PDA

View Full Version : LaRon Landry could face a fine for hit on Cruz

Toadofsteel
08-19-2012, 10:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000051692/article/laron-landry-could-face-fine-after-hit-on-victor-cruz?module=HP11_content_stream

Safety LaRon Landry announced his presence as a member of the New York Jets' defense Saturday night with a vicious hit on New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz.
Schein: Why Rex will get a ring
Rex Ryan is truly the perfect coach to lead the New York Jets to a Super Bowl title. Adam Schein explains why. More ...

We suspect the NFL will announce its presence with a fine for Landry next week. Landry appeared to lead with his helmet, not his shoulder. He wound up hitting Cruz in the chin. It was a massive hit, but Cruz jumped up quickly to signal first down and show he was doing well. Read More... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000051692/article/laron-landry-could-face-fine-after-hit-on-victor-cruz?module=HP11_content_stream)

NYGiantsFan56
08-19-2012, 11:05 AM
LaRon Landry has not played a full season yet. That's why Redskins parted ways with him. Just another odd piece to this Jets Team which is shaping up into a disaster. Takes more than a dirty hit to put the Cruz Man down,

appodictic
08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I do not really think it was dirty. It was an old school hard hit. I bet he is wondering where is the fine on jacobs for that hit.

gmen0820
08-19-2012, 11:13 AM
LaRon Landry has not played a full season yet. Unless my eyes deceive me, he played -- and started -- 47 of his first 48 games. http://www.nfl.com/player/laronlandry/2495658/profile

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I do not really think it was dirty. It was an old school hard hit. I bet he is wondering where is the fine on jacobs for that hit.

huh? a rb can truck whoever its not a penalty. LL def led with his helmet and its not a maybe, he def is getting fined

NYGiantsFan56
08-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Unless my eyes deceive me, he played -- and started -- 47 of his first 48 games. http://www.nfl.com/player/laronlandry/2495658/profile
Friend is a Season Ticket Holder for redskins. Told me the guy is always hurt?

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
his firs 48 games he was healthy for the most part. since then, he has missed a bunch of time including last season with that achilles injury that he still hasnt corrected

NYGiantsFan56
08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
his firs 48 games he was healthy for the most part. since then, he has missed a bunch of time including last season with that achilles injury that he still hasnt corrected
Thanks for clarification. So basically he has not been healthy for the past couple of years

gmen0820
08-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for clarification. So basically he has not been healthy for the past couple of yearsYup, past two years he's missed about half of each season.

He didn't look to gimpy, but I want to see how he'll hold up.

RoanokeFan
08-19-2012, 11:54 AM

A hit doesn't have to be "dirty" to merit a fine or a flag. "Dirty" implies intent and Landry's helmet hit Cruz's facemask in the area of the chin. That's a foul.

BParcells777
08-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Isn't LaRon the guy Jacobs TOTALLY trucked??? I guess he was looking for payback

yoeddy
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM

Jacobs hit him with his shoulder, not his helmet...

titwio
08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
From my view that was a good, clean football hit. I didn't see any helmet to helmet contact and his intent was to separate him from the ball.

I think the NFL just wants to eliminate hard hits in general.

jomo
08-19-2012, 04:23 PM
A hit doesn't have to be "dirty" to merit a fine or a flag. "Dirty" implies intent and Landry's helmet hit Cruz's facemask in the area of the chin. That's a foul.I agree RF, that's where and how he hit him. That is also a very tough call to make when the ball carrier naturally makes himself smaller ahead of the hit. Awefully tough to redirect your hit once you've committed. We'll have to deal with this over the coming years as the league continues to craft rules to protect the players. We might as well get ysed to it. It is going to cut both ways.

fansince69
08-19-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree RF, that's where and how he hit him. That is also a very tough call to make when the ball carrier naturally makes himself smaller ahead of the hit. Awefully tough to redirect your hit once you've committed. We'll have to deal with this over the coming years as the league continues to craft rules to protect the players. We might as well get ysed to it. It is going to cut both ways.

I actually had more problem with the hit that took out his legs at the same time Landry hit him...not illegal but good chance of losing a knee that way...

RoanokeFan
08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
From my view that was a good, clean football hit. I didn't see any helmet to helmet contact and his intent was to separate him from the ball.

I think the NFL just wants to eliminate hard hits in general.

If you watch the hit in slow motion, Landry's helmet clearly contacts Cruz's facemask. What Landry intended to do is really irrelevant in terms of the letter of the rule. Even one of the atrocious announcers acknowledged it was helmet to helmet after watching it again.

RoanokeFan
08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I agree RF, that's where and how he hit him. That is also a very tough call to make when the ball carrier naturally makes himself smaller ahead of the hit. Awefully tough to redirect your hit once you've committed. We'll have to deal with this over the coming years as the league continues to craft rules to protect the players. We might as well get ysed to it. It is going to cut both ways.

And your point makes me think an official would not have necessarily seen the questionable contact in real time.