PDA

View Full Version : The OL is Terrible

ibbill
08-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Thereís really no other way to put it. Kareem McKenzieís decline was dramatic (he went from being one of the best RTs in the league to one of the worst) and as such heís no longer on the team. David Diehl is starting at that position in camp, the only problem being heís even worse. Itís amazing the Giants were able to win the Super Bowl with him at LT. The problems donít end there, though, with Chris Snee, David Baas, and Kevin Boothe combining for a -48.9 grade. Even William Beatty struggled in his first year starting and, to make matters worse, heís got back issues. Depth is also a concern with Sean Locklear the only experienced vet behind them.

Posted on http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/18/32-teams-in-32-days-new-york-giants/

TheAnalyst
08-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Yup. Which is why we were dead last in rushing last year.

Laurah1275
08-22-2012, 08:02 PM
There’s really no other way to put it. Kareem McKenzie’s decline was dramatic (he went from being one of the best RTs in the league to one of the worst) and as such he’s no longer on the team. David Diehl is starting at that position in camp, the only problem being he’s even worse. It’s amazing the Giants were able to win the Super Bowl with him at LT. The problems don’t end there, though, with Chris Snee, David Baas, and Kevin Boothe combining for a -48.9 grade. Even William Beatty struggled in his first year starting and, to make matters worse, he’s got back issues. Depth is also a concern with Sean Locklear the only experienced vet behind them.

Posted on http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/18/32-teams-in-32-days-new-york-giants/I hate posts like this but at the same time I'm grateful for them because they keep me in reality where the Giants OL is concerned. What do you think is the solution?

Kase-1
08-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Im more of a fan of the run game, so having thee worst run game in the NFL drives me crazy. We need to SERIOUSLY look at 2 new OTs in the draft this upcoming season.

giantsfan420
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
did u read the rest of the article. it was 5 reasons to be confident 5 reasons why not to be confident. OL is obvious.

but the article is well written. it recognizes things well, like kiwi to de in tollys role is addition by subtraction bc he graded poorly in pass coverage.

the OL will be able to protect eli, which gives us a good shot to win any game. if we can run block, we will have a dominant year imho.

giantsfan420
08-22-2012, 08:31 PM
elis play was ridic in the postseason with a plus 20 grade. if he can carry that level of play over to this reg season, we will win more than 10 games...read the article and not just that lil snippet that the OP oddly chose to focus on in such a well written article...almost as if a 'boys fan troll would do it

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
elis play was ridic in the postseason with a plus 20 grade. if he can carry that level of play over to this reg season, we will win more than 10 games...read the article and not just that lil snippet that the OP oddly chose to focus on in such a well written article...almost as if a 'boys fan troll would do it

It makes you wonder how Brady or Brees would grade out if they had an O-line like Eli, Rodgers, or Cutler. They've always been privileged to have phenomenal protection in their career.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
It makes you wonder how Brady or Brees would grade out if they had an O-line like Eli, Rodgers, or Cutler. They've always been privileged to have phenomenal protection in their career.

Cutler seems to get good protection except when they play the Giants.......the Giants seem to abuse that offense the last couple times they have played

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Let's regroup a little. The main problem with last year's OLine was the constant revolving door of the players. When they did have a five week span of time where they played the same positions, Eli went sackless (a franchise record). At the moment the only non-starter form last season looks like Will Beatty for whatever period of time and because we are still in the pre-season there is time to adjust when the games "don't count."

Let's wait and see how they play when the regular season starts. The coaching staff is all about improving the OLine's efficiency. I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

MattMeyerBud
08-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Im more of a fan of the run game, so having thee worst run game in the NFL drives me crazy. We need to SERIOUSLY look at 2 new OTs in the draft this upcoming season.

Beatty for president

Kase-1
08-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Beatty for presidentIm liking Beatty less and less each injury.... For the moment Ive pulled the Beatty Bandwagon into the station for a little while

If he doesnt come back with the fire of 1,000 suns then we MUST look at OTs in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Im liking Beatty less and less each injury.... For the moment Ive pulled the Beatty Bandwagon into the station for a little while

If he doesnt come back with the fire of 1,000 suns then we MUST look at OTs in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft

This. BPA only works if you're generally even between positions. The team is only as strong as its weakest link, and if our O-line can't do a thing for the run game and can't keep Eli upright, it's going to be a long season. I'm still going to trust Reese on this, but it's starting to look real shady from where I'm standing...

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Im liking Beatty less and less each injury.... For the moment Ive pulled the Beatty Bandwagon into the station for a little while

This. BPA only works if you're generally even between positions. The team is only as strong as its weakest link, and if our O-line can't do a thing for the run game and can't keep Eli upright, it's going to be a long season. I'm still going to trust Reese on this, but it's starting to look real shady from where I'm standing...

Let's put it this way: If we had reaches for some Tackles in the draft instead of taking Wilson and Randle, we could have something where DJ Ware could consistently produce under. Also, that would still be superfluous, since as o-linemen are generally not paid as much as wideouts or RB, we would have had enough cap space to give Jacobs the money he wanted, and with a rejuvenated o-line he would have been that old wrecking ball he was once known to be. Not to mention Eli would have all day to throw, in which he could even make Barden a half-decent receiver. I'm fine with the way it is (In Reese We Trust), but I want to see some o-linemen next draft.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Let's put it this way: If we had reaches for some Tackles in the draft instead of taking Wilson and Randle, we could have something where DJ Ware could consistently produce under. Also, that would still be superfluous, since as o-linemen are generally not paid as much as wideouts or RB, we would have had enough cap space to give Jacobs the money he wanted, and with a rejuvenated o-line he would have been that old wrecking ball he was once known to be. Not to mention Eli would have all day to throw, in which he could even make Barden a half-decent receiver. I'm fine with the way it is (In Reese We Trust), but I want to see some o-linemen next draft.

Funny...LT is normally one of the highest salary positions

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Funny...LT is normally one of the highest salary positions

Hmm... After looking at the Franchise Tag data and realizing how much came straight out of my ***, I'll defer to your judgment on that point. Still would have liked to see an improved O-line over position players though...

fansince69
08-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Hmm... After looking at the Franchise Tag data and realizing how much came straight out of my ***, I'll defer to your judgment on that point. Still would have liked to see an improved O-line over position players though...

Honestly I am very content with how the giant frony office builds a team....it also seems to me that every year us fans are very critical of some aspect of this team....and it seems like every year when the dust clears...they knew exactly what they were doing....

.IN REESE WE TRUST

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Honestly I am very content with how the giant frony office builds a team....it also seems to me that every year us fans are very critical of some aspect of this team....and it seems like every year when the dust clears...they knew exactly what they were doing....

.IN REESE WE TRUST

As I said in my first post, I'm not at the point of outright criticizing the front office for the decisions they've made. I'm just very worried that the position players we drafted will not be able to produce to their full potential if we can't ever win the game in the trenches...

jomo
08-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Yup. Which is why we were dead last in rushing last year.Maybe a horrendous OL is the key to winning the SB??

Sundown
08-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Lets see what the line does when it has time to work together, it might pan out to be decent. I do agree upgrades will be needed and Beatty needs to sit his as down and be 2nd string till he proves otherwise

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Lets see what the line does when it has time to work together, it might pan out to be decent. I do agree upgrades will be needed and Beatty needs to sit his as down and be 2nd string till he proves otherwise

It looked pretty horrible last week. Even Snee is finally showing his age as even he had trouble getting any push during the Jets game.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 09:16 PM
As I said in my first post, I'm not at the point of outright criticizing the front office for the decisions they've made. I'm just very worried that the position players we drafted will not be able to produce to their full potential if we can't ever win the game in the trenches...

My point is let's wait and see....normally the front office knows more than we do....they may very well know something about the ol that we don't...like our receivers last year...they knew we didn't need plax...or smith or any of the other hundred has beens that all the fans thought we had to have

Kase-1
08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
This. BPA only works if you're generally even between positions. The team is only as strong as its weakest link, and if our O-line can't do a thing for the run game and can't keep Eli upright, it's going to be a long season. I'm still going to trust Reese on this, but it's starting to look real shady from where I'm standing...When it come to run blocking last season we were TERRIBLE as well, but we got it done by having one of the NASTIEST pass games in the NFL.

Honestly Im a spoiled fan, I want us to be #1 in every category every year!!!

BPA is great, but the few holes that we have are HUGE

Kase-1
08-22-2012, 09:22 PM

I dont mind us having Wilson or Randle but I would RATHER us have a dominant OL in the pass AND run game. Right now we're pretty badass in pass protection, we keep Eli upright and he usually has a ton of time to throw, its just that we have SUCH an issue getting a push for a run.

BTW, 1st round OTs get a truckload of money

Toadofsteel
08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
BPA is great, but the few holes that we have are HUGE

This is a major factor. We're going to hit performance bottlenecks. Improving the OL even a tiny bit now will have drastic performance increases from our offense across the board, resulting in a really nasty unit that nobody would want to face. Point is, it wouldn't technically be a reach if you went down your charts a little for a good O-lineman next season. I'm still trusting Reese for now, but if he goes for position players again in 2013 i'm going to be scratching my head a bit...

TheAnalyst
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
When they did have a five week span of time where they played the same positions, Eli went sackless (a franchise record). .

RF, you really have to look deeper into it though. I thought the line did a great job as well during that streak, but not as great as the stats indicate. they had some backups in there, Petrus filling in for Snee and Boothe for Baas ect.Eli was forced to run for his life or throw the ball away early a buch during that time to avoid getting sacked, and sometimes killed. So for being backups, yeah, great job to fill in, but over all, we cant start those guys for a full season and expect them to carry the oline.

zimonami
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Maybe a horrendous OL is the key to winning the SB??

Sacrilege, Jomo... burn thee at the stake.
You know I considered this last SB win a big bonus in my waning years... because of how bad our run blocking was. You usually can't even get to The Show without a decent run game. Our OL is the worst we've had in 35-40 years and if we can get to the Supe again then it'll be on Eli, the WR's, and our D., and I'll thank our lucky stars, again. I'm praying they develop some chemistry, which takes a while for an OL, and create a crease here and there. We need backs with moves, and speed to the outside, and thankfully Bradshaw and Wilson (he'll eventually get his 10 carrie/game by end of year) have that. Jacobs was a waste with this line. Actually, last year he was reduced to looking like our ex, illustrious, Heisman Trophy winner. Mr.Ron Dayne.... Giant extraordinairre. lol

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
When they did have a five week span of time where they played the same positions, Eli went sackless (a franchise record).

Is that really a statement about the O-line having a good span of play not allowing those sacks or was the constant pressure still there but Eli managed to navigate his way into the pocket to avoid the sacks? How often did Eli get rid of the ball before the defender was able to take him down behind the LoS? Very few games did Eli have ample time to get his passes off before he was rushed into making a play.

fansince69
08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
RF, you really have to look deeper into it though. I thought the line did a great job as well during that streak, but not as great as the stats indicate. they had some backups in there, Petrus filling in for Snee and Boothe for Baas ect.Eli was forced to run for his life or throw the ball away early a buch during that time to avoid getting sacked, and sometimes killed. So for being backups, yeah, great job to fill in, but over all, we cant start those guys for a full season and expect them to carry the oline.

and even though the pass blocking was good...the run blocking still left lots to be desired

zimonami
08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
You know I considered this last SB win a big bonus in my waning years... because of how bad our run blocking was. You usually can't even get to The Show without a decent run game. Our OL is the worst we've had in 35-40 years and if we can get to the Supe again then it'll be on Eli, the WR's, and our D., and I'll thank our lucky stars, again. I'm praying they develop some chemistry, which takes a while for an OL, and create a crease here and there. We need backs with moves, and speed to the outside, and thankfully Bradshaw and Wilson (he'll eventually get his 10 carrie/game by end of year) have that. Jacobs was a waste with this line. Actually, last year he was reduced to looking like our ex, illustrious, Heisman Trophy winner. Mr.Ron Dayne.... Giant extraordinairre. lol

That's not quite fair to BJ. I do appreciate his effort last year... he was certainly better than Dayne (cough) ever was

jomo
08-22-2012, 09:44 PM
You know I considered this last SB win a big bonus in my waning years... because of how bad our run blocking was. You usually can't even get to The Show without a decent run game. Our OL is the worst we've had in 35-40 years and if we can get to the Supe again then it'll be on Eli, the WR's, and our D., and I'll thank our lucky stars, again. I'm praying they develop some chemistry, which takes a while for an OL, and create a crease here and there. We need backs with moves, and speed to the outside, and thankfully Bradshaw and Wilson (he'll eventually get his 10 carrie/game by end of year) have that. Jacobs was a waste with this line. Actually, last year he was reduced to looking like our ex, illustrious, Heisman Trophy winner. Mr.Ron Dayne.... Giant extraordinairre. lolYou do realize my Zimonami friend that since the SB I have been obsessing about our less than weak, less than competant, less than good, did I say poor offensive line? lol Call me the choir! We need quite a bit of help starting with 2 tackles.

CDN_G-FAN
08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
we really underestimated our old line.

we talked about what a force bradshaw was, and what a load Jacobs was, but in reality, when this line struggled, our running game didn't slow down, it flat out disappeared.

zimonami
08-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I watched the guys from our '86 OL develop, as the pieces filled in over 3-5 years. By the end of '85 you could see they had gelled, and developed a great chemistry. That line opened holes for Morris that were 10 feet wide. The '90 team had a good run blocking OL, and the '07 line was above average. And, most SB winners have had a good running game. That's why '11 was a bonus year... otally unexpected.
I don't think we can duplicate that. Too much pressure on the passing game and the defense. Hopefully these guys can find that chemistry in time to get us to the playoffs.

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Is that really a statement about the O-line having a good span of play not allowing those sacks or was the constant pressure still there but Eli managed to navigate his way into the pocket to avoid the sacks? How often did Eli get rid of the ball before the defender was able to take him down behind the LoS? Very few games did Eli have ample time to get his passes off before he was rushed into making a play.

It's a franchise record and I don't recall any teams giving us a pass last season. It's a team effort and Eli is the leader of the team.

My glass is always half full

RoanokeFan
08-22-2012, 10:21 PM
You do realize my Zimonami friend that since the SB I have been obsessing about our less than weak, less than competant, less than good, did I say poor offensive line? lol Call me the choir! We need quite a bit of help starting with 2 tackles.

We just signed Thomas

jomo
08-22-2012, 11:12 PM
We just signed ThomasMarcus Thomas the DT?

thegiantsrule10
08-22-2012, 11:22 PM
I hope the o-line does great because i want to get back to running the football so Eli wont have to much pressure on him no matter how clutch we all know he is, also so Bradshaw and Wilson could destroy opposing defenses which i think they will.

NorwoodBlue
08-22-2012, 11:34 PM
This the whiner thread of the preseason. How quickly you forget this line helped set Giants passing records. How quickly you forget that this line helped the Giants average well over 100 yds/game rushing during the playoff run. When this line finally had a stretch of consistent personnel, they played very well.

I'm ot a big fan of Baas; but the coaches seemed to be Ok with his play when he wasn't injured. Beatty is turning ito a disaster; but he can be replaced. I think that given a little time to solidify as a group our o-line will turn out to be a pretty good group. They're certainly a lot better than the Jets line.

TheEnigma
08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
It's a franchise record and I don't recall any teams giving us a pass last season. It's a team effort and Eli is the leader of the team.

My glass is always half full

Where did I say no one gave us a pass? My point though was that Sacks only go so far in analyzing things. Sometimes sacks happen because the QB holds on to the ball too long. Sometimes they don't happen because the QB escapes defenders. Other times it's because the linemen beat their guy at the point of attack. You are content with this statistic and that's completely fine. I prefer to take a deeper look into things. Thanks for the conversation as usual Ro.

thegiantsrule10
08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
They'll be better than last year i just feel it, look at 2009 our o-line sucked than in 2010 it was good again than in 2011 it sucked, as long as it can stay consistent we'll be good.

Buddy333
08-23-2012, 12:48 AM
When Eli said they need to get better don't think he didn't also mean the OL. Just because they won the Super Bowl doesn't mean they are fine at OL. They can't run and against a team like the 49ers they where lucky Eli is so durable.

Kase-1
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
we really underestimated our old line.

we talked about what a force bradshaw was, and what a load Jacobs was, but in reality, when this line struggled, our running game didn't slow down, it flat out disappeared.You hit the nail on the head my maple syrup loving friend

The key to a successful running game 99% of the time isnt the RBs its the O-Line

Hakeeeem88
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Yup. Which is why we were dead last in rushing last year.

I know it's just pre season but based on the last two games it doesn't look like it's going to be much better this year.

JesseJames
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Im more of a fan of the run game, so having thee worst run game in the NFL drives me crazy. We need to SERIOUSLY look at 2 new OTs in the draft this upcoming season.absolutely, drafting these projects in the 4th or 5th round and hoping for the best is showing up right now to be the wrong way to go, we need talent for this line and we need to draft high to get it...

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 06:00 PM
The sky is blue lol.

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Beatty for president

William Beatty has suspended his campaign due too voicebox issues, we don't know when he'll return.

giantsfan420
08-23-2012, 06:09 PM
bradshaw and wilson can create their own lanes with their stop and go running style. this OL is gonna surprise a lot of giants fans. we have always been an OL that pulls its G's and uses an assortment of techniques to create holes. we havent done that yet in the preseason, if we have, it hasnt been often. I think Snee and DD next to each other will be really good in the run game. I also think Lockler will give us more of a solid, consistent level of play.
Its all about how they gel. I would have preferred Beatty in there gelling with everyone, but we cant hold everything up bc he's injured. I'm telling you guys, don't overreact based on preseason. Eli has been what at 50% completion? we haven't seen our offense in full effect, not even close. I have liked how much Bennett just straight up blocking has helped tho so far. a couple of real nice run plays have been in large part due to a block he's made on the 2nd level. thats another thing, Bennett will help in the run blocking a lot...and again, i can't emphasize enough how well Wilson and Bradshaw can create for themselves. Wilson has like a 5 ypc avg behind 3rd string lines...they havent been opening up holes, its just running styles help.

Ntegrase96
08-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Let's regroup a little. The main problem with last year's OLine was the constant revolving door of the players. When they did have a five week span of time where they played the same positions, Eli went sackless (a franchise record).

When did this happen?

fansince69
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
When did this happen?

Middle of last season Ohara got hurt and so did beaty they shuffled the line around and poof

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Middle of last season Ohara got hurt and so did beaty they shuffled the line around and poof
Ohara wasn't on the team last season.

fansince69
08-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Ohara wasn't on the team last season.

your right i meant bass...my apologies

B&RWarrior
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
bradshaw and wilson can create their own lanes with their stop and go running style. this OL is gonna surprise a lot of giants fans. we have always been an OL that pulls its G's and uses an assortment of techniques to create holes. we havent done that yet in the preseason, if we have, it hasnt been often. I think Snee and DD next to each other will be really good in the run game. I also think Lockler will give us more of a solid, consistent level of play.
Its all about how they gel. I would have preferred Beatty in there gelling with everyone, but we cant hold everything up bc he's injured. I'm telling you guys, don't overreact based on preseason. Eli has been what at 50% completion? we haven't seen our offense in full effect, not even close. I have liked how much Bennett just straight up blocking has helped tho so far. a couple of real nice run plays have been in large part due to a block he's made on the 2nd level. thats another thing, Bennett will help in the run blocking a lot...and again, i can't emphasize enough how well Wilson and Bradshaw can create for themselves. Wilson has like a 5 ypc avg behind 3rd string lines...they havent been opening up holes, its just running styles help.

Bulldonkey! No running lanes, no running! I remember seeing AB cursing out the OL on many an occassion last year. Only one running back has had consistent success behind a poor OL- Barry Sanders.

David Wilson is NOT Barry Sanders. We need these boys to block.

fansince69
08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Bulldonkey! No running lanes, no running! I remember seeing AB cursing out the OL on many an occassion last year. Only one running back has had consistent success behind a poor OL- Barry Sanders.

David Wilson is NOT Barry Sanders. We need these boys to block.

Sanders probably had as many runs for negative yards as positive...but his positive were usually big gains

TheEnigma
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I wanna know what the deal with Petrus is. He should of secured a starting spot by now in his 3rd year or at least been a great competitor for the job until the regular season. He has the work ethic and desire...is he just not understanding how pass blocking works?

B&RWarrior
08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I wanna know what the deal with Petrus is. He should of secured a starting spot by now in his 3rd year or at least been a great competitor for the job until the regular season. He has the work ethic and desire...is he just not understanding how pass blocking works?

he doesn't possess the agility to block

TheEnigma
08-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Seems he is still struggling with blocking schemes and angles as well. It's ashame since he has more than enough strength to beat his guy.

GameTime
08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
WTF....thats like WR not being able to catch.
If he cant even block then why waste time with him at all.......

Ntegrase96
08-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Let me clarify. What I wanted to know is at what point did the Offensive Line not yield a sack for more than 5 straight games/weeks?

fansince69
08-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Let me clarify. What I wanted to know is at what point did the Offensive Line not yield a sack for more than 5 straight games/weeks?

Can't give you exact games....someone else might be able...but there was a 5 game stretch middle of last season no sacks.....roughly the 5 games before we lost 4 straight....don't quote me but I am thinking weeks 4-9...cardinals seahawks bills dolphins pats

nhpgiantsfan
08-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Maybe I missed something. Can you please share with us where you heard he has the work ethic. I try and read as many articles that I can and I have never seen one written about Petrus. He played about a minute last year and people on these boards think he is the savior. I just don't get it.

Buddy333
08-23-2012, 07:46 PM
The hype with Petrus is that at the time he went to the combine he set the record for the most reps of 225 lbs. on the bench press. So many would assume he works hard which I believe he does. Then when he had his chance to play in a regular season game he sprinted on the field and they highlighted it on the broadcast. Ever since then he has been a fan favorite.

Ntegrase96
08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Can't give you exact games....someone else might be able...but there was a 5 game stretch middle of last season no sacks.....roughly the 5 games before we lost 4 straight....don't quote me but I am thinking weeks 4-9...cardinals seahawks bills dolphins pats

Last year Eli only enjoyed 3 weeks in which he was not sacked. Against Buffalo, New England, and against Dallas the first time. None of those were consecutive weeks.

Possibly a different year?

TheEnigma
08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Maybe I missed something. Can you please share with us where you heard he has the work ethic. I try and read as many articles that I can and I have never seen one written about Petrus. He played about a minute last year and people on these boards think he is the savior. I just don't get it.

Just my personal interpretation on him. The way he carries himself in interviews and how he hustles to get on the field is what convinces me that he wants it. Like it was pointed out earlier, he just doesn't seem to have the agility for pass blocking or understand how the schemes work. He's a really great run blocker but he's too much of a liability in pass protection for him to start.

Buddy333
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
O'Hara did not play for the Giants last season.

TheEnigma
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Sacks are an overrated stat anyway. I'd rather my Oline give up 3 sacks and 10 total pressures than 0 sacks and 25 total pressures any day of the week.

RoanokeFan
08-23-2012, 07:54 PM
When did this happen?

My bad, it was 2010

http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/2011/01/31/new-york-giants-top-10-moments-of-2010-season-no-8-offensive-line-sets-franchise-record-with-5-straight-games-with-no-sacks-allowed/

giantsforce
08-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Sacks are an overrated stat anyway. I'd rather my Oline give up 3 sacks and 10 total pressures than 0 sacks and 25 total pressures any day of the week.I think the Giants O did a pretty good job, with the exception of the 49rs playoff game, protecting Eli. I think TC's first concern is protecting Eli considering that the salary cap does not allow us to go shopping for a new Oline. If they can protect Eli like last year, then we have a very good chance. That means the running game will be hurting again. But who knows? Wilson may open up his own running lanes. All we have to do is wait and see how things happen. The key to success though, is having everyone health when it counts.

giantsfan420
08-23-2012, 09:32 PM
ur thinking of 2010...not last season...

TheEnigma
08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I think the Giants O did a pretty good job, with the exception of the 49rs playoff game, protecting Eli. I think TC's first concern is protecting Eli considering that the salary cap does not allow us to go shopping for a new Oline. If they can protect Eli like last year, then we have a very good chance. That means the running game will be hurting again. But who knows? Wilson may open up his own running lanes. All we have to do is wait and see how things happen. The key to success though, is having everyone health when it counts.

A good amount of the O-line's perceived success had a lot to do with Eli's movement in the pocket. If you go back and watch him in the seasons before 2011, he either was like a statue or he ended up moving into the opposing rusher instead. The whole issue with the O-line is a cause and effect sort of deal. Not being able to create holes for the RB's forces us to become one-dimensional and in turn, causes us to pass the ball more often and end up with more negative plays on the O-line. If Wilson can be that guy to produce good yardage on the ground despite the O-line, it will make the rest of the offense look much better by forcing the defense into more packages featuring LBers and less DBs. Really hope we can see that in tomorrow's game.

RoanokeFan
08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Locklear at LT and Diehl at RT are getting good reviews.

GAME PREVIEW: BEARS @ GIANTS (http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5006)

Excverpt: "The Giants’ starting roster is mostly settled, the only quasi-question mark being left tackle. Will Beatty’s back problems have essentially handed the job to veteran Sean Locklear, who has been what the Giants need him to be, solid and professional.
The comfort level that David Diehl provides at right tackle continues to amaze. Has there been a more versatile Giants’ offensive lineman? Read more...

Tmurda1984
08-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I can't wait until Reese gets tired of Beatty, this guy might be better than Diehl at left tackle but that's not saying much. I would rather see Boothe play more center, because Im ready to give up on Baas. Locklear is a nightmare waiting to happen....The Redskins got more offensive line worries and they even decided not to bring Locklear back