PDA

View Full Version : ???????

Laurah1275
08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok, how strict are the rules in an NFL game, cuz I'm trying to understand interference in games and came across this on NFL website: No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.

WHAT??? Why would an opposing team just LET someone catch the ball without at least trying to stop him?

Rudyy
08-23-2012, 05:11 PM
You can't interfere with the receiver trying to catch the ball ( pulling his hands down, etc)

NWGiant
08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
This rule is specific to punts and kick-offs. Very much a safety concern as the receiver is looking up at the ball and is defenseless against a defender.

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
First off that is for fair catch interference, you can't run into a person trying to fair catch the ball, knock the ball away, etc.

Pass (Defensive and Offensive) interference is when you grab, hold, essentially interfere with the offensive player or defensive player when he is trying to make a play on the ball. Once somebody touches the ball you can then hit them, knock the ball away, etc.
If you commit pass interference on defense, the offense gets the ball at the spot of the foul. Offensive pass interference is either 5 or 15 yards and loss of down I believe

Laurah1275
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
You can't interfere with the receiver trying to catch the ball ( pulling his hands down, etc)So you can't interfere with someone who's trying to catch the ball, but once the ball is thrown, the opposing team can swat it down if they can?

NWGiant
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Correct, until the ball is to the receiver, on offense, the defender can play the ball only and can not interfere with the receiver. The rule you put in the original post has to do with punts and kick-offs though.

Rudyy
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
So you can't interfere with someone who's trying to catch the ball, but once the ball is thrown, the opposing team can swat it down if they can? Once the ball is thrown, you still cannot pull his hands/body/Jersey down, that's still interfering with the receiver trying to catch it. However, you are allowed to swat it, and of course intercept it. You just can't restrict the receiver.

NWGiant
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Also, the penalty for pass interference is a spot foul meaning the ball is place at the spot of the foul rather than a 15 yard penalty (which is for punts/kick-offs). There is also offensive pass interference if the defender has established position for the ball and the offensive player interferes before the ball is there, this I beleive is a 5 yard penalty against the offense (some one feel free to correst me there).

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I think we may have opened Pandoras' Box with this new member.:lmao:

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
It is very complicated you need at least a PhD in economic studies to understand the rules of a game.

fansince69
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
It is very complicated you need at least a PhD in economic studies to understand the rules of a game.

And they change yearly

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
And they change yearly
Not with this nflpa they don't lol.

fansince69
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Not with this nflpa they don't lol.

Is that suppose to be in red?cause they change several rules every year

Giantsfan241
08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Is that suppose to be in red?cause they change several rules every year
they just blocked the ir and trade deadline rules.

Laurah1275
08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Thank you guys so much, I'm really starting to understand. With my internet research and all of your input, I'm loving the game more and more. Special thanx to you Fifty....your two cents is always so witty and informative. ;)

fansince69
08-23-2012, 06:05 PM
they just blocked the ir and trade deadline rules.

Those are roster front office rules....I was more referring to rules on the field

Imgrate
08-23-2012, 06:26 PM
There's some weird people out there.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Thank you guys so much, I'm really starting to understand. With my internet research and all of your input, I'm loving the game more and more. Special thanx to you Fifty....your two cents is always so witty and informative. ;)COME ON, MAN! I need to get a few jabs in now and then.

Moke
08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh god noww.......

Laurah1275
08-23-2012, 06:46 PM
COME ON, MAN! I need to get a few jabs in now and then.LOL, it's all good, I still luv u most Fifty...although I must admit Giantsfan 241 and Moke are giving you a run for the money. ;)

RoanokeFan
08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
So you can't interfere with someone who's trying to catch the ball, but once the ball is thrown, the opposing team can swat it down if they can?

The ball isn't "thrown", it's kicked or punted. The player assigned to catch the punt or kick has the option of "signaling" a fair catch. No opposing player can physically interfere with him catching the ball once he clearly makes the signal. If there is no fair catch signal the player catching the punt or kick must be allowed to field the ball before contact by an opposing player is made UNLESS the opposing player is blocked into the catcher by a member of the catcher's team.

giantsandyanks1
08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I remember the giants running a football 101 class at the stadium not sure if they still do

bigblue58
08-23-2012, 11:51 PM
So you can't interfere with someone who's trying to catch the ball, but once the ball is thrown, the opposing team can swat it down if they can?

Let me try and expalin it simply:
A defender can only put his hands on a receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, then he has to disengage or be flagged for illegal contact.
When a defender is defending a pass, any contact with the receiver WITH THE DEFENDER'S BACK TO THE BALL or AWAY FROM THE PLAY on the opposite side of the field.... is illegal and will get a flag.
The defender is allowed to go for the ball too, so he 's allowed to make contact with the receiver AS LONG AS THE DEFENDER IS GOING FOR THE BALL...then there is no foul.
Then there is INCIDENTAL contact which is also NOT a foul if in the official's judgement, contact such as tripping, etc was inadvertant and accidental.

You know...you don't realize just how involved this game is until you try to explain the rules to someone! That happened to me with an Indian fellow on the bus who wanted me to explain American football to him. There were a thousand things to explain just for the kickoff alone!

Giantsfan241
08-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Another rule you should pick up is that our wr's are not on the field at the same time the opposing qb is.

Rat_bastich
08-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Let me try and expalin it simply:
A defender can only put his hands on a receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, then he has to disengage or be flagged for illegal contact.
When a defender is defending a pass, any contact with the receiver WITH THE DEFENDER'S BACK TO THE BALL or AWAY FROM THE PLAY on the opposite side of the field.... is illegal and will get a flag.
The defender is allowed to go for the ball too, so he 's allowed to make contact with the receiver AS LONG AS THE DEFENDER IS GOING FOR THE BALL...then there is no foul.
Then there is INCIDENTAL contact which is also NOT a foul if in the official's judgement, contact such as tripping, etc was inadvertant and accidental.

You know...you don't realize just how involved this game is until you try to explain the rules to someone! That happened to me with an Indian fellow on the bus who wanted me to explain American football to him. There were a thousand things to explain just for the kickoff alone!

Also, a defender can have his hand touching the offensive player as long as he doesn't impede the offensive player, ie. latching on to his arm, turning the player, wrapping his arm around the waist or torso or keeping the player from raising his arm. However, once the player has the ball in his hands he is fair game. There are also incidences where both players are going for the ball and collide...this is incidental contact and not a penalty.

Here you go...pretty in depth:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Rat_bastich
08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Another rule you should pick up is that our wr's are not on the field at the same time the opposing qb is.

Unless they are like Cromartie...a DB and WR apparently in his mind.

Giantsfan241
08-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Unless they are like Cromartie...a DB and WR apparently in his mind.

I'm talking about her(him) saying that she can't wait until Romo passes TDs to Cruz.

Rat_bastich
08-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm talking about her(him) saying that she can't wait until Romo passes TDs to Cruz.

Ahhhhhhh....soooooooo!

Medisleman
08-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Wait till this new member's sees how inconsistent the referees are when calling pass interference. Laurah's head may explode.