PDA

View Full Version : Best CB for GMEN?

nygmen90
08-19-2012, 03:22 AM
well im a little younger, so I was wondering, have we had top corner's in the past? Who?

titwio
08-19-2012, 03:25 AM
The Giants had a good duo with Will Allen and Will Peterson. Also Jason Sehorn and Phillip Sparks in their primes.

There's more but I'm tired...

nygmen90
08-19-2012, 03:26 AM
The Giants had a good duo with Will Allen and Will Peterson. Also Jason Sehorn.... Phillip Sparks in their primes.

There's more but I'm tired...
thanks man

MattyD21
08-19-2012, 03:50 AM
Corey Webster is a star, terrel thomas before injury , Jayron Hosley (R)

nygmen90
08-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Corey Webster is a star, terrel thomas before injury , Jayron Hosley (R)

I know they are good Im talking earlier i'm not that young

juice33s
08-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Emlen Tunnel is a hall of famer and is second in NFL history with 79 career interceptions, although he played predominantly safety I believe. He's still considered the best DB in Giants history.

A little more recently, Mark Collins was the top cover man on the Giants 86 and 90 Superbowl teams

BlueSanta
08-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Emlen Tunnel is a hall of famer and is second in NFL history with 79 career interceptions, although he played predominantly safety I believe. He's still considered the best DB in Giants history.

A little more recently, Mark Collins was the top cover man on the Giants 86 and 90 Superbowl teams

Collins never got his due. The man was a superb man cover corner. I remember Jerry Rice saying that Collins was the most physical corner he played against and prior to Deon coming into his own Collins was the best he faced. Unfortunately, with the rule changes of today, his style of play would not work.

dave56dj
08-19-2012, 06:57 AM
The wills were actually considered underachievers. Allen produced but not up to his first round status and Peterson was oft injured.

Collins was a nasty cover guy - Sparks was very good as well. Sehorn had amazing talent but really only put up a good couple years.

RichGiants81
08-19-2012, 07:26 AM
No offense bro but will Allen kinda sucked, he was a major disappointment

fansince69
08-19-2012, 07:45 AM
No offense bro but will Allen kinda sucked, he was a major disappointment

That is not quite accurate,,,,He had good cover skills....just really bad ball skills.....couldn't catch the ball if you handed it to him......Collins was best I ever saw on the giants.....even i am too young to remember Tunnel.....Petersen was good but never saw thew field.......Sparks had his moments........Sehorn was very good for 2 years and just was never the same after the injury

RichGiants81
08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
That is not quite accurate,,,,He had good cover skills....just really bad ball skills.....couldn't catch the ball if you handed it to him......Collins was best I ever saw on the giants.....even i am too young to remember Tunnel.....Petersen was good but never saw thew field.......Sparks had his moments........Sehorn was very good for 2 years and just was never the same after the injury

That is true, Allen dropped a lot of picks but isn't that a huge part of playing the position? He also got burnt a lot on deep balls. Def does not deserve to be mentioned as one of the better giants DBeees in history

nhpgiantsfan
08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I actually thin Peterson was the better of the Wills.

08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
spider lockhart and **** lynch

primetime
08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Emlen Tunnell is the best safety/corner the Giants have ever had. But he was more of a safety during his playing days. I see many people brought up Mark Collins. Ask Jerry Rice how good Mark Collins was...
If I had to choose the best corner who played for the Giants, it would have to be D. Lynch.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ik3z3t.jpg

Daytona Giant
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
**** Lynch+1 but Lockharts nickname was "toast"

primetime
08-19-2012, 04:40 PM

You're thinking of Elvis Patterson.

stormblue
08-19-2012, 05:03 PM
spider lockhart
mark haynes

juice33s
08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Collins never got his due. The man was a superb man cover corner. I remember Jerry Rice saying that Collins was the most physical corner he played against and prior to Deon coming into his own Collins was the best he faced. Unfortunately, with the rule changes of today, his style of play would not work.
Here's an exert from a NY Times article after the 1991 NFC championship game:

As the afternoon edged forward, Mark Collins never changed his psychological game plan. He kept staring coldly into Jerry Rice's eyes, kept hoping it would act as a edge, kept believing it would finally unnerve the 49ers' receiver.
Perhaps it worked.
"I don't know," Collins said after the Giants' 15-13 victory over the 49ers today in the National Football Conference title game. "Maybe it was just me. Maybe I'm just a pretty good player."
Collins, the Giants' left cornerback, held Rice to what was clearly a mediocre day: 5 catches for 54 yards and no touchdowns.
And Collins did it mostly on his own.
"If they ran 54 plays, I probably had him man-to-man on 45," Collins said. "That's scary. That guy is great." 'Rice Came to Play'
Collins, who had held Rice to only a single catch in the teams' first meeting in December, said he had wanted to come at the 49ers' perennial Pro Bowl wide receiver with both a physical and mental game plan.

fansince69
08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
spider lockhart
mark haynes

Problem is Lockhart was a safety and haynes best years were after he left here

juice33s
08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Also Bill Parcells said Collins is the only cornerback who could cover Jerry Rice

stormblue
08-19-2012, 05:15 PM

"toast" of the town.
he had 41 int's.....6 more than lynch
he was a bright spot on the worst generation of giant teams in history.

stormblue
08-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Problem is Lockhart was a safety and haynes best years were after he left here

stop clouding the issue with facts......LOL

yeah, but his 1st 2 years @ left corner he had 10 picks.....guess i'm gettin' altzheimers... forgot about him switching to kick returns and safety....so long ago.

fansince69
08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
stop clouding the issue with facts......LOL

yeah, but his 1st 2 years @ left corner he had 10 picks.....guess i'm gettin' altzheimers... forgot about him switching to kick returns and safety....so long ago.

Made all pro 2 years as free saftey

RichGiants81
08-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Emlen Tunnell is the best safety/corner the Giants have ever had. But he was more of a safety during his playing days. I see many people brought up Mark Collins. Ask Jerry Rice how good Mark Collins was...
If I had to choose the best corner who played for the Giants, it would have to be D. Lynch.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ik3z3t.jpg

No disrespect but I think if that guy had to cover the receivers of today's nfl. Nicks, fitz, megatron.... Dude would get smoked... Athletes back then don't compare to the modern era. He would poop his knickers if he had to cover one of today's elite receivers

fansince69
08-20-2012, 09:35 AM
No disrespect but I think if that guy had to cover the receivers of today's nfl. Nicks, fitz, megatron.... Dude would get smoked... Athletes back then don't compare to the modern era. He would poop his knickers if he had to cover one of today's elite receivers

I love when people say that.......you can not compare athletes of different eras....It can't be done....too many variables....you compare each player to the other players of his own era and make the comparison of who was better in their own time...........if you can't understand that reasoning...im sorry