PDA

View Full Version : NFL rumors: Is Chase Blackburn Giants starting middle linebacker?

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 08:40 AM
NFL RUMORS: IS CHASE BLACKBURN GIANTS STARTING MIDDLE LINEBACKER? (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/nfl_rumors_is_chase_blackburn_the_new_york_giants_ starting_middle_linebacker/11548939)

Excerpt: "Usually when a player starts in the third preseason game, unless there’s an injury, you end up starting during the regular season. Chase Blackburn was the starting middle linebacker in last night’s game for the New York Giants. (http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/) Now the question is will he be come September 5th? There’s no question that Blackburn helped change the fortunes of the defense when the Giants brought him back before their regular season game against the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.rantsports.com/green-bay-packers/&sa=U&ei=PoQ5UNW6JcrCrQHT1YD4CQ&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGdaIo-ie-_Lmz8KP5aoGDaYaHDwg). Blackburn helped stabilize a part of the defense that really struggled up the middle and made some huge plays along their run to the Super Bowl." Read more...

Rod-Diggity
08-26-2012, 08:43 AM
yea he's the starter until he does something to lose his job or someone out plays him by a mile by mid-season

jimmie ray
08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
They're extremely fortunate to have gotten him back. Looks like everyone is pulling for him, and he's becoming a team inspiration. Let Kiwi rotate in and out of LB and DE position, keep Boley and Rivers as OLB's. Pretty simple, really.

Gimaniac
08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Lame article. No mention of Herzlich? Isn't that the competition at MLB?

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Lame article. No mention of Herzlich? Isn't that the competition at MLB?

It's an article about Blackburn, not the competition. It asks a question. Who know the answer?

Gimaniac
08-26-2012, 08:58 AM
It's an article about Blackburn, not the competition. It asks a question. Who know the answer?

Rivers, Boley and Kiwanuka were mentioned.

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Rivers, Boley and Kiwanuka were mentioned.

And Herzlich may not be in the running

jimmie ray
08-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Most articles about Herzlich lean toward the feel good story about overcoming cancer - which is definitely an achievement. Blackburn seems like a solid guy, physically and instinct wise - and was a major contributer during their last post season run.

jomo
08-26-2012, 09:03 AM
NFL RUMORS: IS CHASE BLACKBURN GIANTS STARTING MIDDLE LINEBACKER? (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/nfl_rumors_is_chase_blackburn_the_new_york_giants_ starting_middle_linebacker/11548939)

Excerpt: "Usually when a player starts in the third preseason game, unless there’s an injury, you end up starting during the regular season. Chase Blackburn was the starting middle linebacker in last night’s game for the New York Giants. (http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/) Now the question is will he be come September 5th? There’s no question that Blackburn helped change the fortunes of the defense when the Giants brought him back before their regular season game against the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.rantsports.com/green-bay-packers/&sa=U&ei=PoQ5UNW6JcrCrQHT1YD4CQ&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGdaIo-ie-_Lmz8KP5aoGDaYaHDwg). Blackburn helped stabilize a part of the defense that really struggled up the middle and made some huge plays along their run to the Super Bowl." Read more...
I don't read blogs like this because the material is pretty weak. I'm not sure if the yardbarker is considered a good one or not. I'm not even sure what they are asking or what point they are trying to make. lol maybe I need another cup of coffee.

Let me take it in a slightly different direction. All I've seen from Blackburn this pre-season that says he's ready to pick up where he left off last year. That's good news for us. His story is a great one as is Herzlich's. Competition is good and whoever wins the competition means that our MLB will be stronger than last year. Go Blue!!

Gimaniac
08-26-2012, 09:06 AM
And Herzlich may not be in the running

Then who? Herzlich took the snaps with the 2s

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't read blogs like this because the material is pretty weak. I'm not sure if the yardbarker is considered a good one or not. I'm not even sure what they are asking or what point they are trying to make. lol maybe I need another cup of coffee.

Let me take it in a slightly different direction. All I've seen from Blackburn this pre-season that says he's ready to pick up where he left off last year. That's good news for us. His story is a great one as is Herzlich's. Competition is good and whoever wins the competition means that our MLB will be stronger than last year. Go Blue!!

I'm more concerned about when Boley comes back.

Redeyejedi
08-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Its unfortunate that none of these guys on the outside can play in the middle. I think the Giants Middle LB is at best the 5th best LB on the team. I would of loved to see them put Rivers at MLB with Boley and Kiwi/Williams on Running/Passing downs. Rivers,Boley , Williams are very athletic and can cover more space in the passing game.They are quick enough to handle the short zones. Unless its obvious Running downs Id want those guys on the field

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Then who what?

giantfanatic
08-26-2012, 09:18 AM
I am a Herzlich fan, but he has not proven he can stay healthy at all.mI don't think it's really that close. Chase is the guy.

tonyt830
08-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Let me take it in a slightly different direction. All I've seen from Blackburn this pre-season that says he's ready to pick up where he left off last year. That's good news for us. His story is a great one as is Herzlich's. Competition is good and whoever wins the competition means that our MLB will be stronger than last year. Go Blue!!I agree with you regarding the MLB position being stronger this year. I think Blackburn is the favorite, but that competition is pushing Herzlich that much harder. I dont have the crystal ball for the answers, so who knows, maybe by midseason we may see Herzlich in at the mike.

Either way, as compared to recent history, our linebacking position looks to be stronger and deeper.

Gimaniac
08-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Then who what?

I thought the question was "Is Chase the starting MLB?"

Yet no one can identify who the competition is = Priceless.

tonyt830
08-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm more concerned about when Boley comes back.I too want to see Boley back soon, but you know that when it comes to hammy issues, they want to be a little extra cautious.

Besides, I would be ok with Rivers starting at the Will until Boley is ready to roll. Then of course you have Williams, who can come in on pass downs and play the Will or the hybrid LB/S role that Grant played last year.

tonyt830
08-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Yet no one can identify who the competition is = Priceless.well I guess we would have to assume that Herzlich is the competition right now at the mike. I know this article did not say that, but per training camp reports ie: Mike G and Ralph V, Herz is the one that can push Chase.

I thought I remember reading somewhere as well, that Fewell was going to try to give Boley(before injury) and Rivers some work at the mike position in camp.

Either way, I'm happy with our LB position, especially with the depth we have and the 2nd yr guys looking better(Herzlich, Paysinger, Jones).

Toadofsteel
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
It's chase's job to lose, but I'd be happy if Herzlich could take it...

jimmie ray
08-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Then of course you have Williams, who can come in on pass downs and play the Will or the hybrid LB/S role that Grant played last year.

I have no problem with rotating guys and hybrid roles. What burns me is seeing guys who only play one position, lose the basics on some plays. Didn't most players work on both sides of the ball, decades ago?

BParcells777
08-26-2012, 09:44 AM

When Blackburn is in there the D is dominant, and poised

Why mess with success.......Herzlich can take the Gary Reasons route to success and bide his time, play specials, learn from Chase

Just as Chase had to do all those things sitting behind Pierce.....

I'd love to see Herzlich take the Reasons role on Punts and take the snap for a 1st down on 4th and 1

Mod_C
08-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Yet no one can identify who the competition is = Priceless.

So we'll count you in the no column?

fourth&forever
08-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I have no problem with rotating guys and hybrid roles. What burns me is seeing guys who only play one position, lose the basics on some plays. Didn't most players work on both sides of the ball, decades ago?

1962 was the last time for a full time two way player. He played LB and center. But I won't mention his name or his team as the hatred goes that far.

Gimaniac
08-26-2012, 10:29 AM
So we'll count you in the no column?

Why would you say that? I was the first to mention Herzlich.

fansince69
08-26-2012, 10:30 AM
When Blackburn is in there the D is dominant, and poised

Why mess with success.......Herzlich can take the Gary Reasons route to success and bide his time, play specials, learn from Chase

Just as Chase had to do all those things sitting behind Pierce.....

I'd love to see Herzlich take the Reasons role on Punts and take the snap for a 1st down on 4th and 1

I am a little confused with the Gary Reasons analogy? how does that possibly fit?Reasons was drafted in 84 and by 85 was a starting linebacker....not sitting behind someone learning......I would appreciate you explaining what you mean

Mod_C
08-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Why would you say that? I was the first to mention Herzlich.

I say that because it seems you think the answer to the question asked is no.

Roswell777
08-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I like Blackburn and Herz and would be ok with either guy starting but I don't understand why Kiwi never got a look at MLB. I think if Kiwi could handle it, they would be set up with Boley, Kiwi and Rivers.

Gimaniac
08-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I say that because it seems you think the answer to the question asked is no.

Chase is the starter, Herz is the backup.

GameTime
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
He also tweakked somehting and hasn't 100% healthy yet. Maybe Herz is not ready to take command of the defense yet. Chase may be slow but a savy MLB can get away with not be lighting quick. Chase is a cerebral player who understands the game and the NYG defensive schemes at higher level then Herz at the moment. Herz counld have a better example for what the team wants from a MLB then Chase....

jimmie ray
08-26-2012, 11:21 AM
1962 was the last time for a full time two way player. He played LB and center. But I won't mention his name or his team as the hatred goes that far.

Awww... what's all the holubaloo?

buster55
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Chase is the guy. He has been a solid contributor and Herz is backup. Great story for both guys but as I mentioned before Chase made big impact in playoff run and 2-huge plays that changed the game in the SB. What has Herz done to take his job? I like the guy but feel his play is average at best so far. If he continues to improve better for the team as a whole.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Chase will start the season, don't look for Herz to be that backup spot though. Some interesting things are likely to happen, Boley has been spending classroom duty pouring over the Middle spot and was spending a good bit of time there in camp. Chase has earned his spot and frankly was a big reason for the run last season, but his athleticism limits him some.

jomo
08-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm more concerned about when Boley comes back.True especially when we factor in the Jacquan is just back at practice. The addition of Rivers and the development of the other young guys has been a blessing. When JW and Boley return, we'll have a glut of very capable LB's.

derekunion28
08-26-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm more concerned about when Boley comes back. my same feeling also boley is a big part and i want to see rivers out there also ....my choice rivers kiwi boley....but who knows with these injuries

Martyr
08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I was rooting for Herzlich to take Blackburns job but after watching most of the preseason Blackburn has played better (IMO). While Herzlich hasnt played bad by any stretch he just seems inconsistent to me. I think the Giants well be better off with Blackburn staying put this year.

Captain Chaos
08-26-2012, 04:48 PM

What''s to be concerned about? They put the best players in the game. I can see Rivers has been playing great and if Boley comes back someone could move...