PDA

View Full Version : Jernigan gets 9 snaps

Shockeystays08
08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
JJ gets the least amount of snaps of all WR. The only one not to catch a ball I think. No kick off return no punt returns They maybe cutting him. We have Hicks Cruz Hixon Randle Barden and seemingly Douglas. Hard to argue with that. JJ had a pretty good camp but never got snaps with Eli in a game. Kind of puzzling?

B-Red22
08-24-2012, 11:22 PM
they are not cutting a 2nd year 3rd round pick, he will prob start and play almost the whole 4th preseason game

Shockeystays08
08-24-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree he should not be given up on. The lack of any time with the ones after a good camp says something. He got 9 snaps with the second team! Every other WR had more snaps. Like I said puzzling.

TheEnigma
08-24-2012, 11:28 PM
If Barden gets around 4 years to show something, I'm sure they will give Jernigan the same treatment.

SuperNYGiants
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Cutting Jernigan wouldn't be that big of a deal, he's not going to become a #1 receiver anyway, he's a 3rd wideout at best.

titwio
08-24-2012, 11:33 PM
JJ gets the least amount of snaps of all WR. The only one not to catch a ball I think. No kick off return no punt returns They maybe cutting him. We have Hicks Cruz Hixon Randle Barden and seemingly Douglas. Hard to argue with that. JJ had a pretty good camp but never got snaps with Eli in a game. Kind of puzzling?

I think he's safe and they wanted to get more looks at Barden (Who I felt was on the bubble before tonight), Randle, David Douglas, Depalma etc...

*Also Jernigan got first team snaps in the first preseason game. He had two targets and no completions but one was a bad throw and the other was PI (no call) in the end zone.

TheAnalyst
08-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Jernigan is the new Sinorice Moss. A small fast wr Eli never looks at.

titwio
08-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Jernigan is the new Sinorice Moss. A small fast wr Eli never looks at.

This is not true. Eli targets Jernigan almost every time he got snaps with him...including last year in the Jets game with Darrelle Revis covering him.

TheEnigma
08-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm not looking at the talent or production but just how the Giants tend to handle draft picks. It took them forever to cut Moss and one could easily argue that Barden has overstayed his welcome (good game tonight though). Giants are one of the more patient teams in the NFL with their drafted players.

fansince69
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Jerrigan had 2 catches last week and played a lot of snaps....it just varys from week to week depending on who they want to look at.The practice I was at in Albany...last practice there....Jerrigan caught like 6-7 balls...one would have been a long touchdown....they were all with the first unit........In fact that day only Cruz and Jerrigan were catching anything at all.

giantsfan420
08-25-2012, 12:33 AM
he's safe imo but i did wonder if his time is up with everyone else playing and getting snaps but him and like stanback...hes got a lot of talent, i think we need t figure out how to use it. its kinda like the beckum issue

juice33s
08-25-2012, 03:20 AM
With Hosley's emergence and Douglas getting all the reps at kick/ punt return it appears he's out of that role as well....It might come down to which project the Giants want to stay with, JJ at WR or Austin at DT.

Rat_bastich
08-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Jernigan is definitely in a tough position. He was originally brought in to fulfill that slot receiver role with the departure of Steve Smith last year. But, they found a more than suitable replacement with Cruz.

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with him, especially since the position he is vying for is a strength of this team.

myles2424
08-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Cutting Jernigan wouldn't be that big of a deal, he's not going to become a #1 receiver anyway, he's a 3rd wideout at best.

Don't put much thought into your comments do you?

titwio
08-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Jernigan is definitely in a tough position. He was originally brought in to fulfill that slot receiver role with the departure of Steve Smith last year. But, they found a more than suitable replacement with Cruz.

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with him, especially since the position he is vying for is a strength of this team.

What if Cruz were to get hurt though? Jernigan would be the guy who could step right in and fill that position.

I really don't think he's in any danger. He's only in his second year and he's a fairly high draft pick. There's other guys the team can take a chance and try to stash some guys on the PS....with Jernigan they can't and by cutting him they just end up losing an investment.

juice33s
08-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Don't put much thought into your comments do you?
I agree with him, he's 5'8" 189lbs, but doesn't have the strength and explosiveness of guys like Steve Smith (carolina) and Santana Moss....How high could his ceiling possibly be?

myles2424
08-25-2012, 04:29 AM
I agree with him, he's 5'8" 189lbs, but doesn't have the strength and explosiveness of guys like Steve Smith (carolina) and Santana Moss....How high could his ceiling possibly be?

Well yea I agree too that Jernigan will never be a #1.....but saying its no big deal to cut him because he's not a #1 & will only be a #3 is the dumbest thing I heard allnight....

juice33s
08-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Well yea I agree too that Jernigan will never be a #1.....but saying its no big deal to cut him because he's not a #1 & will only be a #3 is the dumbest thing I heard allnight....
Well as it stands he's the 6th maybe even 7th best WR on the team...If he ever makes it to #3 on the depth chart that would be quit the accomplishment in itself

Flip Empty
08-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Second year player on a team loaded at WR. He'll just have to wait his turn.

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Probably more to give Barden his last chance

Redeyejedi
08-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Victor Cruz emerging has made Jernigan expendable but I still dont think he will be cut. Had they known Cruz would of been this good no way they draft him.I think they keep him but very doubt he is active on gameday much

nycsportzfan
08-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Much to early to get rid of Jerrell Jerrnigan.. Hes had a good camp, and i'm sure just like Barden, couglin is smart enough to realize giving the guy more time based on what hes seen day in and day out in practice is the way to go.. Eventually it'll click, and we'll have another stellar weapon..

stormblue
08-25-2012, 07:54 AM
special teams play will probably make the difference.....i think douglas has the edge there.
of course one of coughlin's weak points is keeping seniority among players.
so jj and barden will stay (much to my chagrin).
you gotta suck real bad AND get injured AND rehab AND suck again before the giants
will let "the greek" knock on your door.

you know ....ross , moss ...etc.
and now barden decides to have a decent game just so he can continue to waste a roster spot.

nhpgiantsfan
08-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Well if I'm not mistaken they carried 6 WRs last year. They will probably do it again, especially with the injuries to the CB position. So you have Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Randle, and two spots for JJ, Barden, or Douglas. I was all for cutting Barden, but he shut me up last night, so anyone's guess now. Douglas looks like a player but the fact that he is UDFA may put him to the PS.

stormblue
08-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Well if I'm not mistaken they carried 6 WRs last year. They will probably do it again, especially with the injuries to the CB position. So you have Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Randle, and two spots for JJ, Barden, or Douglas. I was all for cutting Barden, but he shut me up last night, so anyone's guess now. Douglas looks like a player but the fact that he is UDFA may put him to the PS.

you are so right about that and it is disappointing.......this douglas kid can return ....he senses the gaps ....our return game has sucked so bad for so long it is ridiculous .....jj was hyped for his return ability and i have yet to see it pan out.
barden saves his job again........and we lose a good returner and receiver in douglas.

Diamondring
08-25-2012, 08:23 AM
There could be a chance that there are so many players looking good that somebody needs to go. Barden looked good now what?

stormblue
08-25-2012, 08:37 AM
i vote to keep douglas and cut whomever i have to to make it happen.

but coughlin won't let me vote LOL !!!

fansince69
08-25-2012, 08:44 AM
i vote to keep douglas and cut whomever i have to to make it happen.

but coughlin won't let me vote LOL !!!

From what I see on these boards it is probably a good thing that we as fans do not get a vote....no offense to you personally...just fans in general....we never know what the coaching staff and front office knows

stormblue
08-25-2012, 08:53 AM
From what I see on these boards it is probably a good thing that we as fans do not get a vote....no offense to you personally...just fans in general....we never know what the coaching staff and front office knows

oh , believe you are right about that , but i'm still gonna root for the ones i prefer
until the final cuts are made.
but once the final decisions are made i will support and root for whomever makes the roster.

mcillo
08-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I wouldn`t phrase it as Barden had a good game - I`d say they finally decided to throw to him , and he did what he`s capable of . No surprise here , except that the Giants finally used him where thet should have - on the goal line. Too bad he got jumped on the fade attempt , otherwise he would have had 2 td`s againts Tillman and then I could have really squashed all the Barden haters.

NorwoodBlue
08-25-2012, 09:35 AM
I've got to beleive Douglas is the odd man out here, for only one reason: He can be picked up for the practice squad. If there's an injury, he's back on the roster. It seems to me that the practice squad is letting a lot of these marginal veterans stay on the roster while promising rookies are cut and then resigned to the practice squad. It's a red-shirt system for the pros. Personally I think Douglas would help this team more than either Barden or Jernigan, he's got more special teams potential, and he does seem to be a solid reciever. Barden pulled his usual pre-season flash last night, really in position to get both Giants touchdowns if he wasn't interfered with; but, we've got the nagging question of whether he'll ever carry it over ot the regular season.

I think Martinek might be another guy who's cut and resigned.

Possibly Ojomo, and Mausau also.

It makes the decisions for the coaches easier; but it also keeps young rookies out of uniform on game day when they could be palying special teams and maybe getting some snaps to give them experience.

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 10:11 AM
JJ has 2 catches in three Pre season gams! Eli targeted him twice in the first game . he got mugged in the end zone and Eli threw a crap pass the other time. Since the first quarter of the first Pre season game JJ has had only Carr throwing the ball and not to hot at that. JJ ran a nice pattern last night got wide open and Carr throws it in the turf.If JJ has had all those good showings in camp there has to be some reason they don't seem interested in giving him many shots in a game. JJ has had some impressive days at camp but that has earned him zero interest to see what he can do in a game. I don't think Coughlin likes him. Coughlin only mentions him with disgust - dropped punts. otherwise he never mentions JJ. He made a point to mention nice catches from Douglas and Depalma last night, never says a positive word about the kid. Even if JJ gets some time and looks good next week it will be said" but he didn't do it against the ones.I think he's better than Sinorece Moss but the Gmen may be turning him into another Sinorice.

NorwoodBlue
08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
It might just be a matter of Coughlin not seeing where JJ fits into this team. He's got a solid first three in Nicks, Cruz and Randle. Dependable backup in Hixon, and Douglas seems to have a lot of potential too, assuming they don't try to cut him and resign him to the practice squad. They could lose him to waivers that way. That leaves Barden and JJ as really lacking a place to fit into this offense. I wonder if there aren't a lot of mental mistakes on JJ's part that are frustrating the coaching staff? Something seems amiss. He was catching balls all over the place early in camp, and now he's a non-factor. Barden showed a flash last night, and that might be really bad news for JJ. I think regardless of who we cut, they're going to get picked up by somebody. There's a lot more talent there than there is playing time.

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 10:32 AM
It might just be a matter of Coughlin not seeing where JJ fits into this team. He's got a solid first three in Nicks, Cruz and Randle. Dependable backup in Hixon, and Douglas seems to have a lot of potential too, assuming they don't try to cut him and resign him to the practice squad. They could lose him to waivers that way. That leaves Barden and JJ as really lacking a place to fit into this offense. I wonder if there aren't a lot of mental mistakes on JJ's part that are frustrating the coaching staff? Something seems amiss. He was catching balls all over the place early in camp, and now he's a non-factor. Barden showed a flash last night, and that might be really bad news for JJ. I think regardless of who we cut, they're going to get picked up by
somebody. There's a lot more talent there than there is playing time.

Well said! The Cowboys were interested in JJ,if we let JJ go hope he doesn't end up there. The kid is gonna be a playmaker someday somewhere. it's looking like it may not be with us.

Captain Chaos
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
I like Jernigan, he's got some run after the catch ability; I just don't think you can cut his tallent. Douglas is doing great and it's sad that the WR spot is stacked; I think he may be a practice squad guy.

tonyt830
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm sure we will see Jernigan getting a lot more PT this coming week vs the Pats. Most of the starters will rest, so Jernigan and the other WRs fighting for the 5th or 6th spots(Douglas, Stanback, Barden) will get plenty of reps. I want to see if Barden's play carries over into the next preseason game. Maybe its starting to click for him.

jomo
08-25-2012, 01:36 PM
JJ gets the least amount of snaps of all WR. The only one not to catch a ball I think. No kick off return no punt returns They maybe cutting him. We have Hicks Cruz Hixon Randle Barden and seemingly Douglas. Hard to argue with that. JJ had a pretty good camp but never got snaps with Eli in a game. Kind of puzzling?It is puzzling and telling i think. However, he's only in his second year and a pretty high draft choice. That probably saves him. I see someone coming up with a phantom injury and getting parked on IR.

gmen46
08-25-2012, 01:56 PM
It is puzzling and telling i think. However, he's only in his second year and a pretty high draft choice. That probably saves him. I see someone coming up with a phantom injury and getting parked on IR.

That looks like the only way Jernicant makes the 53.

Or, he's waived with intent to put on practice squad.

NorwoodBlue
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
That looks like the only way Jernicant makes the 53.

Or, he's waived with intent to put on practice squad.

I don't think he can go on the practice squad after being on the regular roster all last year. Douglas is the only one of the group eligible for practice squad duty. I just hope they don't try to put Douglas on the practice squad and somebody else picks him up. Barden is in the last year of his rookie contract, he really has to show something to stay too. I think it's either Barden or JJ, not both.

SuperNYGiants
08-25-2012, 05:16 PM
The JJ apologists are forgetting a very important part, that Eli our golden child QB does not seem to get on the same page with JJ, and that's good enough for me to cut JJ over say Barden. What's the point of keeping a wide receiver that our golden child QB doesn't throw to much? We've gone through this situation already with Sinorice Moss, and Moss was a BETTER athlete too. I don' think mentioning Eli was even necessary though because Douglas has played better than JJ, and so has Barden. It's hilarious that you dopes are just trying to keep JJ so that Jerry Reese's name wouldn't get tainted. Who cares!! This is football, talk outside the lines is for posers.

giants8493
08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't think he can go on the practice squad after being on the regular roster all last year. Douglas is the only one of the group eligible for practice squad duty. I just hope they don't try to put Douglas on the practice squad and somebody else picks him up. Barden is in the last year of his rookie contract, he really has to show something to stay too. I think it's either Barden or JJ, not both. Douglas won't make the practice squad. He probably could start for the Jets right now. Another team will pick him up for sure.

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
The JJ apologists are forgetting a very important part, that Eli our golden child QB does not seem to get on the same page with JJ, and that's good enough for me to cut JJ over say Barden. What's the point of keeping a wide receiver that our golden child QB doesn't throw to much? We've gone through this situation already with Sinorice Moss, and Moss was a BETTER athlete too. I don' think mentioning Eli was even necessary though because Douglas has played better than JJ, and so has Barden. It's hilarious that you dopes are just trying to keep JJ so that Jerry Reese's name wouldn't get tainted. Who cares!! This is football, talk outside the lines is for posers.

Saying Moss is a better athlete than JJ is way off mark.You made a bit of sense up to that point. The after catch ability by JJ blows away anything Moss had in his arsenal. JJ is also a former QB and has a pretty strong accurate arm. It's not gonna help him make this team though. In my opinion JJ is the better athlete. If they don't give him quality reps with the ones he has no chance to show the skills he displayed in camp in a game. A couple of looks from Eli in rusty Pre season game number one was not much of a shot. He's been stuck with the 2's since the first quarter of the first Pre season game. He has limited opportunity working with the inaccurate Carr and a lousy line.

gmen46
08-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think he can go on the practice squad after being on the regular roster all last year. Douglas is the only one of the group eligible for practice squad duty. I just hope they don't try to put Douglas on the practice squad and somebody else picks him up. Barden is in the last year of his rookie contract, he really has to show something to stay too. I think it's either Barden or JJ, not both.

It's my understanding that a player in the league less than 3 years, and who was on the active roster fewer than 9 games in a season (Jernigan was active 8 games last year), that player can be eligible for the practice squad. The actual wording in the new CBA regarding practice squad eligibility is, like all contracts, is a little opaque, but I believe Jernigan meets the eligibility requirements for the PS.

If he's not, I would agree with your opinion that a cut decision could boil down to Jernigan or Barden. If that turns out to be the case, I'd say Barden has a slight edge to be retained over Jernigan. However, it will likely come down to whether or not the Giants can trust that Barden will remain relatively healthy enough to stay on the field this year.

SuperNYGiants
08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Saying Moss is a better athlete than JJ is way off mark.You made a bit of sense up to that point. The after catch ability by JJ blows away anything Moss had in his arsenal. JJ is also a former QB and has a pretty strong accurate arm. It's not gonna help him make this team though. In my opinion JJ is the better athlete. If they don't give him quality reps with the ones he has no chance to show the skills he displayed in camp in a game. A couple of looks from Eli in rusty Pre season game number one was not much of a shot. He's been stuck with the 2's since the first quarter of the first Pre season game. He has limited opportunity working with the inaccurate Carr and a lousy line.
How is Moss being more athletic being way off mark? At least Moss caught a TD pass in a regular season game, whereas JJ has yet to catch a single pass in a real game. Look, I don't have to prove anything to you JJ apologists, the ball is in JJ's court, and he has yet to respond, other than a couple of muffed punts, you'll have to do better than "He's a high draft pick so we keep him until hell freezes over." nonsense. This team is a defending champion, there's no room for that.

juice33s
08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Moss ran a 4.38 at a combine to Jernigan's 4.46 for what ever thats worth

giants8493
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
How is Moss being more athletic being way off mark? At least Moss caught a TD pass in a regular season game, whereas JJ has yet to catch a single pass in a real game. Look, I don't have to prove anything to you JJ apologists, the ball is in JJ's court, and he has yet to respond, other than a couple of muffed punts, you'll have to do better than "He's a high draft pick so we keep him until hell freezes over." nonsense. This team is a defending champion, there's no room for that.He is a high draft pick so he deserves to at least have 2 years before giving up on him. its been barely 1... Cutting a high pick after just his rookie season is kind of crazy.

nycsportzfan
08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Moss ran a 4.38 at a combine to Jernigan's 4.46 for what ever thats worth Jerrell Jerrnigan did everything as a college player.. Unlike Moss, Jerny was throwing TD's, returning TD's, Catching Td's, Running for Tds..etc I mean, jesus!!!!lol Hence why u don't even consdier getting rid of this guy yet.. In fact the giants would be pretty dumb to let em go..

nycsportzfan
08-26-2012, 03:45 AM
The JJ apologists are forgetting a very important part, that Eli our golden child QB does not seem to get on the same page with JJ, and that's good enough for me to cut JJ over say Barden. What's the point of keeping a wide receiver that our golden child QB doesn't throw to much? We've gone through this situation already with Sinorice Moss, and Moss was a BETTER athlete too. I don' think mentioning Eli was even necessary though because Douglas has played better than JJ, and so has Barden. It's hilarious that you dopes are just trying to keep JJ so that Jerry Reese's name wouldn't get tainted. Who cares!! This is football, talk outside the lines is for posers. All it'll take is a game like last night from Jerrnigan and it'll start getting him more looks and it could start a trend for him.. This articles from GIANTS101 , whos obviously not a big deal football guru or anything, but i agree that JJ is pretty much guranteed a spot.. Douglas is gonna be odd one out i believe..

Ramses Barden, Other Non-Starting Wide Receivers Shine for New York Giants in Preseason Loss
August 25th, 2012 at 3:00 PM
By Simon Garron-Caine

With just one preseason game left, the New York Giants' roster and playing time decisions are mostly coming to start into focus. One area that still has some question marks, however, is the wide receiver position. Sure, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are penciled into their roles but after that things may not be what they appear.

First things first; Domenik Hixon looks like himself so far and is probably your third receiver (when Nicks returns). He's a veteran, the coaches trust him and he can whatever WR position needed. Rookie Reuben Randle, however, is lurking not far behind. Along with Cruz, these two guys got extensive work with Manning and the first team last night. However, there's still a few questions after those top four., the biggest being whether Ramses Barden can hang around.

Barden came up with three catches for 46 yards and a touchdown last night (and a pass interference on another sure touchdown). He sure looked to be using his big body the way the Giants envisioned when they drafted him. In fact Barden was so good last night that when asked about rookie running back David Wilson's breakout performance, Coughlin shifted focus to Barden, praising the big wide receiver for his play.

Said Manning of Barden's play last night: "Ramses played great…that's what we've been looking for from Ramses over the past couple of years. See if he can step up and make some plays for us, and today, he did it."

But will it be enough to save his roster spot? Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Randle and Jerrel Jernigan are guaranteed roster spots in front of Barden, and his lack of special teams play makes him an imperfect candidate for that sixth roster spot.

Speaking of perfect candidates for that last spot … David Douglas appears to be the Giants punt returner, taking three first half punts last night (one of which was very nice although called back by a holding penalty). That sounds like bad news for Barden, but we're starting to wonder if the Giants will carry seven receivers. They've done it before.

Needless to say, Big Blue will have some tough decisions to make in the WR unit. Good problems to have, we suppose.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

juice33s
08-26-2012, 03:52 AM
All it'll take is a game like last night from Jerrnigan and it'll start getting him more looks and it could start a trend for him.. This articles from GIANTS101 , whos obviously not a big deal football guru or anything, but i agree that JJ is pretty much guranteed a spot.. Douglas is gonna be odd one out i believe..

Ramses Barden, Other Non-Starting Wide Receivers Shine for New York Giants in Preseason Loss
August 25th, 2012 at 3:00 PM
By Simon Garron-Caine

With just one preseason game left, the New York Giants' roster and playing time decisions are mostly coming to start into focus. One area that still has some question marks, however, is the wide receiver position. Sure, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are penciled into their roles but after that things may not be what they appear.

First things first; Domenik Hixon looks like himself so far and is probably your third receiver (when Nicks returns). He's a veteran, the coaches trust him and he can whatever WR position needed. Rookie Reuben Randle, however, is lurking not far behind. Along with Cruz, these two guys got extensive work with Manning and the first team last night. However, there's still a few questions after those top four., the biggest being whether Ramses Barden can hang around.

Barden came up with three catches for 46 yards and a touchdown last night (and a pass interference on another sure touchdown). He sure looked to be using his big body the way the Giants envisioned when they drafted him. In fact Barden was so good last night that when asked about rookie running back David Wilson's breakout performance, Coughlin shifted focus to Barden, praising the big wide receiver for his play.

Said Manning of Barden's play last night: "Ramses played great…that's what we've been looking for from Ramses over the past couple of years. See if he can step up and make some plays for us, and today, he did it."

But will it be enough to save his roster spot? Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Randle and Jerrel Jernigan are guaranteed roster spots in front of Barden, and his lack of special teams play makes him an imperfect candidate for that sixth roster spot.

Speaking of perfect candidates for that last spot … David Douglas appears to be the Giants punt returner, taking three first half punts last night (one of which was very nice although called back by a holding penalty). That sounds like bad news for Barden, but we're starting to wonder if the Giants will carry seven receivers. They've done it before.

Needless to say, Big Blue will have some tough decisions to make in the WR unit. Good problems to have, we suppose.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon
I don't know how the writer surmised that JJ was guaranteed a roster spot infront of Barden when Barden is currently higher on the depth chart then JJ.

gmen46
08-26-2012, 04:03 AM
He is a high draft pick so he deserves to at least have 2 years before giving up on him. its been barely 1... Cutting a high pick after just his rookie season is kind of crazy.

Where is it written that because a specific player "is a high draft pick so he deserves to have at least 2 years before giving up on him"? Where have you ever seen that to be a "rule", or even a rule of thumb?

If being a high draft pick guaranteed a spot on the final roster, as opposed to his earning a spot, why 2? Why not 3? Or 4? Where did "2 years" come from? I could tell you where, but you won't like it.

Don't we always hear from coaches, GMs, etc that every position is competed for, and that no one is "given" a position?

Well, of all the probable final WRs to make our final 53, Jernigan has been the least competitive. If he doesn't show us more than 1 or 2 receptions--or, more likely, none-- in the Patriots game, and/or at least a couple long kick/punt returns without muffing the ball, what possible reason would the Giants have for giving him a roster spot at the expense of one of those who have shown us something?

Because he was "a high draft pick"? Absurd. And a lazy assumption.

nycsportzfan
08-26-2012, 05:40 AM
I don't know how the writer surmised that JJ was guaranteed a roster spot infront of Barden when Barden is currently higher on the depth chart then JJ. Hes saying that Barden's closer to his last chance then Jerrnigan.. I agree! Barden needs to bigger preseason and so far has gotten it..

Roswell777
08-26-2012, 11:17 AM
It is puzzling and telling i think. However, he's only in his second year and a pretty high draft choice. That probably saves him. I see someone coming up with a phantom injury and getting parked on IR.

I agree Jomo. Cruz was "parked" two years ago. Either someone is IR'd or, if the Giants are really high on all of these guys, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut Hixon.

hungrrrry
08-26-2012, 12:02 PM
I have never been a fan of Jernigan...Sinorice Moss left a bad impression over the years and ate up a roster spot for those years, unproductively....Letting Jernigan, who still flashes fumblitis, remain for another season or two is futile...I understand players need to develope at positions but they should exhibit a nice supply of talent at that position which, if you are honest with yourself, he does not. Some people are nice college players but it doesn't always translate into the pro level and Jerrell is an example of that.

This has bust written all over it...keep someone who flashes some playmaking skill....Barden is slower as a WR but he had a nice game and that is more than can be said about Jernigan. Barden may well have found something in himself Friday night and may want to exploit that himself now...he should see a lot of snaps in the fourth game...as should Jernigan, Douglas, Steinbeck, etc.

I think Hixon has a spot by default...the man is good and a veteran player which has nice value over young and completely unproven players that flash nothing...this is really not a discussion here!