PDA

View Full Version : Rowdy fans take note: New fan policy for game ejections

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8278886/nfl-require-ejected-fans-take-online-fan-conduct-course

So basically now if you are ejected from the stadium, you will be subject to taking a four hour online course that can cost up to $100. If you do not take the test and are found back at the stadium you can be arrested for trespassing apparently.

What are your thoughts on this guys? Is the NFL going too far?

fizzlesticks
08-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Love it. If you're doing something worthy of getting kicked out and ruining other peoples good time, you deserve some kind of punishment if you want to go back.

BlueSanta
08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
There were a couple bad incedents in the NFL last year in NFL stands(49er fans, im looking at you.) The NFL needs to do all it can to improve fan civility.

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
While I agree with you about trying to maintain the peace, I really do not see this as a deterrent. People will still drink a liter of booze and act rowdy, curse, etc. Moreover, the fact that they are making the persons pay themselves for the test increases the likelihood that this will not be effective "rehabilitation".

Unless the perpetrator is a season-ticket holder I really do not see this working.

However, I do agree that security efforts need to be installed to protect fans.

Jet-Blue
08-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Love it. If you're doing something worthy of getting kicked out and ruining other peoples good time, you deserve some kind of punishment if you want to go back.

I agree also. I go to both Jet and Giant games and some fans from both side need to take notice. Good rule!

Toadofsteel
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Is it just automatic upon ejection or only for flagrant/violent ejections? Taking a $100 4-hour course because you snuck a beer in seems a little excessive...

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Is it just automatic upon ejection or only for flagrant/violent ejections? Taking a $100 4-hour course because you snuck a beer in seems a little excessive...

Good question, as I was wondering the same myself.

It really should be for flagrant/violent violations like you mentioned.

Roosevelt
08-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Good move by the NFL.

ashleymarie
08-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Don't know if this is the answer but it is a start.

BlueReign
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
It's a good idea, but I don't think the class will do anything to be honest. I think people will pay the fine, load up the class online and do something else for 4 hours while the lecture just plays. It's a step, but there's really nothing you can do about rowdy fans but fine them. Maybe bring a strike system into account i.e) 3 ejections and you're banned from the stadium and each increasing ejection up to three raises the fine.

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Don't know if this is the answer but it is a start.

Agreed. It is definitely an issue that requires some type of action.

nhpgiantsfan
08-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Love it. I had the opportunity to take my son to the game tonight. (free tix from a jet fan, no less). But I decided that I can't trust the environment that I would be putting him in, especially if we wore Giants jerseys. So unfortunately after thinking it through I turned them down. It sucks. It shouldn't be this way. People pay a ton of money to go to these games and they shouldn't have to deal with abusive fans.

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:41 PM
It's a good idea, but I don't think the class will do anything to be honest. I think people will pay the fine, load up the class online and do something else for 4 hours while the lecture just plays. It's a step, but there's really nothing you can do about rowdy fans but fine them. Maybe bring a strike system into account i.e) 3 ejections and you're banned from the stadium and each increasing ejection up to three raises the fine.

I think the three strike rule is a good idea. Like you and I both said, the excessively rowdy fans will still continue, but maybe some will think twice with this new rule.

BlueReign
08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
I think the three strike rule is a good idea. Like you and I both said, the excessively rowdy fans will still continue, but maybe some will think twice with this new rule.
It definitely can't hurt.

derekunion28
08-18-2012, 01:46 PM
you guys gota admit things do get outa hand in alot of peoples stadiums

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 01:51 PM
you guys gota admit things do get outa hand in alot of peoples stadiums

No question about that. I find it is mostly guys in my demographic that are the majority guilty parties. I am 25, but I handle my alcohol pretty responsibly. I know when to stop drinking. Not trying to stereotype all of us, but it's mainly the 21-29 year old guys that are in big groups that cause the most issues (looking for fights, excessive heckling, threats, wayyy too much alcohol).

BillTheGreek
08-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Good Rule...........Let's face it, what if you are taking kids to the game ,or your Mother or lady friend.........You get a bunch of Guys cursing, being Rowdy etc. It's uncalled for. People are there to enjoy the game and have fun. It's not a BAR!

GameTime
08-18-2012, 03:39 PM
if keeps the *******s down to a minimum then I am all for it.
BTW....I am a seasoned tailgater, love to drink and get rowdy. But at the same time I am a true fan and respectfull of the people around me.
If you cant be mature enough to control yourself then get the **** out......

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I do not mind having rowdy fans having to be ejected and pay a fine for a course, however I am not a fan of this......"Skeptics might wonder how teams are going to keep track of ejected fans from week to week. Ray DiNunzio, the NFL's director of strategic security, told ESPN the monitoring will vary by team but could at some point involve facial recognition technology." Big Brother can do a lot of damage with this stuff, and I for one do not like being tracked everywhere I go!!!!

gmen46
08-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I do not mind having rowdy fans having to be ejected and pay a fine for a course, however I am not a fan of this......"Skeptics might wonder how teams are going to keep track of ejected fans from week to week. Ray DiNunzio, the NFL's director of strategic security, told ESPN the monitoring will vary by team but could at some point involve facial recognition technology." Big Brother can do a lot of damage with this stuff, and I for one do not like being tracked everywhere I go!!!!

If you have any type of "smart phone", as well as some other cell phone types, you already are being tracked. Get used to it and act accordingly. The Future is Now, friend. (I'm sure George Allen did not have this in mind when he said that, bit......)

ashleymarie
08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
if keeps the *******s down to a minimum then I am all for it.
BTW....I am a seasoned tailgater, love to drink and get rowdy. But at the same time I am a true fan and respectfull of the people around me.
If you cant be mature enough to control yourself then get the **** out......

Good comment. I can take the language, the drinking, the whooping and hollaring, the taunting. What I fear most is being knocked down accidently and a broken bone is the result. Many senior citizens, like myself, have bones that do not heal easily. I would like to go to a game and know I am going to be reasonably safe from fans who have had too much to drink and having too much fun without paying attention to others.

I realize this is never going to happen but I can hope. And I keep attending games. :D

NYGFaninILL
08-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Just Ban Alcohol. Then you wont have any problems

GameTime
08-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Just Ban Alcohol. Then you wont have any problems

actually as a tailgater I usually dont even buy beers inside. Too much $$ and I use that time to sober up for the ride home.
They make WAY TOO much money on beer though. Both sponsership wise and retail. Do you realize they prob pay about .80 cents a beer whole sale and sell them for 8 or 9 bucks!!!!

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-18-2012, 04:25 PM
If you have any type of "smart phone", as well as some other cell phone types, you already are being tracked. Get used to it and act accordingly. The Future is Now, friend. (I'm sure George Allen did not have this in mind when he said that, bit......) I have turned the GPS function off on my phone, I do not use social media, and I DO act accordingly thank you very much. Facial Recognition is not for sporting events. Might as well start the drones flying over stadiums while we are at it!

JesseJames
08-18-2012, 05:06 PM
whether somebody has had too much to drink or is simply a loud mouthed idiot makes no difference to me, no one has the right to ruin anybody's good time just because they feel like being a fool, and for that reason they need to be removed and made to undergo some kind of punishment before they are allowed back in to any games....

rainierjef
08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
looks like every fan ins eagles nation won't be attending their games anymore

davepc
08-18-2012, 05:25 PM
The PSL's really cut down on the amount of man children and alcoholics at games. Thank god.

VegasGmen
08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I guess the Philly home games will be only half full and will probably stay that way most of the year since most of them dont have a job to fork up the $100. Even if they did have the $100 how are they supposed to take a course that requires reading?

RichGiants81
08-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Just another way to extort money, the course should be free. Four hours is longer than a whole game, that's punishment enough. You don't have to hit up a dudes pocket after he already got the boot and had to miss the game