PDA

View Full Version : Rivers look real good

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I thought Keith Rivers looked really good last night. was around the ball on every play it looked like. had a nice TFL, helped in the run game, and looked very quick and athletic.

he could end up being a starter or a depth player thats used a lot

gmen0820
08-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Very doubtful that you could get a player like Rivers, a LBer working with the ones, in the fifth round. It was hard for this move to bust, which made the poor response it received confusing, to say the least.

GameTime
08-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I thought Keith Rivers looked really good last night. was around the ball on every play it looked like. had a nice TFL, helped in the run game, and looked very quick and athletic.

he could end up being a starter or a depth player thats used a lot

wasn't that the purpose of bringing him to the Giants....

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Very doubtful that you could get a player like Rivers, a LBer working with the ones, in the fifth round. It was hard for this move to bust, which made the poor response it received confusing, to say the least.

yeah i didnt quite understand that response either. and gametime, yeah that was the plan, doesnt mean it ends up working out like that. so far so good imo

GameTime
08-19-2012, 12:42 PM
yeah i didnt quite understand that response either. and gametime, yeah that was the plan, doesnt mean it ends up working out like that. so far so good imo
I was just being a wiseass....:biggrin:

BlueMetal 40
08-19-2012, 01:17 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but from my perspective the concern was his injury history and ability to stay healthy. We know he was a top 10 pick and had the potential that dictated that draft slot. Here's to hoping his health stays with him so we can reap the benefits of a player the Bengals just quit on. A practice our organization does not engage in, sometimes to the point of our detriment.

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 01:21 PM
i dunno if his injury history is accurate tho. i know the reason he and the bengals parted ways was due to a disagreement about a forearm injury that the bengals IR'd him over (Rivers didnt think that was right) or something like that. He had a pretty stellar rookie season until he missed time, and he has been hurt but I dunno if it was a fluke or what...all I know is he looks damn athletic.

BlueMetal 40
08-19-2012, 01:29 PM
The first injury in the NFL was his broken jaw courtesy of Hines Ward, as far as I know. The IR incident was a wrist, if I am remembering correctly. Yeah, I have nothing but hope that he just rockets into the spotlight and kicks butt for us.

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 01:32 PM
yeah that was such a bs hit by ward...keep the head on a swivel i know but the play wasnt really even near Rivers and Ward went head hunting on a rookie no less...that was such a ****ty thing by ward...but yeah that was a fluke type injury, and the forearm injury, well I still dont know the extent of it and who was right or wrong between him and the begals

BigJ
08-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I made a previous post about him because he is a good player and if he keeps playing like this we can really use him. I just cant tell were he will fit??

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
could be all over the place. to be honest, if he can continue his progression in run support, he could play (and prob start) in either OLB spot. With how PF likes to move people all over the place, I dont think there will be an issue with getting him on the field...We could see him and Boley as the 2 lb's in the nickel set...we could even see him play the mike on passing downs...he has great quickness and athleticism/agility. at his size, and strength...he really could and should be a great player (which is why he went top 10 in his draft)

appodictic
08-19-2012, 05:03 PM
For a moment I thought this thread was going to talk about Phillip rivers and be an Eli hating thread. I am glad those days are over. LineBacker is all about matchups, maybe a game where we have to cover a character like Darren sprols having another linebacker option will help us match up.

titwio
08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
I've been very impressed with Rivers. He always seems to be in the mix wherever the ball is and has shown good physicality...something I thought he wouldn't be considering his injury history.

I'm really liking the Giants LB situation right now.

Eli TO Shockey
08-19-2012, 05:27 PM

that seems to be something you specialize in

jomo
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
That's our starter right there regardless of whether Jacquan returns. JW will be an excellent situational substitute where we need speed. He may also work in at the Deion Grant role in the box as an extra heavy DB. (though I see Will Hill filling that role as well) Very nice turn of events at LB depth.

fansince69
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
That's our starter right there regardless of whether Jacquan returns. JW will be an excellent situational substitute where we need speed. He may also work in at the Deion Grant role in the box as an extra heavy DB. (though I see Will Hill filling that role as well) Very nice turn of events at LB depth.

I doubt he starts over Boley or kiwi....as good as he is playing I don't know where he fits

jomo
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I doubt he starts over Boley or kiwi....as good as he is playing I don't know where he fitsSorry my bad, too much wine last night lol. I agree, he won't push Kiwi or Boley aside but the way he is playing gives us a luxury at LB that we haven't seen in ages.

fansince69
08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Sorry my bad, too much wine last night lol. I agree, he won't push Kiwi or Boley aside but the way he is playing gives us a luxury at LB that we haven't seen in ages.

agree...if we stay healthy....the defense looks solid

penguinfarmer
08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
He looked comfortable to say the least. I was wondering where the Giants would line him up. I thought Fewell would try him as the tampa2 MLBer or a finesse SAM shading outside of the TE, but I like him where he is now.

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 06:23 PM
i think we still can see him as that 3rd down tampa 2 mike backer penguin...he certainly has the speed/athleticism for it

i really think we're gonna see a lot of boley and rivers as the 2 lb's in that nickel 3 safety formation

RoanokeFan
08-19-2012, 06:27 PM

You? Never...

RoanokeFan
08-19-2012, 06:28 PM
i think we still can see him as that 3rd down tampa 2 mike backer penguin...he certainly has the speed/athleticism for it

i really think we're gonna see a lot of boley and rivers as the 2 lb's in that nickel 3 safety formation

That would be good

BigJ
08-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Im just throwing this out there but Since we are most def loosing Osi next year, and i really like Kiwi at LB I do, but he is only a 2 down backer. Maybe we keep Rivers and Kiwi goes back down to End next year and Rivers takes over strong Side, Rivers can be a 3 down backer, what u guys think???

giantsfan420
08-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Im just throwing this out there but Since we are most def loosing Osi next year, and i really like Kiwi at LB I do, but he is only a 2 down backer. Maybe we keep Rivers and Kiwi goes back down to End next year and Rivers takes over strong Side, Rivers can be a 3 down backer, what u guys think???

i think that was the plan when we traded for him. rivers has looked impressive thus far imo. ton of athleticism and agility mixed with his quickness...i mean he has a super high ceiling, which is why he was a top 10 pick a few yrs ago...if he can turn into the guy we hope he can be...we will be so dominant...

derekunion28
08-19-2012, 11:11 PM
hope he stays healthy and just gets better under PF SYSTEM

GameTime
08-19-2012, 11:11 PM
You? Never...
I resemble that remark...:)

UmenYiourAnIdiot
08-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Rivers has good talent and seems to be all there with his physical abilities after the injuries. He will provide invaluable help to our young LB corps who haven't really had many accomplished veterans in the group except for Boley and the recent addition of Blackburn who has a wealth of intelligence to share.