PDA

View Full Version : M Jones-Drew anyone?

tikiandphil
08-22-2012, 05:52 AM
I cannot see the Jags trading him but would you want him on the Giants if a win win traded could be made? Didn't he run for 1600 yards last year? I don't know how trades like this are done but I think I would want him running for Big Blue.
Thoughts?

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 05:57 AM
I cannot see the Jags trading him but would you want him on the Giants if a win win traded could be made? Didn't he run for 1600 yards last year? I don't know how trades like this are done but I think I would want him running for Big Blue.
Thoughts?

I knew this was going to come up, I say no right away because nobody can run behind our line right now, add to the fact that Giants dont make big blockbuster trades and I think you have your answer

tonyt830
08-22-2012, 06:02 AM
I knew this was going to come up, I say no right away because nobody can run behind our line right now, add to the fact that Giants dont make big blockbuster trades and I think you have your answerBingo! Wow that didnt take long for a Jones-Drew thread to be started---LOL!!

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Thoughts?

We can't afford him and don't need him

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 06:14 AM

^ this is a great reason as well, there is just no use for him, no use to even bring this up

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 06:36 AM

Can't afford is completely true but I don't know about the not needing him part. A top 5 player from any position is always a plus to have no matter who you are.

GMENAGAIN
08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Sigh . . . . .

GCGiant
08-22-2012, 06:45 AM
I can only think of a handful of guys who were able to gain yards despite having poor blocking. Of course, Jim Brown comes to mind. Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders...I'm sure I'm leaving a few out. My point is this. Let's open some holes and see how good the guys we have are before we go out signing primmadonnas. JMO, though.

Redeyejedi
08-22-2012, 07:06 AM
He will be 30 next year as well. That would also be a ridiculous amount of resources put into RB. We would have about 17 Million in salaries plus the Draft pick we would have to send to the Jaguars. Plus we have zero cap room to make this deal which would mean u would have to push money into future years which would cripple this team when Jones Drew declines. U would have what LT was for the Jets last year making 12 million dollars who u cant cut

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Can't afford is completely true but I don't know about the not needing him part. A top 5 player from any position is always a plus to have no matter who you are.

He's too self absorbed to fit here and we have a # 1 draft pick in David Wilson who is going to make everyone forget about MJD.

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 07:15 AM
I can only think of a handful of guys who were able to gain yards despite having poor blocking. Of course, Jim Brown comes to mind. Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders...I'm sure I'm leaving a few out. My point is this. Let's open some holes and see how good the guys we have are before we go out signing primmadonnas. JMO, though.

This is going to be the biggest need for improvement that will put us in a position to repeat.

NJGMEN10
08-22-2012, 08:31 AM
If anyone understands how our organization is, our current team, the salary cap, and all of that works, they would know that the idea of that is almost literally impossible. With that being said, if I was in the jets organization, I would give up A LOT to get this guy. The idea of ground and pound with him and tebow would probably excite them. However, they would still have to find a replacement for Wayne Hunter.

BigBlue1971
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
naw i wouldnt want him on the Giants! we need players who play out their contract!

fansince69
08-22-2012, 08:34 AM
naw i wouldnt want him on the Giants! we need players who play out their contract!

Like Osi?...

NJGMEN10
08-22-2012, 08:34 AM

I agree with you. Also, the defenders weren't as fast and conditioned as they are now. Therefore, it is even HARDER nowadays to gain yards with no blocking. Also, the blockers back then could get away with more as far as penalties. You are right though, I don't care how good you are....if there are no holes, you are going nowhere.

BigBlue1971
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Like Osi?...

exactly!!!!

fansince69
08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
exactly!!!!

I am not trying to hijack this thread because there is a whole wasted thread about red type=sarcasm.............But what the hell does blue type mean? lol

greenca190
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
He will be 30 next year as well. That would also be a ridiculous amount of resources put into RB. We would have about 17 Million in salaries plus the Draft pick we would have to send to the Jaguars. Plus we have zero cap room to make this deal which would mean u would have to push money into future years which would cripple this team when Jones Drew declines. U would have what LT was for the Jets last year making 12 million dollars who u cant cut

He's 27. His first three years he played a part time role behind Fred Taylor in Jacksonville. I believe the guy still has tread on his tires for the next five years.

He's too self absorbed to fit here and we have a # 1 draft pick in David Wilson who is going to make everyone forget about MJD.

Once again, the guy backed up a should be hall of famer in Jacksonville for three years before taking over the starting position. He understands the concept of a dual back system, the benefits, etc. and I believe even at this point of his career, he would accept such a role. The thing is, not many running backs in dual back systems make the money he wants.

Now, I don't think a trade is going to happen to bring him to the Giants. I do not believe you can run a successful offense in this day and age by handing out a fat contract to a running back (I guess the Houston Texans can prove me wrong on that, though). I think MJD would be a tremendous fit here, but it's not going to happen.

miked1958
08-22-2012, 08:51 AM
We need to keep what we have. AB is a very good RB. Gets the job done. Behind him we need to develop the young guys and turn one or two of them into the next big star. I think with what we have back there we are fine. I think if any trade is made it should be to bring in a top 5 OL not a RB.

Moke
08-22-2012, 08:55 AM
MJD is a great RB, but too expensive and we definitely don't need him.

ryan12
08-22-2012, 08:56 AM

this is the truth

TheAnalyst
08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXrwnbwo7A3sry19q7n5kuLh7WoAkdv o0qJDQndWcCL1RtRBSXKA

LISTEN PEOPLE! If we had Barry fricken Sanders right now it would not matter. OUR OLINE CAN NOT OPEN ANY LANES UP OR GET ANY PUSH!

GameTime
08-22-2012, 09:04 AM
yes sir......

Martyr
08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
You guys all say no but if the Giants did trade for him everyone would be creaming there panties on here.

TheAnalyst
08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
You guys all say no but if the Giants did trade for him everyone would be creaming there panties on here.

Id be upset... very upset.

#1 - we just drafted David Wilson to be our #1 for the furture.
#2 - we would of traded a 2nd rounder at least for MoJo
#3 - we would have to sign him to a huge contract, something we have no cap room for, which would cripple our team.
#4 - MoJo is only 27, but he was used and abused in Jacksonville and his legs wont last much longer
#5 - we dont need another Osi situation since we finally just ended our Osi situation
#6 - MoJo wont do much here with the Oline we have

GameTime
08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
yes and no. The Giants O isnt tailored for his skill set. On the other hand he can catch out of the backfied.
But you have AB as the #1 and you draft Wilson as the ventual #1. So you set things back and create controversy. So nah....I wouldnt really like it.

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
MJD would help us out immensely but I still feel like his potential would be better elsewhere like the Bengals who have a very good O-line that can run block.

Either way, defensive coordinators would show him a good amount of respect just based on his accomplishments and the fact that we love to establish the run game no matter what. It would make defenses bring their safeties in closer to the LoS more often.

Anyway, it's never going to happen unless we blackmail his agent and the dude's entire family.

thomsoad
08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
MJD is a great RB, but too expensive and we definitely don't need him.

How do we not need a great RB? You said that statement yourself.
As it stands MJD is to expensive... i agree.
BUT (and its a big but) if he wanted to forgo the bigger contract in return for a contender instead of a team constantly in rebuild... why wouldnt we want him?

Moke
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
How do we not need a great RB? You said that statement yourself.
As it stands MJD is to expensive... i agree.
BUT (and its a big but) if he wanted to forgo the bigger contract in return for a contender instead of a team constantly in rebuild... why wouldnt we want him?

I meant it as "he's expensive and we don't need to carry that burden right now"

njg85m
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I say no right away because nobody can run behind our line right now

Tell that to Matt Forte.

TheAnalyst
08-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Tell that to Matt Forte.

Barry Sanders would have issues with our line right now, so Matt Forte would most likely hate it, being hit behind the LOS on 50% of his runs.

ImElectric2
08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Annnddd this thread is why we need red font...

njg85m
08-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Barry Sanders would have issues with our line right now, so Matt Forte would most likely hate it, being hit behind the LOS on 50% of his runs.

You think our offensive line is worse than the bears has been in recent history? I sure don't.

I do agree that without a solid O-line, a RB's job gets a heck of a lot harder. But I think Forte is proof that a great running back can excel despite poor blocking. I also think David Wilson could turn out to be our very own Forte.

Let's hope it's a non issue though and these guys mesh together well by week 1!

Moke
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
I think Chicago's offensive line is weaker than ours, but Matt Forte has that talent to succeed. I am not so sure MJD can succeed with our offensive line, as well as Chicago's

njg85m
08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Week 11? I sure it's before that lol

I grew up with 20/15 vision. I put off accepting the fact that I needed glasses for as long as I could too, my friend :)

Moke
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I grew up with 20/15 vision. I put off accepting the fact that I needed glasses for as long as I could too, my friend :)

LOL, I edited my post. I couldn't believe someone would say "week 11", that I needed to go back and make sure you wrote "week 11". I mistook the "!" with a "1".

Eh, yeah, I work for an accounting firm staring at numbers all day so don't mind my ****ty eyes.

Plus, I still wear glasses

SweetZombieJesus
08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
We already have on RB at the end of his career and we had two last season.

RBs are a dime a dozen and most don't have long careers.

njg85m
08-22-2012, 11:39 AM
LOL, I edited my post. I couldn't believe someone would say "week 11", that I needed to go back and make sure you wrote "week 11". I mistook the "!" with a "1".

Eh, yeah, I work for an accounting firm staring at numbers all day so don't mind my ****ty eyes.

Plus, I still wear glasses

lol I know how you feel. OT: If you're staring at numbers all day, take my advice and don't get laser. I needed reading glasses for the first time in my life after that!

Moke
08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
lol I know how you feel. OT: If you're staring at numbers all day, take my advice and don't get laser. I needed reading glasses for the first time in my life after that!

Really? I was actually thinking about getting laser surgery, but I guess I have to look into that more because I would hate to spend money and go for the surgery and end up having to get glasses again

njg85m
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I think Chicago's offensive line is weaker than ours, but Matt Forte has that talent to succeed. I am not so sure MJD can succeed with our offensive line, as well as Chicago's

I agree. I think our best bet at getting our own "forte-esque" success if our line doesn't improve would be from Wilson if anybody, probably not Bradshaw, but we'll see.

Let's face it, we all knew this was coming eventually. The veteran line we were used to for so long had to come to an end sometime. It just sucks that virtually all of those guys started to show their age at the same time. I'm just hoping we can find a good group that can mesh and stay healthy so it doesn't need to be completely on the RB's to make plays.

njg85m
08-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Really? I was actually thinking about getting laser surgery, but I guess I have to look into that more because I would hate to spend money and go for the surgery and end up having to get glasses again

Yeah dude. I was never longsighted my entire life but after my surgery I was.
I can see from a distance like a hawk now though. Probably not a problem for most people, but for guys like us who are staring at a screen all day it kinda sucks.
Who knows, maybe the doctor just butchered me, I had mine done about 6 years ago so maybe they have made advances...lol. Worth mentioning at the very least.

rainierjef
08-22-2012, 12:42 PM

what does self absorbed have to do with talent?

*test2

JimC
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Thoughts?

Just one of the questions that would need to be answered, who do you get rid of to make room for him????

GoDeep80
08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
He's going to the Broncos or Colts. Bank on it.

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
He's 27. His first three years he played a part time role behind Fred Taylor in Jacksonville. I believe the guy still has tread on his tires for the next five years.

Once again, the guy backed up a should be hall of famer in Jacksonville for three years before taking over the starting position. He understands the concept of a dual back system, the benefits, etc. and I believe even at this point of his career, he would accept such a role. The thing is, not many running backs in dual back systems make the money he wants.

Now, I don't think a trade is going to happen to bring him to the Giants. I do not believe you can run a successful offense in this day and age by handing out a fat contract to a running back (I guess the Houston Texans can prove me wrong on that, though). I think MJD would be a tremendous fit here, but it's not going to happen.

Jerry Reese has a stable of running backs to develop. He also has a WR tandem wee truly need to extend/re-sign in Nicks and Cruz. If Reese isn't looking at that eventuality with every contract he signs off on, I'd be very surprised. He won't spend big bucks on a 30 year old running back at the expense of the future

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Only those saying yes, I'm thinking. I have a lot of faith in Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin.

njg85m
08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
It's just not going to happen...When was the last time we ever spent a massive amount of money on a high priced, established, top 5 position player?

For the most part we build our own talent, or get value from established talent. It seems to be working for us just fine too.

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
It's just not going to happen...When was the last time we ever spent a massive amount of money on a high priced, established, top 5 position player?

For the most part we build our own talent, or get value from established talent. It seems to be working for us just fine too.

You have hit the nail on the head!

bklyn1028
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
what does self absorbed have to do with talent?

*test2

It doesn't, but what good is talent if you're a prima donna?? It brings discourse to the locker room, and the NO ONE needs that. Kudos to Khan for not buckling in to another high priced NFL player who decided to hold his owner hostage because he thought he could. It burns my @ss when someone like him decides he "out-played" his contract. Sure, give me another contract, because I got most of it upfront and I spent it all, because that be me!!....Makes me sick.

Redeyejedi
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Jerry Reese has a stable of running backs to develop. He also has a WR tandem wee truly need to extend/re-sign in Nicks and Cruz. If Reese isn't looking at that eventuality with every contract he signs off on, I'd be very surprised. He won't spend big bucks on a 30 year old running back at the expense of the futureIt would be a crazy amount of resources. U cant pay Him 9 million per on top of Bradshaws average of 5 and a first round pick as well thats ridiculous. Plus again no cap room in this season so you would be pushing dollars into future years when u need to resign Nicks,Cruz and JPP. I for one would not sacrifice 1 of them for a RB. RB's are simply not worth it. How much winning has been done with MJD , Adrian Peterson , or Chris Johnson none. U pay 1.QB's 2.Pass Rushers 3.CB/WR's then everyone else.

rainierjef
08-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Only those saying yes, I'm thinking. I have a lot of faith in Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin.

hypothetically if the giants did show interest you would not be excited?

any team needs play makers i also agree that this won't happen but to try and act nonchalantly to the idea or slim possibility is in itself kind of acting high and mighty.

you say he's not needed why do you think so?

bklyn1028
08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
hypothetically if the giants did show interest you would not be excited?

any team needs play makers i also agree that this won't happen but to try and act nonchalantly to the idea or slim possibility is in itself kind of acting high and mighty.

you say he's not needed why do you think so?

If he is doing what he is doing now, why wouldn't he do it to Mara?

SackingMyths
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM
We'd all be ecstatic if we somehow got him. But he's holding out because he just led the NFL in rushing yards and wants to be paid like it. We need every penny we have to pay JPP, Nicks, Cruz AND we just spent a 1st rounder on a RB.

There's 0.0% chance of that happening. Khan said he has no intention of trading him anyway.

DVision
08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
We don't need him! We need our o-line to block like his! Rashad Jennings is putting up over 5 yards a carry behind that o-line!

EJ Blue
08-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Why do people think we need RBs when we need an O-line?

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Let the Eagles take him... that will screw their locker room up even more when the MJD-Shady conflict erupts...

BigBlue1971
08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I am not trying to hijack this thread because there is a whole wasted thread about red type=sarcasm.............But what the hell does blue type mean? lol

Big Blue! lol

fansince69
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Big Blue! lol

then every response should be blue.............

Imgrate
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd be pretty pissed if we went after him. I hate wasting assets on the running back position

BigBlue1971
08-22-2012, 03:15 PM
then every response should be blue.............

i tend to agree however most times i go with the default text color of black.

besides on the new boards i just discovered how to use these various options.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 03:18 PM
i tend to agree however most times i go with the default text color of black.

besides on the new boards i just discovered how to use these various options.

I still do not know how

BeatYale
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Great idea. Lets acquire MJD and let his new big contract eat up salary cap space that will make it more difficult to re-sign guys like Cruz, Nicks and JPP in the near future.

MattMeyerBud
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Thoughts?

there is a salary cap

Captain Chaos
08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
I knew this was going to come up, I say no right away because nobody can run behind our line right now, add to the fact that Giants dont make big blockbuster trades and I think you have your answer

Unfortunately there is some truth to what you say!

Giantz4Life
08-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I can honestly say with 100% certainty that no, if we signed him I would not be "creaming my panties".

I would be very confused and upset, because it would indicate that our FO is dumber than rocks, and had no concern about the future of this franchise.

The RB position is the one position where you should never shell out the big bucks or give up the world to acquire a big name.

BigBlue1971
08-22-2012, 10:26 PM
I still do not know how

check your pm!

Rat_bastich
08-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Wow...did I miss out on a Merriman one somewhere?