PDA

View Full Version : Time to find a new beast offensive tackle

GreenZone
08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
In all the planning over the past few years, and with a 32nd running game, the Giants may have rolled the dice and lost on not drafting a beast for the tackle position.

They may well have solidified the blocking at the Tight End position with Bennett. He's looking good for the most part.

But it also looks like Locklear is not going to hack it and that the depth is a major problem.

The only solid positions, IMO, are Center and Right Tackle. Baas is everything and more than the Giants expected.

But the Tackles are the big question mark. Diehl was merely adequate last year.

With Will Beatty a huge question mark, I'm looking for the Giants to acquire another Tackle through the last cuts or more likely through a trade if there is one available out there to go after.

fansince69
08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
In all the planning over the past few years, and with a 32nd running game, the Giants may have rolled the dice and lost on not drafting a beast for the tackle position.

They may well have solidified the blocking at the Tight End position with Bennett. He's looking good for the most part.

But it also looks like Locklear is not going to hack it and that the depth is a major problem.

The only solid positions, IMO, are Center and Right Tackle. Baas is everything and more than the Giants expected.

With Will Beatty a huge question mark, I'm looking for the Giants to acquire another Tackle through the last cuts or more likely through a trade if there is one available out there to go after.

Because really good LT just grow on trees...there are at 10 available in every draft,,at least 5 of those go past the 20th pick which is where the Giants have drafted most of time in last few years and every team is so willing to part with theirs that they line up to trade them and the really good ones get cut so i am sure the Giants will have their pick after final cuts(should all be in red just not sure how)

giantsfan420
08-20-2012, 12:56 PM
i wouldnt say the giants have hit and missed in any way when talking about 1rst round picks. we havent reached for a player imo...any OT at 32 was a reach imo altho i did like martin

BeatYale
08-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Half of the dilemma is getting these guys to gel and play better as a unit. Throwing new faces in the huddle won't correct that problem, it can make it worse.

TheAnalyst
08-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Half of the dilemma is getting these guys to gel and play better as a unit. Throwing new faces in the huddle won't correct that problem, it can make it worse. and the other half is being talented. And we are lacking in that department IMO. We need to get some big uglies to protect our franchise QB.

KillaRich
08-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Can we please let the season start and go through at least 2 games before we make judgements? How many times in the past have we said something failed when in the end life isnt so bad??

oldsmobile
08-21-2012, 01:01 AM
If Reggie is healthy and avialable ---- Resign him !!!!!!!

TheEnigma
08-21-2012, 01:15 AM
There's some decent offensive linemen coming out of college next year. Lewan, Jones, Fluker, Faulk, Williams, etc.

nygmen90
08-21-2012, 01:17 AM
chadclifton is currently a f/a

Kase-1
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I think my feelings on Diehl are well documented on these MBs (love him as depth, but he cant cut it as a starter) but Beatty is disappointing me left and right and I was leading that beatty bandwagon that has recently become de-railed. This next draft we need to look in depth at drafting 2 OTs in the 1st few rounds.

We need to protect our Professor and having shaky edges isnt the way to do it

GameTime
08-21-2012, 04:56 PM

the fact that you said Baas is all they expected and more and that Deihl is the only other solid OLimen just blew your whole arguement....

Snee....probowler. Boothe better at LG then Baas is at center. Oh yeah...Boothe plays center too. A monster LT is not neccessarily needed for a great run game.

rcrane
08-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Because really good LT just grow on trees...there are at 10 available in every draft,,at least 5 of those go past the 20th pick which is where the Giants have drafted most of time in last few years and every team is so willing to part with theirs that they line up to trade them and the really good ones get cut so i am sure the Giants will have their pick after final cuts(should all be in red just not sure how)Yeah, without the red, many people would be confused that you were being sarcastic, you didnt lay it on thick enough.

fansince69
08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah, without the red, many people would be confused that you were being sarcastic, you didnt lay it on thick enough.

if I wrote that without red...which no one still has told me how to use on new boards......someone would get all in my face thinking I was serious....I promise....don't be naive the red is needed

jomo
08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
May I suggest that we really need 2.

bringsimmsback
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
As another poster pointed out, Chad Clifton is out there. A few teams, including the Patriots, have brought him in. Anyone know more about him and have an opinion on bringing him in? The list of free agent tackles at NFL.com seems to have mostly Right Tackles and lists some who are retired.

JesseJames
08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
if we wait too long to find a decent blocking LT Eli will already have his best years behind him, actually with the LTs we have had in there I'm surprised Eli hasn't been killed so far

TheEnigma
08-21-2012, 05:50 PM
We should utilize the spread passing game in the short - intermediate range more often to cover up our offensive line. I actually recall last year when Gilbride would call a short pass play to Nicks to start off a drive and it was pretty effective for 5-8 yards at a time.