PDA

View Full Version : Where is the running game?

SuperNYGiants
08-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Are the Jets defense that good? I don't think so. Which means the Giants still have trouble running the ball. As good as Eli is, sometimes Eli passes too much out of need and I don't really like to see that because then the offense becomes predictable and Gilbride's play-calling is already predictable as it is. How are they going to address this issue? I'm not too comfortable going into the regular season with Beaty's banged-up back.

Ahmad is already hurt again, and Ware has no speed, and he's just average in power running. It looks like David Wilson has to step up and come through for us is the running game, he really has to learn the QB protection real fast otherwise the running game looks like it's going to be very limited.

GameTime
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
the running game is waiting for an oline to come togther......

Giantz4Life
08-19-2012, 09:17 PM

This. I was worried about our ability to run block prior to camp/preseason and so far my fears have been confirmed :(

GameTime
08-19-2012, 09:20 PM
This. I was worried about our ability to run block prior to camp/preseason and so far my fears have been confirmed :(

I think the oline will come together but not in the config its in now. There will be a dif LT for sure. Just dont who. Snee and Deihl better light a fire under this group!! They need to be nasty, physical, and smart.

TheEnigma
08-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I'd be more optimistic about the O-line if the issues were simply mental mistakes like not properly identifying which G's need to pass protect against which DTs but that isn't the case. These guys are getting beat at the point of attack and not opening holes in the running game on a constant basis. I'm afraid the only solution might be for our developmental prospects to prepare for next year or target some offensive linemen in next year's draft in the early rounds.

GameTime
08-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd be more optimistic about the O-line if the issues were simply mental mistakes like not properly identifying which G's need to pass protect against which DTs but that isn't the case. These guys are getting beat at the point of attack and not opening holes in the running game on a constant basis. I'm afraid the only solution might be for our developmental prospects to prepare for next year or target some offensive linemen in next year's draft in the early rounds.
so you pretty much have no hope for this season regarding the oline.....
I disagree......they will get their collective asses in gear and turn it on....

TheEnigma
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I disagree......they will get their collective asses in gear and turn it on....

What makes you think they will? Just curious.

And the two players I can get optimistic for are Sean Locklear and Chris Snee. No one else gets me excited.

ebick
08-19-2012, 09:32 PM
This is the pre-season......what you see means next to nothing. Last pre-seaon, the Giants appeared to be able to run at will and couldn't pass for anything.....

SuperNYGiants
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM
What we can possibly hope for in regards to the running game is that maybe the opposing defense would give Eli a little more respect in the passing game and have more success in catching them off-guard since Gilbride loves calling the draw play.

Another possible factor that would improve the running game is the sheer talent of David Wilson, in which he would break tackles and just run past the defenders with his speed regardless of the run blocking or lack thereof.

So I see some possibilities of the running game improving from last season, but ultimately it would be great to have the OL improve themselves.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
I disagree......they will get their collective asses in gear and turn it on....They didnt last year. Same issues rearing ugly head.

GameTime
08-19-2012, 09:44 PM

And the two players I can get optimistic for are Sean Locklear and Chris Snee. No one else gets me excited.
I have faith in the the coaches and the vets. I think the guys they have can do it. Its just a matter of how much desire and work they are willing to put in. Its up to Snee and the other vets to get their butts in gear.

TheAnalyst
08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Same place it was last year. In Rich Seubert and Shaun OHara's living rooms.

GameTime
08-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Suebert couldnt play and neither could O Hara...
they were previoulsy injured and not healed. No other teams picked them up last year. Are they playing this season?????
This season and last season has 0 to do with those two great Giants players. Time and players move on.

Snappinnecks
08-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Between the talent we have in Bradshaw, D.Ware, and D.Wilson there's absolutely no reason why our running game should be sub-par. That is....except if you account for the fact we have an inadequate offensive line :)

TheEnigma
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I have faith in the the coaches and the vets. I think the guys they have can do it. Its just a matter of how much desire and work they are willing to put in. Its up to Snee and the other vets to get their butts in gear.

I never really saw desire and work ethic as an issue for our O-line. It was just simply getting beat by the other guy. Hopefully they do turn it around this year and make lots of people (myself included) look like fools.

TheAnalyst
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Suebert couldnt play and neither could O Hara... they were previoulsy injured and not healed. No other teams picked them up last year. Are they playing this season????? This season and last season has 0 to do with those two great Giants players. Time and players move on.Ok. Exactly. Not saying they can play now, just saying that's where it went. We lost a ton without those 2.

GameTime
08-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I never really saw desire and work ethic as an issue for our O-line. It was just simply getting beat by the other guy. Hopefully they do turn it around this year and make lots of people (myself included) look like fools.
I am of the belief that 99% of the NFL players can all p;lay at a high level if they have the desire and work eithic to get it done. Of course some have more natural talent than others but I think at the pro level in any sport drive and esire separates the run of the mill players with the great ones.....

derekunion28
08-19-2012, 10:58 PM
cant get any worse then 32 in the league so i em positive we improve lol

Harooni
08-19-2012, 11:00 PM
its possible with BJ gone Safeties no longer have to come up to stop that force that he was and now can drop back , thus hurting our PA's

Buddy333
08-19-2012, 11:34 PM
The same place it was last year.

BeatYale
08-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Are the Jets defense that good? I don't think so.

So you think the Jets defense is bad? They've ranked in the top 5 for the past few years.

Martyr
08-20-2012, 12:10 AM
It disappeared with Prince's balls

RichGiants81
08-20-2012, 12:59 AM

Kevin booth is a solid player, Perry's has solid potential. Diehl has been on two super bowl teams but I guess that doesn't matter anymore? I'm worried too but I think they can come together and play as an average o line, our offense now with an average o line will be unlike anything we have seen in recent years

RichGiants81
08-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Petrus* damn spell check

TheEnigma
08-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Kevin booth is a solid player, Perry's has solid potential. Diehl has been on two super bowl teams but I guess that doesn't matter anymore? I'm worried too but I think they can come together and play as an average o line, our offense now with an average o line will be unlike anything we have seen in recent years

Boothe wouldn't start on many other teams. He's good in the sense of his reliability though.

Petrus should of earned a starting job in his 3rd year by now.

Diehl's talent has no correlation with the amount of Super Bowls that the Giants have won. He struggles against most pass rushers and constantly needs RB support. Here's an article that talks about Diehl - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/12/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

BlueSanta
08-20-2012, 02:09 AM
The running game is in the backfield, along with all the opponents defensive linemen

ELI_Iz_God
08-20-2012, 02:36 AM

O-line means something when it comes to running up the middle...running to the outside relies more on the running backs skill to make people miss..which if I'm not mistaken, is a major strength with David wilson.

rainierjef
08-20-2012, 03:18 AM
O-line means something when it comes to running up the middle...running to the outside relies more on the running backs skill to make people miss..which if I'm not mistaken, is a major strength with David wilson.
wrong
if the oline can't hold their blocks then its those DE's that chase down the RB and either stop them for a minimal gain, no gain or a loss. Oline has everything to do with every aspect of running the ball. i like to think as far as Oline to RB its a 60-40 deal sure a speed RB can shoot the gap before the hole is gone but if that oline really sucks there will be no hole to begin with.

BlueSanta
08-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Boothe wouldn't start on many other teams. He's good in the sense of his reliability though.

Diehl's talent has no correlation with the amount of Super Bowls that the Giants have won. He struggles against most pass rushers and constantly needs RB support. Here's an article that talks about Diehl - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/12/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

ehh Ill give you that he wasnt good last year and 2010. But That 2007 Sb he was a strong player for us. I cannot take that away from him. unfortunately, he peeked then though.

Giantz4Life
08-20-2012, 04:09 AM

That doesn't make much sense. The O-Line is very important on ANY type of run. The guard has to be athletic enough to pull and make speed blocks for the RB on outside runs. Without that, the RB is getting demolished in the backfield.

RichGiants81
08-20-2012, 05:40 AM
[QUOTE=TheEnigma;453239]Boothe wouldn't start on many other teams. He's good in the sense of his reliability though.

Diehl's talent has no correlation with the amount of Super Bowls that the Giants have won. He struggles against most pass rushers and constantly needs RB support. Here's an article that talks about Diehl - [url]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/12/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles

Booth is a legit starter and the fact that Diehl started on two super bowl teams does mean something, he held up his end well enough for them to win it all, he did it twice and I have a feeling he will do it again. Diehl is still a good player but he belongs at guard not tackle

Marvelousmik
08-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Are the Jets defense that good? I don't think so. Which means the Giants still have trouble running the ball.

Im not saying the O line run problem has been fixed but i wont look too much into the jets game. they have always been a good run stopping team ever since rex has been there. We looked good vs the jags running the ball and bad vs the jets. chances are we wont look so good vs the bears either. We just have to wait and see

JesseJames
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
after being last in the league in running the ball last season I was expecting the team to really do some serious work in fixing the problem but so far it looks the same ole same ole. Its going to be pretty easy for teams to defend us this season when they know they don't have to worry about the run. I know we have David Wilson now and he should add something to the run game but if we can't run block better than we have its going to be hard for a rookie to get through holes that aren't there...

jmfsch
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
and has looked soft for 3 years.... nowhere near our best Olineman. He was only really dominant in 07 and 08. Boothe is by far the best blocker out of the group. Baas looks like crap, and Diehl shouldn't even be out on the field. Our Oline is a sad state of affairs.

njg85m
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Can we give Joe Martinek a few snaps at RB and see how he does?
(Yes, I know i've been mentioning this a lot lately)

giantsfan420
08-20-2012, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=TheEnigma;453239]Boothe wouldn't start on many other teams. He's good in the sense of his reliability though.

Diehl's talent has no correlation with the amount of Super Bowls that the Giants have won. He struggles against most pass rushers and constantly needs RB support. Here's an article that talks about Diehl - [url]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/12/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles

Booth is a legit starter and the fact that Diehl started on two super bowl teams does mean something, he held up his end well enough for them to win it all, he did it twice and I have a feeling he will do it again. Diehl is still a good player but he belongs at guard not tackle
i disagree. he was putrid at G. he gets zero push from the interior, or at least didn't last season.

I think moving to RT could end up rejuvenating his career bc its the only spot on the OL where his diminished lateral agility isn't too big a deficiency to overcome. u want the RT to be able to run block first and foremost, which is one of the things DD can get done. Being a top notch pass blocker isnt necessary to the RT spot. at LT, where DD faced guys with speed, his lack of lateral agility killed him, he couldn't compensate for that...i actually expect a good year from DD at RT. and i think the coaches are using this line of thinking themselves as they haven't moved him back to LT with Beattys injury...they believed Lockler provided more security for Eli at the LT spot and that says something. and to be honest, i havent hated locklers play from LT either.

the run game has sucked since the OL broke up from the unit that spent 5 yrs together. i think baas is more talented than ohara, but that doesnt matter when u dont know what the guys next to you are thinking and doing. Boothe is a good G but he hasnt matched Seubert. DD was even doing much better and at a position he wasnt equipped to play. that all had a lot to do with comfort and with Eli...but last season it was pretty much all eli. the OL needs to spend time together, and last yr they got that time. they should start playing better. its still only preseason

Diamondring
08-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Giants don't need to run real well to win games. Actualy, they are made to pass the ball more cause they have a lot of receiving talent. The more talent you have, the more potent your offense will be. The only thing the Giants really have to do is improve their pass blocking. We all should know that there are different types of offense. The Pats hardly run a lot and yet their offense is real powerful. If the Giants improve their running game too much, they can abuse the run like they did in 08. In 08, they needed another receiving threat other than Plax. Toomer at that time was not enough. Giants need to use more of a passing offense this year and run here and there.

the Giants getting some O-linemen in next years draft so they can run the ball more. Long as the Giants have enough talent to do positive things, they will be straight this year.

RoanokeFan
08-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Their time had come. As bad as the OLine was last season, we excelled in spite of it. They will be better this season.

Dwinsballgames
08-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I saw Deihl and Snee both get pushed into the backfield on more than one occasion the other night.

Joe Morrison
08-20-2012, 04:56 PM
San Francisco

Buddy333
08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
This will be bad for Wilson. Not only because he won't have room to run, but because they will probably use Bradshaw and Ware a lot for protection.

miked1958
08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Are the Jets defense that good? I don't think so. Which means the Giants still have trouble running the ball. As good as Eli is, sometimes Eli passes too much out of need and I don't really like to see that because then the offense becomes predictable and Gilbride's play-calling is already predictable as it is. How are they going to address this issue? I'm not too comfortable going into the regular season with Beaty's banged-up back. Ahmad is already hurt again, and Ware has no speed, and he's just average in power running. It looks like David Wilson has to step up and come through for us is the running game, he really has to learn the QB protection real fast otherwise the running game looks like it's going to be very limited.Better question would be "Where is the OLine?"

radar-ray
08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Better question would be "Where is the OLine?" This!!! Also, where is the RB pass protection.