PDA

View Full Version : Is Marvin Austin's Time With The Giants Coming To An End?

NYGiantsFan56
08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
This guy has not played football in over two years and is hurt again and there is no sign he will be back on the field shortly. Is the signing of Marcus Thomas a signal that the end of the Marvin Austin career with the NY Giants coming to an end? If he is cut it would be a shame. He was second round pick with so much hope and he cannot get on the field to prove his worth.

giantyankee1976
08-22-2012, 11:48 PM
i'd hope he get at least one to 2 more Seasons to pan out. look how long we kept Barden, Sintim or Sinorice ...

giantsfan420
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
no way is he cut. the injury is nothing they are jst being precautious. it is the preseason. i think beatty and austin will both be ready to go by week 1

DownWitJPP
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
coming to an end? he was just drafted last year and had an unfortunate injury where he tore his pectoral muscle. Yea he hasn't played in 2 full seasons, but the kid has crazy amount of potential, he gets after the QB better than any DT on the team (going off college tape) . We kept Sintim and Barden around for 3-4 years and they both have done nothing and are always injured, so why do u think we will cut a player after one season where they didn't even have OTA's, and barely a training camp?

Buddy333
08-23-2012, 12:41 AM
What is the word on him? Has he practiced? Is he playing his week?

BROADWAYSTORM
08-23-2012, 12:54 AM
I use the Clint Sintim Sinorice Moss rule of thumb. It takes 4 seasons before the Giants give up on a high pick. He was a second round pick, no way he is getting cut.

BROADWAYSTORM
08-23-2012, 12:55 AM
coming to an end? he was just drafted last year and had an unfortunate injury where he tore his pectoral muscle. Yea he hasn't played in 2 full seasons, but the kid has crazy amount of potential, he gets after the QB better than any DT on the team (going off college tape) . We kept Sintim and Barden around for 3-4 years and they both have done nothing and are always injured, so why do u think we will cut a player after one season where they didn't even have OTA's, and barely a training camp?

Because your average fan is dumb and stupid.

Giantslb66
08-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Not a chance!! Do you think a team that kept Clint Sintim around for years will cut a 2nd round pick in year 2?

GMan-67
08-23-2012, 02:22 AM
when did it begin?

ImElectric2
08-23-2012, 03:08 AM
Wow. Seriously?

Rat_bastich
08-23-2012, 04:27 AM
when did it begin?

Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. William Joseph to this point has had more starts.

BlueSanta
08-23-2012, 05:22 AM
On a similar note, I think it is time we gave up on that David Wilson project too.

He hasnt done much this preseason, time to cut our losses.

tonyt830
08-23-2012, 07:04 AM
On a similar note, I think it is time we gave up on that David Wilson project too.

He hasnt done much this preseason, time to cut our losses.BlueSanta, did you forget the red font?? LOL!! I did sense the sarcasm.

But I think Austin is safe for now. Like others have mentioned, its best to not rush him with his back issues now. I know it sucks that he has not played football in 2 years, but its too early to throw in the towel on him. But I do think the Marcus Thomas signing was a good one, especially with Canty still on the PUP, Rogers a question mark with the blood clot issue, and Austin's back acting up. Preparedness just in case!

GMENAGAIN
08-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Because your average fan is dumb and stupid.

Unlike you, huh?

NYGiantsFan56
08-23-2012, 08:15 AM
I am aware the Giants keep top picks around 3 or 4 years and Austin probably would be no different than Sintim, Barden and Moss, but the difference is he hasn't played football in over 2 years including his last year of college. He is good with a big upside but if he is not ready by regular season he's not worth keeping him as one of the 53 with all the talent we have. I guess the Giants will IR him if he wont be football ready. The Giants have to stop this keeping these guys 3 or 4 years before cutting them. Its a waste. Nobody they kept like this have ever panned out. With Reese so good at finding top talent every year its not worth keeping top picks if they don't pan out. Just my Opinion

Redeyejedi
08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I am aware the Giants keep top picks around 3 or 4 years and Austin probably would be no different than Sintim, Barden and Moss, but the difference is he hasn't played football in over 2 years including his last year of college. He is good with a big upside but if he is not ready by regular season he's not worth keeping him as one of the 53 with all the talent we have. I guess the Giants will IR him if he wont be football ready. The Giants have to stop this keeping these guys 3 or 4 years before cutting them. Its a waste. Nobody they kept like this have ever panned out. With Reese so good at finding top talent every year its not worth keeping top picks if they don't pan out. Just my OpinionTalent we have at the back of the roster is not close to Marvin Austin. Id rather roll the dice that he never plays then keep Justin Trattou or Greg Jones.Corey Webster was bad for almost 3 years should we of cut him?

NYGiantsFan56
08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Talent we have at the back of the roster is not close to Marvin Austin. Id rather roll the dice that he never plays then keep Justin Trattou or Greg Jones.Corey Webster was bad for almost 3 years should we of cut him?
Your point is well taken. Its that we have so much talent there are guys I am going to hate see get cut. like I said above if he is not ready at the final cuts I rather IR him then keep a spot for him. As good as he is if he never gets on the field it wont mean much.

MattMeyerBud
08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
This guy has not played football in over two years and is hurt again and there is no sign he will be back on the field shortly. Is the signing of Marcus Thomas a signal that the end of the Marvin Austin career with the NY Giants coming to an end? If he is cut it would be a shame. He was second round pick with so much hope and he cannot get on the field to prove his worth.

nope.......

BROADWAYSTORM
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Unlike you, huh?

Absolutely.

fansince69
08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I am aware the Giants keep top picks around 3 or 4 years and Austin probably would be no different than Sintim, Barden and Moss, but the difference is he hasn't played football in over 2 years including his last year of college. He is good with a big upside but if he is not ready by regular season he's not worth keeping him as one of the 53 with all the talent we have. I guess the Giants will IR him if he wont be football ready. The Giants have to stop this keeping these guys 3 or 4 years before cutting them. Its a waste. Nobody they kept like this have ever panned out. With Reese so good at finding top talent every year its not worth keeping top picks if they don't pan out. Just my Opinion

No one ever pans out......how about these...Hostetler drafted 84 never really took a snap till 90
wiiliam roberts sat on bench for 2-3 years before he played...same with eric moore....1st round pick
corey webster took 2-3 years same with amani toomer......these are just guys off top of my head that went on to have anywhere from productive to star like carrers after waiting 2-3 years to play or develop

DownWitJPP
08-23-2012, 05:29 PM

difference is he isn't a 3rd or 4th year player...he was a rookie last year that had an unfortunate injury.

BuffyBlueII
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Marvin Austin has great potential. We will keep him till he comes around and when does, I am confident he will make a valuable contribution to this team.

NYGiantsFan56
08-23-2012, 09:46 PM
No one ever pans out......how about these...Hostetler drafted 84 never really took a snap till 90
wiiliam roberts sat on bench for 2-3 years before he played...same with eric moore....1st round pick
corey webster took 2-3 years same with amani toomer......these are just guys off top of my head that went on to have anywhere from productive to star like carrers after waiting 2-3 years to play or develop
Need to get your facts straight. William Roberts started games his first year and in his second year he played in all 16 games, he evenually started all games in his 3rd or 4th year but from his 1st year he always played. Toomer played his1st year and started some games. same for 2nd and 3rd year where I believe he had 30-40 passes caught in those years. Same for Webster and Eric Moore also. They played even if they didn't start. Check their stats. Got to get your information straight. This guy Austin cannot get on the field due to injury. Don't know how things will turn out for Austin but you cannot compare him to the people your comparing him to because those people played in some form from day 1.

B-Red22
08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Ramses Barden is in his 4th year and has done nothing, this is Austins 2nd year and you asking if he will be gone?? COMMON MAN!!1

fansince69
08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Need to get your facts straight. William Roberts started games his first year and in his second year he played in all 16 games, he evenually started all games in his 3rd or 4th year but from his 1st year he always played. Toomer played his1st year and started some games. same for 2nd and 3rd year where I believe he had 30-40 passes caught in those years. Same for Webster and Eric Moore also. They played even if they didn't start. Check their stats. Got to get your information straight. This guy Austin cannot get on the field due to injury. Don't know how things will turn out for Austin but you cannot compare him to the people your comparing him to because those people played in some form from day 1.

first 3 yrs roberts was there he played spaingly in 84 nothing in 85 or 86 ...starting line was benson ard oates godfrey and nelson......he didnt play any significant role on offense till 87 when nelson went down with cancer.......moore was drafted same year as elliot ...jumbo played moore sat...waiting his turn.......toomer mainly was a punt returner first year and struggled for 3 years before he did much of anything.....webster was considered a bust by many till 2007...came out of no where during playoffs.....you are the one that should get his facts straight....and yes some of them were on the field but were hardly contributing.....austin is just starting his second year after being injured his first and your ready to give up on him...btw simms was hurt for mosrt of his first 3-4 years of his career too

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Godfrey)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Nelson)

NYGiantsFan56
08-24-2012, 01:24 AM
first 3 yrs roberts was there he played spaingly in 84 nothing in 85 or 86 ...starting line was benson ard oates godfrey and nelson......he didnt play any significant role on offense till 87 when nelson went down with cancer.......moore was drafted same year as elliot ...jumbo played moore sat...waiting his turn.......toomer mainly was a punt returner first year and struggled for 3 years before he did much of anything.....webster was considered a bust by many till 2007...came out of no where during playoffs.....you are the one that should get his facts straight....and yes some of them were on the field but were hardly contributing.....austin is just starting his second year after being injured his first and your ready to give up on him...btw simms was hurt for mosrt of his first 3-4 years of his career too

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Godfrey)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Nelson)

Not looking to get in a back and forth with you but you are wrong. Go google each guy statistics you mentioned and you will see that they all had significant playing time if they didn't start. You are dead wrong on Roberts and Toomer. I checked their statistics like you should. Second this post isn't about playing time. All it does is ask the question of how long do we hold on to a guy, no matter how good his upside is, which IMO is pretty good, who has not been on a football field for 3 years 1 college and now 2 professional? It will be Reese's call. I guess they will IR him at a minimum, because if he is not ready by Sept 5, no way Reese and Coughlin will hold a roster spot for him since he is now in his 3rd season since he played in a meaningful game..

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 01:34 AM
woa, he's missed football 2 years now. 1 suspended at UNC, and lst year.

He still was ranked on a lot of rank boards as a 1rst round talent. bc he missed the season we luckily got him in the 2nd. He tore his pec last year. those r not dentrimental to DL. Strah had that and came back fine.
Austin is still not in great condition. He does however have a wide array of effective moves to get after the QB. he uses his hands very well. Just bc he missed 2 yrs doesnt mean he isnt gonna be great. He has a ton of upside and he's just starting to scratch the surface, why would we let that go. Warren Sapp said Marvin Austin is Warren Sapp version 2 and how similar austin is to him.

we got to let him develop and give him the time. he has missed 2 yrs which means we shouldnt rush to cut him, esp with the ceiling he has. and he is so talented, that the coaches know they can still play him and he will give them quality snaps...no way should we even think about releasing him...next Sapp

NYGiantsFan56
08-24-2012, 01:41 AM
woa, he's missed football 2 years now. 1 suspended at UNC, and lst year.

He still was ranked on a lot of rank boards as a 1rst round talent. bc he missed the season we luckily got him in the 2nd. He tore his pec last year. those r not dentrimental to DL. Strah had that and came back fine.
Austin is still not in great condition. He does however have a wide array of effective moves to get after the QB. he uses his hands very well. Just bc he missed 2 yrs doesnt mean he isnt gonna be great. He has a ton of upside and he's just starting to scratch the surface, why would we let that go. Warren Sapp said Marvin Austin is Warren Sapp version 2 and how similar austin is to him.

we got to let him develop and give him the time. he has missed 2 yrs which means we shouldnt rush to cut him, esp with the ceiling he has. and he is so talented, that the coaches know they can still play him and he will give them quality snaps...no way should we even think about releasing him...next Sapp
Not looking to cut him but I wouldn't hold a roster spot for him if he can't play for the foreseeable future because of an injury. I guess the thing to do at that point is IR him if they dont think he can't play any time soon

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 01:46 AM
no way that would be moronic imo. i would hold his roster spot if he gets healthy by week 3. otherwise Id PUP him (if hes eligible). IR would be a horrible move with how talented he is and that he is gonna be ready soon. i believe h could be ready by week 1.

NYGiantsFan56
08-24-2012, 01:54 AM
no way that would be moronic imo. i would hold his roster spot if he gets healthy by week 3. otherwise Id PUP him (if hes eligible). IR would be a horrible move with how talented he is and that he is gonna be ready soon. i believe h could be ready by week 1.
Can't PUP him. Not eligible. He practiced during training camp. So you want to hold a roster spot for a guy who never played in a NFL game knowing the Giants are going to have to part with a talented player who can contribute now? Makes no sense. Like I said if he is not ready by the final cuts then the Giants will have to IR him if they still want him. There is no alternative. He can be a great player with all this potential but like I said if he cannot get on the field, whats the use of holding a spot?

fansince69
08-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Not looking to get in a back and forth with you but you are wrong. Go google each guy statistics you mentioned and you will see that they all had significant playing time if they didn't start. You are dead wrong on Roberts and Toomer. I checked their statistics like you should. Second this post isn't about playing time. All it does is ask the question of how long do we hold on to a guy, no matter how good his upside is, which IMO is pretty good, who has not been on a football field for 3 years 1 college and now 2 professional? It will be Reese's call. I guess they will IR him at a minimum, because if he is not ready by Sept 5, no way Reese and Coughlin will hold a roster spot for him since he is now in his 3rd season since he played in a meaningful game..

I really do not want to go back and forth on this either,but I did check the stats and I am not wrong about Roberts....he never played a game in 85( He is not even listed on the roster...maybe he was hurt) or 86( the only thing he did that year was dance with Pepper Johnson after the supper bowl in middle of the field....Honestly I remember it like it was yesterday cause I thought to myself....why are 2 guys that didnt even play being shown on tv like that)....and I told you who the stating line was that year all 16 games...they were known as the suburbanites...well known by any Giant fan...Roberts was not one of them...but

besides all that...Austin is starting his second season this year NOT his 3rd.I do agree that if Austin is not ready by start of season they need to decide.....if he is going to see time ON THE field this year.....if not and if they want to hold onto him for his potential they will have to IR him....if they think he might see some time on the field ,they keep him on the 53....this is one of those that I am glad I do not have to make.

Btw as far as Toomer...you can show me stats...yes I know he caught a ball in his first year and 16 in his second....hardly setting the world on fire....maybe it is personal opinion( shared by may giant fans)I do not consider him a contributing receiver(in fact he was pretty disappointing for a high draft pick) till his 4th year

GameTime
08-24-2012, 09:51 AM
his time IS coming to an end...
just not this season......

MattMeyerBud
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
his time IS coming to an end...
just not this season......

thats deep man