PDA

View Full Version : Rivers flowing!

Shockeystays08
08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
This guy has been active and productive. Best addition to the D. Wilson best addition to the O!

Captain Chaos
08-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I've liked what I've seen out of Rivers, great pick up. Can't wait to see what they do with him and Boley when he finally gets back.

BigBlueBomber
08-25-2012, 12:44 PM
If kiwi's groin keeps him out, I wouldn't mind seeing Rivers, Boley, Herz/J Will

Toadofsteel
08-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Not worried about LB at all, even with Kiwi's injury.

Flip Empty
08-25-2012, 02:50 PM
What are you guys talking about? YouTube said he was rubbish when the Giants traded for him.

jomo
08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
He's looking like a steal at this point.

myles2424
08-25-2012, 03:19 PM
What are you guys talking about? YouTube said he was rubbish when the Giants traded for him.

Also half of the people on here nearly commited suicide when we drafted Wilson......Most people around these parts wanted Mike Adams..

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 03:21 PM

YouTube?....

giantsfan420
08-25-2012, 03:21 PM
rivers is looking every bit the part of 9th overall selection of the 2009 (IIRC) draft

primetime
08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
rivers is looking every bit the part of 9th overall selection of the 2009 (IIRC) draft

And to think, we got a 1st round talent for a 5th round draft pick. Thank you Jerry Reese.

GMan-67
08-25-2012, 05:14 PM
it's looking like a great move, esp. with Boley and Kiwi nicked up ... even if/when we get 100% healthy, there is no question that Rivers will be part of certain LB packages

in fact, even the Rodgers injury opens up more LBer playing time, since Kiwi might end up getting a few more snaps at D-line, at least until Canty comes back

JesseJames
08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Rivers gives us another dimension at LBer that we've been starving for, a LBer with coverage skills and the speed to go sideline to sideline

NWKEffectElement
08-25-2012, 06:04 PM
MB is the best addition to the O due to the excellant blocking display so far this preseason.

zimonami
08-25-2012, 07:03 PM
YouTube?....
My same thought. You Tube speaks?
I thought it was, for a 5th rnd., a very safe pick for JR that could pay dividends. I hope he pans out cuz I've been dying for a better LB Corp for too long. Some very good signs, especially the continued progress from Herz.

derekunion28
08-25-2012, 07:38 PM
really liking rivers and black unicorn pick up...

Flip Empty
08-25-2012, 08:27 PM
YouTube?....
After the trade, numerous skewed videos of his performances for the Bengals were posted. People bemoaned the fact that Reese had given up a fifth for him.

jomo
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
My same thought. You Tube speaks?
I thought it was, for a 5th rnd., a very safe pick for JR that could pay dividends. I hope he pans out cuz I've been dying for a better LB Corp for too long. Some very good signs, especially the continued progress from Herz........best lb group in many years and most of them are very young.

jimmie ray
08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
If they can pickup on the coverage skills within the LB group this season, and the front four continue to provide little time for the opposing QB - well, thats just not fair to any other team.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 12:10 AM

He was the 9th player drafted and if he remains healthy will be the steal of the season. He is an absolute stud LB that was grabbed for a 5th round pick. his injuries are not to his legs and his speed and lateral ability are by far his best attributes.
Though having no clue about the scheme he was brought into Rivers is the reason Boley was asked to start learning MLB in camp. If he keeps this up there could be some special play from this unit this season.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 12:17 AM
After the trade, numerous skewed videos of his performances for the Bengals were posted. People bemoaned the fact that Reese had given up a fifth for him.
Whoever bemoaned this trade has no idea what they are watching. The trade was literally a steal, even with the injury gamble. Rivers, when on the field at Cincy, in a scheme that features power and area control over lateral speed, was a monster flowing to the ball. That being said he was a LB who broke his jaw and was held out with some questionable "stingers". Great athletic upside, great ball reaction and knifes through blockers at the point of attack. Does open his shoulders up a little too much but that is something coaching will correct.
Great trade, and could wind up being even greater if he stays healthy.

fansince69
08-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Whoever bemoaned this trade has no idea what they are watching. The trade was literally a steal, even with the injury gamble. Rivers, when on the field at Cincy, in a scheme that features power and area control over lateral speed, was a monster flowing to the ball. That being said he was a LB who broke his jaw and was held out with some questionable "stingers". Great athletic upside, great ball reaction and knifes through blockers at the point of attack. Does open his shoulders up a little too much but that is something coaching will correct.
Great trade, and could wind up being even greater if he stays healthy.

It seemed that there were far more voicing the opinion that a 5th round pick was too much to give up and that Reese was a fool.....Personally I don't see how we could go wrong...it was a 5th round pick for Christ sake for a guy with huge upside.......now everyone is on the Rivers bandwagon....its very comical

giantsfan420
08-26-2012, 12:33 AM
It seemed that there were far more voicing the opinion that a 5th round pick was too much to give up and that Reese was a fool.....Personally I don't see how we could go wrong...it was a 5th round pick for Christ sake for a guy with huge upside.......now everyone is on the Rivers bandwagon....its very comical
really? i remember one, maybe 2 ppl who didnt like the trade and thought a 5th was too much. Rainier was one of them...

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 12:37 AM

I am new to this stuff, so I have no idea what people talked about on message boards, but I am shocked to hear that anyone could have possibly questioned a trade for such a high talent player for such a low pick. I apologize if my message came across wrong, I will tell you that it was viewed as a steal by most folks just on the upside. A broken jaw is a wierd injury, it affects people differently, but clearly the cobwebs are gone at this point.

TheEnigma
08-26-2012, 12:50 AM
It's too early to tell who really got the better end of the deal on the Keith Rivers trade. The Bengals have an underrated roster on the defensive side of the ball and didn't really need Keith Rivers so to them, they were essentially getting a free 5th rounder. To Reese and the Giants, it was trading an unknown player (now George Iloka) for a player who is gifted athletically and shows versatility in his game. We won't know who gets the better end of this deal until a few years later.

RagTime Blue
08-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Whoever bemoaned this trade has no idea what they are watching. The trade was literally a steal, even with the injury gamble. .

"Literally" means actual. "Virtually a steal". "Akin to a steal". "Figurative theft". "A great deal".

zimonami
08-26-2012, 01:06 AM
"Literally" means actual. "Virtually a steal". "Akin to a steal". "Figurative theft". "A great deal".
too many pulls on that hooka

bearbryant
08-26-2012, 02:33 AM
So far, KR has shown some of the reasons why he was drafted where he was. He's shown drive, talent and has been playing like a first rounder should play!

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
It's too early to tell who really got the better end of the deal on the Keith Rivers trade. The Bengals have an underrated roster on the defensive side of the ball and didn't really need Keith Rivers so to them, they were essentially getting a free 5th rounder. To Reese and the Giants, it was trading an unknown player (now George Iloka) for a player who is gifted athletically and shows versatility in his game. We won't know who gets the better end of this deal until a few years later.

As is always the case, but the Giants got the far greater value in the trade, injuries are the only thing that could make the value of the trade close. I don't think people realize how good this kid is. In both the Jet and Bear game he was far and away the team's best player in the first half defense. If you get a chance to re-watch both halves take a peek at how many times he is the closest player to the ball on plays where he did not make the tackle. This is a statistic that is never discussed but coaches track it to see what players are finding the ball and reacting to it, even if the play is away from them. He had 19 trackable instances in those two halves of football with the 1's. That is a very high percentage, especially since he is still learning the defense.

derekunion28
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
shows me he doesnt give up on a play and continues to the wistle....

BigJ
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Iv been saying this since we got him. after seeing him these games he deserves to be on the feild. I cant believe we actually have this problem at LB, This is what iv been waiting for. Kiwi is really good against the run, Boley had a real good year last year. We got Blackburn and Hertz. But i feel this guy could end up being our best all around backer he has also looked better then any LB we have . His speed, athleticism, Cover skills, he can tackle and stop the run and he plays sideline to sideline. Rivers deserves to be on the feild and can make the impact he was predicted to when comming out of collage behind this dline

Bigbluefan77
08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Honestly I remember someone posting that video of Rivers on the Bengals and i can say I was not impressed at all, however he is looking better and I think this team lit a fire under his ***

giantsfan420
08-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Iv been saying this since we got him. after seeing him these games he deserves to be on the feild. I cant believe we actually have this problem at LB, This is what iv been waiting for. Kiwi is really good against the run, Boley had a real good year last year. We got Blackburn and Hertz. But i feel this guy could end up being our best all around backer he has also looked better then any LB we have . His speed, athleticism, Cover skills, he can tackle and stop the run and he plays sideline to sideline. Rivers deserves to be on the feild and can make the impact he was predicted to when comming out of collage behind this dline
well said. i agree

Tmurda1984
08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Rivers is looking good so far hopefully the change of scenery would help. As a Bengal he was injury proned and let a Receiver break his jaw on a block. Lol I know it was Hines Ward, but still a receiver should never knock a linebacker out cold.

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 02:39 AM
rivers look very good he is playing like a beast he will soon say you know what screw boley and in first game he will broke romo ribs also and say i am just as good as boley now.

B-Red22
08-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Honestly I remember someone posting that video of Rivers on the Bengals and i can say I was not impressed at all, however he is looking better and I think this team lit a fire under his ***

Amazing what a change of teams can do for a player.

Redeyejedi
08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
After the trade, numerous skewed videos of his performances for the Bengals were posted. People bemoaned the fact that Reese had given up a fifth for him.I bemoaned it because i liked the depth at LB "and still do". Now Boley and Williams are hurt and Reese looks like the smartest guy in the room , Again. I think they looked at the 0-4 without Michael boley and thought damn we cant have that happen again.Get someone just as good as him

ryan12
08-27-2012, 10:55 AM
He's looking like a steal at this point.

agreed 100%

JesseJames
08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
how can anybody complain about the team giving up a 5th round pick for a 1st rounder, to me thats always a risk worth taking and right now its looking like we stole Rivers...