PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning confident in Locklear at left tackle

RoanokeFan
08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/16114/manning-confident-in-locklear-at-lt)

Excerpt: "The Giants' regular season opener is just 15 days away, and yet the team still does not know who will be protecting Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning)'s blind side against theDallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) at MetLife Stadium.

Projected starting left tackle Will Beatty (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12610/will-beatty) missed yet another practice on Tuesday because of his back injury, and there is growing concern that he won't be ready to play by Sept. 5.

In the meantime, 31-year-old Sean Locklear (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5609/sean-locklear) -- signed by the Giants last April -- has been manning the position with the first unit." Read more...

giantsfan420
08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
im confident Lockler will do a better job at LT than DD could...Pretty sure Eli is looking at it that way

Moke
08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Well, Eli is telling the truff.
I have full confidence that Eli knows 100% what he's talking about. Glad to see that he is confident in Loc

dave56dj
08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
While he may do slightly better then DD - remember DD will still be playing at right tackle and is durable but certainly very flawed. Locklear was a backup/ swing for a reason. While both may stop the gap (we can only hope) these two are not the answer for any longer then this year. I do hope Beatty can get that back together and we can find out if he has a future protected elis back. We may finally need to draft a tackle in the first round in 13.

GMan-67
08-21-2012, 10:00 PM
well his mom was smoking hot back in the day, so i'm confident, since he probably had to block some late night creepers :)

giantsfan420
08-21-2012, 10:11 PM
While he may do slightly better then DD - remember DD will still be playing at right tackle and is durable but certainly very flawed. Locklear was a backup/ swing for a reason. While both may stop the gap (we can only hope) these two are not the answer for any longer then this year. I do hope Beatty can get that back together and we can find out if he has a future protected elis back. We may finally need to draft a tackle in the first round in 13.
lockler was a starter for 7 of the 8 years he was in the league...hes not just a swing tackle. he prob woulda been LT for seattle longer but they had walter jones. Lockler was on that roster when they went to the SB IIRC as their RT

dave56dj
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Yep he started in seattle - I was just saying he has been a swing for a while.

giantsfan420
08-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Yep he started in seattle - I was just saying he has been a swing for a while.
when? he started 4 games last season for DC and the year prior was a full time starter going on 7 years...

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Locklear ranks 11th overall for Pass Blocking Efficiency the last 3 years. Even if he does play worse, it'll still be an improvement.

dave56dj
08-22-2012, 01:48 AM
I guess i should have said he has been a starter (swing last year) but the majority of starts come at RT not LT.

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 05:23 AM
lockler was a starter for 7 of the 8 years he was in the league...hes not just a swing tackle. he prob woulda been LT for seattle longer but they had walter jones. Lockler was on that roster when they went to the SB IIRC as their RT

And we won 2 superbowls with DD, whats your point that they went to the Superbowl with him at RT?

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Locklear ranks 11th overall for Pass Blocking Efficiency the last 3 years. Even if he does play worse, it'll still be an improvement.

And vince Young has a top ten QB rating, if you want to go by those kind of rating systems

tonyt830
08-22-2012, 05:35 AM
All we can do as fans is hope for the current o-line to continue to gain some continuity and cohesiveness. I think with more reps with the 1st team at LT, Locklear will continue to improve. If Eli is gaining confidence in him, thats definitely a positive.

I know Coughlin is the HC, and it seems right now he is wanting to keep Locklear at LT and Diehl at RT. But who knows, next week, maybe he makes the move to flip flop them. But if he is satisfied with Locklear at LT, thats who we might be looking at come week 1. I hoped for Beatty to be healthy and ready to go this season at LT, but I think that his back is going to be an issue off and on all season.

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 06:35 AM
And vince Young has a top ten QB rating, if you want to go by those kind of rating systems

The difference between the two systems is that the NFL uses the QB rating system while PFF uses one that accounts 4th quarter comebacks and any interceptions that are the fault of the receiver doesn't hurt the QB.

The NFL's system has always been atrocious. 1-1 3 yards and a TD will give you an amazing QB rating which is just an insufficient way of grading such things. A QB could go 5-8 with 150 yards and 3 Int's (but they were tipped by the receiver) and it then blames the QB. I stopped using the NFL's system last year and just rely on watching the film and PFF's occasional articles.

Regarding the original topic with Locklear, the gap between him and DD at pass blocking is so huge that I'm willing to take a chance on believing Locklear is a superior pass blocker any day of the week. DD has always been more of a run blocking guy anyway.

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 06:53 AM
The difference between the two systems is that the NFL uses the QB rating system while PFF uses one that accounts 4th quarter comebacks and any interceptions that are the fault of the receiver doesn't hurt the QB.

The NFL's system has always been atrocious. 1-1 3 yards and a TD will give you an amazing QB rating which is just an insufficient way of grading such things. A QB could go 5-8 with 150 yards and 3 Int's (but they were tipped by the receiver) and it then blames the QB. I stopped using the NFL's system last year and just rely on watching the film and PFF's occasional articles.

Regarding the original topic with Locklear, the gap between him and DD at pass blocking is so huge that I'm willing to take a chance on believing Locklear is a superior pass blocker any day of the week. DD has always been more of a run blocking guy anyway.

So what if a team runs a whole game of nothing but 3 step drops and 5 yard routes, no time to get to the QB, does the tackles "pass block efficiency" then increase or even border line perfect for that game?

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 07:02 AM
So what if a team runs a whole game of nothing but 3 step drops and 5 yard routes, no time to get to the QB, does the tackles "pass block efficiency" then increase or even border line perfect for that game?

That's actually a very good question. This is why Buffalo's offensive linemen were extremely hard to properly analyze because their offense consisted mostly of a short passing game. What you are on the cusp of asking is "How long does the tackle spend in pass protection each play? 2.5 seconds? 3? Maybe 5 or more?

Here's a really good article that sort of gives a more in-depth look at what you are asking - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/16/pressure-telling-the-whole-stor/

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Not to jump on David Diehl, but Locklear is a clear upgrade at LT over DD. Hopefully we'll get Will Beatty back before too long.

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 07:21 AM

The problem is you will wear the linemen out and sooner or later, if that's all you do,the other guys will come up with a fix.

Redeyejedi
08-22-2012, 07:59 AM
im confident Lockler will do a better job at LT than DD could...Pretty sure Eli is looking at it that way As a bad as Locklear is he is in fact an upgrade to David Diehl who is the worst starting pass Blocking LT in the NFL.

Buddy333
08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
What happened to this OL? I hope Eli gets rid of the ball very quick. To bad they will be so one dimensional this year.

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
The problem is you will wear the linemen out and sooner or later, if that's all you do,the other guys will come up with a fix.

I just meant this strickly on the rating system for the tackle.

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 08:38 AM
That's actually a very good question. This is why Buffalo's offensive linemen were extremely hard to properly analyze because their offense consisted mostly of a short passing game. What you are on the cusp of asking is "How long does the tackle spend in pass protection each play? 2.5 seconds? 3? Maybe 5 or more?

Here's a really good article that sort of gives a more in-depth look at what you are asking - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/16/pressure-telling-the-whole-stor/

thanks for the read bro

JesseJames
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
if not Locklear at LT then who, Beatty is turning into a professional patient with his back and can't be counted on for anything, I think we should all be thankful we have Locklear...

repeatchamps
08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
As a bad as Locklear is he is in fact an upgrade to David Diehl who is the worst starting pass Blocking LT in the NFL.

Pro-Football Focus ranks him 11th in pass blocking in the NFL. He has started his entire career except last year granted at RT, why exactly is he bad?

giantsfan420
08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
he isnt. theres this misconception about him. he was a solid starter opposite walter jones in seattle for a few years, and started 7 straight. last yr he started 4 games as a FA for Wash.
He's solid. He has more lateral ability than DD, which is why we have kept him at LT and DD at RT. We KNOW DD cant get it done at LT anymore. At best, DD would be avg at LT. However, he could be a good RT. Lockler is a good RT, and could be a good LT.
I also like DD and Snee playing alongside each other. I think that will actually be good for the run game. I also believe Beatty is gonna be ready sooner than a lot are thinking. Which would also make it pointless to move DD to LT when he can get used to RT while Lockler does as good a job as DD at LT and could do much better...

I'm actually not as worried as I was last season about the OL. The preseason is tough for some OL bc they arent incorporating a lot of scheme. Our guys arent realy road graders anymore. We are gonna have to pull G's and use the TE a lot. I think with Wilson and Bradshaw, two rb's who dont need big holes, we will have a functioning run game. We just need a run game that can keep defenses honest so they cant all out defend the pass without getting punished for it.

I believe this OL will be alright in pass protection. KMac and DD were AWFUL last season. I KNOW Lockler will be an improvement over DD at LT, itd be impossible not to. We'll be alright I think, to the point where Eli can do his thing...

repeatchamps
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
he isnt. theres this misconception about him. he was a solid starter opposite walter jones in seattle for a few years, and started 7 straight. last yr he started 4 games as a FA for Wash.
He's solid. He has more lateral ability than DD, which is why we have kept him at LT and DD at RT. We KNOW DD cant get it done at LT anymore. At best, DD would be avg at LT. However, he could be a good RT. Lockler is a good RT, and could be a good LT.
I also like DD and Snee playing alongside each other. I think that will actually be good for the run game. I also believe Beatty is gonna be ready sooner than a lot are thinking. Which would also make it pointless to move DD to LT when he can get used to RT while Lockler does as good a job as DD at LT and could do much better...

I'm actually not as worried as I was last season about the OL. The preseason is tough for some OL bc they arent incorporating a lot of scheme. Our guys arent realy road graders anymore. We are gonna have to pull G's and use the TE a lot. I think with Wilson and Bradshaw, two rb's who dont need big holes, we will have a functioning run game. We just need a run game that can keep defenses honest so they cant all out defend the pass without getting punished for it.

I believe this OL will be alright in pass protection. KMac and DD were AWFUL last season. I KNOW Lockler will be an improvement over DD at LT, itd be impossible not to. We'll be alright I think, to the point where Eli can do his thing...

As always, I agree with everything you are saying. Let us not forget Boothe is now locked into that starting Left Guard position, with more reps in one spot finally, he can only get more consistent than he was even last year. Other than watching David Diehl's performance at RT I am most interested in seeing how Baas plays this year. He has a year under his belt in this scheme and another year at Center, so I hope to see him, based on the money he is making, to start yielding significant results. I honestly was in favor of moving Boothe to Center and Baas back to his natural Guard spot this offseason. I wanted Coughlin to force Boothe to take 10's of 1000's of snaps over the offseason until he mastered it but alas it was not to be so I sure hope Baas makes the impact needed at Center.

VA#80
08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
whats up with Will beaty i have concerns about that guys seldom healthy and questionable dispossition as he addresses the media about his game. I just question his passion! what you think?

LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/16114/manning-confident-in-locklear-at-lt)

Excerpt: "The Giants' regular season opener is just 15 days away, and yet the team still does not know who will be protecting Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning)'s blind side against theDallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) at MetLife Stadium.

Projected starting left tackle Will Beatty (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12610/will-beatty) missed yet another practice on Tuesday because of his back injury, and there is growing concern that he won't be ready to play by Sept. 5.

In the meantime, 31-year-old Sean Locklear (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5609/sean-locklear) -- signed by the Giants last April -- has been manning the position with the first unit." Read more...

MattMeyerBud
08-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Well, Eli is telling the truff.
I have full confidence that Eli knows 100% what he's talking about. Glad to see that he is confident in Loc

not for nothing, but if Eli didn't have confidence in him he still would say pretty much the same thing.

He wouldn't out the guy like that

Captain Chaos
08-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Anyone else feel like he's just saying the right things....

MattMeyerBud
08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Anyone else feel like he's just saying the right things....

thats all he ever does. Hes like Derek Jeter in that sense