PDA

View Full Version : hynoski filling jacobs old short yardage role?

jax5338
08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
i only caught the first half of the game vs. the jets the other night, but out of everything i saw my favorite had to be hynoski carrying the ball on a 3rd and short!

one thing i will not miss about jacobs is those short 3rd and 4th downs where he's in a single back set with a jumbo package and it goes for a loss of a yard or two. those drove me crazy!

i loved seeing hynoski get a quick handoff and just pound thru quickly out of the I-formation. the play develops much quicker, and he wasnt the only option in the backfield, so the defense had more to worry about. i know he won't be carrying the ball 10+ times per game like jacobs was, but he's definitely showcased some talent out of the backfield receiving the ball, and i believe he was among the all-time leading rushers in pennsylvania HS history, so he's gotta know how to pound the rock.

im intrigued to see how we handle these types of situation this year, i hope henry gets a few touches because the past few years there was no situation i dreaded more than a 3rd or 4th and 1. our playbook was oh so predictable in such situations.

i think it's definitely time for the gmen to break their streak of not handing the ball off to a fullback. anyone know the last time they did? my guess is around 2009 with hedge****.

giantsfan420
08-20-2012, 07:28 PM
i like this idea and also passing out of those short yardage situations...we aint converting with the same hb dive play over and over. mix it up

GameTime
08-20-2012, 07:32 PM
1 carry....2 yards and a first down. Lets keep it in perspective. Hope its an option they can utilze

giantsfan420
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
a message board. one post, with one suggestion; to use hyno on short yardage situations every now and then. where else can he propose his idea? lets keep it in perspective, bc I dont think anyone likes being told "keep it in perspective"...

giantyankee1976
08-20-2012, 07:41 PM
I gotta say when he ran the ball I thought about Big Greg Comella... a reach, I know, I know

point is I like Hynoski but admit to having a soft spot for the FB position from playing TB in my High School days...I loved seeing my guy blow up a LB or End so I could slip by...

occasionally (embarrassed)

jax5338
08-20-2012, 07:43 PM
a message board. one post, with one suggestion; to use hyno on short yardage situations every now and then. where else can he propose his idea? lets keep it in perspective, bc I dont think anyone likes being told "keep it in perspective"...

hahah exactly.

excuse me for noting that the giants might wanna change it up and use the hynocerous to pick up a few short yardage first downs here and there instead of the classic one RB set, run to the left of center for no gain. how dare i think outside of the box!

GameTime
08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I did say I hope they utilize him as runner......so ease up....

08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Back in H S HYNOSKI ran for a million yards and a thousand TDs

Toadofsteel
08-20-2012, 08:46 PM
The Packers use Kuhn to run the football a lot in short yardage situations as well...

slipknottin
08-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Someone did a study a month or so ago of which backs had the best success rate in short yardage.

Bradshaw was near the top of the list, while Jacobs was about average.

Bradshaw should be the short yardage back.

jax5338
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
The Packers use Kuhn to run the football a lot in short yardage situations as well...

right. i feel a quick handoff to a FB is more effective because it takes less time to develop and the FB gets to the point of attack quicker and can plow his way forward for the necessary yardage.

nygmen90
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
love to see hynoski for 1 or 2 yards a game.

jax5338
08-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Someone did a study a month or so ago of which backs had the best success rate in short yardage.

true, but two things:

A) what was bradshaw's sample size compared to jacobs? im talking 3rd and 4th down conversions only.

B) i believe the RB (bradshaw, maybe wilson) should be the first option in said situations. i just think it would be reasonable to mix in hynoski in their once in a while instead of always running a single back set or putting pascoe in the backfield who we all know isnt going to run it. to me the giants run the same few variations of maybe 3 plays just switching the play sides in said situations. they are not as effective as the should be,

giantyankee1976
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
screen pass to the flat baby !!!

YATittle1962
08-20-2012, 10:07 PM
only difference is he got the yard

giantsfan420
08-20-2012, 10:09 PM
ya know, i never understood why we didnt line up and run jacobs from the fb in run heavy formations. i mean what helped hyno convert was how close to the LOS he was so that when he burst, there wasnt a wall of defenders at the line yet...

we even began to run the ball with jacobs like that slightly. in the SB, watch Jacobs first run. they lined him up outta a virtual fb spot, he was just in a single back set....

i dont know why we havent done a ton of things especially on short yardage situations...

BigBlue1971
08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
i think Hynoski is one of those "at the right time" kinda players. hes most effective when least expected and i think Eli will utilize him that way.

Hynoski is not a 10-15 touches per game guy but when he does touch it i predict he'll be effective in what he does!

miked1958
08-20-2012, 11:03 PM
a message board. one post, with one suggestion; to use hyno on short yardage situations every now and then. where else can he propose his idea? lets keep it in perspective, bc I dont think anyone likes being told "keep it in perspective"...I loved him last year out of the back field on the short dump offs that he took for ten plus yards

Harooni
08-21-2012, 12:14 AM
I love it, I don't know why teams moved away from running the fullback over the last decade.

juice33s
08-21-2012, 12:28 AM
I love it, I don't know why teams moved away from running the fullback over the last decade.
Giants haven't used one since Charles Way....The guy was a beast

BlueSanta
08-21-2012, 01:24 AM

I think that may have been true(regarding Jacobs) early in his career. But last year he was not good at all in short yardage situations. In fact, going tback to his early years as a backup to Tiki, I think BJ was among the best in the league at short yardage. However, I do recall his stats last year being very below average in this category. I will, however, admit that I did not have enough energy or care to look it up officially.

giantsfan420
08-21-2012, 03:03 AM
no u r right. jacobs was one of the better short yardage backs. esp behind tiki. it wasnt until he hurt that knee that it really went south...that and the added carries of being the featured back...we hoped that he could get back to that level if he wasnt the featured back...didnt work out

BlueSanta
08-21-2012, 04:11 AM
no u r right. jacobs was one of the better short yardage backs. esp behind tiki. it wasnt until he hurt that knee that it really went south...that and the added carries of being the featured back...we hoped that he could get back to that level if he wasnt the featured back...didnt work out

Pshhh! like we can trust your memory Mr. 420.

Oh wait, you agreed with me.....

giantsfan420
08-21-2012, 04:14 AM
lol i think its a first

fansince69
08-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Jacobs was quoted when he was first drafted that if he needed just a yard...no one would stop him....for the first year or two...that was pretty accurate....for the last two or three is has been pretty easy to stop him

appodictic
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
that is a type of play that only works because it is unexpected. We ran a similar play with hedge**** once single back and it got stuffed in a very critical situation. Our short yardage game suffers because at best our oline holds the D up. The generally do not move people anymore. Go watch Arian foster running through gaping holes his oline makes, then look at our guys routinely dodging people in the backfield.

nycsportzfan
08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
I actually called for that play on the GDT on the 3rd and short.. Now, i don't think they should do it all the time, but by all means, they should mix it in a alittle bit and keep it in the defenses mind.. Hynoski is purt brute strength and should get a tad more carries then he has, and overall he should be involved a bit more.. This guys probably the most talented FB we've had in quite some time, and i'd like to see more then just blocking outta him.. I think he could be a poor mans Mike Alstott, and in the mix of a Kuhn from GB.. Hes got more then just blocking skills...

nycsportzfan
08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
People need to realize the kinda runner Hynoski was in High school and he was pretty effective in college as well. some of the draft guys on here and i all loved him coming out and pretty much mentioned his name in every rd from 5-7 and then as a UDF during his draft and udf period..

slipknottin
08-21-2012, 05:09 PM
true, but two things:

A) what was bradshaw's sample size compared to jacobs? im talking 3rd and 4th down conversions only.

They were very similar in terms of sample size.

jax5338
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
They were very similar in terms of sample size.

you have a link to this article? im curious to see who the top short yardage guys in the league are.