PDA

View Full Version : Is Hixon in jeopardy of being cut?

I Bleed Blue
08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I haven't seen a thing from him at all this preseason. He's not been part of the return game either, which was his biggest asset. I wonder if those knee injuries have begun to take a toll on his quickness. He's an upstanding guy, but he just doesn't look the same. They are going to have to release at least two receivers and he could very well be one of them. Any thoughts?

fansince69
08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I haven't seen a thing from him at all this preseason. He's not been part of the return game either, which was his biggest asset. I wonder if those knee injuries have begun to take a toll on his quickness. He's an upstanding guy, but he just doesn't look the same. They are going to have to release at least two receivers and he could very well be one of them. Any thoughts?

I have to admit I have pondered exactly what you are saying...but my other thoughts are....Does the coaching staff already know what Hixon can do as a returner and are just looking at other possibilities

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I see Hicks, Cruz, Randle, the for sures. Douglas I believe is in. Barden ? Jernigan? Hixon? Do we keep 7? With as little interest they have is using JJ it will be an interesting call. Stanback is still in the mix also I think. One or 2 of the above names are hitting the road to other teams.

nhpgiantsfan
08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I think because of his experience and knowledge of the playbook that Hixon is a lock. He is a great insurance policy should there be an injury. I am not so sure that Douglas is in, even though he had a good camp. I don't see them giving up on JJ yet and Barden may haves saved himself last night.

Captain Chaos
08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I see Hicks, Cruz, Randle, the for sures. Douglas I believe is in. Barden ? Jernigan? Hixon? Do we keep 7? With as little interest they have is using JJ it will be an interesting call. Stanback is still in the mix also I think. One or 2 of the above names are hitting the road to other teams.

I think they only keep 6:Nicks, Cruz Randle for sure I think it will likely be Barden, Jerrnigan and Hixon rounding out the six with Douglas on the PS. Though it wouldn't surprise me to see Douglas make it, he has performed well.

SackingMyths
08-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Just finished watching last night's game on dvr and was wondering the exact same thing.

His best value was on ST...always has been. I assume they're just trying to keep him out of harms way in the preseason, but eventually, that's where he's gonna have to earn his paycheck IMO. Haven't seen a whole lot out of him as a receiver since he's made it back. Maybe he lost a step or two or just needs to round back into shape. Who knows?

What I do know is that Douglas is as sure-handed a returner and has more upside at WR. This really puts a dent in Hixon's value.

Don't get me wrong - I love the guy, admire him for persevering, and want him to be on the team. But he may just be a really painful cut that the coaching staff ultimately has to make.

YATittle1962
08-25-2012, 12:29 PM
his name is NIcks

and ...."Douglas I believe is in.." ????

are you being serious?

do you have any idea how highly this ownership and coaching staff thinks of Domenik Hixon?

I do......and he will never be released in favor of Douglas, Barden, or any of those other names if he remains healthy

I Bleed Blue
08-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Just finished watching last night's game on dvr and was wondering the exact same thing.

His best value was on ST...always has been. I assume they're just trying to keep him out of harms way in the preseason, but eventually, that's where he's gonna have to earn his paycheck IMO. Haven't seen a whole lot out of him as a receiver since he's made it back. Maybe he lost a step or two or just needs to round back into shape. Who knows?

What I do know is that Douglas is as sure-handed a returner and has more upside at WR. This really puts a dent in Hixon's value.

Don't get me wrong - I love the guy, admire him for persevering, and want him to be on the team. But he may just be a really painful cut that the coaching staff ultimately has to make.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I agree totally, but I just get a bad feeling about him making the roster. You have to make plays, regardless of ones knowledge of the playbook. He's been out there as a receiver and I don't see him being as talented as the other receivers who are fighting for a spot. Isaiah Stanback has shown more, which is why I'm worried about him being cut. I like Hixon a lot, but let's see what happens between now and next Friday.

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Hixon is as versatile a player as you can hope for. He can be a gunner on ST' h, e's still the only proven return man we've had in the recent past and, if as I suspect, Wilson becomes the second half of the RB tandem he won't be fielding punts or kickoffs on a regular basis. He also runs great routes and is where he's supposed to be on the field. I would expect him to make the team again.

SuperNYGiants
08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
If I had to make a decision based on emotion, I would keep Hixon 100%
But this is BUSINESS, Hixon has had 2 major injury to the same knee, he's past his prime, he's a nice player, but has reached his ceiling already.
I would keep Douglas instead and only if it is between Hixon and Douglas, otherwise Hixon gets in over any other backup wideouts.

YATittle1962
08-25-2012, 01:08 PM
If I had to make a decision based on emotion, I would keep Hixon 100%
But this is BUSINESS, Hixon has had 2 major injury to the same knee, he's past his prime, he's a nice player, but has reached his ceiling already.
I would keep Douglas instead and only if it is between Hixon and Douglas, otherwise Hixon gets in over any other backup wideouts.

HIxon knows every receiver position in the playbook.....do you have any idea how valuable that is?

not to mention the coaches love this kid to death

not an ice cubes chance in hell this Douglas kid takes Hixons roster spot

SackingMyths
08-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Gotta agree with I Bleed Blue and SuperNYGiants. I don't WANT to see Hixon go. But it's an imperfect world where emotions and loyalty can't factor heavily into prudent personnel decisions. It'd be a very tough decision, similar to when we had to let Tyree walk.

Eyeball test - he just doesn't look like the same player, and others have demonstrated higher upside (and with less risk). There's a great track record with this team and QB to teach new WRs how to grasp the offense. His knowledge of the playbook is overstated, I feel.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can hang your hat on what you WERE able to do prior to 2 major knee surgeries. Guys are always fighting to replace you and earn your spot. I'm sure Hixon understands this better than all of us.

ShakeandBake
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
No Hixon is not in jeopardy in getting cut, he along with Nicks, Cruz, Randle, and JJ are locks to make the team.

NYG 5
08-25-2012, 01:22 PM
his name is NIcks

are you being serious?

do you have any idea how highly this ownership and coaching staff thinks of Domenik Hixon?

I do......and he will never be released in favor of Douglas, Barden, or any of those other names if he remains healthy

yes, the organization thinks so highly of its players, which is why they were so quick to give victor cruz a new contract, and were so generous towards steve smith and david tyree, another ST demon.

the guy isn't on a scholarship here. not that he won't make the team, but do you think the team wouldn't take Barden, who is having a productive preseason and has a 3rd round pick invested in him, over Hixon, who hasn't played in 2 years, is older, and was never better than an ok or good receiver? that's madness. you remember how quick the team was to let Hilliard walk when he was only 28 and had 8 years worth of contribution to the team, on offense and special teams? and that was when there was no third receiver aside from tim carter.

YATittle1962
08-25-2012, 01:25 PM
yes, the organization thinks so highly of its players, which is why they were so quick to give victor cruz a new contract, and were so generous towards steve smith and david tyree, another ST demon.

the guy isn't on a scholarship here. not that he won't make the team, but do you think the team wouldn't take Barden, who is having a productive preseason and has a 3rd round pick invested in him, over Hixon, who hasn't played in 2 years, is older, and was never better than an ok or good receiver? that's madness. you remember how quick the team was to let Hilliard walk when he was only 28 and had 8 years worth of contribution to the team, on offense and special teams? and that was when there was no third receiver aside from tim carter.

do you have any idea how silly you sound?

and you will feel silly as well when Hixon makes the 53

barring injury he is a lock.....and a huge asset to this receiving corps. which lacks experience beyond the 1 and 2 spots

...and Hixon just inked a new contract .....so

tonyt830
08-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Unless Hixon suffers some sort of setback ie: injury, I think he will be on the final 53. The young guys can be stashed on the PS and develop. Yes I know its a chance that they may get signed by another team, but thats the chance you have to take in the NFL.

I like what players like Douglas have shown in camp/preseason. Hopefully he can be part of the Giants in the future.

NYG 5
08-25-2012, 01:33 PM
no, not really, i'm not the one implying that an often injured, 27 year old WR who has never hauled in 300 receiving yards in a season, is untouchable.

you know who knew every positional role in a unit, in a unit that wasn't very deep to begin with, who was also part of a championship special teams unit and STILL got cut before the season? Chase Blackburn.

primetime
08-25-2012, 01:37 PM

From a business prospective would you give a player a new contract after one season? Not saying Cruz doesn't deserve one, but you are awarding a player after one (spectacular season) You also have to put into the equation the salary cap issues, we give Cruz that money, than Osi doesn't get his raise, and more than likely we don't give Kiwi an extension. As for Steve Smith, wasn't it reported that Reese and the Giants gave Smith a contract the year before he got hurt? And Smith turned it down. As for David Tyree, we all loved him for what he did for us, the greatest catch in the super bowl, the great play on special teams. But saying all that, he lasted what 1 more year with the Ravens and retired.

The Giants have some tough decisions to make this coming week, I think that's a good thing though. Competition brings the best out, and usually the best players are the one's who make it.

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 01:38 PM
his name is NIcks

are you being serious?

Thanks Y. A. Tit! I didn't realize you served as the boards spelling police? We will see if Douglas or Hixon stays but at this point Douglas is struting while Hixon's done nuting. Sorry for my spelling!

jomo
08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Hixon is our #3 WR on opening day.

Giants5699
08-25-2012, 01:56 PM
If I were in charge, It would be Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Hixon, DePalma, Douglas.

This is why: DePalma and Douglas have shown great things while Barden and Jernigan have shown less than even Stanbeck. DePalma and Douglas can both play special teams and DePalma can even play a little corner. They have shown more at WR/PR/KR/ST than both Barden and Jernigan and at that spot in the depth chart, they have to be able to play ST.
I'd also for running backs enter the season with:
Bradshaw/Wilson/Martinek/Scott. Ware and Brown just flat out suck.

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 01:57 PM

You forgot the red font!

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Most likely true and even if he slides to 4 mid-season he will still provide value at whatever he's asked to do.

jomo
08-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Most likely true and even if he slides to 4 mid-season he will still provide value at whatever he's asked to do.If healthy, he is also our best return guy on punts and KOs. He's coming off his second acl and I am sure the coaches are lighting his load right now to evaluate guys they know little about. Hixon, they know very well and like alot.

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
If healthy, he is also our best return guy on punts and KOs. He's coming off his second acl and I am sure the coaches are lighting his load right now to evaluate guys they know little about. Hixon, they know very well and like alot.

Without a doubt. He's not been back there in preseason because they know he's Mr. Reliable and he's been practicing returns all camp

NYG4lifeNYK
08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
LOL, man Hixon is as close to a LOCK as they come.

jomo
08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
LOL, man Hixon is as close to a LOCK as they come.Love his chin hair too! lol

NYG4lifeNYK
08-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Love his chin hair too! lol

AHAHAHA it's perfect for him because he looks like a goat, which is funny because he runs like a gazelle :biggrin:

giants8493
08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
LOL, man Hixon is as close to a LOCK as they come. Not compared to Eli! That man is a LOCK. 0% chance of him getting cut. There is a lower chance of him getting cut then anyone.

gmen46
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks Y. A. Tit! I didn't realize you served as the boards spelling police? We will see if Douglas or Hixon stays but at this point Douglas is struting while Hixon's done nuting. Sorry for my spelling!

Simmer down, Nelly.

Not that YA needs any defense by me, of all people, but Nicks is entering his fourth year with us, so it would make sense that Giants fans, at least, get his name right at this point. Not to mention that there actually is a current NFL player named Akeem Hicks (Saints).

While we're at it, you're underestimating the relevance of the Giants signing Hixon to a new contract this off season, after his second consecutive missed season due to his knee. If they did that before seeing what he can now do on the field, they sure as hell are not going to cut him if he's healthy (which he is) and if he has not made any mistakes (which he has not), regardless of how much or how little you have seen from him in pre season games.

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 04:24 PM
It's probably safe to say he will still be a GIANT at 6:00 p.m. on Monday

miked1958
08-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Hixon had the nice catch on 4th down vs Jets

GMan-67
08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
i think we were being cautious with him ... i don't think we would have re-signed him to not take advantage of his STs ... now that does not mean he has to be a return guy, but he can do the gunner thing, for example ... teams sometimes keep 7 WRs, so i still believe there is room for Hix ... afterall, he's been 3rd on the WR depth chart for most of the preseason ... now i understand, you could make a case for both Barden and Randle having moved past him, but at worst that leaves him 5th

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Simmer down, Nelly.

Not that YA needs any defense by me, of all people, but Nicks is entering his fourth year with us, so it would make sense that Giants fans, at least, get his name right at this point. Not to mention that there actually is a current NFL player named Akeem Hicks (Saints).

While we're at it, you're underestimating the relevance of the Giants signing Hixon to a new contract this off season, after his second consecutive missed season due to his knee. If they did that before seeing what he can now do on the field, they sure as hell are not going to cut him if he's healthy (which he is) and if he has not made any mistakes (which he has not), regardless of how much or how little you have seen from him in pre season games.

I like the simmer down Nelly part. On my iPad the H is right above the N. I accidentally hit the H instead of the N. I realize his name is Hakeem Nicks not Hakeem Hicks. Were you implying I'm not a fan because I had a typo? Been one since 1963.

giantsfan420
08-25-2012, 08:56 PM
if u ever listen to a player who has retired speak about training camp, they'd tell you every person is in jeopardy of being cut...

BParcells777
08-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Probably

He is injury prone, cannot get real seperation and is not a great route runner

The days of his returning kicks are over......for one thing not many are returnable any more

gmen46
08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I like the simmer down Nelly part. On my iPad the H is right above the N. I accidentally hit the H instead of the N. I realize his name is Hakeem Nicks not Hakeem Hicks. Were you implying I'm not a fan because I had a typo? Been one since 1963.

This is one of my favorite responses here--the faux outrage at having one's fandom questioned.

No, i did not say, nor did I imply, that you are not a fan. I'm saying that as you are a fan it would make sense that by Nicks' 4th year on the team you would not make that mistake, which was commonly made on this board his rookie year, even his 2nd year to a lesser extent, but not now, his 4th year.

Nice try with the "accidentally hit the wrong key" bit. That happens to every one. Except that you have "accidentally" hit that "H" key in each post in this thread when referring to Nicks. Multiple typos, I suppose.

Btw, keyboards on any computer have the "h" just above the "n", as well, so don't know why referring to your iPad use would make it more excusable.

Joe Morrison
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Unless someone shows up in the return game Hixon is a lock to be on the field opening day.

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Unless someone shows up in the return game Hixon is a lock to be on the field opening day.

This is especially true if Wilson snags the # 2 RB slot.

njsean
08-26-2012, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't be shocked either way. Everyones untouchable until they're touched.

BigBlue1971
08-26-2012, 12:39 PM

i doubt Hixon is let go! the Giants know his injury history and arent taking unnecessary chances with him in the preseason. they also know his histroy as a player so i think that keeps him on the team.

right now he is prolly out best punt returner and #3 or 4 on the depth chart as a receiver!

you may be susprised at his play this season. dont forget he has 2 years of energy stored up in him and hopefully it all comes out starting on Sep 5.

Drez
08-26-2012, 12:41 PM
If I were in charge, It would be Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Hixon, DePalma, Douglas.

This is why: DePalma and Douglas have shown great things while Barden and Jernigan have shown less than even Stanbeck. DePalma and Douglas can both play special teams and DePalma can even play a little corner. They have shown more at WR/PR/KR/ST than both Barden and Jernigan and at that spot in the depth chart, they have to be able to play ST.

And that's why those DePalma and Douglas will end up on the practice squad and not the 53.

Drez
08-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Probably

He is injury prone, cannot get real seperation and is not a great route runner

The days of his returning kicks are over......for one thing not many are returnable any more

Who are you talking about? Certainly not Hixon.

jomo
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
And that's why those DePalma and Douglas will end up on the practice squad and not the 53.Probably true.

trueblue2105
08-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Nicks,Cruz, Randle, Hixon,JJ, Barden
Hate that Barden will make it, but last preseason game might of saved his job.

fansince69
08-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Nicks,Cruz, Randle, Hixon,JJ, Barden
Hate that Barden will make it, but last preseason game might of saved his job.

I agree.....

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Why would you hate Barden making it? Guy is a tremendous talent with great hands. He worked his *** off all off season with Manning in Hoboken and it clearly has made a difference. If he can correct his seperation issue the guy will be a very nice addition to the offense.

Hixon will certainly not be cut if he stays healthy. TC loves him, he works very hard and remember, the return guys being used in the preseason are getting tryouts, Hixon is the guy every day at practice. He has been the number one PR in practice every day as well.

Drez
08-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Probably true. Only way they don't is if they get claimed off waivers before they hit the PS.

Shockeystays08
08-26-2012, 02:57 PM
This is one of my favorite responses here--the faux outrage at having one's fandom questioned.

No, i did not say, nor did I imply, that you are not a fan. I'm saying that as you are a fan it would make sense that by Nicks' 4th year on the team you would not make that mistake, which was commonly made on this board his rookie year, even his 2nd year to a lesser extent, but not now, his 4th year.

Nice try with the "accidentally hit the wrong key" bit. That happens to every one. Except that you have "accidentally" hit that "H" key
in each post in this thread when referring to Nicks. Multiple typos, I suppose

Btw, keyboards on any computer have the "h" just above the "n", as well, so don't know why referring to your iPad use would make it more excusable.

Your funny gmen46! But I think it's time to get back on subject. However I did enjoy your spelling evaluation and keyboard analysis !;)

jomo
08-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Nice try with the "accidentally hit the wrong key" bit. That happens to every one. Except that you have "accidentally" hit that "H" key in each post in this thread when referring to Nicks. Multiple typos, I suppose.

Btw, keyboards on any computer have the "h" just above the "n", as well, so don't know why referring to your iPad use would make it more excusable.I always got a kick out of people calling (spelling) our WR "Plex" even after a game for the ages in Green Bay, a Super Bowl win and gun in the sweat pants episode. lol

fansince69
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I always got a kick out of people calling (spelling) our WR "Plex" even after a game for the ages in Green Bay, a Super Bowl win and gun in the sweat pants episode. lol

with all this in mind....Shouldn't this thread be called..."Is NIXON in jeopardy of being cut?

gmen46
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM
with all this in mind....Shouldn't this thread be called..."Is NIXON in jeopardy of being cut?

I know. The "n" being right below the "h" never seems to be an issue with Hixon, does it? Only with Nicks (aka "Hicks"). Hmmmmmm.

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 04:27 PM
with all this in mind....shouldn't this thread be called..."is nixon in jeopardy of being cut?

lmao............

fansince69
08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
lmao............

Instead of cutting him....maybe he should be impeached

NYG 5
08-26-2012, 04:40 PM
I always got a kick out of people calling (spelling) our WR "Plex" even after a game for the ages in Green Bay, a Super Bowl win and gun in the sweat pants episode. lol

well, Strahan used to call him "Pleck-thi-ko"

fansince69
08-26-2012, 04:47 PM
well, Strahan used to call him "Pleck-thi-ko"

lmao..i almost choked although it took me a second to get it

NWKEffectElement
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
That one 9 yard slant he caught Friday convinced me that he will be on the team. Maybe I'm over analyzing but that was a shot of Eli after that catch where he nodded toward the bench then he was taken out. It was a sort of 'we know what we have'. He is reliable when healthy and as the season plays out he could be there if injuries happen.

Buddy333
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
The Giants will be loyal to Hixon, but I wouldn't call it a sure lock. I mean he blew the same knee out twice in just about 1 year. He hasn't played much football in 2 years.

jomo
08-26-2012, 05:36 PM
well, Strahan used to call him "Pleck-thi-ko"haha, its one thing to fumble the pronunciation but when you spell it wrong you leave no doubt.

burier
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
From a business prospective would you give a player a new contract after one season? Not saying Cruz doesn't deserve one, but you are awarding a player after one (spectacular season) You also have to put into the equation the salary cap issues, we give Cruz that money, than Osi doesn't get his raise, and more than likely we don't give Kiwi an extension. As for Steve Smith, wasn't it reported that Reese and the Giants gave Smith a contract the year before he got hurt? And Smith turned it down. As for David Tyree, we all loved him for what he did for us, the greatest catch in the super bowl, the great play on special teams. But saying all that, he lasted what 1 more year with the Ravens and retired.

The Giants have some tough decisions to make this coming week, I think that's a good thing though. Competition brings the best out, and usually the best players are the one's who make it.

Actually failing to sign Cruz to a new contract is very poor business and the Giants better get their act together quick. Victor Cruz contributes more to the team than Kiwi or Osi and if he doubles up his performance from last season without a contract the Giants will be forced to Franchise him at season's end. This will result in his immediate departure following the 2013/2014 season due to the Giants Cap woes making it impossible for us to compete on the open market. Losing Victor Cruz in this fashion would be the biggest front office fail since Ditka drafted Ricky Williams.

I don't know how in love the Giants are with Hixon but I assume they love him pretty much so I don't see him getting cut. I also see him contributing next to nothing to the team beyond a positive attitude.

I said this prior to training camp "Should have let T2 walk and should have Let Hixon go too." (I'm sad to report that in T2s case I actually predicted that he would injure his knee again before the close of camp. I'm pretty sure Slipknot promised to quote me on that point.) Niether are of any use to us at this point.

The only thing I'd say is that if the Giants are offering contracts to guys because they think they're swell dudes they need to stop it.

Also I find the idea that Hixon provides "insurance" laughable. He's almost guaranteed to blow his knee out again.

nhpgiantsfan
08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Actually failing to sign Cruz to a new contract is very poor business and the Giants better get their act together quick. Victor Cruz contributes more to the team than Kiwi or Osi and if he doubles up his performance from last season without a contract the Giants will be forced to Franchise him at season's end. This will result in his immediate departure following the 2013/2014 season due to the Giants Cap woes making it impossible for us to compete on the open market. Losing Victor Cruz in this fashion would be the biggest front office fail since Ditka drafted Ricky Williams.

I don't know how in love the Giants are with Hixon but I assume they love him pretty much so I don't see him getting cut. I also see him contributing next to nothing to the team beyond a positive attitude.

I said this prior to training camp "Should have let T2 walk and should have Let Hixon go too." (I'm sad to report that in T2s case I actually predicted that he would injure his knee again before the close of camp. I'm pretty sure Slipknot promised to quote me on that point.) Niether are of any use to us at this point.

The only thing I'd say is that if the Giants are offering contracts to guys because they think they're swell dudes they need to stop it.

Also I find the idea that Hixon provides "insurance" laughable. He's almost guaranteed to blow his knee out again.

While I am not Hixon's biggest fan, you are going way overboard here. With Manningham leaving, the team needed to keep someone that they felt they could trust as the third receiver. The obviously don't trust JJ or Barden, and aren't ready to give the 3rd spot to a rookie. My guess is they chose Hixon to keep the seat warm for Randle. Not a bad decision at all.

lamas
08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I think that Hixon makes the team but I do find it a little interesting that his jersey is selling at a reduced price along with ex-giants Smith, Ross, Jacobs, and Boss at the giants shop. http://shop.giants.com/New_York_Giants_Jerseys/on_sale/yes

thomsoad
08-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Unless we keep 7 WR's I think Hixon is gone. He appears to have lost a step and out of the top 6 WR's we have...Hixon is the LEAST likely to be picked up by another team.

Moke
08-27-2012, 02:15 PM
At this point, Barden might even make the team over Hixon

GameTime
08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
feel bad for the kid. The injuires obviously put a huge dent in his career. Hopefully he gets on with another team of the Giants choose to let him go. He is well like within thr org for sure.

BlueJayC
08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Hixon is only 27.......granted he has had two knee surgeries.....but he's still fairly young, completely familiar with the playbook and serves multiple roles.....I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't make the 53 man roster......

Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Hixon, Barden and Jernigan.....if they're keeping 7....Douglas too.

burier
08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
While I am not Hixon's biggest fan, you are going way overboard here. With Manningham leaving, the team needed to keep someone that they felt they could trust as the third receiver. The obviously don't trust JJ or Barden, and aren't ready to give the 3rd spot to a rookie. My guess is they chose Hixon to keep the seat warm for Randle. Not a bad decision at all.

If we are/were considering using Hixon as a replacement for Manningham we're in deep trouble. I have nothing against Hixon. He actually had a nice run in 08 when Burress self-destructed...But I'd say as a rule we should separate ourselves from multiple ACLs.

Moke
08-27-2012, 02:26 PM
If we are/were every considering using Hixon as a replacement for Manningham we're in deep trouble. I have nothing against Hixon. Actually had a nice run in 08 when Burress self-destructed...But I'd say as a rule we should separate from ourselves from multiple ACLs.

Yep, multiple ACLs is awful and something scary to work with. I feel bad for Hixon but I am not sure if he can even play football again - that's just me maybe.

nycisgreat
08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I have to admit I have pondered exactly what you are saying...but my other thoughts are....Does the coaching staff already know what Hixon can do as a returner and are just looking at other possibilities

You add me to the list. I haven't seen much of him this preseason. You just have to wonder.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 02:44 PM
At this point, Barden might even make the team over Hixon

That would be a mistake IMO

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
maybe in a BILLION YEARS or something.

jomo
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
He's all good.

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 02:48 PM
hixon looked real good on that 4th down conversion vs the jets (IIRC coulda been da bears). I got the sense from Eli and TC's post game interview that they were kinda testing players out. like barden on that td, eli said he was going to him all the way and that he earned an opportunity so they gave it to him. that leads me to then believe that hixon is safe. if they were wondering bout hixon, they woulda forced the ball to him way more than they did. i think they know what they have in him WHEN HEALTHY, so they want to ensure they get him to the reg season healthy.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
You add me to the list. I haven't seen much of him this preseason. You just have to wonder.

His not playing much is for two reasons. One, to not put his knee under any unnecessary stress and, 2, they know what they have in Hixon and they don't need to find out what he can do since they already know. They re-signed him after he passed his physical following his second surgery. He comes relatively cheap and always does what he's asked and is where he's supposed to be on the field.

I haven't see anything yet in pre-season that would result in his not making the team.

G.I. Ants
08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Hixon is a lock, his versatility for being a proven reliable return specialist as well as big play deep threat confirms this.

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
maybe in like a billion years like I said case closed.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Cruz is not yet due a new contract so it's not poor business. Reese has correctly said "one great season doesn't make a great player." Now I am a huge Cruz fan and I agree with Reese. That being said, Reese has recently said a new contract is not out of the question for Cruz. I'm pretty sure if Cruz continues to play the way he has been, he sill see a lucrative extension before the season ends.

Dwinsballgames
08-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Cruz is not yet due a new contract so it's not poor business. Reese has correctly said "one great season doesn't make a great player." Now I am a huge Cruz fan and I agree with Reese. That being said, Reese has recently said a new contract is not out of the question for Cruz. I'm pretty sure if Cruz continues to play the way he has been, he sill see a lucrative extension before the season ends.

If you think about it it's actually very GOOD business.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
If you think about it it's actually very GOOD business.

Jerry Reese doesn't do junk!

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Jerry Reese doesn't do junk!
he signed cc brown haahahahaha

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 03:40 PM
His not playing much is for two reasons. One, to not put his knee under any unnecessary stress and, 2, they know what they have in Hixon and they don't need to find out what he can do since they already know. They re-signed him after he passed his physical following his second surgery. He comes relatively cheap and always does what he's asked and is where he's supposed to be on the field.

I haven't see anything yet in pre-season that would result in his not making the team.
i agree with the sentiment of your post. but i still think the giants would want to test his game speed which they havent really done. if u see a couple posts above urs i basically share ur thoughts, but while reading your post, it did cross my mind that the giants should have been curious as to hixons game speed and would have targeted him a little bit more...this doesnt change my opinion but it is a logical rebuttal to the "giants know what they have in hixon" theory. we KNEW what we had in hixon pre injury. i dont know how they could know post injury, bc practice is diff than game speed.

B-Red22
08-27-2012, 03:41 PM

my thoughts are you must be joking.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 03:42 PM

And then there was Sinorice Moss. But if you understood the GIANTS philosophy, you'd recognize that they give every player they draft every opportunity to perform. No process is perfect, yet by anyone's objective standards Reese & Co.hits the mark more often than not. The current project, Ramses Barden, may yet measure up to the potential they've seen in him while folks like me have been face palming his tenure here to date.

In Reese We Trust is not just a slogan to the well informed.

G.I. Ants
08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
CC Brown played because of critical injuries. He was also great against the run.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
i agree with the sentiment of your post. but i still think the giants would want to test his game speed which they havent really done. if u see a couple posts above urs i basically share ur thoughts, but while reading your post, it did cross my mind that the giants should have been curious as to hixons game speed and would have targeted him a little bit more...this doesnt change my opinion but it is a logical rebuttal to the "giants know what they have in hixon" theory. we KNEW what we had in hixon pre injury. i dont know how they could know post injury, bc practice is diff than game speed.

We'll have to wait and read the next cut of 22 players

G.I. Ants
08-27-2012, 03:45 PM
And then there was Sinorice Moss. But if you understood the GIANTS philosophy, you'd recognize that they give every player they draft every opportunity to perform. No process is perfect, yet by anyone's objective standards Reese & Co.hits the mark more often than not. The current project, Ramses Barden, may yet measure up to the potential they've seen in him while folks like me have been face palming his tenure here to date.

Sinorice Moss was a all-pro in the preseason, lol

GMENAGAIN
08-27-2012, 03:46 PM
CC Brown played because of critical injuries. He was also great against the run.
No aspect of CC Brown's game was "great"

fansince69
08-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Well that eliminates most of us...lol

G.I. Ants
08-27-2012, 04:07 PM
No aspect of CC Brown's game was "great"OK then, he was solid against the run.

jomo
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
OK then, he was solid against the run.Not sure how this Hixon thread morphed into CC Brown but actually he wasn't good at all against the run. He would hurl his body into oposing players with reckless abandon but didn't wrap up well. alot of guys just bounced off him.

G.I. Ants
08-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Not sure how this Hixon thread morphed into CC Brown but actually he wasn't good at all against the run. He would hurl his body into oposing players with reckless abandon but didn't wrap up well. alot of guys just bounced off him.I agree that we drifted far off topic. Hixon isn't going anywhere.

Kase-1
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Hixon is def on the hot seat.

He was a decent WR, a decent returner and he was constantly getting major injuries

He had an average run with us and now its time to find our #3 in the youth group. We should look for Eli #3 for years to come not for a season or 2

Morehead State
08-27-2012, 04:57 PM

He was a decent WR, a decent returner and he was constantly getting major injuries

He had an average run with us and now its time to find our #3 in the youth group. We should look for Eli #3 for years to come not for a season or 2

He was a great gunner Kase. I think he was resigned to play ST's and be the #4 or 5 WR. With Douglas playing as well as he is he may be gone (Hixon that is). Its probably the right move but I do love Hixon. But out with the old unfortunately.

jomo
08-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I agree that we drifted far off topic. Hixon isn't going anywhere.Agreed, no brainer....

Morehead State
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Agreed, no brainer....
Not sure about that. I definately don't think its a "no brainer". There are only so many roster spots. Douglas has been really sharp out there.
I doubt they will keep both.

YATittle1962
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Why would you hate Barden making it? Guy is a tremendous talent with great hands.

he catches 2 slants and a skinny post and now is a tremendous talent with great hands?

wow

maybe if he learns to run the big boy routes with any productivity what so ever he may have a chance of playing anything but special teams.....that is if he even makes the 53

the guy is even horrible on special teams

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 05:39 PM
he catches 2 slants and a skinny post and now is a tremendous talent with great hands?

wow

maybe if he learns to run the big boy routes with any productivity what so ever he may have a chance of playing anything but special teams.....that is if he even makes the 53

the guy is even horrible on special teams

Barden's special teams prowess will not save him a spot on the final 53.

YATittle1962
08-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Barden's special teams prowess will not save him a spot on the final 53.

agreed Roa

this guy is 6' 6" of non NFL receiver who can't even contribute on teams

Ramses Barden ....wasting a roster spot since 2009

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM

well hixon would be the best stop gap until we were confident in randle to take over the 3 spot for good...i could see the argument for hixon possibly being cut but i think it'd be more likely next season...its not like we really solved the return duties. if wilson or randle are gonna be as pivotal to the offense as i think they'll be, i wouldnt want either of em anywhere near return duties. hixon is worth his weight in gold when it comes to returns...

and hixon isnt exactly old either. iirc, he's only 26...

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 05:43 PM
agreed Roa

this guy is 6' 6" of non NFL receiver who can't even contribute on teams

Ramses Barden ....wasting a roster spot since 2009

I think there is a little in all of us that hopes he flips the switch to NFL all star, but after three years of waiting, proof is now required. It would not surprise me to see them keep him only to list him as inactive for more games than not.

YATittle1962
08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I think there is a little in all of us that hopes he flips the switch to NFL all star, but after three years of waiting, proof is now required. It would not surprise me to see them keep him only to list him as inactive for more games than not.

if he does get lucky and make this 53........he will be Ramses "Street Clothes" Barden more times than not

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 05:48 PM

His average run had him the leading team receiver in 2008 which included Amani Toomer and Steve Smith, he holds the franchise record for most all purpose yards in a game, and by any account of any coach on the team, he is dependable, runs pristine routes and has great hands. Someone in the "youth group" needs to step up

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
if he does get lucky and make this 53........he will be Ramses "Street Clothes" Barden more times than not

If history is any measure, you may well have hit the nail on the head. Wednesday's game may give us a hint. I think they will keep him through his contract as they did with Sinorice. Ever hopeful that his potential is realized.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
His average run had him the leading team receiver in 2008 which included Amani Toomer and Steve Smith, he holds the franchise record for most all purpose yards in a game, and by any account of any coach on the team, he is dependable, runs pristine routes and has great hands. Someone in the "youth group" needs to step up

Please don't get me wrong...I like Hixon......But is he healthy( as in maybe has lost a step or two)?Can he still do those things?has his time passed?are the coaches holding him back already knowing what he can do?....I do not know these answers and I am pretty sure no one else knows them either?....at this point it is all speculation by us

Morehead State
08-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Please don't get me wrong...I like Hixon......But is he healthy( as in maybe has lost a step or two)?Can he still do those things?has his time passed?are the coaches holding him back already knowing what he can do?....I do not know these answers and I am pretty sure no one else knows them either?....at this point it is all speculation by us
I say its 50/50 at best right now. What works in his favor is that we could use a vet in the WR corps. But the kids are coming after his job.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I say its 50/50 at best right now. What works in his favor is that we could use a vet in the WR corps. But the kids are coming after his job.

What do you know? you cant even get any friends

Morehead State
08-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Haha!! My first stalker.
I gotta say its pretty friggin awesome!

JesseJames
08-27-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't understand all this love for Jernigan, what has he shown so far to deserve it. In my opinion Douglas has shown far more in a lot less time and has a huge upside, so in my opinion if it comes down to it Jernigan gets the door and Douglas stays....

fansince69
08-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't understand all this love for Jernigan, what has he shown so far to deserve it. In my opinion Douglas has shown far more in a lot less time and has a huge upside, so in my opinion if it comes down to it Jernigan gets the door and Douglas stays....

sorry I disagree I saw him light it up in Albany last week......the potential is there...plus there is money invested

fansince69
08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
sorry I disagree I saw him light it up in Albany last week......the potential is there...plus there is money invested
whoops the week before...last day there he was the star of the scrimage

Morehead State
08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I think Douglas is staying too but I don't think its Jernigan that gets cut.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 06:09 PM

I can only go by what the coaches have said and they haven't indicated he's restricted in any way. He's gotten good press most days in training camp (Albany and TIMEX Center). I trust the judgment of the coaching staff. If Hixon is cut, then so be it. I just don't see any evidence that any other receiver bring his versatility to the table. That he's taken most of Nick's snaps in practice should tell us something as to the trust the coaches have in his ability to share the load.

Eli has described Hixon as a genuine down field threat.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 06:10 PM

As it should be. But none of the receivers has shown similar versatility on STs so far.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 06:12 PM

He has friends and I'm one of them.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
As it should be. But none of the receivers has shown similar versatility on STs so far.

Hixon has not either so far this year.....my question is....are the coaches holding him back or can't he do it as well as he did pre injury

fansince69
08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
He has friends and I'm one of them.

not according to the giggles wannabe

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Hixon has not either so far this year.....my question is....are the coaches holding him back or can't he do it as well as he did pre injury

They just re-signed him. Reese is not known for throwing salary dollars away for anyone.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 06:14 PM

I rest my case, source considered

fansince69
08-27-2012, 06:16 PM
They just re-signed him. Reese is not know for throwing salary dollars away for anyone.

I understand that and you are right....but there is a difference between being cleared medically....and then being able to be the same on the field.....not saying that is the case....just wondering why hes been pretty invisible....and doing NO return work at all

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
I can only go by what the coaches have said and they haven't indicated he's restricted in any way. He's gotten good press most days in training camp (Albany and TIMEX Center). I trust the judgment of the coaching staff. If Hixon is cut, then so be it. I just don't see any evidence that any other receiver bring his versatility to the table. That he's taken most of Nick's snaps in practice should tell us something as to the trust the coaches have in his ability to share the load.

Eli has described Hixon as a genuine down field threat.

i think what may be unrealistic about your stance is that you are describing hixons play from 2008 and going "see, that's why he's staying"(the most all purpose yards game, the leading yards, etc. points you've risen).
thats why i was a lil confused with the giants not really testing hixon at all in any of the preseason games except for a 4th down and 2. you'd think they'd want to see him go 100%. Unless they are worried he could re-injure himself? but if thats the case, why would that worry disappear in the reg. season when he has to play more snaps vs harder competition?

i dunno, originally i thought he was a lock to make the team. it may very well be 50/50 at this point. the fact he took some of nicks reps early in TC means nothing really, besides that he's got the most experience with the playbook and u want things running smoothly at camp (it wastes time having to explain every little thing to younger guys, esp when u have a vet who can just show by example).

also, randle got more and more playing time as preseason went on, and JR/TC/MRoss all said he's nfl ready...and it seems like they are trying their damdest to find a legit return guy. Unless Douglass really isnt getting the attention from the coaches like we all think they do and they just put him out there to make sure no one got hurt?

i dunno, its tough to tell. i'd say that it is fair to think hixon is not a lock at all...he could even be cut...its not like he's above getting cut...

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 06:39 PM

as the creator of the giggles disease over at the cowboys board that spread and contracted thru a cowboys fan that came here and re-unleashed it on us, that poster is nothing like "giggles". i made giggles witty and sarcastic, and trolled the cowboys team and not posters. i'd say that poster just has an issue with MS and doesnt quite understand the internet completely just yet...

Drez
08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Also, here's why it's good business to not have signed him earlier. There's a certain cut-off date during the season (I have no clue when it is anymore, but I think it's somewhere around week 4 or 6) where any additional money he'd be due this year for salary or signing bonus won't count against this year's cap.

It also gives the team insurance against the very unlikely event that he was a one year wonder.

bklyn1028
08-27-2012, 06:47 PM
my thoughts are you must be joking.

Why would he be joking? I also like Nixon, uhhhhh I mean Hixon. I would hate for him to get cut, but believe it or not, I think Douglas deserves a spot over him and Jernigan. I am not that fond of Barden either.

But you know what
We're all arm-chair coaches/GMs/owners, QBs...etc and this is nothing more than what that gorgeous blonde (pity she was from the isle of lesbos) sang a very long time ago:

"Wishin and hopin"...etc...

fansince69
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
as the creator of the giggles disease over at the cowboys board that spread and contracted thru a cowboys fan that came here and re-unleashed it on us, that poster is nothing like "giggles". i made giggles witty and sarcastic, and trolled the cowboys team and not posters. i'd say that poster just has an issue with MS and doesnt quite understand the internet completely just yet...

I meant no offense to you.....but I am also getting that the Giggles that came here was not you?cause the one on this board as I remember kept getting banned and then came back with giggle 1 and then giggles 2 ect....and I did say wannabe...implying he wasn't the real deal...just being annoying....it was a joke

Drez
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM

And even though Hixon may not have gotten many targets so far in preseason it doesn't mean that the team can't evaluate how he's running routes/getting separation, etc.

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I meant no offense to you.....but I am also getting that the Giggles that came here was not you?cause the one on this board as I remember kept getting banned and then came back with giggle 1 and then giggles 2 ect....and I did say wannabe...implying he wasn't the real deal...just being annoying....it was a joke

oh u took me seriously? i was kidding around too. yeah i created the giggles account on the cowboys mb. id get banned and make giggles 1, 2,3 etc etc los giggles...etc etc...now, i know its pathetic. i just couldnt really move, i was ordered to bed rest while i recovered from surgery and it was hilarious. but yeah, back to the topic at hand...

i didnt know it'd become a virus and spread. theres been giggles all over the NFCE MB's lol

giantsfan420
08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
And even though Hixon may not have gotten many targets so far in preseason it doesn't mean that the team can't evaluate how he's running routes/getting separation, etc.

i dunno. i think game speed will always differ from practice speed. it was tough for me at least to go as hard as I would in games at practice

Drez
08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
i dunno. i think game speed will always differ from practice speed. it was tough for me at least to go as hard as I would in games at practice
Right, and he's been playing in games, no? But, just not getting a lot of looks? Production isn't the evaluating tool coaches have for player performance.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Right, and he's been playing in games, no? But, just not getting a lot of looks? Production isn't the evaluating tool coaches have for player performance.

he has done nothing on special teams....that seems to be the main argument for him....as I asked before...are the coaches just looking elsewhere or is he not capable any more?I am glad the coaches have to make these decisions.....personally...if he is still the Hixon we remember...great....if he is not quite the same guy...maybe a youth movement is in store

Drez
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
he has done nothing on special teams....that seems to be the main argument for him....as I asked before...are the coaches just looking elsewhere or is he not capable any more?I am glad the coaches have to make these decisions.....personally...if he is still the Hixon we remember...great....if he is not quite the same guy...maybe a youth movement is in store

I know that I had read that they weren't really working him on specials in order to not overwork him during the preseason. I'm not going to search through all of the camp's worth of quotes on twitter and practice write-ups to find a quote, but I do know that TC said it.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 07:58 PM

He returns punt/kicks in practice every day

jintsfan666
08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
HIxon knows every receiver position in the playbook.....do you have any idea how valuable that is?

In the last seven years of Hixon's career the Giants have played at least 120 regular and post season games.

How many of those 120 games do you think Hixon was healthy enough to play in?

I'll give you a hint.

It is less than 50.

Drez
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
In the last seven years of Hixon's career the Giants have played at least 120 regular and post season games.

I'll give you a hint.

It is less than 50.
And I'll tell you that you are wrong. Not counting the post-season, he's played in 59 games. Including the playoffs, it's 64.

Antwuan
08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I hope not I like Hixon when healthy he is very valuable to our special teams and he is a solid WR.

BlueSanta
08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
I do not think he is in the "lock" category. But, he is pretty close.

This is a guy who plays special teams and can line up at any WR spot on the field.

People forget, prior to his injury last year this was the guy who was going to be our starting slot WR over Victor Cruz.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 10:23 PM
And I'll tell you that you are wrong. Not counting the post-season, he's played in 59 games. Including the playoffs, it's 64.

Can no one be trusted?????

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 10:23 PM

I'll give you a hint.

It is less than 50.

Do you think the coaches and Jerry Reese know that?

Drez
08-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Can no one be trusted?????

On the internets many people are too lazy to fact check their opinions, lol. I've just grown accustomed to independently verifying things. Especially something that is easily verifiable.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
On the internets many people are too lazy to fact check their opinions, lol. I've just grown accustomed to independently verifying things. Especially something that is easily verifiable.

I think he is also the last GIANT to return a punt for a TD (2009)

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 10:29 PM

You will have to show me where to get those details as I am interested but never seem to get the right links.

Drez
08-27-2012, 10:34 PM

I'll give you a hint.

It is less than 50.
And since Hixon has been a Giant (as it's completely pointless to talk about before he got here), we've played a total of 83 regular and post-season games.

RoanokeFan
08-27-2012, 10:35 PM
And since Hixon has been a Giant (as it's completely pointless to talk about before he got here), we've played a total of 83 regular and post-season games.

We should change your username to OFFICIAL:_ FACT_CHECKER ;)

Ballllinnnnnnn
08-27-2012, 10:40 PM

thank you. anyone saying he isnt the number 3 on opening day is clueless

Drez
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
I was just looking at it again, and I was like, wow 120 games is A LOT of games played since '07. As it turns out, it was way too many games, lol.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
He returns punt/kicks in practice every day

the day I was at practice he never returned any...Holsey Jernigan and Douglass the only ones

G.I. Ants
08-27-2012, 11:14 PM
the day I was at practice he never returned any...Holsey Jernigan and Douglass the only onesSmart ti let the other guys get reps at the position because the simple fact that Hixon had 2 major knee injuries in as many years. We already know what Hixon can do as a return specialist. Douglass being out there shows that Barden may be in danger.

ksmooth22
08-28-2012, 04:43 AM
I think because of his experience and knowledge of the playbook that Hixon is a lock. He is a great insurance policy should there be an injury. I am not so sure that Douglas is in, even though he had a good camp. I don't see them giving up on JJ yet and Barden may haves saved himself last night.

I dont like Barden at all, I rather have Jerrnigan, Bardan is too plain the only thing he has is size he is very slow and doesnt belong on this squad, its time for his departure, i rather have an injured hixson then bardan, and this douglas guy? no thanks. our wideouts should be the obvious, nicks, cruz, randle, hixon, jerrnigan, and maybe steinbach or whatever his name is, i think he is very overlooked.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 07:29 AM
the day I was at practice he never returned any...Holsey Jernigan and Douglass the only ones

So you see, he didn't need more practice.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 07:34 AM
So you see, he didn't need more practice.

or they have decided he has lost a step....this is what I am asking....does anyone know which it is?

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM

I guess I'm one of the clueless ones because the Giants have a load of young uninjured talent at WR and might not want to risk that on the practice squad. As much as I like Hixon, his injury history does not work in his favor.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
I guess I'm one of the clueless ones because the Giants have a load of young uninjured talent at WR and might not want to risk that on the practice squad. As much as I like Hixon, his injury history does not work in his favor.

I think Hixon is the #3 on opening day, no question.

We go 3 wide almost 50% of the snaps, does someone really think the coaches will give those 30 snaps to Randle and Barden ? No way.
Young talent and promising draft picks are good, they are not opening day starters though.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I think Hixon is the #3 on opening day, no question.

We go 3 wide almost 50% of the snaps, does someone really think the coaches will give those 30 snaps to Randle and Barden ? No way.
Young talent and promising draft picks are good, they are not opening day starters though.

Yes because guys like Colston and AJ Green and Julio Jones didn't make an impact from day one

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes because guys like Colston and AJ Green and Julio Jones didn't make an impact from day one

4th and 6th overall VS 63rd overall ...
It's like comparing Osweiler to Luck.

Randle doesn't look ready, his route running is suspect for one.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 09:55 AM

you said young talented draft picks don't start on opening day....Colston was drafted very low....Im not saying you aren't right IN THIS case...but you made a general statement that wasn't correct

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Randle doesn't look ready, his route running is suspect for one.

You could be right, but I think the Giants might be concerned with Hixon's ability to stay on the field more than his ability to play on the field.

You just might see Hixon wearing green this year.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:57 AM
but you made a general statement that wasn't correct

I guess I did.

Anyway, our promising draft picks won't start on opening day. Unless someone's hammy or ACL acts out ....

You could be right, but I think the Giants might be concerned with Hixon's ability to stay on the field more than his ability to play on the field.

That may very well be the case, but what did they do last season when he got hurt ?
Granted Cruz isn't a 2nd round pick, but still, they had a young guy with talent and went outside the organization. I'm not saying they will do the same if Hixon is out, but it shows the way they do things imo.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I guess I did.

Anyway, our promising draft picks won't start on opening day. Unless someone's hammy or ACL acts out ....

Now I agree...lol I think on paper Hixon is number 3 ...I just wish I knew if he isn't getting playing time....returning punts ect....because coaches are being cautious or because they know something about his knee that we don't

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
I guess I did.

That may very well be the case, but what did they do last season when he got hurt ?
Granted Cruz isn't a 2nd round pick, but still, they had a young guy with talent and went outside the organization. I'm not saying they will do the same if Hixon is out, but it shows the way they do things imo.

When they signed Stokely it was because they felt they needed a slot guy and weren't sure Cruz would fit the bill. Now Cruz "slots in" nicely and they would use Barden, Randle and Douglas to play wide. Barden stepping up last week not only may have saved Barden his job, but cost Hixon his.

That being said, it was only one game and if Barden disappears again this week, the tables could be reversed. I thought it was very telling that Douglas was returning punts at the beginning of the game. I know they like Hosely there and he was hurt, but you didn't see Jernigan or Hixon in that spot.

I think Hixon is going to be cut and picked up by the Jets and play well for them. But I've been wrong before.

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Now I agree...lol I think on paper Hixon is number 3 ...I just wish I knew if he isn't getting playing time....returning punts ect....because coaches are being cautious or because they know something about his knee that we don't
Personally I don't think he's #3 right now, nor do I think they ever intended him to be #3.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Personally I don't think he's #3 right now, nor do I think they ever intended him to be #3.

So who's 3 ?

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
So who's 3 ?
I think they are still searching. I'm sure they hope its either JJ, Randall or Barden.
I just think they signed Hixon as a ST guy who can fill in as a #4 or #5 WR. They don't want a #3 playing ST if they can help it.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I think they are still searching. I'm sure they hope its either JJ, Randall or Barden.
I just think they signed Hixon as a ST guy who can fill in as a #4 or #5 WR. They don't want a #3 playing ST if they can help it.
Much like the #2 CB spot (for now) the #3 WR postion will ne a rotation till someone really steps up with consistency in the routes and reads.

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Much like the #2 CB spot (for now) the #3 WR postion will ne a rotation till someone really steps up with consistency in the routes and reads.
That could very well be right. By mid season though, I think its Randle's job to lose. Too much ability and great hands.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
That could very well be right. By mid season though, I think its Randle's job to lose. Too much ability and great hands.

That's the hope.

I still think Hixon gets 20 snaps week 1.

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 11:33 AM
That's the hope.

I still think Hixon gets 20 snaps week 1.
I can't predict the future but I would be shocked if that happens.

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprise to see Wilson in the passing game lined up outside. Thats a kid that needs a lot of snaps.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
I can't predict the future but I would be shocked if that happens.

Randle #3 mid season or Hixon #3 in a week ?

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Randle #3 mid season or Hixon #3 in a week ?
No..I'd be shocked to see Hixon get 20 snaps on offense.
Now let me say this,....I can see a scenario where they pull Hixon off ST detail to play at #3, but I still think thats unlikely. I expect some unusual packages out there from KG. Stuff we hadn't seen in pre season. Hopefully involving David Wilson.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Agreed.....

BParcells777
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Who are you talking about? Certainly not Hixon.

LOL No I'm talking about Dez Bryant...........of course I'm talking about Hixon.......some of the youngsters showed up big in the pre-season
Hixon will play the Blackburn role this season and be re-signed mid season after we get the normal alotment of season ending injuries to the WR corp

Mod_C
08-28-2012, 02:06 PM
LOL No I'm talking about Dez Bryant...........of course I'm talking about Hixon.......some of the youngsters showed up big in the pre-season
Hixon will play the Blackburn role this season and be re-signed mid season after we get the normal alotment of season ending injuries to the WR corp

Hixon has already been re-signed

fansince69
08-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Hixon has already been re-signed

I think he's implying Hixon will be cut and the resigned like Blackburn was last year

Mod_C
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I think he's implying Hixon will be cut and the resigned like Blackburn was last year

If they release him, will he clear waivers? I don 't think so. Despite the negative sentiment here, he has talents other teams could use. He's already making chum change.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
If they release him, will he clear waivers? I don 't think so. Despite the negative sentiment here, he has talents other teams could use. He's already making chum change.

Im not arguing with you or agreeing with him...I was just trying to explain his answer to you

In all honesty I don't think we as fans have enough information (like the coaching staff)...to come on here and act like we know all this stuff......I know I do not

Morehead State
08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Well how many WR's will we keep? 6?
If so we have Nicks, Cruz, Randle then I guess its Barden, JJ, Hixon and Douglas. One of those four will be cut I suppose. Can't see us quitting on JJ, and I can't see them dumping Douglas either after his great returning performance. I still think it could be Hixon to be cut over Barden. But its a tough call.
Glad I'm not TC. (actually thats not true, I would love to be the Giants HC)

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Well how many WR's will we keep? 6?
If so we have Nicks, Cruz, Randle then I guess its Barden, JJ, Hixon and Douglas. One of those four will be cut I suppose. Can't see us quitting on JJ, and I can't see them dumping Douglas either after his great returning performance. I still think it could be Hixon to be cut over Barden. But its a tough call.
Glad I'm not TC. (actually thats not true, I would love to be the Giants HC)

Tomorrow's game will be the decider

SackingMyths
08-28-2012, 03:05 PM

Ed Valentine of bigblueview agrees that Hixon may be a painful cut to make:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/8/28/3273305/new-york-giants-53-man-roster-prediction-trrell-thomas-shaun-rogers-marvin-austin

It's far from a lock, I get that. But how certain people are making Hixon out to be uncuttable is absurd. Bet with your head, not your heart.

Again, I'm a HUGE fan of Hixon. But from a pure business decision, and with too many other positions decimated by injuries, there aren't enough spots to go around for nice guys, who do their job, but clearly aren't the same players they were BACK IN 2008/2009 (which some choose to cling to).

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Ed Valentine of bigblueview agrees that Hixon may be a painful cut to make:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/8/28/3273305/new-york-giants-53-man-roster-prediction-trrell-thomas-shaun-rogers-marvin-austin

It's far from a lock, I get that. But how certain people are making Hixon out to be uncuttable is absurd. Bet with your head, not your heart.

Again, I'm a HUGE fan of Hixon. But from a pure business decision, and with too many other positions decimated by injuries, there aren't enough spots to go around for nice guys, who do their job, but clearly aren't the same players they were BACK IN 2008/2009 (which some choose to cling to).

No one, except for Eli maybe, in "uncuttable."

GiantVibes
08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I love how there are 18 pages of replies to this :strahan:

Sanntee31
08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
No one, except for Eli maybe, in "uncuttable."

#FACT

I feel Hixon stays and Jerrigan goes. He has S. Moss written all over him. Great in OTA's, Camp & Practice....but doesnt translate that to games. But what do I know...

Mod_C
08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
#FACT

I feel Hixon stays and Jerrigan goes. He has S. Moss written all over him. Great in OTA's, Camp & Practice....but doesnt translate that to games. But what do I know...

None of us KNOW anything, but here we are all the same :popcorn:

Sanntee31
08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
None of us KNOW anything, but here we are all the same :popcorn:

LOL!!! I hope its just not another Moss situation...where the Giants and fans are waiting and waiting and the big bang is nothing more than a little poof

miked1958
08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Why can't they hold onto 7? If not they'd have to cut JJ IMO. Too much Redzone potential with barden to give up on him and I think Douglas has already showed enough in his receiving and return game to beat out JJ. He has done more in two games then JJ has done since he has been here

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
LOL!!! I hope its just not another Moss situation...where the Giants and fans are waiting and waiting and the big bang is nothing more than a little poof

If I've learned anything about the GIANTS it's that they make excellent personnel decisions most of the time. I'm a big fan of Hixon, but if they release him, then he's a former player and we move on. I haven't seen any other receiver behind Nicks and Cruz bring the versatility that Hixon does, but I don't see these players through the same lens as the coaching staff does.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Why can't they hold onto 7? If not they'd have to cut JJ IMO. Too much Redzone potential with barden to give up on him and I think Douglas has already showed enough in his receiving and return game to beat out JJ. He has done more in two games then JJ has done since he has been here

They can, but will they?

DownWitJPP
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Hixon's going nowhere u can bet on that. The coaching staff and front office love the guy and he's really versatile

Drez
08-28-2012, 03:51 PM
or they have decided he has lost a step....this is what I am asking....does anyone know which it is?
Or they decided that it wasn't worth any unnecessary risk as they know what he can do, which is what TC had said in one of the million pressers during camp.

Drez
08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Then why was he taking most of Nicks snaps in practice?

jomo
08-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Or they decided that it wasn't worth any unnecessary risk as they know what he can do, which is what TC had said in one of the million pressers during camp.The guy is coming off an acl. Every extra week of not overdoing it is significant. If healthy, he is our #3 WR and best KO, PR guy. We know exactly what he is capable of. We are much better off using pre-season touches to evaluate the rest of them. No need to push him earlier than necessary.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Or they decided that it wasn't worth any unnecessary risk as they know what he can do, which is what TC had said in one of the million pressers during camp.

One thing we know, they resigned him in March. The rest is pure speculation.

GMENAGAIN
08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
You know that JJ is not getting cut

Drez
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't think he needs to clear waivers. I'm pretty sure he has enough vested years where he'd just become a FA. Either way, I don't see him sitting on a couch until November. Another team will pick him up, even as a STer.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think he needs to clear waivers. I'm pretty sure he has enough vested years where he'd just become a FA. Either way, I don't see him sitting on a couch until November. Another team will pick him up, even as a STer.

He does still have a lot of upside

jomo
08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
This thread has strong legs for what I consider a no brainer.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
This thread has strong legs for what I consider a no brainer.

We fans tend to get antsy at cut time. Hopeful for out favorites, shocked about talk of losing them, and opinionated about everything else lol

Sanntee31
08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
If I've learned anything about the GIANTS it's that they make excellent personnel decisions most of the time. I'm a big fan of Hixon, but if they release him, then he's a former player and we move on. I haven't seen any other receiver behind Nicks and Cruz bring the versatility that Hixon does, but I don't see these players through the same lens as the coaching staff does.

True and well said...I personally hope he stays. (from a fans point)

jomo
08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
We fans tend to get antsy at cut time. Hopeful for out favorites, shocked about talk of losing them, and opinionated about everything else lolI am always moved at how emotional Coughlin gets at cut time. He knows how hard these guys all work and it is really a difficult time for him. He is a class act and makes me proud to root for this team.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I am always moved at how emotional Coughlin gets at cut time. He knows how hard these guys all work and it is really a difficult time for him. He is a class act and makes me proud to root for this team.

I completely agree

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I am always moved at how emotional Coughlin gets at cut time. He knows how hard these guys all work and it is really a difficult time for him. He is a class act and makes me proud to root for this team.

I'm also pulling for your nephew :o

Shockeystays08
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
#FACT

Here's another fact. Considering how well JJ has done in camp (numerous top 5 plays ) he has been given little opportunity to perform in a game. The only time he has got to work with Eli was the first game when he was mugged in the end zone and then Eli had a bad throw to him. in game 2 JJ only got to work with Carr. He had 1 catch where he got clobbered just as the ball arrived - but held on and then took a 4 yard pass 19 yards showing great exceleration and quickness. He got rewarded for that by getting only 9 snaps last game. He got targeted once. He ran a great route got wide open and Carr throws it in the turf 5 yards short. His opportunities have been pathetic. It is very puzzling though why in the all important 3rd preseason game he was an after thought in regard to getting quality snaps. Douglas, Depalma, Stanback and Barden were given more of a chance to show what they had. Now JJ maybe get's his chance in the 4th game with the borderline guys? If we cut him which I doubt we do, it may come back and burn us. Dallas wanted to draft him last year. But what do I know as you say!

BParcells777
08-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Yes that is exactly what I was implying. He will clear wavers because of his injury history

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes that is exactly what I was implying. He will clear wavers because of his injury history

Vets don't go through waivers.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Here's another fact. Considering how well JJ has done in camp (numerous top 5 plays ) he has been given little opportunity to perform in a game. The only time he has got to work with Eli was the first game when he was mugged in the end zone and then Eli had a bad throw to him. in game 2 JJ only got to work with Carr. He had 1 catch where he got clobbered just as the ball arrived - but held on and then took a 4 yard pass 19 yards showing great exceleration and quickness. He got rewarded for that by getting only 9 snaps last game. He got targeted once. He ran a great route got wide open and Carr throws it in the turf 5 yards short. His opportunities have been pathetic. It is very puzzling though why in the all important 3rd preseason game he was an after thought in regard to getting quality snaps. Douglas, Depalma, Stanback and Barden were given more of a chance to show what they had. Now JJ maybe get's his chance in the 4th game with the borderline guys? If we cut him which I doubt we do, it may come back and burn us. Dallas wanted to draft him last year. But what do I know as you say!

It could simply be that Jernigan is a high enough draft pick to assure him a spot. So they will work everyone else until they can eliminate whoever gets cut. We really can't read a lot into pre-season assignments.

Shockeystays08
08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
It could simply be that Jernigan is a high enough draft pick to assure him a spot. So they will work everyone else until they can eliminate whoever gets cut. We really can't read a lot into pre-season assignments.

Well RoanokeFan, your usually dead on with your assessments so here's hoping you hit the nail on the head.....again!
That thought process crossed my mind but JJ needs some quality reps in a game. Maybe vs the Pats if Carr can manage to get him the ball. It would be nice to get Jerny some reps with Eli but the Giants staff don't seem to be to concerned with that.

MattMeyerBud
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
his name is NIcks

are you being serious?

i agree

and i do think we probably keep 7 at WR

fansince69
08-28-2012, 07:02 PM

All the things I have said about Jernigan on numerous occasions...in different threads all wrapped into one nice story....thank you.....all I can say is the day I was at practice(last day at Albany) he was the star of practice that day....really opened my eyes to how quick...how well he gets open...and how well he moves after he catches the ball.....I know everyone on these boards is down on him cause of a couple punt muffs....but I am telling you guys he can be electric

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Well RoanokeFan, your usually dead on with your assessments so here's hoping you hit the nail on the head.....again!
That thought process crossed my mind but JJ needs some quality reps in a game. Maybe vs the Pats if Carr can manage to get him the ball. It would be nice to get Jerny some reps with Eli but the Giants staff don't seem to be to concerned with that.

I've never thought Jernigan was cannon fodder and I'm not sure why some think he has so many detractors here.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 07:18 PM

You know, the coaches should, by now, know what areas each player needs development in and will insert them into games situatoinally. Amani Toomer, after leaving the team, was interviewed and said he sucked (my paraphrase) in his first two years. He didn't turn out so bad.

Evo'Ed
08-28-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't see why so many are high on David Douglas.

He had one nice return which was called back by an illegal block.

jomo
08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm also pulling for your nephew :oHe a fine upstanding young man!!

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Yeah, same here, I don't see how he could ever be picked over Hixon who's being playing with the 1s ever since Nicks went down (pratice and games).

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
He a fine upstanding young man!!

I like those Irish lads...O'Jomo

SackingMyths
08-28-2012, 09:36 PM

But keep in mind that he's played less than one half so far in preseason...and with that tiny sample size he's done very well on returns, and made a few nice catches, esp. from Perriloux in the Jets game.

All the beat writers have consistently had glowing reviews of him in their training camp practice reports, and TC specifically singled him out to praise him as well, on more than one occasion.

That's where the Douglas bandwagon's confidence in him is coming from. I'm thinking we'll all see plenty of him tomorrow and it'll all sort itself out.

jomo
08-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I like those Irish lads...O'JomoRhymes with what cowboy fans groan when their quarterback throws another ill timed interception. Think about it. :wink:(wink)

Eliscruzzz
08-29-2012, 01:01 AM
I don't know I'm kinda of thinking that he going to or we might just keep 6 WR's cause of the injury to Nicks while not serious you still need a viable backup. He's a stand up dude and I wish him we'll but you gotta think it's going to be Nicks, Cruz, Barden with Randle eventually taking the #3 I also think we keep JJ.

shotgundraw
09-09-2012, 06:38 AM
No..I'd be shocked to see Hixon get 20 snaps on offense.
Now let me say this,....I can see a scenario where they pull Hixon off ST detail to play at #3, but I still think thats unlikely. I expect some unusual packages out there from KG. Stuff we hadn't seen in pre season. Hopefully involving David Wilson.

He got 27, yeah ;)

OX1
09-09-2012, 07:08 AM
He got 27, yeah ;)

Any more threads you want to waste our time monday morning QBing with??

shotgundraw
09-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Any more threads you want to waste our time monday morning QBing with??

I actually I "predicted" (or guessed) that he would have more than 20 and we disagreed so I just went back on the subject, as a friendly joke :)

No need to turn from an ox to a ***** :)