PDA

View Full Version : Incredible play call by Gilbride

appodictic
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
One of the most intesting plays of the giants game was a play that actually went down as an incomplete pass. But the play was so brilliant I had to relive it.

After the series where Barden scored he again made another nice down the field grab. Barden and Cruz lined up on the right side. Barden ran a seam route through the zone and Cruz broke off short. Two defenders went after Barden!

This play got Cruz wide open. The throw went to cruz ( he happened to drop it) but looking that play I was very impressed. Gilbride actually was able to use Barden as a decoy to get Cruz open. Stop..now think about it...

giantsforce
08-25-2012, 11:20 PM
One of the most intesting plays of the giants game was a play that actually went down as an incomplete pass. But the play was so brilliant I had to relive it.

After the series where Barden scored he again made another nice down the field grab. Barden and Cruz lined up on the right side. Barden ran a seam route through the zone and Cruz broke off short. Two defenders went after Barden!

This play got Cruz wide open. The throw went to cruz ( he happened to drop it) but looking that play I was very impressed. Gilbride actually was able to use Barden as a decoy to get Cruz open. Stop..now think about it...And then we had the reverse from our 10 yard line that went to nowhere and almost cost us a safety! Now stop and think about that! Just brilliant play calling!

appodictic
08-25-2012, 11:36 PM
And then we had the reverse from our 10 yard line that went to nowhere and almost cost us a safety! Now stop and think about that! Just brilliant play calling! Any play that results in a 10 yard loss is more about execution then play calling. Its not like a reverse is a gimmick play like the wild cat. You run it every now and again.

Getting Cruz open on a double cover to barden is brilliant. I do not care what you say.

FBomb
08-25-2012, 11:38 PM
And then we had the reverse from our 10 yard line that went to nowhere and almost cost us a safety! Now stop and think about that! Just brilliant play calling!

lol....I can't believe there are still people who question KG as an OC. How is it Gilbride's fault that several blocking assignments were missed on that play?

giantsforce
08-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Any play that results in a 10 yard loss is more about execution then play calling. Its not like a reverse is a gimmick play like the wild cat. You run it every now and again.

Getting Cruz open on a double cover to barden is brilliant. I do not care what you say.The troubling fact is that he run it so close to our endzone and it almost cost us. These kind of plays need room to develop and you do not call it near your end zone unless of course you are Gilbride.

giantsforce
08-25-2012, 11:45 PM
lol....I can't believe there are still people who question KG as an OC. How is it Gilbride's fault that several blocking assignments were missed on that play?Normally you do not call that kind of play near your endzone because of the high risk. A little mistake like a missed assignment and you have a disaster. I know that he will not call this play near the endzone when the regular season starts.

gmen0820
08-25-2012, 11:51 PM
What was special about that play? It was a two man route combination, not The Annexation of Puerto Rico. Barden wasn't used as a decoy, he was used as a pick player.

FBomb
08-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Normally you do not call that kind of play near your endzone because of the high risk. A little mistake like a missed assignment and you have a disaster. I know that he will not call this play near the endzone when the regular season starts.

Nonsense....it's a great call if the players execute correctly. As the playcaller you have to expect your 1st team to know it's job and to perform it's job. That's why you work the bugs out of the new plays in a meaningless game. Calling out KG's abilities as an OC is asinine to begin with, but to do so when he's trying to get everybody on the same page during preseason is just plain stupid.

KG is a top rated OC in the NFL.....anyone who thinks otherwise is blind

Toadofsteel
08-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Why are people still bashing Gilbride? His playcalling is what kept us with some semblance of order while Perry Fewell's thumb was stuck up his *** and he refused to rush the passer for a month...

GMan-67
08-26-2012, 03:02 AM
haha, this board has fired Gilbride 18 times, Fewell 7 times and Coughlin 10 times ... you'd be better off pulling a Toomer and proclaiming Romo better than Eli

AntB
08-26-2012, 03:13 AM
If Gilbride hadn't developed the threat of the left handed pass by Eli there would be many more sacks and Eli would not have as much success. The man is a genius.

nycsportzfan
08-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Its kinda funny becuase a play that Gilbride called that made me extremely happy this preseason was the simple fullback dive on 3rd and less then 1....lol I mean, we never did that last yr and not much in gilbrides tenure.. Its a play that works if u got the FB for it, and Hynoski is 100pct that kinda FB.. I hate not getting those first on 3rd and half a yrd, and not only using the FB dive for just converting but also giving the D something else to have to plan for is a plus.. Hopefully we mix that in often this yr..

jimmie ray
08-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Do you expect that they're just going to feel through another season, to see what Hynoski can do - or look at other possibilities in FB's released from other teams? There might be a big-bodied veteran available, soon?

Captain Chaos
08-26-2012, 05:40 AM
lol....I can't believe there are still people who question KG as an OC. How is it Gilbride's fault that several blocking assignments were missed on that play?

Exactly........

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 06:25 AM
lol....i can't believe there are still people who question kg as an oc. How is it gilbride's fault that several blocking assignments were missed on that play?

believe it!!!!!

Diamondring
08-26-2012, 06:56 AM
even when all plays are executed, there are going to be some unblocked players and if they are at the right spot, that play can get busted up quick. I also think that most teams won't suspect a play like that near the endzone to so that play that got busted up could be a good call.

Toadofsteel
08-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Its kinda funny becuase a play that Gilbride called that made me extremely happy this preseason was the simple fullback dive on 3rd and less then 1....lol I mean, we never did that last yr and not much in gilbrides tenure.. Its a play that works if u got the FB for it, and Hynoski is 100pct that kinda FB.. I hate not getting those first on 3rd and half a yrd, and not only using the FB dive for just converting but also giving the D something else to have to plan for is a plus.. Hopefully we mix that in often this yr..

I'm definitely down for some FB dives... HYNOCEROUS!

brad
08-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I am not a big KG fan, not because I don't think he is smart or because I don't respect him. I am not a fan because his offense is so complex, and often pass-heavy, that if the QB and receivers aren't on the same page you can have a disaster. The WR option routes take longer to develop and if the receiver decides one thing when Eli expected another, you see turnovers. When it works, it is a great offense, when it doesn't you have a lot of 3 and outs or turnovers.

nhpgiantsfan
08-26-2012, 10:41 AM
When I think of KG and his schemes, I simply think of a pro bowl cornerback stating on video that he can't cover our WRs running option routes all day. The NFCCG I believe. The man knows what he is doing. We have won 2 SBs with him, it is time to lay off him. We are one of the top offenses in the league, he deserves some credit.

GameTime
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Do you expect that they're just going to feel through another season, to see what Hynoski can do - or look at other possibilities in FB's released from other teams? There might be a big-bodied veteran available, soon?
ur kidding right?.....
Hynoski will be a top notch FB. There is nothing he has done to warrant getting rid of him.....

GameTime
08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I am not a big KG fan, not because I don't think he is smart or because I don't respect him. I am not a fan because his offense is so complex, and often pass-heavy, that if the QB and receivers aren't on the same page you can have a disaster. The WR option routes take longer to develop and if the receiver decides one thing when Eli expected another, you see turnovers. When it works, it is a great offense, when it doesn't you have a lot of 3 and outs or turnovers.
you can say that about ANY offense on ANY team. Tell me an offense that doesnt work well but still get consistent first downs.....????

brad
08-26-2012, 12:12 PM
you can say that about ANY offense on ANY team. Tell me an offense that doesnt work well but still get consistent first downs.....????

There are plenty of offenses that won't get consistent first downs when it isn't working.... you missed the point. The point is that the offensive scheme lends itself to "feast or famine". There are plenty of offenses that are more consistent, even when they aren't playing as well as they should. There are plenty of offenses that produce far less turnovers, and when they have turnovers it's because the QB made a mental mistake rather than the receiver choosing the option that the QB didn't expect.

The point is that the Giants offense empowers the receivers to make decisions during the route, and that makes it very difficult for defenses to cover them. However, the downside to that is if the receivers are reading the coverage one way and the QB reads it another the play breaks down and can often lead to an interception. When they both read the same thing, big plays happen, when they don't big plays happen on the other side of the field. This isn't a new revelation, it is just an unbiased look at the pro's and con's of the KG style of offense.

Diamondring
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
When I think of KG and his schemes, I simply think of a pro bowl cornerback stating on video that he can't cover our WRs running option routes all day. The NFCCG I believe. The man knows what he is doing. We have won 2 SBs with him, it is time to lay off him. We are one of the top offenses in the league, he deserves some credit.Some credit? "A lot" seems the words you should use.

gmen46
08-26-2012, 04:07 PM
There are plenty of offenses that won't get consistent first downs when it isn't working.... you missed the point. The point is that the offensive scheme lends itself to "feast or famine". There are plenty of offenses that are more consistent, even when they aren't playing as well as they should. There are plenty of offenses that produce far less turnovers, and when they have turnovers it's because the QB made a mental mistake rather than the receiver choosing the option that the QB didn't expect.

The point is that the Giants offense empowers the receivers to make decisions during the route, and that makes it very difficult for defenses to cover them. However, the downside to that is if the receivers are reading the coverage one way and the QB reads it another the play breaks down and can often lead to an interception. When they both read the same thing, big plays happen, when they don't big plays happen on the other side of the field. This isn't a new revelation, it is just an unbiased look at the pro's and con's of the KG style of offense.

Let's say you are correct in your so-called "unbiased look" at KG's style of offense.

I'm afraid you "miss the point". Sports in general, and certainly football in particular, is about percentages and probabilities. Yes, on balance Eli (and by extension, Gilbride's offense style) finishes seasons in the middle-lower third of the league with interceptions. But he also has been the league leader or top 2 with pass plays of 40+ yards the past 3 years. There's your "feast or famine", for sure.

But don't overlook the other percentage and probability that's all-important. The past 5 years Gilbride has been the Giants OC, and two Championships in the last 5 years has been the result. How many other teams' OC can make that claim?

Anyone? ......... Anyone?........ Bueller?

brad
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Let's say you are correct in your so-called "unbiased look" at KG's style of offense.

I'm afraid you "miss the point". Sports in general, and certainly football in particular, is about percentages and probabilities. Yes, on balance Eli (and by extension, Gilbride's offense style) finishes seasons in the middle-lower third of the league with interceptions. But he also has been the league leader or top 2 with pass plays of 40+ yards the past 3 years. There's your "feast or famine", for sure.

But don't overlook the other percentage and probability that's all-important. The past 5 years Gilbride has been the Giants OC, and two Championships in the last 5 years has been the result. How many other teams' OC can make that claim?

Anyone? ......... Anyone?........ Bueller?

Responding to you is probably an exercise in futility... but I will try to explain this again. As I said in my previous post, I respect KG, but you seem to take the stance that unless everyone hails KG as absolutely perfect in every way we are attacking him. Yes, KG has been a part of the coaching staff that has won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years, and no, I am not suggesting that he be replaced. That being said, I don't have to consider him infallible.

The stats you quote are in fact exactly what I am talking about. How many games have we all sat and watched 3 and out over and over again, then suddenly saw the offense break out and get big plays that turn the game in the Giants favor. How many times have we seen a great drive suddenly stopped by an unexplainable throw to a ghost receiver? The 3 and outs are to the credit of the coordinator just as the big plays are. You can't praise the good and pretend the bad didn't happen, you can only hope that the good plays compensate for the bad, and obviously that has been the case for 2 Super Bowls... however you have to credit the defense for both of the Super Bowl runs as much as you do the offense.

In the end, I would prefer to see more of a running game, but ultimately all that matters are the rings. So, I will deal with the bad and enjoy the good, because you don't mess with good results.

nycsportzfan
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm definitely down for some FB dives... HYNOCEROUS! yes sir!!!!

GameTime
08-26-2012, 05:52 PM

I am well aware of the how the Giants offense works and the schemes behind the route running and "same page" aspect of it. You missed my point....any offense that is not run properly, while you say can still be consistent, won't work for long and certainly won;t win any championships. Gilbride's scheme is a proven winner.....

FBomb
08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Responding to you is probably an exercise in futility... but I will try to explain this again. As I said in my previous post, I respect KG, but you seem to take the stance that unless everyone hails KG as absolutely perfect in every way we are attacking him. Yes, KG has been a part of the coaching staff that has won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years, and no, I am not suggesting that he be replaced. That being said, I don't have to consider him infallible.

The stats you quote are in fact exactly what I am talking about. How many games have we all sat and watched 3 and out over and over again, then suddenly saw the offense break out and get big plays that turn the game in the Giants favor. How many times have we seen a great drive suddenly stopped by an unexplainable throw to a ghost receiver? The 3 and outs are to the credit of the coordinator just as the big plays are. You can't praise the good and pretend the bad didn't happen, you can only hope that the good plays compensate for the bad, and obviously that has been the case for 2 Super Bowls... however you have to credit the defense for both of the Super Bowl runs as much as you do the offense.

In the end, I would prefer to see more of a running game, but ultimately all that matters are the rings. So, I will deal with the bad and enjoy the good, because you don't mess with good results.

Well, no one said he was "infallible". That's the problem with most people on this board have is exaggerating other opinions to a point where the original point has been buried in pointless banter.

The ORIGINAL point was the poster who claimed that calling that partiuclar play was bad timing and he isn't a good playcaller. Which, of course, borders on stupidity considering his track record and the fact PRESESON games are the ideal place to try out new playsd LIVE.

derekunion28
08-26-2012, 11:16 PM
i em happy with the coachs when the plays work when they dont they suck donkie balls

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 01:31 AM
gilbride is very old like coughlin I think sometimes he doesnt know what he says and forgets thats why eli looks at him like WTF sometimes maybe he talks about his granddaughters or something instead of the plays I think Eli is the best and he calls the plays for the team and only reason gilbride and coughlin are around is so that nobody interferes with eli master plan and they get to talk about their granddaughters in peace go gmen.

Drez
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
The troubling fact is that he run it so close to our endzone and it almost cost us. These kind of plays need room to develop and you do not call it near your end zone unless of course you are Gilbride. Or unless it's a meaningless preseason game where the outcome means nothing and all you're doing is evaluating players.

FBomb
08-27-2012, 04:21 PM
gilbride is very old like coughlin I think sometimes he doesnt know what he says and forgets thats why eli looks at him like WTF sometimes maybe he talks about his granddaughters or something instead of the plays I think Eli is the best and he calls the plays for the team and only reason gilbride and coughlin are around is so that nobody interferes with eli master plan and they get to talk about their granddaughters in peace go gmen.

For the first time EVER...I am speechless.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 04:36 PM
For the first time EVER...I am speechless.

Don't you recognize giggles?

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Fbomb you are the superstar of the boards for you to quote me means a lot I finally feel vindicated. Is it true... probably not but it is a good theory and I think RF or Harooni will agree with me go gmen.

FBomb
08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Don't you recognize giggles?

No....giggles was funny. This is just annoying childish nonsense.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
No....giggles was funny. This is just annoying childish nonsense.

Part of it has been funny...he has something about grandmothers going on

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Have you guys not seen the grandladies on the sidelines sometimes

fansince69
08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Have you guys not seen the grandladies on the sidelines sometimes

at the bingo game maybe

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Hahahahahahhaa.

qroze
08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
all I wanna say is we're lucky to have Gilbride.

ksmooth22
08-28-2012, 03:59 AM
And then we had the reverse from our 10 yard line that went to nowhere and almost cost us a safety! Now stop and think about that! Just brilliant play calling!

look, the giants were never a good trick play team, but it would be nice if they could execute one once in a while, which should make it easier to execute because they never do them, i think gilbride and the offense should think of something really out of the water, like a 1st down play just come out of nowhere with something awesome like, cruz throwing a pass to nicks or something lol just something out of the ordinary, but make sure you execute and not lose 24 yards.

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why, last preseason, they faked a punt and direct snapped it to D'rel Scott and he ran untouched for oh, about 140 yards on the play and the whole season I'm looking for it to be called and they never ran the play. Maybe this year....

As far as for Gilbride, I have no idea what some of you guys complain about. Their offense is fine. They just need to block better on short yardage. This years team might actually be the best offense I've ever seen in a Giants uniform. Time will tell. Eli is obviously happy with Gilbride. I've got to think he knows more about play calling than the guys who refer to him as "Killdrive."

Now if we could just get Fewell to realize that when the four man rush isn't working, to make an adjustment and change things up....then we're in business.

jakegibbs
08-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Both the WR screens & WR reverses need to be placed on the shelf. Seem like neither work & usually the WR screen is almost a turnover everytime we run it someone either tips the pass or the defender is in position for a pick six. No needy anymore KG.Total

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah, crazy play calling ... you'd think it's preseason or something.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I wouold like to see a flea flicker every now and then......

pj18
08-28-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAz3-v7kpRc

This play for Jacobs is still one of Gilbride's best, more surprising calls. I was at this game, it was awesome. Cruz's coming out party as well.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Wilson 20y gain against the Bears was pretty sweet as well, with the 2 lead blockers lining up to the right and moving to the left after the snap.