PDA

View Full Version : Matt Dodge trying out for the Bears

thomsoad
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Looks like Matt Dodge will be punting against us this week.
I for one (knowing im in the minority on this) really hope he does a great job.
Felt sorry for the kid during his time here... Always felt he deserved a second chance somewhere.

Moke
08-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Bears are going to be a force, on every single part.

ryan12
08-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Felt sorry for the kid during his time here... Always felt he deserved a second chance somewhere.

agreed i wanted him to beat out weatherford... thank god he didnt

TheAnalyst
08-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Dodge has a hell of a leg.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 03:03 PM

I am with you

njg85m
08-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Great news to hear.
I asked yesterday if he had even been invited to work out for anybody this year, and doubted that he would get a second chance.

I'm completely happy we have Weatherford now, but I still hope the kid gets his second shot and develops the way I'm sure he can.

EJ Blue
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Dodge has a hell of a leg.too bad he can't punt...

bklyn1028
08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I also felt bad for him, but TC did the right thing keeping Weatherford (although they should keep his cel phone out of the locker room). The kid just had rookie jitters to the nth degree. Hopefully for him he calmed down and will finally get a position on a team.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
too bad he can't punt...

Yes because every punter is Jeff Feagles during their rookie year

ryan12
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
too bad he can't punt...

not true he was good in training camp last year but weatherford was better

Moke
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Dodge just needs to work on his accuracy, and he'll be a great punter.

Don't let the whole D-Jax **** still get to you. People are still tainted by that moment.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
too bad he can't punt...

Feagles who is widely accepted as a great directional punter on here....NEVER got a ball downed inside the 20 till his 4th year in the league.....wonder how many were screaming for his head?

ny06
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
When did it become wrong on these boards to call a player for what he is? Matt Dodge was not a good punter.. period. Call it rookie mistakes, but the fact is he did nothing to help this team. He made 2 punts out of 72 that went the distance, but the other 70 we all held our breaths.

Moke
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
When did it become wrong on these boards to call a player for what he is? Matt Dodge was not a good punter.. period. Call it rookie mistakes, but the fact is he did nothing to help this team. He made 2 punts out of 72 that went the distance, but the other 70 we all held our breaths.

People have faith in his future.

EJ Blue
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
not true he was good in training camp last year but weatherford was betterokay then let me reassess my statement.

too bad he couldn't punt when we needed him to punt.

Moke
08-22-2012, 03:25 PM
okay then let me reassess my statement.

too bad he couldn't punt when we needed him to punt.

The Bears don't need him for how he punted with us.

OX1
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
The Bears don't need him for how he punted with us.

Hope they keep him, will help keep one team out of the playoffs (and thank god it won't be us this time).

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Dodge just needs to work on his accuracy, and he'll be a great punter.

Don't let the whole D-Jax **** still get to you. People are still tainted by that moment.Of course I am still pissed about that! When your Head Coach says "DO NOT PUNT IT TO D JAX" and thats exactly what you do, he is lucky to have any legs left at all!

njg85m
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Of course I am still pissed about that! When your Head Coach says "DO NOT PUNT IT TO D JAX" and thats exactly what you do, he is lucky to have any legs left at all!

I think the point is that his entire career that he worked his whole life to achieve should not be over because he had a bad rookie season following up one of the greatest punters to ever play the game.

Yes, he was terrible his rookie year and we are all extremely pleased that we now have Weatherford instead of him. But to deny that the kid deserves a second shot with SOMEONE, or that he doesn't show any promise of improvement is just plain foolish.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I think the point is that his entire career that he worked his whole life to achieve should not be over because he had a bad rookie season following up one of the greatest punters to ever play the game.

Yes, he was terrible his rookie year and we are all extremely pleased that we now have Weatherford instead of him. But to deny that the kid deserves a second shot with SOMEONE, or that he doesn't show any promise of improvement is just plain foolish.He can go tryout for Pop-Warner somewhere. He does not belong in the NFL. But I will tell you what, he can tryout anywhere he wants as long as its not for the G-men again. They should have put him where Hoffa lays!

B-Red22
08-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Do the bears play the turd birds and Desean jackson this year??? :D

thomsoad
08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Of course I am still pissed about that! When your Head Coach says "DO NOT PUNT IT TO D JAX" and thats exactly what you do, he is lucky to have any legs left at all!

Yeah cuz thats the sole reason why we lost that game.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah cuz thats the sole reason why we lost that game. I didnt even say that, but it was the straw that broke the camels back in more ways than one!

Moke
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
People deny that he'll be good because of how he punted with us for a year.... pathetic evaluation honestly

ny06
08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
People deny that he'll be good because of how he punted with us for a year.... pathetic evaluation honestly

How else are we supposed to evaluate him?

njg85m
08-22-2012, 05:07 PM

How about last pre season and the improvement he showed?

ny06
08-22-2012, 05:13 PM

So he goes from garbage to average. Care to explain the vast improvement in his game still had 31 teams not interested in his services?

OX1
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM

WOW, preseason?? The games that don't matter at all and have really no pressure put on a punter.

thomsoad
08-22-2012, 05:22 PM
WOW, preseason?? The games that don't matter at all and have really no pressure put on a punter.

With the Giants bringing in Weatherford and the NY Giant fans and media scrutinizing him all offseason...id say he had PLENTY of pressure in the preseason. And he didnt muff ONCE!

Say what you want about his rookie season...but fact is he didnt choke his sophmore season with us.

Moke
08-22-2012, 05:29 PM

You can evaluate him from 1 season, sure, but some people here are getting the idea that he'll never be a good punter just because of one year.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 05:29 PM
With the Giants bringing in Weatherford and the NY Giant fans and media scrutinizing him all offseason...id say he had PLENTY of pressure in the preseason. And he didnt muff ONCE!

Say what you want about his rookie season...but fact is he didnt choke his sophmore season with us.Thats cause he didnt have a sophmore season with us. LMAO.

On September 3, 2011, Dodge was released from the Giants.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Dodge#cite_note-4) The team had signed former New York Jet Steve Weatherford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Weatherford) to compete with Dodge for the punting position and Dodge failed to win the job.

njg85m
08-22-2012, 05:30 PM
So he goes from garbage to average. Care to explain the vast improvement in his game still had 31 teams not interested in his services?

Never said there was vast improvement I said he showed improvement last pre season, and a lot of promise, and I also said I was glad we dumped him and have Weatherford.

njg85m
08-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Tell that to TJ Conley please.

Edit: And you do realize last pre season Dodge and Weatherford were competing for 1 spot on the team right? I'd like to think that they did 'matter' and those guys did have 'pressure' on them.

thomsoad
08-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Thats cause he didnt have a sophmore season with us. LMAO.

On September 3, 2011, Dodge was released from the Giants.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Dodge#cite_note-4) The team had signed former New York Jet Steve Weatherford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Weatherford) to compete with Dodge for the punting position and Dodge failed to win the job.

Well since he was here for spring training camp and preseason games after his rookie season...he technically did have a sophmore season...albeit short

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 05:42 PM

Edit: And you do realize last pre season Dodge and Weatherford were competing for 1 spot on the team right? I'd like to think that they did 'matter' and those guys did have 'pressure' on them.Ok, I agree with the having the pressure part, however that is supposed to be what kickers thrive in or be able to block out. Dodge was a very big bust IMO. I am very glad the Giants gave up on that experiment.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Well since he was here for spring training camp and preseason games after his rookie season...he technically did have a sophmore season...albeit shortOk, you got me. He basically flunked out of summer school.

OX1
08-22-2012, 06:31 PM

Edit: And you do realize last pre season Dodge and Weatherford were competing for 1 spot on the team right? I'd like to think that they did 'matter' and those guys did have 'pressure' on them.

No where near the pressure you have where you could decide a game or end of a season. The BEST move we made during that offseason was Dodge to Weatherford. No matter what Dodge did to improve, no way he makes 12 punts in the rain and wind against the niners. If he improved so much, why is he on his 4th (at least the one's I remember) tryout. All the best to him, but I don't think he ever makes it.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1104854&nid=5834054&fhn=1
http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-jets/2011/10/27/2518338/report-matt-dodge-gets-workout-with-new-york-jets
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/10/11/2483192/rumor-jaguars-to-work-out-punters-nick-harris-matt-dodge

and to ice it off...........

Who said this??

"but especially that he was able to control field position with directional punting. That is something that I’ve always really thought was amazing. So I watched tons and tons of film with him knowing I wanted to be like that. I wanted that skill. I admired it. I’m not nearly as good at directional punting as Jeff was, but I’m going to work really hard this offseason and try to improve on what I was able to do last year.”

http://prod.www.giants.clubs.nfl.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-re-sign-punter-Steve-Weatherford/bef554b9-0597-4513-803e-ada3dc71ab2e

Captain Chaos
08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Dodge has a hell of a leg.

Bricks for hands and mush for metal...did the Bears sign another one of our wayward punters Mayneard (sp) funny how these guys can hop from team to team....

BigBlueAllDay
08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Well, then it'll be a good opportunity for someone on the Giants to stamp a claim on the PR position in the upcoming preseason game.