that if Eli doesn't duplicate what he did last season, then he may not be all that's he's cracked up to be - as people perceive him now. I didn't agree with all of it, but that article wasn't a "poor" article by any means.

gmen46
08-18-2012, 02:00 PM

http://youtu.be/wCfWHqrYUqo

RoanokeFan
08-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Does Eli still need to be questioned? We know he's prone to bone-headed mistakes sometimes, but to understand the full story of Eli you have to look beyond the stats. It's not his physical attributes that make him the ELITE QB he is; it's his intangibles. He is excellent presnap, a solid leader and handles young receivers extremely well. Did I mention he is the most cold blooded Quarterback in the NFL? Eli won't throw 40+ TDs, but he will always have the Giants in a position to win and I can deal with that.

As long as Eli doesn't bother to take this **** seriously, neither should we.

jomo
08-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I expect about the same from Eli this year in terms of yards and TDs, low interceptions etc. 4th Q comebacks are a matter of circumstances so I hope we don't need all that drama. lol

That said, if I had to choose better or worse than last year as the only option, I would say better.
Eli is a year older, wiser and more confident/seasoned. Cruz is a second year pro not third year pro. Nicks will be Nicks. Whoever is #3 won't be hurt as much as MM was last year and they will surely run better routes. Hixon or Randle will be better than MM. Martellis Bennett is more of a legitimate threat at TE than we've had in a while. The addition of Wilson gives us a real threat receiving out of the backfield. That's my take on it.
More likely it will be about the same.

Syverce
08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
The article read like the guy was just trying to whip up another argument. He had some valid observations, but he failed to point out a lot of the things that made Eli's performance last year so impressive. A struggling O-line that forced Eli to constantly shift around in the pocket and get rid of the ball early. A running game that was last in the NFL and left our offense little choice but to rely on the passing game. A defense that struggled until late in the season with injuries. And one thing the media never takes in to consideration, the conservative nature of our team. When the Giants get a sizable lead, they run out the clock. Almost every other high flying offense keeps there foot on the gas until they cross the finish line.

So will Eli's numbers be as good as they were last year? No, they most likely will not. But that in no way means Eli is overrated and that all he accomplished last year was a fluke. Eli's true strengths lay in his intangibles, and what we saw last year was the true measure of those strengths coming to light. Eli had the best year of his career when his team needed it the most. If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what will.

ponch inda face
08-18-2012, 07:18 PM

This x 2

Eli no longer surprises me. He is going to make bad throws; maybe some throws into coverage that should not be thrown. He is also going to be the guy I want at QB when the game is on the line. He has that lethal mindset where he is able to maintain his composure under pressure. At the end of the season, unless he completely regresses, his stats will be good and at the end of his career, he will be one of, if not THE, greatest QBs in Giants history. He already has two rings with an opportunity for more.

As fans, we have to read columns like this objectively and understand that today's sports are driven purely by stats. Will he throw for another 5k yrds? Maybe, but maybe he won't. Will he take care of the ball as well as he did last year? He may, but if he doesn't what does that mean if the team is still finding a way to win? Eli, for the most part, will never be that guy that leads the league in the glamour QB stats, but I don't care. Just keep collecting rings. I mean at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about?

EliDaMANning
08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Eli had a top 3 QB season ever. Of course he probably won't duplicate it.

CDN_G-FAN
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
To sum up, last season might have been a fluke because Eli hasn't had that kinda season for most of his career.

Hope he wrote that article for free. Cuz if someone paid him for that kinda thoughtful analysis, they got ripped off.

No mention that he played fantastic last season with the worst running game in the NFL, and one of the worst defenses for most of the season.

of course, he ignores the fact that since Shockey, Tiki, and Plax have left town, Eli (with one exception) has been FAR FAR better than he was with those knobs on the roster. Maybe playing in the largest media market in the world with huge personalities and veterans was a little more intimidating than playing in Pittsburg or San Diego. Ben can't walk a straight line at a frat party in little town USA, maybe dealing with Tiki, Strahan, Shockey, and weirdo Plax with a 24 7 news feed took a little getting used to.

that took me less than 3 minutes. and it's as in depth and introspective as that space filler the author calls analysis.

If you're going to make a controversial point, jesus, make a real go of it.

that was nothing more than a headline and i feel violated for giving that website a hit to read it.

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 11:22 PM
yeah it was a terrible article

nygfanmaybe
08-19-2012, 08:40 AM
It is vogue to write or speak about Eli in a negative way. I can just see this scenario...

Amani Toomer: "I need to do something to get my name out there!"

Agent: "Write something controversial about Eli...like...Romo's a better QB...that should get people stirred-up."

Toomer: "Yeah...yeah...YEAH!!!"

GreenZone
08-19-2012, 09:52 AM
It is vogue to write or speak about Eli in a negative way. I can just see this scenario...

Amani Toomer: "I need to do something to get my name out there!"

Agent: "Write something controversial about Eli...like...Romo's is a better QB...that should get people stirred-up."

Toomer: "Yeah...yeah...YEAH!!!"

Well stated. In addition though, Amani could also be using a little psychology to help keep Eli in the underdog role so he won't lose that edge that has got him this far.

We don't know how much Tiki actually helped motivate Eli a few years earlier in his critique, with Eli ultimately proving Tiki wrong. At that, the point is that Eli perhaps needed the motivation of something to prove. Perhaps he did last year too when he was called out as not being an elite quarterback.

As to the author of the piece in question, he lost me when he started talking about how people are supposed to react/not react to his writing. The way this season should go should be like the Jets game last night where an overall team performance and better defense means the Giants don't give up leads and don't need 4th quarter heroics.

Last year was fraught with lack of fundamentals, but Eli has been consistent since his rookie year in enjoying and thriving in comeback scenarios.