PDA

View Full Version : Can Rivers Replace Boley at his Starting Linebacker Position?

NYGiantsFan56
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Starting to get nervous about Boley's hamstring injury, The guy cannot seem to shake the hamstring problem and when he took the field today he still felt pain apparently. Coughlin has had nothing but praise for the way Keith Rivers has been playing. Boley is a beast and one the key linchpins of our defense but if he doesn't get healthy within the next week he wont be ready for the regular season and the job will probably go to Rivers. The question is can Rivers fill the role until Boley makes it back on the field. I always considered Rivers as a solid backup not a starter.

dave56dj
08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
We will soon find out - he did a nice job against the Jets. When healthy he has flashed the ability to be a legit starter. Like boley its his speed that helps him play the run and pass. He is not that stout at the point of the back - but really Boley isnt that type either. I think Rivers can hold the fort for sure. And if he does more then that suddenly Boley is the aging vet and less needed. Not that I wan Boley gone at all but as we all know this is a business and rivers is cheaper and younger. We will get another look this friday.

juice33s
08-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Rivers or Williams...WLB might be the deepest position on the team

LB5656
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
I would go as far as to say that right now Rivers prob has the most ability of all the LB on this roster(maybe with exception to Jaiquan?). Hes big, hes fast, and hes strong. As you've seen in the past two pre season games he clearly stands out at LB. IMO he can be more than just a starter he can be a star. He wasn't picked that high in the draft for nothing... I think Jerry got a HUGE steal in him for a 5th round pick. Boley better get back soon or he may not get it back at all....

derekunion28
08-21-2012, 11:31 PM
cry me a RIVERS..... if he stays healthy i think he will beast...just a guesss tho..

giantsfan420
08-22-2012, 12:45 AM
I would go as far as to say that right now Rivers prob has the most ability of all the LB on this roster(maybe with exception to Jaiquan?). Hes big, hes fast, and hes strong. As you've seen in the past two pre season games he clearly stands out at LB. IMO he can be more than just a starter he can be a star. He wasn't picked that high in the draft for nothing... I think Jerry got a HUGE steal in him for a 5th round pick. Boley better get back soon or he may not get it back at all....
well said. that was my thoughts as soon as i heard we got him. he literally has the measurables u dream of when thinking of the perfect OLB. dude is quick, explosive, fast, fluid in his movements...he should be legit. he will be fine holding the fort for boley while he gets better...boley better hope rivers doesnt kill it...well actually i think we'd move kiwi to de and lb depth and start boley and rivers at OLB...it would give us a ton of versatility

egyptian420
08-22-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm just worried about who goes in the middle if Blackburn gets hurt. I'm not quiet sure if Jones is ready.

Roswell777
08-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Jones was moved outside and is in a fight to be on the final roster. It all depends on how many LBs they decide to keep. Only so many seats on the Blue Bus....

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 05:34 AM
I think rivers has looked pretty good in preseason, and I know Boley is our most reliable LB and we all want him out there, but I think Rivers can handle it at this point

tonyt830
08-22-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm just worried about who goes in the middle if Blackburn gets hurt. I'm not quiet sure if Jones is ready.I think Herzlich will be ready to take over at the mike this season, should he be needed.

But as to the original question, I think Rivers can hold down the Will until Boley is healed and ready to come back. From what I read on Giants.com, Rivers says the wrist that landed him on IR last year, is doing fine(paraphrasing).

NYGisBallin
08-22-2012, 06:25 AM
I feel like Rivers can make a nice impact. Fresh start, The guy obviously has something to prove. In our scheme he could be a scary piece.

ryan12
08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
i like rivers he has looked good so far as long as he stays healthy we got a steal with him

miked1958
08-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Rivers or Williams...WLB might be the deepest position on the teamalthough Williams has also been slowed by an injury this preseason you are right it is the deepest position on team right now. We just start out boley on PUP if need be

GameTime
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
hope so...he has what it takes he just has to really want this second chance......

SackingMyths
08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Absolute steal. Everyone kissed the Eagirls' feet for stealing Demeco Ryans but I think the Rivers acquisition is more than on par with it.

I love Boley and if both were healthy, I'd still want him as the starter. But it'll be interesting to see who the FO goes with long term since Rivers is only signed through this season (2012) and Boley's deal ends after next (2013).

Maybe if (WHEN) Osi leaves, Kiwi takes his spot at 3rd DE, and we have Boley AND Rivers manning the OLB position. That'd be sweet.