PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning is starting to remind me of Dan Fouts

JMFP2
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Not very mobile.
Great at reading defenses.
Excellent field vision to find open receiver.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

Let me just say Eli Manning is not yet Dan Fouts in terms of excellence.

I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now.

UK-Giantsfan
12-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now.

showing your age sir , but a good observation

( dont worry i was born in the 60's too )

burier
12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

Dan Fouts is a Legend but consider this:

What if Eli put up the numbers he's put up this season for the next 7 years. Specifically the 4th quarter numbers? he go down as the greatest clutch player in the history of sports.

NYSPORTS
12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Eli is much more mobile than Fouts. Eli demonstrated his mobility when rolling right and throwing a strike to Nicks on the sidelines. Fouts couldn't move.

JMFP2
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

What if Eli put up the numbers he's put up this season for the next 7 years. Specifically the 4th quarter numbers? he go down as the greatest clutch player in the history of sports.

I'm thinking he gets ranked alongside Fouts, and maybe in Marino's neighborhood. That's a tall order, though.

ny06
Eli Manning has ice going through his veins. </P>

Nothing fazes him, when the game is on the line Eli turns into Superman. </P>

http://www.towleroad.com/images/2008/08/11/manning.jpg</P>

JMFP2
Eli is much more mobile than Fouts. Eli demonstrated his mobility when rolling right and throwing a strike to Nicks on the sidelines. Fouts couldn't move.

My point is that Eli won't scare anyone with his feet.

Fouts moved around enough to slide out of danger, much like Eli.

giantsforce
12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now.2/3 of the posters here have no idea what you are talking about. especially the ones who pretend to know about football.

Mod_C
12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now.2/3 of the posters here have no idea what you are talking about. especially the ones who pretend to know about football.

Not everyone has a football background. Fortunately, that's not required to be a contributor.

gumby742
12-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Not very mobile. Great at reading defenses. Excellent field vision to find open receiver. ****ty defense Spotty run game. Carries his team. Let me just say Eli Manning is not yet Dan Fouts in terms of excellence. I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now. Dan Fouts is a Legend but consider this: What if Eli put up the numbers he's put up this season for the next 7 years. Specifically the 4th quarter numbers? he go down as the greatest clutch player in the history of sports.</P>

Let's not play the numbers game. In Fout's era, it was twice as hard to throw the ball. Which makes Marino's records all the more impressive.</P>

Kruunch
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

Eli is SOOOOOO much better then Fouts.

Anyone can close their eyes and launch the ball as far as they can.

It takes skill to do it with the worst body language in the league.

Ruttiger711
12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Not very mobile. Great at reading defenses. Excellent field vision to find open receiver. ****ty defense Spotty run game. Carries his team. Let me just say Eli Manning is not yet Dan Fouts in terms of excellence. I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now. Dan Fouts is a Legend but consider this: What if Eli put up the numbers he's put up this season for the next 7 years. Specifically the 4th quarter numbers? he go down as the greatest clutch player in the history of sports.</p>

<font color="#0000FF" size="5">Let's not play the numbers game.</font> In Fout's era, <font color="#0000FF" size="5">it was twice as hard to throw</font> the ball. Which makes Marino's records all the more impressive.</p>

just find this funny :)

NYSPORTS
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Not very mobile. Great at reading defenses. Excellent field vision to find open receiver. ****ty defense Spotty run game. Carries his team. Let me just say Eli Manning is not yet Dan Fouts in terms of excellence. I thought Fouts was one of the best ever.....I'm just saying Eli is reminding me of Dan Fouts right now. Dan Fouts is a Legend but consider this: What if Eli put up the numbers he's put up this season for the next 7 years. Specifically the 4th quarter numbers? he go down as the greatest clutch player in the history of sports.</P>

Let's not play the numbers game.* In Fout's era, it was twice as hard to throw the ball.* Which makes Marino's records all the more impressive.</P>

Few from this era grasp that concept.

VegasGmen
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I'm thinking he gets ranked alongside Fouts, and maybe in Marino's neighborhood. That's a tall order, though.
No Eli is in a different category than those two. What does Eli have that Marino and Fouts never had?

burier
12-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Let's not play the numbers game.* In Fout's era, it was twice as hard to throw the ball.* Which makes Marino's records all the more impressive.</P>

Few from this era grasp that concept.

I was talking more so about clutch play. The rule changes have an impact but right now Eli is doing things few of his contemporaries ever do and he's doing it with pretty amazing frequency.

Fouts and Marino are great but Eli has come up with some pretty insane plays to win games. We can't hold it against players from this era because the rules are a little different,.

NoHuddle10
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Marino's last season was the 99-00 season. He played a lot of his career in the 90s.... And in Miami, great place to throw the ball...

gumby742
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Let's not play the numbers game. In Fout's era, it was twice as hard to throw the ball. Which makes Marino's records all the more impressive.</P>

Marino's last season was the 99-00 season. He played a lot of his career in the 90s.... And in Miami, great place to throw the ball...</P>

Heh. When he was 37, was waaaay past his prime, and was primarily a game manager type? When he was in his prime, the rules were very different. You can't compare any of the records, that Peyton, Rodgers, Brees or pretty much anyone sets anymore. It's now arena football.</P>

Times change. It's like comparing Grossman to Sonny Jurgenson. I'll bet you practially every NFL QB has thrown for more yards per game/season then he has.</P>

Delicreep
12-12-2011, 03:19 PM
What's a 'Dan Fouts'?

Seriously though...that dude was hell on wheels off the field, and if it were not for the fact that he was an icon in SD, he likely would have needed permission from the parole board to play in away games.

burier
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Marino's last season was the 99-00 season. He played a lot of his career in the 90s.... And in Miami, great place to throw the ball...</P>

Heh.* When he was 37, was waaaay past his prime, and was primarily a game manager type?* When he was in his prime, the rules were very different.* You can't compare any of the records, that Peyton, Rodgers, Brees or pretty much anyone sets anymore.** It's now arena football.</P>

Times change.* It's like comparing Grossman to Sonny Jurgenson.* I'll bet you practially every NFL QB has thrown for more yards per game/season then he has.</P>

Just so we're clear Marino was never a game manager type. He always threw the ball all over the field and was making elite throws in the 90s

nygfanmaybe
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
No Eli is in a different category than those two. What does Eli have that Marino and Fouts never had?

Lombardi and SB MVP

Mr Excitement
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I agree...but you forgot, neither team had a defense

jax5338
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Lombardi and SB MVP

im pretty sure neither of them were never the cover boy for men's vogue too. i could be wrong though i cancelled my subscription too long ago.

JMFP2
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I mentioned it, but the filter blocked my description of the defense. LOL.

gumby742
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Heh. When he was 37, was waaaay past his prime, and was primarily a game manager type? When he was in his prime, the rules were very different. You can't compare any of the records, that Peyton, Rodgers, Brees or pretty much anyone sets anymore. It's now arena football.</P>

Times change. It's like comparing Grossman to Sonny Jurgenson. I'll bet you practially every NFL QB has thrown for more yards per game/season then he has.</P>

Just so we're clear Marino was never a game manager type. He always threw the ball all over the field and was making elite throws in the 90s</P>

Not when Jimmy Johnson took over when Marino was already decrepit.</P>

JMFP2
12-12-2011, 03:44 PM

That's true....4000 yards in the "Fouts Era" was much more difficult than today.

NoHuddle10
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Heh.* When he was 37, was waaaay past his prime, and was primarily a game manager type?* When he was in his prime, the rules were very different.* You can't compare any of the records, that Peyton, Rodgers, Brees or pretty much anyone sets anymore.** It's now arena football.</P>

Times change.* It's like comparing Grossman to Sonny Jurgenson.* I'll bet you practially every NFL QB has thrown for more yards per game/season then he has.</P>

haha yes he was 37.... Meaning in 1990 he was 27... Marino's prime was played during the 90's.

Sonny Jurgenson and Dan Marino hardly played in the same era...

Mr Excitement
12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

I mentioned it, but the filter blocked my description of the defense. LOL.

You did...my bad...lol

gumby742
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM

haha yes he was 37.... Meaning in 1990 he was 27... Marino's prime was played during the 90's. Sonny Jurgenson and Dan Marino hardly played in the same era...</P>

When Marino set the record, it was in 1984 i believe. Remember when Lester Hayes and Mark Haynes would put stickem on their hands? Stuff was out of control back then compared to now.</P>

JMFP2
12-12-2011, 05:13 PM

haha yes he was 37.... Meaning in 1990 he was 27... Marino's prime was played during the 90's. Sonny Jurgenson and Dan Marino hardly played in the same era...</P>

When Marino set the record, it was in 1984 i believe.* Remember when Lester Hayes and Mark Haynes would put stickem on their hands?* Stuff was out of control back then compared to now.</P>

I couldn't even imagine what sort of numbers a guy like Marino would be putting up in today's game.

Brees and Rodgers are terrific. But as a pure passer, Marino was amazing.

NoHuddle10
12-12-2011, 09:40 PM

haha yes he was 37.... Meaning in 1990 he was 27... Marino's prime was i thiplayed during the 90's. Sonny Jurgenson and Dan Marino hardly played in the same era...</P>

When Marino set the record, it was in 1984 i believe.* Remember when Lester Hayes and Mark Haynes would put stickem on their hands?* Stuff was out of control back then compared to now.</P>

I think you are right about 84. Marino was much better before he got injured, but he got injured in what I think was his 4th or 5th season. That said, Marino still played the majority of his career and his prime years in the 90s. And whether or not you want to believe it, the game hasnt changed much since the 90s.

DragonSoul
12-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Not very mobile.
****ty defense
Spotty run game.
Carries his team.

showing your age sir , but a good observation

( dont worry i was born in the 60's too )So true about the age! lol, but I did not watch the NFL till about 86, and I really paid attention around early 90's. Plus back then you did not see a lot of other teams/qbs.