PDA

View Full Version : Bradsaw's hand OK, but GIANTS want to establish DJ Ware and Davis Wilson

RoanokeFan
08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
LINK (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ahmad-bradshaw-hand-ny-giants-establish-backups-ware-david-wilson-article-1.1139896)

Excerpt: "With two preseason games remaining and only 16 days until the opener at home against Dallas, it’s not clear who is ready to fill Brandon Jacobs’ shoes as the No. 2 running back behind the injury-prone Bradshaw. It figures to be either D.J. Ware or first-round pick David Wilson (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/David+Wilson), but they combined for a measly 41 yards on 19 carries in the Giants’ 26-3 win over the Jets on Saturday night.
Each of them did some good things.

Neither did anything that made Tom Coughlin comfortable enough to say they had the job.
“We didn’t have any really breakout runs to speak of,” the coach said on a conference call on Sunday. “It was pretty inconsistent, and some choppiness. Each one of the guys seemed to have a play or two that was good and a play or two that was bad.” Read more...

TheShouldersOf
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
they should give Wilson more Snaps if they want to establish him,

i understand he has to gain the trust in pass protection, which he seems to be picking up quick on, from the first to second game,

but they should give him some runs with the First team offense, take him out on passing plays if they don't fully trust him yet

RoanokeFan
08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
they should give Wilson more Snaps if they want to establish him,

i understand he has to gain the trust in pass protection, which he seems to be picking up quick on, from the first to second game,

but they should give him some runs with the First team offense, take him out on passing plays if they don't fully trust him yet

If I've learned anything about this team, it's that they are patient with developing players. Players like WIlson, who have tremendous upside potential, get opportunities to put what they're being taught into practice. It's not always a quick transition because of the demands placed on our skill potision players. Wilson will very likely be starting at some point this season and it would not surprise me if he doesn't eclipse Bradshaw. But I have total faith and confidence in the coaching staff to know when that time is. One thing I do know, putting a player out there before he cana handle the position can do more harm than good if all it does if create doubts.

TheShouldersOf
08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Indeed, Indeed

if they put Wilson in before he is fully confident within the knowledge of his assignments apart from running and something happens, his upsides just turn into downsides

in personal opinion, i believe they should give Wilson increasing opportunities, and obviously I'm looking at it from a more biased opinion, the coaches are on the inside,

gumby74
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Like I was saying before. It doesn't matter who you have back there. If the Oline isn't blocking, your RB isn't getting any yards. Wilson is no exception.

RoanokeFan
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Indeed, Indeed

if they put Wilson in before he is fully confident within the knowledge of his assignments apart from running and something happens, his upsides just turn into downsides

in personal opinion, i believe they should give Wilson increasing opportunities, and obviously I'm looking at it from a more biased opinion, the coaches are on the inside,

I think they also want to give Wilson more carries and I want him to succeed as I already bought his jersey :)

giantsfan420
08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
i think a big point is being overlooked that I had mentioned earlier and the article mentions. i had said last night and earlier today that ware may be ahead of wilson for the 3rd down back role, but in terms of spelling bradshaw, esp on 1rst and 2nd downs, Wilson is the better choice right now. 3rd down back has more responsibility in terms of pass protection, whereas 1rst and 2nd downs are run heavy and the rb will have a more defined role in relation to the play. I'm positive the Giants could get Wilson out there on 1rst and 2nd downs and put him in a situation where he can play without overthinking or being responsible for eli's safety...

RoanokeFan
08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
i think a big point is being overlooked that I had mentioned earlier and the article mentions. i had said last night and earlier today that ware may be ahead of wilson for the 3rd down back role, but in terms of spelling bradshaw, esp on 1rst and 2nd downs, Wilson is the better choice right now. 3rd down back has more responsibility in terms of pass protection, whereas 1rst and 2nd downs are run heavy and the rb will have a more defined role in relation to the play. I'm positive the Giants could get Wilson out there on 1rst and 2nd downs and put him in a situation where he can play without overthinking or being responsible for eli's safety...

We get too wrapped up in numbering players. For several years it's been a running game by committee and that's not going to change any time soon. I prefer to let the coaches decide who gets what calls, when.