PDA

View Full Version : My 10 quick observations from last night's game.......

Evo'Ed
08-19-2012, 11:26 AM
10 things I noticed from last nights game (in no particular order):

1. Ruben Randle: Awesome concentration on the long pass from Carr. The zoom in showed the kid has some nice concentration. It was nice to see he got some separation from the DB.

2. Ruben Randle; Very odd to see Ruben Randle on a punt return. I just google'd his LSU stats and he has all of 4 PR during his LSU career. Not a fan of the kid returning punts. He has little experience doing it and his skill set (not a quick shifty guy) does not fit a PR role.

3. Hixon made an awesome catch on the 3rd and short on Revis.

4. Jernigan finally looked good on a catch and run; he showed some good acceleration.

5. Linval and Bernard were stout up the middle; the Jets wanted to run the ball and they got stuffed on some 3rd and shorts.

6. Eli and Cruz looked really in sync particular on those quick option routes.

7. Barden should have caught that 3rd down pass.

8. Keith Rivers made some nice plays.

9. Martinek has pretty good acceleration for a FB.

10. Hynoski actually had a carry!

Comments?

nhpgiantsfan
08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
One of my favorite plays was an incompletion. I absolutely loved that on the first play of the game they tried a long pass right at Revis. Showed guts.

buster55
08-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Was encouraging to see JJ make some plays and run well after the catch. Rivers played well, and liked Benard too. Thought second team Dline Marshall played hard. Moves fast for a big man. Got off the blocks and hustled tackled back from behind. Chased him down great hit.

jomo
08-19-2012, 02:45 PM
One of my favorite plays was an incompletion. I absolutely loved that on the first play of the game they tried a long pass right at Revis. Showed guts.It was a great call and Eli threw it where it had to be. He could have put the ball to the inside and let Cruz fight for it but why chance the interception at that point. He put it where only Cruz could catch it.

GMenFan12401
08-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I think the Hixon catch was 4th down, not 3rd, which makes it even better!

primetime
08-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Very impressed with Adewale Ojomo.

dave56dj
08-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Randle is the third option behind hosley and jernigan and was put back there because he has good hands and coughlins biggest issue is securing the ball. He didn't return mcuh at all at LSU but he did practice there quite a bit. Again he is not the first option.

Will Hill impressed again - although he was the culprit on the blown coverage on hill who tebow couldn't throw to despite not having a giant within 20 yards of him.

Wilson had a nice blitz pickup and despite not breaking anything you can just see he is electric and a constant home run threat.

Ojomo lit up the threes.

Hendricks played well with the twos and threes as well, as did massau and kuhn.

Hynoski is a very good FB.

While i'd like Jernigan to win that third spot I think hixon will be the guy. Barden's time is running out - not that he will be cut but he just needs to show up game three to even compete for the job.

Its been forever since we had anything remotely electric from our specials - but with hosley and wilson we may just finally be special.

ware had a rough game - the missed block on specials is unforgiveable. but probably still reliable enough for the second spot although i would love to see wilson there - not sure how brown makes this team, although scott doesnt look special either.

njg85m
08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
9. Martinek has pretty good acceleration for a FB.
Comments?

That's because up until it became obvious he would be in the NFL he was actually a running back his entire football career. The kid has the most yards of any RB in NJ Football history.

Not gonna get specific but it's pretty obvious that he suffers from the same disease that Toby Gerhardt / Peyton Hillis / Brian Leonard have or had when entering the big leagues.

TheAnalyst
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
My top 5 in no particular order:
1- Randle looks good! Looks like him and Hixon battling for that #3 spot. IF Randle pans out, do we let Nicks test the market in 2014? I love Nicks, but we are not letting Cruz go after this season, and it will be tough to keep both Nicks and Cruz on big contracts.
2- Hosley is going to be a very aggressive CB. He looks good in there already. He will be a very solid replacement for Ross in the future.
3- Our Oline is horrible. Baas looks like a weakling out there, getting pushed around on almost every play. Diehl cant block anymore. Im still not sold on Boothe being a starter. No RB will be able to do a damn thing getting hit behind the LOS.
4- Tynes is in mid season form. Nice FGs right down the middle, kick offs punched out through the back of the endzone consistanly. Our STs as a whole looked a ton better.
5- I keep on saying, Cruz is NOT a one year wonder. I think he is proving my case. Unbelieveable his ability to get open and get to the ball first. He is not a good WR, he is a GREAT WR.

lamas
08-20-2012, 11:20 AM
It was a great call and Eli threw it where it had to be. He could have put the ball to the inside and let Cruz fight for it but why chance the interception at that point. He put it where only Cruz could catch it.

Cruz had Revis beat but Eli threw that ball out of bounds.

NYGAiG88
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
1- Randle looks good! Looks like him and Hixon battling for that #3 spot. IF Randle pans out, do we let Nicks test the market in 2014? I love Nicks, but we are not letting Cruz go after this season, and it will be tough to keep both Nicks and Cruz on big contracts.

I wouldn't let Nicks test the market...I still believe he is our #1 Receiver

gumby74
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
2- Hosley is going to be a very aggressive CB. He looks good in there already. He will be a very solid replacement for Ross in the future.
3- Our Oline is horrible. Baas looks like a weakling out there, getting pushed around on almost every play. Diehl cant block anymore. Im still not sold on Boothe being a starter. No RB will be able to do a damn thing getting hit behind the LOS.
4- Tynes is in mid season form. Nice FGs right down the middle, kick offs punched out through the back of the endzone consistanly. Our STs as a whole looked a ton better.
5- I keep on saying, Cruz is NOT a one year wonder. I think he is proving my case. Unbelieveable his ability to get open and get to the ball first. He is not a good WR, he is a GREAT WR.
I've been thinking about this as well. If Randle shows signs, then I think Nicks will be out - assuming he will command a huge contract. We have A LOT of people we need to either resign or replace in the next 2 years. Between Hosely and Prince, we hopefully have someone to take over Webster's spot. With JPP we can Osi walk. If Joseph has a big year (like Coefield), he'll also most likely walk. Canty and Austin need to step up. KP will probably be gone also.

qroze
08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Ware had a horrible game.. perhaps this is why Wilson has now taken his spot and is taking 1st team reps today.

dave56dj
08-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Hakeem
Nicks is out number one and will
Get locked up- lets relax a little with randles 3 catches against the threes. Guys like Hakeem are not a dime
A dozen- sick hands - great size and excellent routes. Randle
Has a way to go

miked1958
08-21-2012, 10:26 PM
I think the Hixon catch was 4th down, not 3rd, which makes it even better!It was on fourth down. I remember cause the announcers made a comment that the giants didn't even think about it just went back to huddle like it was a regular down and drew the defense in making them think run and converted the 4&2 or 3 very easy. They also commented on how well placed the ball was by Eli where it could only be caught by Hixon

dave56dj
08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
great catch and throw by eli and hixon for sure - re-watching the tape if he had another second he had pascoe streaking open to the corner of the end zone, again its hard to tell if he had another moment cause the play happened fast and the jets were dogging - great catch and throw.

nygmen90
08-21-2012, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't want Nicks to test the market thats for sure...

zimonami
08-21-2012, 11:29 PM
I've been thinking about this as well. If Randle shows signs, then I think Nicks will be out - assuming he will command a huge contract. We have A LOT of people we need to either resign or replace in the next 2 years. Between Hosely and Prince, we hopefully have someone to take over Webster's spot. With JPP we can Osi walk. If Joseph has a big year (like Coefield), he'll also most likely walk. Canty and Austin need to step up. KP will probably be gone also.
I've been watching the Gmen since '58. Nicks will prove to be, in my humble opinion, the best wide receiver we have ever had... and Cruz might be right there with him. There is no way I would ever let Nicks walk, or even test the market. He is a must keep. Randle needs to give me a full year, or 2, before I can say he is in the same company. I would never consider letting Nicks walk cuz we have Randle.

Roswell777
08-22-2012, 05:38 AM
I've been watching the Gmen since '58. Nicks will prove to be, in my humble opinion, the best wide receiver we have ever had... and Cruz might be right there with him. There is no way I would ever let Nicks walk, or even test the market. He is a must keep. Randle needs to give me a full year, or 2, before I can say he is in the same company. I would never consider letting Nicks walk cuz we have Randle.

Agreed. Unless Nicks or Cruz want the Moon for their next contract, cannot see a scenario where the Giants don't get them both signed. I can see a scenario where they let Canty walk next year to keep Joseph. Or let Phillips walk next year if they are impressed with Hill.

But Nicks and Cruz have a chance to be the best tandem the Giants have ever had at WR.