PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fan are you?

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Alot of the posts on here make me feel somewhat intimidated. So many of you know so much technical stuff about the game, but not me. I'm learning that I may be the type of fan who never knows all the players stats, yards, and all that technical stuff. I wish I did sometimes though, so I could have real, deep, fact providing conversations with some of you. So far, I think I'm just the type of fan who really enjoys just watching the Giants play and all the hype on game day. I try to follow things deeper, but just get lost. So I just REALLY enjoy watching the Giants play....seeing the tackles, touchdowns, screaming and clapping and going crazy when Big Blue stomps the competition ( I swear I'm their biggest cheerleader, everyone I know wants to watch games with me because I'm so amped, hyped, and vocal on game day).

So I guess I'm just wondering...is there anyone else on here like me? If not, what kind of fan are you?

Razur
08-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Laurah, there are many statisticians here...hugely knowledgeable..most are informative, some can be condescending..but also just die hards like me..who just love the team...hang in there...post what are comfortable with,..like I said..MOST people are pretty cool and will respond to the level the post appropriately. Enjoy the season !!!! GO GIANTS!

Razur
08-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Oh..so i don't mislead..I AM JUST A FAN !

NJBLUE
08-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm the fan who defends the team tp the death and wears the team colors all year around but could not explain what a 3/4, a tampa two defence, or what a spread offense is if my mother's life depended on it!

fansince69
08-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Everyone starts somewhere and you do not have to know stats and players numbers to enjoy and root..........if you want to learn....just talk to me and ignore the rest of these guys(smiles)seriously...feel free to jump in and ask questions...if not just root for the greatest team there is

GO GIANTS

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
You have to naturally develop as a football fan. It's not a process that you should rush. As you spend more time watching this game, your eyes and ears will start to peel the outer layers of the game and then you will really dive into the core of this fantastic sport. You'll start to wonder what all the verbage means when it's thrown around.

"What's an option route? Wait, what's a route??"

"Get to the second level? What's that?"

"What are the differences between man and zone coverages?"

When your mind is overwhelmed by these questions and your curiosity reaches the highest peak, you will research all of these different terms and that is when your evolution will be complete.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Alot of the posts on here make me feel somewhat intimidated. So many of you know so much technical stuff about the game, but not me. I'm learning that I may be the type of fan who never knows all the players stats, yards, and all that technical stuff. I wish I did sometimes though, so I could have real, deep, fact providing conversations with some of you. So far, I think I'm just the type of fan who really enjoys just watching the Giants play and all the hype on game day. I try to follow things deeper, but just get lost. So I just REALLY enjoy watching the Giants play....seeing the tackles, touchdowns, screaming and clapping and going crazy when Big Blue stomps the competition ( I swear I'm their biggest cheerleader, everyone I know wants to watch games with me because I'm so amped, hyped, and vocal on game day).

So I guess I'm just wondering...is there anyone else on here like me? If not, what kind of fan are you?Earlier you quoted yourself as a huge Giants xxxx, so are you the biggest cheerleader or the other? Maybe thats why everyone wants to watch the game with you? LOL. Anyways you dont have to be a huge fan of stats or plays to have a conversation or just put your 2 cents in. There are plenty of threads after game day that just ask what you think. With time, you will learn the terminology and such, or just ask someone what they mean by it and I am sure they will break it down to laymans terms. (Most will anyways).

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Earlier you quoted yourself as a huge Giants *****, so are you the biggest cheerleader or the other? Maybe thats why everyone wants to watch the game with you? LOL. Anyways you dont have to be a huge fan of stats or plays to have a conversation or just put your 2 cents in. There are plenty of threads after game day that just ask what you think. With time, you will learn the terminology and such, or just ask someone what they mean by it and I am sure they will break it down to laymans terms. (Most will anyways).

Ahh, I can already tell your a special kind of Giants fan FIFTY6G_MAN, thanx for the info (and I'm both by the way) ;)

Ntegrase96
08-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Ahh, I can already tell your a special kind of Giants fan FIFTY6G_MAN, thanx for the info (and I'm both by the way) ;)

Cowboys fan!

Sorry, probably not what you were looking for. I'm insanely bored at work as I am most days before 5:30 CST.

Anyway, you remind me of my girlfriend-- only she's not a giants fan, of course. She only started really watching football about a year ago, but has caught on quite quickly.

You probably know more than you realize and the rest will come in time.

Most people here played football (I assume) and have followed football for years so don't be intimidated. It takes time to learn the ins and outs, but being a member of these boards well expedite things. Very knowledgeable people here.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Cowboys fan!

Sorry, probably not what you were looking for. I'm insanely bored at work as I am most days before 5:30 CST.

Anyway, you remind me of my girlfriend-- only she's not a giants fan, of course. She only started really watching football about a year ago, but has caught on quite quickly.

Most people here played football (I assume) and have followed football for years so don't be intimidated. It takes time to learn the ins and outs, but being a member of these boards well expedite things. Very knowledgeable people here.Damn Ntegrase96, are you trying to convert our newborn Giants fan with sweet talk? But thank you for the compliments about our fanbase on here. The majority on here are very knowledgeable, while Rodgers12 is just a troll, BTW laurah1275, DONT FEED TROLLS!!!

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Cowboys fan!

Ha ha ha, no Cowboys fan here...I love NY Giants and can't wait to see Romo throw touchdown passes to Cruz!

Most people here played football (I assume) and have followed football for years so don't be intimidated. It takes time to learn the ins and outs, but being a member of these boards well expedite things. Very knowledgeable people here. Ha ha ha, no Cowboys fan here...I love NY Giants and can't wait to see Romo throw touchdown passes to Cruz!

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Ha ha ha, no Cowboys fan here...I love NY Giants and can't wait to see Romo throw touchdown passes to Cruz!What the hell are you talking about Romo Throwing TD passes to Cruz?????? Now I am really wondering what scrips you are taking.

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 06:57 PM
What the hell are you talking about Romo Throwing TD passes to Cruz?????? Now I am really wondering what scrips you are taking.Ahhh FIFTY6G_MAN, I knew you were special...just a joke dude, even I know that no one has chemistry like Eli and Cruz. I think I'm gonna luv u most ;)

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Ahhh FIFTY6G_MAN, I knew you were special...just a joke dude, even I know that no one has chemistry like Eli and Cruz. I think I'm gonna luv u most ;)Even if you might love me the most, you will get roasted for comments like that for sure. And maybe I am special, but not that special since I have a dash and not an underscore in my name "FIFTY6G-MAN". LOL

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Even if you might love me the most, you will get roasted for comments like that for sure. And maybe I am special, but not that special since I have a dash and not an underscore in my name "FIFTY6G-MAN". LOLLOL, you are absolutely adorable ;)

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 07:28 PM
LOL, you are absolutely adorable ;)This is not a dating website.:p

Rudyy
08-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Fifty is crazy man haha.

It's cool, you'll adapt to the game the more you watch it.
If you asked me a few years ago what a slant and go route was, I'd be like UM..IT'S UH..POTATO. But because I've paid attention to the games, and watched interviews and what not, I've learned all sorts of plays and terminology. I'm still learning a lot more now.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Fifty is crazy man haha.

If you asked me a few years ago what a slant and go route was, I'd be like UM..IT'S UH..POTATO. But because I've paid attention to the games, and watched interviews and what not, I've learned all sorts of plays and terminology. I'm still learning a lot more now.Yeah rudy, ur still learning! Now you have a GF you can invite to the giants chat room on gamedays! Just dont talk about shopping or ******s.....(that includes HOMO..er I mean ROMO). LMAO

Beelzeboss
08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Loving the Big Blue is the only fan trait that matters to me, everything else is just personal preference.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Fifty is crazy man haha.

If you asked me a few years ago what a slant and go route was, I'd be like UM..IT'S UH..POTATO. But because I've paid attention to the games, and watched interviews and what not, I've learned all sorts of plays and terminology. I'm still learning a lot more now.BTW Nice address(location) Really???.....

zimonami
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
My wife hated football. Finally, the first year of the Meadowlands, '76, I took her to a home game. We were close enough that she got a good look at the players without their helmets and realized some of them were hunks... so, she found something to grab on to and became a Giants fan. She gradually came to understand the game and watching with her every Sunday, or going to the games, was extra fun. Take your time and enjoy it for whatever there is.

Kase-1
08-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Im no statician, we have enough number crunchers on here already. Im more of a technical aspects kind of guy, analyzing play between the tackles, and the simple stuff that many people overlook (myself included) after the 1st time I see the game.

Im also 'THAT GUY' at the bar on Giants Sundays going NUTS, obnoxiously loud and trying to get everyone else around him to be as loud as he is... Im also very gracious and will listen to any debate from any teams fan as long as your stance holds water

jomo
08-22-2012, 07:55 PM

So I guess I'm just wondering...is there anyone else on here like me? If not, what kind of fan are you?OK Laurah1275, here's the deal. Most of those people throwing around stats are just isolating a set of numbers that on the surface support their position.They often fall apart upon further review. They are nothing to be intimidated over. It doesn't make them more knowledgable or passionate fans. At the end of the day, what you see with your eyes and feel in your stomach is what distinguishes you as an astute fan. It really is no more complicated than that.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 07:57 PM
OK Laurah1275, here's the deal. Most of those people throwing around stats are just isolating a set of numbers that on the surface support their position.They often fall apart upon further review. They are nothing to be intimidated over. It doesn't make them more knowledgable or passionate fans. At the end of the day, what you see with your eyes and feel in your stomach is what distinguishes you as an astute fan. It really is no more complicated than that.

well said....numbers can be manipulated to support any argument

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 07:59 PM
well said....numbers can be manipulated to support any argumentnot if you know how to navigate the internet and then not fudge the numbers. Anyone on here can find a TRUE stat.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
I figured it out. Laurha is building here post count through us. Not even sure she is a G-men fan, as she stated she couldnt wait for Romo to throw TD passes to Cruz earlier in this thread.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 08:02 PM
not if you know how to navigate the internet and then not fudge the numbers. Anyone on here can find a TRUE stat.

you are missing the point....i am not saying mess with the numbers....I am saying people pick and choose the real numbers that support their position and will fail to mention those that do not...they are still factual numbers....just part of the story...stats do not lie but they can be misleading especially when taken out of context

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
you are missing the point....i am not saying mess with the numbers....I am saying people pick and choose the real numbers that support their position and will fail to mention those that do not...they are still factual numbers....just part of the story...stats do not lie but they can be misleading especially when taken out of contextI agree, thanks for the clarification.

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Statistics and watching games and tape should be used together. Is it really a pizza if there is cheese without sauce or vice versa? Yeah yeah...I know there's certain pizzas out there that don't use such things but they aren't the typical pizza.

Rudyy
08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah rudy, ur still learning! Now you have a GF you can invite to the giants chat room on gamedays! Just dont talk about shopping or ******s.....(that includes HOMO..er I mean ROMO). LMAO Heck yeah! we'll put the rest of you to shame with our knowledge of the game. (Because we are such pros) and LOL Romo sucks.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
statistics and watching games and tape should be used together. Is it really a pizza if there is cheese without sauce or vice versa? Yeah yeah...i know there's certain pizzas out there that don't use such things but they aren't the typical pizza.​garlic pizza, yummmm!

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Heck yeah! we'll put the rest of you to shame with our knowledge of the game. (Because we are such pros) and LOL Romo sucks.So even without cheerleaders we have a couple of "Pros" on here??? Sweet!

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
OK Laurah1275, here's the deal. Most of those people throwing around stats are just isolating a set of numbers that on the surface support their position.They often fall apart upon further review. They are nothing to be intimidated over. It doesn't make them more knowledgable or passionate fans. At the end of the day, what you see with your eyes and feel in your stomach is what distinguishes you as an astute fan. It really is no more complicated than that.Thank you jomo, VERY well said. I guess I am the most ASTUTE Giants fan ever ;)

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I figured it out. Laurha is building here post count through us. Not even sure she is a G-men fan, as she stated she couldnt wait for Romo to throw TD passes to Cruz earlier in this thread.Muahh! Definitely luv u most FIFTY ;)

jomo
08-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Thank you jomo, VERY well said. I guess I am the most ASTUTE Giants fan ever ;)There you go, now repeat after me: "Let's Go Giants clap, clap, clap, clap clap!"

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 09:01 PM
There you go, now repeat after me: "Let's Go Giants clap, clap, clap, clap clap!"Go ahead and egg her on fellas.

NYGiants1411
08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
If you are in fact a real fan, just know that the people on these boards are some of the most intelligent fans ever. It may say I'm new here but I've had an account on here since 2008 (which was linked to my old email, which got hacked and I couldn't reset my pass). I came on here in 2008 just like you. I was the guy that loved the team and the game but had no one to teach me more. In other words, I asked Madden on every play in Madden NFL haha. I lurked for a couple of months and learned alot. You'll pick up on the game quickly and feel free to ask questions!

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
This is getting creepy?

camouflage
08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Long time lurker on these boards.

Dont worry about what kind of fan you are OP. Just watch and you ll pick it up. I started out like you and gradually picked it up. Idk all the stats and all the trades and cap numbers. But I understand whats going on in the game. During the game I make decisions in my head that I feel coughlin should make and curse at the TV when he makes the exact opposite and it fails (of course hindsight is 20 20).

I ended up becoming a giants fan mainly cuz I hated the eagles. I hated the eagles cuz they were always on TV. Of course I was a little boy at the time and didnt understand that eagles were always on cuz they played the giants twice a year. Those ugly green uniforms and those stupid bird wing helmets God and donovan mcnabbs smirk made me wanna puke.............

In fact if I stop watching football (which could happen cuz I feel roger goodell is ruining the game) I will take my hatred for the eagles to my grave.

Anyway everyone has their reasons for liking the giants and football. And if you wanna become one of those "expert" fans do your research. Google what a 3-4 defense is, then google the tampa 2 etc. It is easy these days for a scrawny nerd who has and will never play at any level to become as knowledgeable and appreciative of the game as the players and coaches themselves.

Rudyy
08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
So even without cheerleaders we have a couple of "Pros" on here??? Sweet! You better be on the chat Friday.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-22-2012, 09:35 PM
You better be on the chat Friday.Me??? But of course.

Rudyy
08-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Me??? But of course. Great! You can't miss my in depth analysis.

BigBlue1971
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM

So I guess I'm just wondering...is there anyone else on here like me? If not, what kind of fan are you?

i am a die-hard Giants fan only team ive ever known. im not a stats guy at all cuz everything i need to know about Giants football comes practically from the knowlegeable posters and wealth of information on this board.

the board is a great place to be for fans! many posters visit the board on a daily basis. everyone drops by to see whats up with the G-Men cuz thats the most important thing here!

good luck and visit often.

thegiantsrule10
08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm a huge stats guy because i want to make sure that the whole team played good.

thegiantsrule10
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
never mind about good i want them to play great because we got the talent to play great football.

Moke
08-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Great! You can't miss my in depth analysis.

Yeah, those are the ****

:D :D :D

Rat_bastich
08-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Enjoy the game for what it is. If you are not too sure what announcers or people are talking about you have the greatest research tool at your hands with Google or any other search engine. Eventually, you'll pick up all the jargon and begin to understand what formations are, what each position does, clock management, why punters and kickers are not the same person and other things like that. It comes with time.

Me personally I like the game itself but also like to review stats. I like to know how things work (ie. front office draft boards, evaluation process, etc.) and like trivia as well.

Rudyy
08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Yeah, those are the ****

:D :D :D = Ok, It literally took like 10 minutes for me to respond back..It kept saying my message didn't have enough characters.

rainierjef
08-23-2012, 12:51 AM
get game rewind and get to work! you have alot of catching up to do. don't be scared of numbers and stats, while if used correctly they can be a strong foundation for any argument but most people don't use them correctly. a lot of egos on here including myself, but i've been toning down; just remember we all support the same team, and all want to see the giants win super bowl, we just have different opinion's of how to get there.

for example i believe that Osi is an integral part of our pas rush and is worth the money or extension until he has a couple ( back to back ) unsuccessful years.
others disagree with that and feel the money should be allocated differently to retain other younger player.

difference of opinion but same goal wins over losses.

stay away from harooni!

rainierjef
08-23-2012, 12:52 AM
what giants chat room are you guys talkin bout willis?

Rudyy
08-23-2012, 12:59 AM
what giants chat room are you guys talkin bout willis?http://www.giantschat.webs.com/

GMan-67
08-23-2012, 01:51 AM
just root for the BLUE !

now having said that, stats are available to everyone, just google 'em up !

rcrane
08-23-2012, 05:09 AM

I was like you back in 2003, and then i went to college with a bunch of eagles fans, and had to make deeper arguments against them. Most of these people who "know the stats" probably have to look them up still. Dont worry about knowing any of the technical ****, just enjoy watching the games and big blue!

tonyt830
08-23-2012, 05:50 AM

So I guess I'm just wondering...is there anyone else on here like me? If not, what kind of fan are you?I am a true Giants fan that will tell you how it is. If the Giants are stinking it up, I won't sugar coat it. If the Giants do well, I will say so and not go too overboard. There are some fans that feel the Giants can do no wrong and wear the blue colored glasses and will get mad at someone who makes a legitimate comment/concern/observation. Then there are some that are the opposite end of the spectrum, and feel the sky is falling when things don't go great every game or a player/position is hit with injury.

I guess you would say that I try to find a happy medium and not get too high or too low on the Giants. And I am willing to eat my crow when I am wrong.

As for stats and breaking down games/video etc., I am not too into that as much as others. But thats why I come on here and chat with other Giants fans. There are so many posters on the boards, that are very knowledgable when it comes to the stats/schemes/X's and O's.

I guess I am never too old to learn something new, and am grateful to have those fans/posters that share their knowledge. But most of all, I am grateful to be a fan of the NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS!!!!!

P.S. By the way Laurah1275, welcome to the boards!!!
I

SweetZombieJesus
08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Depth of knowledge comes with time. As you watch more and more games your knowledge will increase and you will go from simply watching a spectacle to understanding what they are doing and you will feel like you're watching a chess match.

That's one of the things I love about football, it works on so many different levels.

It is simultaneously a game of brutality and power; and a game of finesse and grace.

It is simultaneously a man-on-man physical contest; and a game of spatial and temporal chess match. The offense is almost always geared around deception and hiding what you really want to do (from the QB not looking directly where he wants to throw, to faking a run in a play action pass) in a single play to setting a defense up strategically over the course of a game with play selection or presenting a familiar look and then doing something different with it.

It's like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons; you can look at it and see cartoon characters or you can also look at it on a deeper level and it is brilliant satire and dark comedy -- and it works both ways. I certainly don't look at the game the same way I did when I started.

SweetZombieJesus
08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Ha ha ha, no Cowboys fan here...I love NY Giants and can't wait to see Romo throw touchdown passes to Cruz!

You mean Webster...

zimonami
08-23-2012, 09:06 PM
You mean Webster...
lol... didn't she mean Michael Irvine?
Surely Laura was being facetious.

Giantsfan241
08-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Are you even serious right now lol.

This needs an explanation now, if not he should be removed.