PDA

View Full Version : A New York Giant Repeat?

Antwuan
08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Do You Think The Giants Can Repeat This Season?

Do You Like The Giants Chances Of Repeating As Superbowl Champions?

miked1958
08-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes I think they can repeat. However in any other season I would like their chances. Being the we have to play AFC foes Pittsburgh, Baltimore, up and coming Cincinnati and NFC foes Saints, falcons, TB, up and coming Carolina, GB, SF, 6 tough games vs NFCE teams I'd say odds our stacked against us. It's hard enough to repeat for any team in any given year even with a modest schedule. And we happen to have the hardest of the hard schedules.

woocrew
08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes I think they can repeat. However in any other season I would like their chances. Being the we have to play AFC foes Pittsburgh, Baltimore, up and coming Cincinnati and NFC foes Saints, falcons, TB, up and coming Carolina, GB, SF, 6 tough games vs NFCE teams I'd say odds our stacked against us. It's hard enough to repeat for any team in any given year even with a modest schedule. And we happen to have the hardest of the hard schedules. I agree with miked1958 its tough for any team to repeat and the Giants have a really tough schedule but are they good enough YES crazy things happen during the course of a football season

Moke
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Please don't flatter us! :D

SweetZombieJesus
08-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I think they CAN but it's very difficult to do so.

I would love to see it, it's just about the only tick-mark the Giants don't have on their championship resume. Even the Eagles have gone back-to-back.

Every past chance (at least in the SB era) has been marred by circumstances.

1987 - Strike season
1991 - Bill Parcells quit after rookie mini camp
2008 - Plaxico Burress shoots himself at 11-1 and the team goes 1-4 after that.

JimC
08-23-2012, 06:36 AM

I would love to see it, it's just about the only tick-mark the Giants don't have on their championship resume. Even the Eagles have gone back-to-back.

1987 - Strike season
2008 - Plaxico Burress shoots himself at 11-1 and the team goes 1-4 after that.

Are you talking 1948 & 1949 for the Eagles back-to-back championships????? Come-on man..

miked1958
08-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Are you talking 1948 & 1949 for the Eagles back-to-back championships????? Come-on man..yep he is. however they did do it. we didnt with our 4 championships. we had plenty of opportunity but mostly lost our championship games. I dont know exact number but i think we were like 4-9 or 4-10 in Title games prior to SB era.

Also correct me if I am wrong. Were we awarded a Title prior to their being any type of playoffs? and we dont claim it just because we came in first place in the standings. Remember reading it but dont remember if it was Giants related or if i was reading it after Alabama won their 14th National Title. I read it awhile back. lol. getting old i guess.

miked1958
08-23-2012, 08:42 AM

1987 - Strike season
2008 - Plaxico Burress shoots himself at 11-1 and the team goes 1-4 after that.With the REALLY tough schedule this season if we did do it we would kill two birds with 1 stone. We would take that TICK off our record and go back to back and come into ELITE company..(only GB, NE, Steelers, SF, & maybe Dallas has done it and some of them twice) we would also have to check back and see in the seasons those teams repeated what type of schedule they had. I would venture to say if we repeat it would go down as the hardest feat of any of the previous ones to do it because of our schedule being so difficult.

Snappinnecks
08-23-2012, 08:42 AM
If we stay healthy. HELL YES!

RagTime Blue
08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm so sick of this "Tough Schedule" talk. All of those teams mentioned have to play against the Super Bowl Champs!! Sucks to be them.

And we won the division at 9-7 last year. You people are saying we can't make the playoffs because we have games against a few teams that look good on paper NOW?

Repeating is difficult. . .always very difficult, don't get me wrong. But our chances are as good as anyone's. Nothing's stacked against us.

BlueMetal 40
08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Yes I think they can repeat. However in any other season I would like their chances. Being the we have to play AFC foes Pittsburgh, Baltimore, up and coming Cincinnati and NFC foes Saints, falcons, TB, up and coming Carolina, GB, SF, 6 tough games vs NFCE teams I'd say odds our stacked against us. It's hard enough to repeat for any team in any given year even with a modest schedule. And we happen to have the hardest of the hard schedules.

At first glance, this seems the most logical argument. But lets keep in mind that OUR entire division also has to play the same teams we do this year, with the exception of 2. While we get saddled with GB and SF, PHI, DAL & WAS get the easier teams from those divisions. All in all, if we only keep pace with our division rivals (.500 in division games) as well as beating the teams that they beat in the AFC North and NFC South divisions, we only need worry about winning the GB and SF games, and we know from last year they are both beatable.
It just doesn't seem as insurmountable from that point of view. I think we can do it, top of the division, here we come!!

SweetZombieJesus
08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Are you talking 1948 & 1949 for the Eagles back-to-back championships????? Come-on man..

Still something the Giants haven't done and they've been around since 1925

SweetZombieJesus
08-23-2012, 09:01 AM
yep he is. however they did do it. we didnt with our 4 championships. we had plenty of opportunity but mostly lost our championship games. I dont know exact number but i think we were like 4-9 or 4-10 in Title games prior to SB era.

Also correct me if I am wrong. Were we awarded a Title prior to their being any type of playoffs? and we dont claim it just because we came in first place in the standings. Remember reading it but dont remember if it was Giants related or if i was reading it after Alabama won their 14th National Title. I read it awhile back. lol. getting old i guess.

Before 1933 you won the NFL title by standing (best winning percentage, teams did not play balanced schedules). The Giants' first title in 1927 was won this way. They had to win their final game to win the championship so in a way it was a playoff game.

Following are the years in which the Giants played in a championship game, bolded years are wins.

1933 1934 1935 1938 1939
1941 1943 1944 1946
1950 1956 1958 1959
1961 1962 1963
2000 2007

The golden era is 1956-1963, 6 championship games in 8 years. A dynasty that could have been :(

Overall we are 3-13 in the pre-SB era :(:(

In the Super Bowl era, teams that have gone back to back:

- Packers (Lombardi)
- Dolphins (Shula)
- Steelers (Knoll, 2x)
- 49ers (Walsh)
- Cowboys (Johnson)
- Broncos (Shanahan)
- Patriots (Belichick)

Rare but not impossible, 1.5 times a decade it happens.

Only the Packers have won 3 championships in a row, and they've done it twice. Lombardi won the last NFL championship and the first two Super Bowls. Nobody has won 3 Super Bowls in a row.

GameTime
08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
history shows the odds are against them heavily.
Do they have the talent and ability to repeat?......Yes they do.
Will they?......Probably not.

Hakeeeem88
08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
It's not easy to even get back to the super bowl let alone win it back to back. That being said I think there an elite team and have a good shot at getting back you can’t ask for much more then that.