PDA

View Full Version : Beckum

Bones911
08-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Do you guys think Beckum will take up a roster spot on the 53 man roster or be placed on PUP?

BigJ
08-23-2012, 09:39 PM
not sure but to be honest with u i forgot he was even on this team haha.

B-Red22
08-23-2012, 09:56 PM
atleast not for the first 6 weeks lol

Gimaniac
08-23-2012, 10:37 PM
They may put him on an injury list, but no way he makes the 53.

BlueSanta
08-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Even if he is healthy, I think he is done here. Who is he going to replace? It wont be Bennett who we signed this offseason and is our starter. It wont be Pascoe because he is a utility guy and the backup FB. It is also unlikely it will be Robinson because he was just drafted in the 4th round. We wont keep 4 TEs.

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 12:21 AM
since ballard is gone i honestly do believe he will be re-signed. he was carving out a nice niche for himself during the streak last season. we were actually getting him involved and trying to use him to exploit the defense. Bennett is the only legit, dangerous target at TE. Robinson will be good, just not ready yet. And Pascoe offers versatility, not skill. Altho I do respect Bear/ Beckum just will give us a needed dimension that we could use. and i also think he will be ready before week 6 so i dont think he gets pup'd either

BlueSanta
08-24-2012, 02:34 AM
since ballard is gone i honestly do believe he will be re-signed. he was carving out a nice niche for himself during the streak last season. we were actually getting him involved and trying to use him to exploit the defense. Bennett is the only legit, dangerous target at TE. Robinson will be good, just not ready yet. And Pascoe offers versatility, not skill. Altho I do respect Bear/ Beckum just will give us a needed dimension that we could use. and i also think he will be ready before week 6 so i dont think he gets pup'd either

Here is the problem with Beckum, and I have been saying this for some time. We all know he is not an end line TE. He plays the h-back/ slot role. For him to come on the field, we have to remove a FB or a Slot receiver. Since he isnt a good blocker, there is litterally no reason to put him on the field over any of those other players.

The idea behind him was that he would be a mismatch for defenses. If defenses put a LB over him, he would create a mismatch in space. If they put a DB over him he would create a mismatch in blocking. The problem is the later just never happened. He has struggled to block guys significantly smaller than he. So when defenses see him enter the game they simply move to a nickle package which is exactly what they would do if we brought in a slot WR.

Furthermore, I just do not see any way we can keep 4 TEs. I agree Pascoe is not a great player, but his versatility, especially the fact that he is our backup FB does add value. The FB is an integral part of this offense and a very injury prone position.

GameTime
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
injury settelment.....I actully cant belive they havent done this already. What do they see in his skill set and what it can contribute to the team?? I just dont get it....

BlueJayC
08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately certain players coaches on the Giants have an infatuation with......Beckum is one of those guys......DJ Ware is another......neither has "LEGITIMATELY" made large contributions to the team over the course of their careers......they continually get hurt......but they're familiar with the system and I guess are deemed niche guys......outside of DJ's two point conversion and Beckum's GB catch did either really make a play last year?

The Giants and us will be stuck with them until they get hurt or the front office wakes up......actually even if they do get hurt they'll still be around.....last year Beckum's knee (was resigned) and a few years ago DJ's forearm (was resigned).

They must have something on TC or Jerry.......

Medisleman
08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Beckum is not THAT bad guys. Of course we can't keep everyone on the roster, but he has contributed now and again.

GameTime
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Beckum is not THAT bad guys. Of course we can't keep everyone on the roster, but he has contributed now and again.
contributing "now and again" for a high profile position like TE is not good enough. Add in injuries....
his time is up and I wish him well....

GMan-67
08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
he's not taking up a roster spot, so we don't have to make any decisions yet ... the Ballard snafu could save Mr. Beckum ... he did make some plays late in the season and "finesse" TEs like Aaron Hernandez do have an increased value in the NFL now

Captain Chaos
08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
I think PUP!

GMENAGAIN
08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
PUP.

He's not even available to practice yet, is he?

GameTime
08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
he's not taking up a roster spot, so we don't have to make any decisions yet ... the Ballard snafu could save Mr. Beckum ... he did make some plays late in the season and "finesse" TEs like Aaron Hernandez do have an increased value in the NFL now
Beckum no where near what Arron Henandez is....

GMENAGAIN
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
injury settelment.....I actully cant belive they havent done this already. What do they see in his skill set and what it can contribute to the team?? I just dont get it....
Why would we do that now?

If we keep him on the PUP, we don't have to make a decision until game 6. If we've had injuries at TE and he is needed, maybe we keep him. If not, maybe we let him go. The point is we can keep him around for insurance without using a roster spot, so I don't see the need to jetison him now.

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I hope they reach an injury settlement to be honest

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Why would we do that now?

If we keep him on the PUP, we don't have to make a decision until game 6. If we've had injuries at TE and he is needed, maybe we keep him. If not, maybe we let him go. The point is we can keep him around for insurance without using a roster spot, so I don't see the need to jetison him now.

He's NOT a tight end. I realize that's his position, but he's a wide receiver in disguise and not a very good one of those either. I try to support all of out players but Beckum needs to go.

MattMeyerBud
08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
do you guys think beckum will take up a roster spot on the 53 man roster or be placed on pup?

pup ...................

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
He's NOT a tight end. I realize that's his position, but he's a wide receiver in disguise and not a very good one of those either. I try to support all of out players but Beckum needs to go.
is pascoe not a TE then? bc beckum primarily took over pascoes job during our run. we move pascoe all over, he's a hybrid h-back. Plus, and I am a big fan of his and like what he brings to the team, he isnt a good blocker.

Beckum looked like he was coming along. i also think the general consensus around here on his blocking is exaggerated. A lot of the top TE's arent great blockers. You just have to be able to utilize them in whatever ways u can. Beckum has done alright when we've motioned him from out wide, to in tight and he does a lil crack back block.
Theres ways we can get him involved. He's shown, rarely I concede, that he does have the talent to do good things (2 TD performance @ philly 2010, Long TD vs GB reg season 2011, and used more during our run to the SB).

I think he will start the season with a roster spot, not on the PUP. I think he'll be ready to play week 3.

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
is pascoe not a TE then? bc beckum primarily took over pascoes job during our run. we move pascoe all over, he's a hybrid h-back. Plus, and I am a big fan of his and like what he brings to the team, he isnt a good blocker.

Beckum looked like he was coming along. i also think the general consensus around here on his blocking is exaggerated. A lot of the top TE's arent great blockers. You just have to be able to utilize them in whatever ways u can. Beckum has done alright when we've motioned him from out wide, to in tight and he does a lil crack back block.
Theres ways we can get him involved. He's shown, rarely I concede, that he does have the talent to do good things (2 TD performance @ philly 2010, Long TD vs GB reg season 2011, and used more during our run to the SB).

I think he will start the season with a roster spot, not on the PUP. I think he'll be ready to play week 3.

Pascoe can block, Beckum can't. It's really that simple. Beckum nurses his injuries and that drives TC crazy. Last year, when asked about Beckum's return for yet another injury he answered, with a shrug, "that's Beckum." We need players who are on the field most of the time.

primetime
08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Give him his walking papers and wish him luck.

ryan12
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
they should have sent his *** packing with sintim

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Pascoe can block, Beckum can't. It's really that simple. Beckum nurses his injuries and that drives TC crazy. Last year, when asked about Beckum's return for yet another injury he answered, with a shrug, "that's Beckum." We need players who are on the field most of the time.

pascoe can block? he was called for more holding penalties than any one else on the team IIRC, and i remember a ton of horrible blocks...i doubt he's a much better blocker than beckum...besides, a lot of great te's dont block anymore...

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 01:53 PM

ah ha, but what does that tell u bout what they think about beckum?they've kept him despite all the bs, they prob feel like he can be a solid contributor and that he's very talented.

GMan-67
08-24-2012, 02:14 PM

i'm seeing the postion of TE changing into more receiver and less blocker ... in fact, most teams will use an extra Tackle now if they want extra blocking

now just b/c the position is changing doesn't mean Beckum is going to cut it, but it gives him and better chance

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
pascoe can block? he was called for more holding penalties than any one else on the team IIRC, and i remember a ton of horrible blocks...i doubt he's a much better blocker than beckum...besides, a lot of great te's dont block anymore...

You may want to check those stats and you might also recall this is not a team where tight ends "don't block anymore." This is a team where tight ends are, first and foremost, linemen.

Pascoe is far more versatile than Beckum will ever likely be.

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
ah ha, but what does that tell u bout what they think about beckum?they've kept him despite all the bs, they prob feel like he can be a solid contributor and that he's very talented.

Let's see when his contract expires.

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM

You should be sure of your facts: Where is Pascoe on the list?

WHO DREW MOST HOLDING FLAGS IN 2011? (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/who-drew-most-offensive-holding-flags-2011)

GMENAGAIN
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I think that there is not as big a difference between Pascoe's blocking at the TE position and Beckum's blocking at that position as people may think . . . . .

ELIte4MVP
08-24-2012, 03:32 PM
You should be sure of your facts: Where is Pascoe on the list?

WHO DREW MOST HOLDING FLAGS IN 2011? (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/who-drew-most-offensive-holding-flags-2011)

lol that's defensive players

GameTime
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Whether what your opinion of Pascoe's blocking is good or bad he "asked" to block and he does that task. Beckum is not even asked to block. Plus Pascoe can play FB and he is a decent pass catcher when the thro the ball to him. Would rather have Pascoe then Beckum any day. Just my 2cents...

Bones911
08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
My Opinion when I started this thread was putting him on PUP. This way he does not take a roster spot, we wouldn't need him till week 6 and then make a decision. But after reading many of your comments. I agree he really hasn't showed much except he can get injured A LOT!! Therefore let him go and put him out of his misery.

giantsfan420
08-24-2012, 04:54 PM

lol. i said iirc, pascoe had the most holding calls on the team, i never pretended to be sure of that...pascoe kinda sux at blockin

RoanokeFan
08-24-2012, 06:37 PM

da um.......

BlueSanta
08-24-2012, 08:02 PM
da um.......

I am unable to find the link right now but I have for sure read that on a per snap basis Pascoe was the league leader in holding calls last year.

*and I have no idea why i quoted you there. You love it tho, any publicity is good publicity right?