PDA

View Full Version : Jake Muasau

slipknottin
08-19-2012, 07:55 AM
While only officially credited with one tackle, I was very impressed with his play. He runs extremely well, easily the most athletic MLB on the roster. He got deep quite a few times with TEs/WRs and had no problem at all down field. Blew up McKnight over the middle and forced the fumble (which got changed to an incomplete pass) He looks perfect for a tampa 2 Mike. Made a couple plays in the backfield (didnt get the tackle, but still blew up the play). Seems to have good awareness. Not sure if he got a pass deflection on a tebow roll out either. But tebow, for being a guy who is supposed to not fear contact, but he saw Muasau coming and just threw the ball away quickly.

GMENAGAIN
08-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Is there room for him on the 53? If we try to slip him onto the PS, will he get wiped by another team?

Shockeystays08
08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
He needs to make the 53. Fast, can cover, great to the ball and lays a lick. he was the best MLB on the field for us last night.

penguinfarmer
08-19-2012, 08:33 AM
He played WLB in college correct? I know he played DB in HS so you can picture that transition to tampa2MLBer.

RichGiants81
08-19-2012, 03:29 PM
While only officially credited with one tackle, I was very impressed with his play. He runs extremely well, easily the most athletic MLB on the roster. He got deep quite a few times with TEs/WRs and had no problem at all down field. Blew up McKnight over the middle and forced the fumble (which got changed to an incomplete pass) He looks perfect for a tampa 2 Mike. Made a couple plays in the backfield (didnt get the tackle, but still blew up the play). Seems to have good awareness. Not sure if he got a pass deflection on a tebow roll out either. But tebow, for being a guy who is supposed to not fear contact, but he saw Muasau coming and just threw the ball away quickly.
More athletic than boley and Jaquan? Hmmm

tuck&rolle
08-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about him. I noticed him a few times I think (long hair?). Seems like he's a player, but we're carrying so many linebackers already. It might be difficult for him to get a spot

slipknottin
08-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Probably pretty similar to them and Rivers. But none of those guys are MLBs, either.

rainierjef
08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
i like him kuhn and marshall to make the team, he might push out jones.

RichGiants81
08-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Probably pretty similar to them and Rivers. But none of those guys are MLBs, either.

Got you but there has been consideration on trying boley and Jaquan in the middle

Rat_bastich
08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
He played WLB in college correct? I know he played DB in HS so you can picture that transition to tampa2MLBer.

He played the Bandit which is where they move him all over the field. Kind of a linebacker/safety hybrid.

blu_buddha
08-20-2012, 07:53 AM
I was in and out of the game but the one thing that did stick out in the 4th quarter was the long haired LB who turned and covered TEs running down the seam. If this Muasau , I hope he makes it.

TheAnalyst
08-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about him. I noticed him a few times I think (long hair?). Seems like he's a player, but we're carrying so many linebackers already. It might be difficult for him to get a spot

Exactly. As is the case every year, we are going to cut some quality players. With Boley, Kiwi, Williams, Rivers, Blackburn, Herzlich, Paysinger, Jones all probably ahead of Muasau, unless he has a huge 2 more games in the preseason, he is going to the PS.

Dline83
08-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Exactly. As is the case every year, we are going to cut some quality players. With Boley, Kiwi, Williams, Rivers, Blackburn, Herzlich, Paysinger, Jones all probably ahead of Muasau, unless he has a huge 2 more games in the preseason, he is going to the PS.

Have to agree, all the guys that you listed above ahead of Muasau also have already played active snaps in the nfl and are somewhat proven commodities. If Boley starts the year on the PUP it could be possible to see Muasau on the 53, but I would have to say one thing hurting him is that I haven't really seen him make an impact on special teams, unlike guys like Stanback who did stand out on special teams and have also been playing well when given a shot...

JJC7301
08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Have to agree, all the guys that you listed above ahead of Muasau also have already played active snaps in the nfl and are somewhat proven commodities. If Boley starts the year on the PUP it could be possible to see Muasau on the 53, but I would have to say one thing hurting him is that I haven't really seen him make an impact on special teams, unlike guys like Stanback who did stand out on special teams and have also been playing well when given a shot...
I didn't see the game, but if the guy us turning heads like that, then he should make the team over Herz, Peysinger, or Jones because they may have potential and SOME experience, I'll take the game proven talent any day.

TheAnalyst
08-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I didn't see the game, but if the guy us turning heads like that, then he should make the team over Herz, Peysinger, or Jones because they may have potential and SOME experience, I'll take the game proven talent any day. Maybe, but he hasnt shown anything on STs like Herz, Paysinger or Jones all have. To be a depth LB, you need to play STs and play it well.

slipknottin
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Jones is not a lock to make the team, he was average as a ST player, and he has not played well in preseason.

Boley and J Will have been out for over a month now, and neither seem any closer to being healthy.

They take usually 7-8 LBs into the regular season.

Kiwi, Boley, Rivers, Herzlich, Blackburn, Paysinger, JWill, and then a spot for either Jones or Muasau, or perhaps neither.

Theres always the possibility that Boley or JWill get put on IR too, if their injuries do not improve.

slipknottin
08-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe, but he hasnt shown anything on STs like Herz, Paysinger or Jones all have. To be a depth LB, you need to play STs and play it well.

Disagree with this. We havent seen anything because TV angles dont actually show the STs players, just the returner then whoever ends up making a tackle. He could be playing great out there and none of us have seen it. Coaches will decide on that

fansince69
08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Disagree with this. We havent seen anything because TV angles dont actually show the STs players, just the returner then whoever ends up making a tackle. He could be playing great out there and none of us have seen it. Coaches will decide on that

Are you sure? based on what I see on these boards...I would have guessed the posters make those decisions

JJC7301
08-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Jones is not a lock to make the team, he was average as a ST player, and he has not played well in preseason.

Boley and J Will have been out for over a month now, and neither seem any closer to being healthy.

Kiwi, Boley, Rivers, Herzlich, Blackburn, Paysinger, JWill, and then a spot for either Jones or Muasau, or perhaps neither.

Theres always the possibility that Boley or JWill get put on IR too, if their injuries do not improve.
I'd have to go with Muasau over Herz, Pay, and/or Jones. It sounds like Muasau has already impressed more than those 3 have so far in their short careers. I'm not knocking the guys and I'm very happy and comfortable with our LB depth (can't believe I'm using "depth" when describing the Giants LB corp), but I can't recall an instance where any of those guys really made any plays that other board members have written about.

Martyr
08-21-2012, 02:25 AM
I'd have to go with Muasau over Herz, Pay, and/or Jones. It sounds like Muasau has already impressed more than those 3 have so far in their short careers. I'm not knocking the guys and I'm very happy and comfortable with our LB depth (can't believe I'm using "depth" when describing the Giants LB corp), but I can't recall an instance where any of those guys really made any plays that other board members have written about.

No disrespect to Muasau but he's played in one preseason game. Based on that you would take him over Paysinger and Herzlich?

Ny_STAT1989
08-21-2012, 03:25 AM
I love this guys story and I am happy he got a chance to play after being sidelined week one. I have mix feelings on who should eventually start at MLB its between Herzlich and him.The giants are gonna have to make some tuf cuts to make this year (excluding Barden).

GMENAGAIN
08-21-2012, 06:47 AM

JWill is already back at practice.

I agree that if Muasau makes the 53, Jones is the most likely to go.

B&RWarrior
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Neither Boley or Jaquan are MLBs

RichGiants81
08-21-2012, 06:55 PM
anyone who thinks massau is gonna take herzlichs spot this year should just stop watching football all together

RichGiants81
08-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Neither Boley or Jaquan are MLBs

both have been considered for the middle this year and might see time there , never said they were MLBs my mistake was that i thought he was referring to massau being the most athletic LB on the team

Breezely
08-21-2012, 09:33 PM
SLIP!. . . . .thank you!!!! I have been asking about this kid. There was another post about "who do you want to see this preseason" or something like that, and one the players that I had picked was Mausau. I did not see either preseason game but taped the last one. I am about to go watch now. I am really curious about this guy (especially because I live in Atlanta). Georgia State University football program is probably only 4 years old and this guy was a beast.

Thanks Slip!!!!!

JJC7301
08-22-2012, 12:45 AM
No disrespect to Muasau but he's played in one preseason game. Based on that you would take him over Paysinger and Herzlich?
Yes, I would, if he was actually "turning heads." Neither Paysinger, Herz, or Jones have done anything that stands out. Just going based off of what started this thread, that he was making some plays and covering (I'm assuming good coverage) of the TE's, then that is already more than the three aforementioned players have been able to do...except for special teams.

I'm not talking about dumping Boley, J. Will, or Kiwi, but one of the 3 guys above from last year are still extremely questionable themselves. I would take Muasau over one of those guys.

Roswell777
08-22-2012, 05:17 AM
It does seem like, in the last two years, Reese is getting better at drafting and/or finding talented young LBs. That's something he wasn't able to do a few years ago.

PRGiant
08-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Hate to say it but I didn't like Blackburns play At all vs the Jets... Loved what he did for us coming back midseason but he might get cut again.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 06:59 AM
It does seem like, in the last two years, Reese is getting better at drafting and/or finding talented young LBs. That's something he wasn't able to do a few years ago.

I am not sure "getting better"is the phrase I would use....is the linebacker situation better? yes...but Reese really has not changed what he has done recently

When he drafts linebacker they are usually mid to late round picks ...that has not changed.....looking back at drafts since 2007 he really has not drafted many
.The only one he has drafted recently that is good is JW.....Jones looks to be a quality backup

herzlick fell into our lap because of the cancer....some luck there....Paysinger was free agent too

before that you have Sintim who many considered a very good linebacker coming out of college....just did not fit our system and can not stay healthy.......hard to fault reese for that

phillip dillard ...nothing there

brian kiehl,,,played year or two was gone......nothing great

goff...got hurt but at time looked like he could have been a very adequate mb

Deossie who is listed as a linebacker but is a special teams snapper and I think what most would call a nice piece on this team

boley was a free agent signed by reese before you claim he got good at this.......kiwi was drafted before reese took over and blackburn is serviceable at best although it is hard not to like his attitude...but he has been here longer than 2-3 years

I see what you are saying but it has taken reese longer than 2-3 years to build this group.....it just seems like it because the pieces are just starting to fit now