PDA

View Full Version : Why all of the hype around Douglas?

WinterIsComing
08-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes he had 1 good punt return, but outside of that and some special teams I don't seem him being the next great Giants WR. Can someone tell me why there is so much hype about him?

juice33s
08-25-2012, 08:42 PM
He's white....no but seriously, he's got good size, athletiscm and supposedly he's had a very nice training camp

jimmie ray
08-25-2012, 08:44 PM
It's true - we miss that little window of white light that Ballard showed, and want another look...

RoanokeFan
08-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Every preseason we look for the "Victor Cruz." The player(s) who come(s) out of obscurity and does all the right things, gets extra reps, is praised by the coaching staff.........

This season we have several and Douglas became one of them last night. It's what I call the Rudy effect. The player(s) we all want to see make it despite the odds.

SuperNYGiants
08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Because we are tired of waiting for JJ to show up and Douglas might be the one who could take his spot and when that happens we can finally stop waiting for JJ to show up.

derekunion28
08-25-2012, 09:27 PM
no fumbles yet on punts ...j/k

nhpgiantsfan
08-25-2012, 09:34 PM
A lot has to do with the Internet age. He was on the top five plays of training camp a few times. Years ago you never really heard about every nice catch in camp like you see now. But the underdog thing is nice, kind of like that movie aout that guy on the Eagles, i forget the guys name and the name of the movie right now.

jimmie ray
08-25-2012, 09:38 PM
^ Tom Hanks, Philadelphia.

titwio
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Really he hasn't received too much playing time but the time he has played he's made the most of it. One was a big grab on a high throw by Perrilloux and another yesterday with a 36 yard catch and run (which got overturned for holding).

In his time he's shown he runs good routes, gets open, has good speed and displays reliable hands. Also he plays well on specials and on top of that he has really good size at 6'1 205.

If you ask me he's a guy who could fill that Devin Thomas role for this team with a much bigger upside at wide receiver. I really don't see how he doesn't make the team. I expect he'll get a lot of time versus the Patriots to solidify himself being that since Hosley couldn't return punts yesterday they only tried Douglas at that position leads me to believe they want to find a role for him.

ShakeandBake
08-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Because we are tired of waiting for JJ to show up and Douglas might be the one who could take his spot and when that happens we can finally stop waiting for JJ to show up.

It's JJ's second year on the team.....

titwio
08-25-2012, 10:14 PM

And his second season hasn't even started yet...lol

nygfan90
08-25-2012, 10:18 PM
^ Tom Hanks, Philadelphia.I thought it was "Invincible" with Mark Walhberg?

jimmie ray
08-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I thought it was "Invincible" with Mark Walhberg?

That should only be a Packer's movie title?

Bones911
08-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I thought it was "Invincible" with Mark Walhberg?

That may be the only time in history where you can make a positive remark about the Eagirls and this board will NOT rip you apart for it.

appodictic
08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
So your question is "Why all the hype over a good punt return?" For an answer go look at all our punt returns for hte past 2 years and let me know when you find a good one.

nycsportzfan
08-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Every preseason we look for the "Victor Cruz." The player(s) who come(s) out of obscurity and does all the right things, gets extra reps, is praised by the coaching staff.........

This season we have several and Douglas became one of them last night. It's what I call the Rudy effect. The player(s) we all want to see make it despite the odds. Well to be fair, i brought up Douglas's name as someone to watch almost immedietely after we signed em, so its not like hes some scrub.. He was a solid player at Arizona and has the size/speed/hands needed to play in this league.. So, its not like were talking about a Rudy type player, but a guy who would of probably been drafted had there been a 8th rd.. Thats why i think so many people like the guy and other UDF's, not just because of Cruz, but because there is a gazillion UDF's who are better then a ton of draft picks, that will never get a fair shake..

U see UDF's make it every yr, and i'm sure theres a ton of em that would make it had they alittle bit more of a chance.. None of these guys are rudy's.. Rudy was 2small, unathletic, walk on...etc These guys are big producers on the college level who don't get a shot based on silliness sometimes, and or a guys opinion on what they see on tape or at combine..etc Which of course we've seen can be wrong about half the time if not more..lol

fansince69
08-25-2012, 11:22 PM
And his second season hasn't even started yet...lol

Stop using logic...it just wont work here...

badnews13
08-26-2012, 12:18 AM
really he hasn't received too much playing time but the time he has played he's made the most of it. One was a big grab on a high throw by perrilloux and another yesterday with a 36 yard catch and run (which got overturned for holding).

In his time he's shown he runs good routes, gets open, has good speed and displays reliable hands. Also he plays well on specials and on top of that he has really good size at 6'1 205.

If you ask me he's a guy who could fill that devin thomas role for this team with a much bigger upside at wide receiver. I really don't see how he doesn't make the team. I expect he'll get a lot of time versus the patriots to solidify himself being that since hosley couldn't return punts yesterday they only tried douglas at that position leads me to believe they want to find a role for him.

david douglas has proved that he can be used on this team!!! What he does in practice and what he can do on the field. Douglas still shined when the attention wasnt on him and he made the most of it. If hixon goes down, who do we trust right now to run the ball back??? Well i think douglas made the team and has great hands to get the job done!!!

titwio
08-26-2012, 12:24 AM
david douglas has proved that he can be used on this team!!! What he does in practice and what he can do on the field. Douglas still shined when the attention wasnt on him and he made the most of it. If hixon goes down, who do we trust right now to run the ball back??? Well i think douglas made the team and has great hands to get the job done!!!

Great so you agree with me? lol

Mohann
08-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Yes he had 1 good punt return, but outside of that and some special teams I don't seem him being the next great Giants WR. Can someone tell me why there is so much hype about him?

If he makes the team he'll easily be the best sixth receiver in the league! I don't really see much hype over him. If someone says he might make the team, I'd hardly call that hype. Only you have used "next great Giants WR" in reference to him.

FourthAndOne
08-26-2012, 12:58 AM
If he makes the team he'll easily be the best sixth receiver in the league! I don't really see much hype over him. If someone says he might make the team, I'd hardly call that hype. Only you have used "next great Giants WR" in reference to him.

Sixth best receiver in the league :)
I would say that's a lot of hype.

Mohann
08-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Sixth best receiver in the league :)
I would say that's a lot of hype.

Best sixth receiver. Not sixth best receiver. It's not a lot of hype, it's a lot of sarcasm.

nygfan90
08-26-2012, 01:43 AM
That may be the only time in history where you can make a positive remark about the Eagirls and this board will NOT rip you apart for it.lol My bad my bad!!

Breezely
08-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Well to be fair, i brought up Douglas's name as someone to watch almost immedietely after we signed em, so its not like hes some scrub.. He was a solid player at Arizona and has the size/speed/hands needed to play in this league.. So, its not like were talking about a Rudy type player, but a guy who would of probably been drafted had there been a 8th rd.. Thats why i think so many people like the guy and other UDF's, not just because of Cruz, but because there is a gazillion UDF's who are better then a ton of draft picks, that will never get a fair shake..

U see UDF's make it every yr, and i'm sure theres a ton of em that would make it had they alittle bit more of a chance.. None of these guys are rudy's.. Rudy was 2small, unathletic, walk on...etc These guys are big producers on the college level who don't get a shot based on silliness sometimes, and or a guys opinion on what they see on tape or at combine..etc Which of course we've seen can be wrong about half the time if not more..lol

I remember when you mentioned him as a player to watch. I don't think he is getting too much hype but he has turned some heads and I believe he will make the team.

GMan-67
08-26-2012, 02:54 AM
we've been looking for a reliable return guy for a long time, so i understand the support for him, but he is still a long shot

stormblue
08-26-2012, 02:57 AM
we've been looking for a reliable return guy for a long time, so i understand the support for him, but he is still a long shot

exactly this ^^

gmen46
08-26-2012, 04:16 AM

This season we have several and Douglas became one of them last night. It's what I call the Rudy effect. The player(s) we all want to see make it despite the odds.

He can have my jersey, coach.

gmen46
08-26-2012, 04:30 AM

Yeah, and Douglas has already shown us more than Jernigan has in two pre seasons and a full regular season. Zero punt muffs from Douglas as opposed to 3 punt muffs total from Jernicant says a lot about Jernigan's chances to make this team. (Oh, but I forgot. Simply because Jernigan was a 3rd rd pick last year guarantees him a spot; my bad).

myles2424
08-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Your right, we shouldn't be excited about an extreme underdog looking good.....we should much more happy about Barden catching a few passes for the first time since Cal Poly

Captain Chaos
08-26-2012, 05:33 AM
I think he has done well and people want to see him succeed, I think he will make the practice squad. I think you need to give JJ a little more time before you can make any determination. It can take guys a few years to put things together at this level.

miked1958
08-26-2012, 07:09 AM
If he makes the team he'll easily be the best sixth receiver in the league! I don't really see much hype over him. If someone says he might make the team, I'd hardly call that hype. Only you have used "next great Giants WR" in reference to him.Kid has great excelleration on punts and passes

Boogie12
08-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Douglas has shown more in 1 training camp than JJ. Not saying JJ will be cut but Douglas has been more reliable and has made more of his chances. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Douglas and the kid has talent. He's
def what I would call a pure football player. Douglas is adjusting very smoothly and should only get better.