PDA

View Full Version : Wilson the RB on 1rst/2nd down, Bradshaw 3rd down back?

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
here me out. Bradshaw is the best blocking rb in the league imo. he is also a very powerful, quick, shifty runner who can assist in the pass game as a receiver as well. He has all the qualities of an everydown back, except he battles injuries every season bc of nagging feet injuries that aren't going away. So would it make more sense to prolong Bradshaws career by limiting him to a 3rd down role, in which he can be extremely effective? You could still use him on early downs, but sparingly.

We have Wilson, who on the other hand is an amazing runner. he honestly reminds me of gayle sayers with the style he runs with. except he's not the great on picking up nfl level blitzes yet. so would it help to use him on primarily running downs so that when we do pass out of it, it takes the defense by more of a surprise and allows wilson to be in better position to identify and block a defender when need be. wilson is also young so he has the youth element, and he offers as dynamic a running threat as bradshaw imo...

so you think this could be the plan/goal eventually?

GameTime
08-18-2012, 04:46 PM
so a player who has played in 1 preseason game reminds yuo of Gayle Sayers?? Come on Bro...
AB will be the main guy until he either gets hurt or the coaches feel that DW can get his protections in order. Thats why Ware will be #2. He knows the protections and that is more important than running game overall.

keyofgmen
08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Did you just compare Wilson to Gayle Sayers?

jomo
08-18-2012, 04:49 PM
here me out. Bradshaw is the best blocking rb in the league imo. he is also a very powerful, quick, shifty runner who can assist in the pass game as a receiver as well. He has all the qualities of an everydown back, except he battles injuries every season bc of nagging feet injuries that aren't going away. So would it make more sense to prolong Bradshaws career by limiting him to a 3rd down role, in which he can be extremely effective? You could still use him on early downs, but sparingly.

We have Wilson, who on the other hand is an amazing runner. he honestly reminds me of gayle sayers with the style he runs with. except he's not the great on picking up nfl level blitzes yet. so would it help to use him on primarily running downs so that when we do pass out of it, it takes the defense by more of a surprise and allows wilson to be in better position to identify and block a defender when need be. wilson is also young so he has the youth element, and he offers as dynamic a running threat as bradshaw imo...

so you think this could be the plan/goal eventually?It's a decent point of discussion but he's not that good in the passing game. Wilson will be much more dangerous once he settles into his game. If using AB less to get a full strong season out of him is your main point, I am right there with you. Go Blue!

PS I am not sure how anyone can judge "best blocking RB in the league" unless they watch a couple hundred hours of film on all running backs. I think AB is good at blocking but the best in the league is too strong for me.

TheEnigma
08-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Maybe next year. Too early so far.

TheEnigma
08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
PS I am not sure how anyone can judge "best blocking RB in the league" unless they watch a couple hundred hours of film on all running backs. I think AB is good at blocking but the best in the league is too strong for me.

Read this - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/15/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

miked1958
08-18-2012, 04:54 PM
here me out. Bradshaw is the best blocking rb in the league imo. he is also a very powerful, quick, shifty runner who can assist in the pass game as a receiver as well. He has all the qualities of an everydown back, except he battles injuries every season bc of nagging feet injuries that aren't going away. So would it make more sense to prolong Bradshaws career by limiting him to a 3rd down role, in which he can be extremely effective? You could still use him on early downs, but sparingly.We have Wilson, who on the other hand is an amazing runner. he honestly reminds me of gayle sayers with the style he runs with. except he's not the great on picking up nfl level blitzes yet. so would it help to use him on primarily running downs so that when we do pass out of it, it takes the defense by more of a surprise and allows wilson to be in better position to identify and block a defender when need be. wilson is also young so he has the youth element, and he offers as dynamic a running threat as bradshaw imo...so you think this could be the plan/goal eventually?Not going to happen right away for sure. He will be behind AB for a long time and more then likely behind DJ Ware as well

Giantz4Life
08-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Read this - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/15/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

I remember reading about Bradshaw being one of the best RBs in pass protection, but wow, that article really paints the picture.

stormblue
08-18-2012, 05:05 PM
i doubt the gayle sayers part.........but the rest is true....you don't draft a running back in the1st round and sit him.
he will be the starter by week 6.
AB was one half of the worst rushing attack in the league last year. he sucked just as much as BJ did.
hopefully Wilson brings back to the table that scat back type with vision and anticipation that we lost when Tiki left.
a running back that could read his blocks instead of running into or tripping over them ?
can you remember what it was like to get 15 to 25 yard screen passes and 30 and 40 yard gallops.
i miss that stuff.

titwio
08-18-2012, 05:11 PM
The most trusted back in that regard is Ahmad Bradshaw who has been left into pass block on 347 occasions over the past three years.http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...running-backs/ (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/15/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/)

It seems like I point this out every year about Bradshaw. People always seem to overlook his value in pass protection.

nygmen90
08-18-2012, 05:12 PM
I really like Wilson's big play ability if linebackers blink they will miss him

TheEnigma
08-18-2012, 05:17 PM
It seems like I point this out every year about Bradshaw. People always seem to overlook his value in pass protection.

Imagine how good he would of looked behind the Texans O-line last year. Probably would of been a Pro Bowl selection imo.

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 05:20 PM
no im not saying wilson is gayle sayers. dunno how this is confusing, i said the style in which wilson runs reminds me of sayers. they both kinda run with their arms uptight and even run upright but still stay low to the ground. both bounce of tacklers...no way is wilson close to the rb sayers is, i just think that wilson runs similarly to sayers in the open field...wasnt sayers a track sprinter himself too??

giantsfan420
08-18-2012, 05:22 PM
and yeah i dont know if this idea is for week 1...i think its father down the road but it could happen early in the season if bradshaws feet act up...

and i agree ware would be ahead of wilson on the depth chart as a 3rd down back bc of the pass protection keys. but i dunno if wares ahead of wilson when being used as an early down runner...

RoanokeFan
08-18-2012, 05:23 PM

so you think this could be the plan/goal eventually?

Sure, EVENTUALLY.

GameTime
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
and yeah i dont know if this idea is for week 1...i think its father down the road but it could happen early in the season if bradshaws feet act up...

and i agree ware would be ahead of wilson on the depth chart as a 3rd down back bc of the pass protection keys. but i dunno if wares ahead of wilson when being used as an early down runner...
the goo dthing is that Wilson, Brown, and Scott will get their chances in preseason to show what they've have or dont have. Whomever is left standing will be the 3rd back waiting in the wings with a quick ascension to #2 if they get their whole game together.