PDA

View Full Version : Players want more "swag" from Prince.

njsean
08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/23/giants-want-amukamara-to-show-more-swag-on-the-field/

“You’ve got me and Terrell (Thomas), and we’re going to keep beating it into him,” Webster said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “And (safeties Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips), those guys came from Miami and they had it there. So we’re going to keep on driving it in. He could use a little bit (of an edge) from us. He’s taking it in and he’s going to put it into his game. And I think it’s working for him.”

Not well enough to avoid a trip into the tub, it would seem.

You can display that confidence quietly without losing any effectiveness, though. Swag conjures up images of Deion Sanders dancing his way down the field, an image that Amukamara certainly doesn’t fit. Neither do plenty of other cornerbacks who have played at a high level in the NFL, for that matter.

I personally prefer the Eli on field persona over the Rolle one, but that's me.

EJ Blue
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Swag is part of a person's personality (and currently a stupid fad).

I don't think he needs to change his personality to become an effective cornerback. He was recognized as one of the best CBs in his class without having.... swag. He just needs to get comfortable.

BlueJayC
08-23-2012, 01:07 PM

I don't think he needs to change his personality to become an effective cornerback. He was recognized as one of the best CBs in his class without having.... swag. He just needs to get comfortable.

They're right about one thing......it's part of where you went to school......Nebraska is all class and doesn't tolerate "swwwaaaagggg" where other programs do.

njsean
08-23-2012, 01:07 PM
He just needs to get comfortable.

Know the easiest way to do that? Leave the kid alone. Quick, someone needs to yell it into a camera and post it on youtube!

TheAnalyst
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwOBUKI7xz1J6C0Ejx2CZTQS5DixPme XMzP-9OQL6dssC9F7Lujw
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRSL28-Pgf6K4e0hJ083s2biGGimFhX2h8LKELNmvWQermSZN8HQ

Jahh
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
While he's not vocal and confident sounding, prince is pretty good in support on the run game. It takes a tough corner to really get off blocks and stick his nose in there.

njsean
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
While he's not vocal and confident sounding, prince is pretty good in support on the run game. It takes a tough corner to really get off blocks and stick his nose in there.

Agreed. I'd rather Prince be more reserved and tough as nails when he's making a tackle, then be a showboat with false bravado that shies away from tackles like Deion.

TheAnalyst
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Could you imagine Eli acting like Phillip Rivers? I cant. And it wouldnt make him better. Prince is humble. Let him be.

Jahh
08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Could you imagine Eli acting like Phillip Rivers? I cant. And it wouldnt make him better. Prince is humble. Let him be.

I agree. You can't make a player something they aren't. Being him got him where he is.

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
No swag? Cut him, he sucks!

BuffyBlueII
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
You know what I would like to see. I would have liked to see one of these guys give Mark Bavarro mess about not having swag and trying to throw him in a tub. I doubt any of them would ever try it with Eli Manning either. A joke is a joke and hazing goes on all the time but like I used to tell me teammates that would carried away and continually pick on one person is to not be surprised if he gets pushed too much one day and splits your head open with a hammer.Prince made his bones by the way he showed up and oerformed for us in the postaeason, he will get better. His personality is his his personality and he will be fine. I much prefer Eli Mannings way of carrying himself a lot more than Antrelle Rolles.

BeatYale
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
You know what I would like to see. I would have liked to see one of these guys give Mark Bavarro mess about not having swag and trying to throw him in a tub. I doubt any of them would ever try it with Eli Manning either. A joke is a joke and hazing goes on all the time but like I used to tell me teammates that would carried away and continually pick on one person is to not be surprised if he gets pushed too much one day and splits your head open with a hammer.Prince made his bones by the way he showed up and oerformed for us in the postaeason, he will get better. His personality is his his personality and he will be fine. I much prefer Eli Mannings way of carrying himself a lot more than Antrelle Rolles.

Good post.

njsean
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Surely there's a DB joke to be made.

Wordplay swag.

Rod-Diggity
08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
they prolly want him to trash talk more and be more gritty during press, and have more comfidence in his game. I think he had some of it in nebraska until he got abused in that osu game against justin blackmon, that's what prolly humbled him more, sometimes a bad experience will do that to you. So I guess he just goes about his business more quiet and humble nowadays which is cool as long as he makes plays

Medisleman
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Eli has his own kind of "Swag". It is quiet, you think I look dumb, but I will pick your defense apart in the 4th quarter to beat your *** kind of "swag". Prince needs to develop the right kind of "swag" for his personality which hopefully is the I'll speak softly but pick off/break up your passes all day long kind of "swag".

Gimaniac
08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Aaron Ross had swag. It only seemed to help after the play was over.

Napstew
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
All this talk about "swag" is rather comical, especially considering some that are complaining about Prince lacking it . Let him go about his business the way he wants to. Nothing wrong with not being the rowdy type and minding your own business. As long as he is doing what he is supposed to do on the field, that should be the only concern.

Hakeeeem88
08-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't care if he has swag or not I just want him to play better.

Sundown
08-23-2012, 03:03 PM
This stems from his up bringing, be humble and polite. That's how most Africans are raised. Prince will have a silent confidence once he gets more experience.

TheAnalyst
08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
SWAG

Eagles have a bunch of this with Vick, McCoy, Desean, Asamugha, and nothing to show for it.

nycisgreat
08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/23/giants-want-amukamara-to-show-more-swag-on-the-field/

I personally prefer the Eli on field persona over the Rolle one, but that's me.

There is a time a place for everything. You say that now, but there were many people during the earlier stage of Eli's career people (I included) used to say crazy things about Eli for his quiet nature in big spot. I learn my lesson time and time again. We are all different, and people just have to accept it. We would be a bland society if we were all the same.

I am fine with wishing for people to be a different that is the person opinion, but I don't think dunking someone in a cold tub is going to change their swag or there mind. I think it pushes a person further away from the accusers ideology.

GameTime
08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
swag doesnt equal toughness, talent, or anything else a football player really needs.
A great football plays has swag because he is great and NOT the other way around.....

Moke
08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Then you basically have to throw him into a tub

Razur
08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
They're right about one thing......it's part of where you went to school......Nebraska is all class and doesn't tolerate "swwwaaaagggg" where other programs do.
Problem is..he isn't in nebraska...he's in NY....Prince is definately a different breed of CB...maybe a little too cerebral...I think the giants want him to play more like Superman, than Clark Kent...same guy...they just want to see his animal side

nygmen90
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
SWAG

Eagles have a bunch of this with Vick, McCoy, Desean, Asamugha, and nothing to show for it.

Great point maybe DRC instead of Aso though...

Buddy333
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
He needs to stay healthy and get reps. That is how he will get an edge. At least that's how TC feels about it.

jakegibbs
08-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Swag if he wan't swag just go home & put on your SB ring kid. Heck 80% of the league players don't have one of those big rings yet. You got the bling you don't need the swag. Come-on-man!!!

B&RWarrior
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Yes, yes, yes Lawrence Phillips is a perfect example of the class you speak of. Even better that class was displayed as the "classy" coach Osborne lifted Phillips suspension just a few months after he had put that girls head through a mailbox, just in time for the Orange Bowl. The lesson taught is that winning is everything and ethics is nothing- go Cornhsukers!

Gimme a friggin' break. Nebraska is no different from any other Division 1 school. Winning is everything b/c it brings in MONEY!

B&RWarrior
08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Problem is..he isn't in nebraska...he's in NY....Prince is definately a different breed of CB...maybe a little too cerebral...I think the giants want him to play more like Superman, than Clark Kent...same guy...they just want to see his animal side

The guy dropped in the draft for a reason. Let's hope that he can learn technique to sure up the holes in his game that caused the drop in his draft stock. Athletes in general have swag. The less he get's burnt the more swag he'll have. The school you attend has no bearing on your level of swag. Marcellus Wiley went to Columbia and he had more than little swag when he was playing.

pthere55
08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I don’t know if it is necessarily swag but Prince seems really timid.