PDA

View Full Version : Eli on Barden

OX1
08-26-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't consider this a compliment.......

"His intensity has really picked up over the past two weeks or so,"

What about his intensity before the past 2 weeks???

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/167460475_Ramses_Barden_may_have_saved_his_job_mig ht_have_saved_his_job.html

RoanokeFan
08-26-2012, 09:04 AM

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/167460475_Ramses_Barden_may_have_saved_his_job_mig ht_have_saved_his_job.html

Of course its a compliment about Barden's play in the very recent past. It's not an endorsement for the HOF or that he'll even make the team

krygny
08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
He was rather animated after that TD catch the other night. Never saw that before but, then again, there's never been reason for it.

I see some good things in his technique. He "snaches" the ball out of the air. But it's still all about route running and getting separation (and Eli's confidence in him to do those things consistently). He did those things the other night better than he ever has. Maybe the "project" is starting to pay off.

GameTime
08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Initially I had hope for the kid but one good game doesnt convince me he has turned a corner. BUt it was nice to see him actually play WR like an NFL player should

OX1
08-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Of course its a compliment about Barden's play in the very recent past. It's not an endorsement for the HOF or that he'll even make the team

Didn't mean that Eli was not trying to compliment him, but I still question the previous enthusiam.
If you got that far and made a pro football team, but were not one of the staples of the team quite yet,
wouldn't you want to seem like you were giving it all heck, even if your play was not that great yet?

Now if Eli had said, "he has always had great intensity, his play has just picked up a couple notches in the past 2 weeks",
I'd consider that a compliment.

Look @ Weatherford. Can't get much more of a lock to make a team, but still going nuts, even in pre-season.
Hopefully Barden's recent play is not just because he on the super bubble.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
The kid is a speciman, was never brought in as a project. Team has kept him because of his ability. He worked very hard this off season including working with Eli at local fields for weeks. His biggest problem to date has been his breaking ability on routes in this system, in practice so far, and on display Friday, it seems as if he has made great progress in that area. his hands are fantastic, and he is very quick for a guy his height. Could be a great addition this season.

jomo
08-26-2012, 02:35 PM
The kid is a speciman, was never brought in as a project. Team has kept him because of his ability. He worked very hard this off season including working with Eli at local fields for weeks. His biggest problem to date has been his breaking ability on routes in this system, in practice so far, and on display Friday, it seems as if he has made great progress in that area. his hands are fantastic, and he is very quick for a guy his height. Could be a great addition this season.Sorry, he's not a specimen, he's just big and I would agree athletic. (to me a specimen is a rare athletic talent, I wouldn't call him rare) That said, his tenacity is lacking and is evident watching him on speical teams. He get's nothing out of his wing pursuit which is as much mental as physical. That also shows itself in fighting for jump balls in passing routes. I have seen him muscled off by smaller DBacks who wanted the ball more. I hope he can build on his performance from the other night but he still needs to develop other dimensions in his game in order to be a good NFL receiver. Just one guy's opinion.......

fansince69
08-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Sorry, he's not a specimen, he's just big and I would agree athletic. (to me a specimen is a rare athletic talent, I wouldn't call him rare) That said, his tenacity is lacking and is evident watching him on speical teams. He get's nothing out of his wing pursuit which is as much mental as physical. That also shows itself in fighting for jump balls in passing routes. I have seen him muscled off by smaller DBacks who wanted the ball more. I hope he can build on his performance from the other night but he still needs to develop other dimensions in his game in order to be a good NFL receiver. Just one guy's opinion.......

He was out muscled last week ...he had great position and DID NOT use his size to keep the cb from getting around him on a slant...I know that is one time....but it is symptom of why he struggles......he has the size ....he does not know how or is afraid to use it

gmen46
08-26-2012, 03:07 PM
The kid is a speciman, was never brought in as a project. Team has kept him because of his ability. He worked very hard this off season including working with Eli at local fields for weeks. His biggest problem to date has been his breaking ability on routes in this system, in practice so far, and on display Friday, it seems as if he has made great progress in that area. his hands are fantastic, and he is very quick for a guy his height. Could be a great addition this season.

Actually, he was brought in as a project. Reese admitted as much after he was drafted.

jomo
08-26-2012, 03:08 PM
He was out muscled last week ...he had great position and DID NOT use his size to keep the cb from getting around him on a slant...I know that is one time....but it is symptom of why he struggles......he has the size ....he does not know how or is afraid to use itIt is the same timidity that I see on special teams.

Tuckit91
08-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Why is everyone so in love with Barden? He has done nothing since being drafted!

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Sorry, he's not a specimen, he's just big and I would agree athletic. (to me a specimen is a rare athletic talent, I wouldn't call him rare) That said, his tenacity is lacking and is evident watching him on speical teams. He get's nothing out of his wing pursuit which is as much mental as physical. That also shows itself in fighting for jump balls in passing routes. I have seen him muscled off by smaller DBacks who wanted the ball more. I hope he can build on his performance from the other night but he still needs to develop other dimensions in his game in order to be a good NFL receiver. Just one guy's opinion.......

Great points on his special teams performance to be sure. However he is a speciman, he is 6'6" and very quick with the ability to extend and get low. Being a speciman does not make him a great football player, but physically he is one to be sure. I can't say I agree with ever seeing smaller guys out fight him during plays, I assume you are referring to camp performance. I am sure it has happened, I have just not seen it. He still needs work, By no means am I suggesting a starting role yet, but his off season work appears to be paying off. Timing is such a big part of the game, look only to Cruz's success as the benchmark for that fact. There again is another guy who worked all winter and spring with Eli at local spots to help his chances. Not to suggest in anyway that a similar result is pending for Ramses, just pointing out that the extra work with your QB can be the difference between success and failure at this level.

fansince69
08-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Great points on his special teams performance to be sure. However he is a speciman, he is 6'6" and very quick with the ability to extend and get low. Being a speciman does not make him a great football player, but physically he is one to be sure. <strong>I can't say I agree with ever seeing smaller guys out fight him during plays, </strong>I assume you are referring to camp performance. I am sure it has happened, I have just not seen it. He still needs work, By no means am I suggesting a starting role yet, but his off season work appears to be paying off. Timing is such a big part of the game, look only to Cruz's success as the benchmark for that fact. There again is another guy who worked all winter and spring with Eli at local spots to help his chances. Not to suggest in anyway that a similar result is pending for Ramses, just pointing out that the extra work with your QB can be the difference between success and failure at this level.<br><br>If you saw the Jets game last week....there was a perfect example

The old saying is you can't teach speed...you also can't teach height...unfortunatley neither guarantees you can play wide receiver

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 03:42 PM
When did you notice a smaller defensive back out muscle him for position? i will certainly look again, what series in the game was it? I was not suggesting it couldnt be true, just that I had not seen it.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 03:44 PM
<br><br>If you saw the Jets game last week....there was a perfect example

The old saying is you can't teach speed...you also can't teach height...unfortunatley neither guarantees you can play wide receiver

Absolutely, he has both in great quantities by the way which is why the coaching staff keeps investing in him. As I have been saying, if his off season work is paying off it would be a great thing for the team, thats all.

giantsfan420
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
while we all know Eli is P.C., he wont just make up something or say something he doesnt believe in...For him to be praising Barden is a good thing, and about how he earned his opportunities...I think thats a great thing and I believe we could see Barden have a good year. If he can replicate his play vs the bears consistently, one would think he would HAVE to get some playing time. Granted it was sporadic, but Barden DID look impressive. Tillman aint no joke corner, and they also have a legit scheme. It was nice to see Barden flash...

fansince69
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
When did you notice a smaller defensive back out muscle him for position? i will certainly look again, what series in the game was it? I was not suggesting it couldnt be true, just that I had not seen it.

I can't tell you when in the game....but it was a slant play,,,Barden had perfect position ...but instead of using his size to keep the cb behind him ...like a big tight end would do or a basketball player.......he let him get around him to break up the pass........I know this is just one example....but it is what Jomo and I are talking about

giantsfan420
08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
i also am now very worried about Austin. If he had a setback on a back issue, its very possible that he damaged his sciatic nerve and would have an issue similar to Beatty...not good for him at all, especially when Kuhn looked like an animal possessed out there with the 1's...

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
I can't tell you when in the game....but it was a slant play,,,Barden had perfect position ...but instead of using his size to keep the cb behind him ...like a big tight end would do or a basketball player.......he let him get around him to break up the pass........I know this is just one example....but it is what Jomo and I are talking about

I'll find it and watch for poor effort, do you remember what quarter it was in? That was a brutally boring game, lol.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM
while we all know Eli is P.C., he wont just make up something or say something he doesnt believe in...For him to be praising Barden is a good thing, and about how he earned his opportunities...I think thats a great thing and I believe we could see Barden have a good year. If he can replicate his play vs the bears consistently, one would think he would HAVE to get some playing time. Granted it was sporadic, but Barden DID look impressive. Tillman aint no joke corner, and they also have a legit scheme. It was nice to see Barden flash...

It really was, they worked together near Eli's home all winter, it would be nice to see that extra work pay off for him, great kid, great attitude and all the tools to be a weapon.

fansince69
08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I'll find it and watch for poor effort, do you remember what quarter it was in? That was a brutally boring game, lol.

Off top of my head I think the starters were still in.....it was first half Im pretty sure....Im not sure I would classify it as poor effort as much as bad technique as in just not understanding how to use his size to his advantage....

I almost wonder if he was always the biggest kid in the class that was taught not to beat up the smaller kids....lol.....He acts like a gentle Giant...no pun intended

giantsfan420
08-26-2012, 03:55 PM
r u two sure it was the bears game? i dont think barden missed a pass when he was targeted but I could be forgetting one...I know vs the Jets, Cromartie got in his hips, pulled his jersey and arm, and broke up a pass (to me that was OBVIOUS defensive holding). and besides, if not playing well vs the jets is reason to rag on a guy, every wr in the league needs to be cut bc the jets do that to great wrs like nicks...

fansince69
08-26-2012, 04:01 PM
r u two sure it was the bears game? i dont think barden missed a pass when he was targeted but I could be forgetting one...I know vs the Jets, Cromartie got in his hips, pulled his jersey and arm, and broke up a pass (to me that was OBVIOUS defensive holding). and besides, if not playing well vs the jets is reason to rag on a guy, every wr in the league needs to be cut bc the jets do that to great wrs like nicks...

I said it was the jets game...you say defensive holding which it might have been......almost seems like there were 2 similar plays but off top of my head I do not remember.....I say......if he had used his size Comardie is not in a position to get his hand in......thats my opinion...

giantsfan420
08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
barden did have good positioning, thats why cromartie was all over him pulling his jersey and arm...

fansince69
08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
barden did have good positioning, thats why cromartie was all over him pulling his jersey and arm...

he HAD good position he just didn't maintain good position.....guess well agree to disagree.......half the people on the board seem to Jernigan should have caught his ball in the end zone one handed...I think Barden was less interfered with that Jernigan was....but again...its all opinion.....very hard to conclude what happens without the penalties or lack of

does Douglass get his nice return without the 2 holds?....we will never know

Buddy333
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Look, he was drafted as a project just 3 years ago. After his rookie season when he was given a chance he broke his ankle and was out for quite a while. He looked good the other night. He won't start over Nicks, Cruz, or Randle, but he looked good. It's hard to think of who won't make it. JJ showed some flash this pre season, and Hixon is a vet of the team. Then they have some nice FA's. Seriously, I wish they could play CB.

fansince69
08-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Look, he was drafted as a project just 3 years ago. After his rookie season when he was given a chance he broke his ankle and was out for quite a while. He looked good the other night. He won't start over Nicks, Cruz, or Randle, but he looked good. It's hard to think of who won't make it. JJ showed some flash this pre season, and Hixon is a vet of the team. Then they have some nice FA's. Seriously, I wish they could play CB.

Yeah were loaded at WR DE RB and LB but have no OL or CB left

Buddy333
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
So true, although the OL,was not that bad the other night. Truth is there are some good teams that don't have the best OL's.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Off top of my head I think the starters were still in.....it was first half Im pretty sure....Im not sure I would classify it as poor effort as much as bad technique as in just not understanding how to use his size to his advantage....

I almost wonder if he was always the biggest kid in the class that was taught not to beat up the smaller kids....lol.....He acts like a gentle Giant...no pun intended

I have mentioned a few times in various posts that his technique on inside breaks is one of his biggest challenges as a professional athlete. Which of course is what the Giants system is based on. He was an incredible college athlete but playing at Cal Poly often went against defensive backs far less talented than he see's now on a daily basis. That's no excuse, CP has a great program and has produced numerous pro prospects, it simply slowed his development to this point. I think I found the play you are referencing, if it is this play I would call it a great play by Cromartie, not a great pass but tremendous read and jump by 31. I will look for another play to see if something like this happens again. this is a tough example, I can see someone being dissapointed he didnt use his body more but it was a tremendous play by the defender. And it appears that there is a little contact before the deflection as well. Could have been called to be honest.

jomo
08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
barden did have good positioning, thats why cromartie was all over him pulling his jersey and arm...Is it just me or does Cromartie hold on every single play? I say this after seeing him in about 20 games now.

Captain Chaos
08-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Yawn....another Barden bashing thread, hmm what's the next thread?

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Is it just me or does Cromartie hold on every single play? I say this after seeing him in about 20 games now.

He is aggressive with those hands of his, that is for sure.

seawolf47
08-26-2012, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Chaos;459519]Yawn....another Barden bashing thread, hmm what's the next thread?[/QUOTE

quite the opposite, discussing his upside here.

TheShouldersOf
08-26-2012, 05:17 PM
What i keep saying is 'Consistency',

he had a good game, will he be consistent? where has he been before? they were obviously targeting him to see if he could survive, and he made good plays, but that is what he should be doing, not something 'Special' about him