PDA

View Full Version : The DT Situation

kbusch22
08-27-2012, 12:59 AM
So with Opening Night fast approaching, how do you see the mess at DT working out in terms of the 53 man roster? The first two are obvious - Joseph and Bernard. And there will also be a 3rd healthy DT on the active roster - with Hendricks, Kuhn and the recently signed Marcus Thomas fighting for the spot. I don't see Oren Wilson or Carlton Powell being in the discussion, they may even be among those cut before Monday is over.

But then it gets a little murky. Austin will surely be DT #4 on the roster. It doesn't sound like he'll be ready for Opening Night but they aren't going to cut him nor will they put him on IR and force him to miss a 3rd straight season. And then you have Canty, who also sounds unlikely to play on Opening Night but might be not too far behind that. Plus there's Shaun Rogers who hasn't gone on IR yet and sounds optimistic that he can play with blood thinners.

I'm guessing Hendricks sticks around with Kuhn being stashed on the practice squad assuming he goes unclaimed. Unfortunately I'd have to say Canty winds up on the PUP list. I doubt it will take him 6 more weeks to heal, but carrying a 5th DT on the roster is a luxury I'm just not sure the Giants can afford, especially since they're probably going to need to carry extra help in the secondary. Meanwhile Rogers is cut with a handshake agreement to bring him back once he feels fully capable of playing.

How do you think this will play out?

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 02:20 AM
I don't know man we gotta see how thomas and austin play and then we'll have an answer no point in guessing.

Giantsfan241
08-27-2012, 02:36 AM
although i believe that we pay too much for canty we should cut or restructure asap joseph is the way forward with hendricks they are 2 beast and soon it will jpp and ojomo, how about that guys nasty d line.

Redeyejedi
08-27-2012, 08:23 AM
53 players just isnt enough roster spots with how big and fast these guys are today. So many more injuries. They need to expand the rosters

fansince69
08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
53 players just isnt enough roster spots with how big and fast these guys are today. So many more injuries. They need to expand the rosters

Then they have to increase salary cap,,,which in turn would cut into owners profits.....this is never about football.....this is always about business and the bottom line

Redeyejedi
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Then they have to increase salary cap,,,which in turn would cut into owners profits.....this is never about football.....this is always about business and the bottom lineI understand that but if the NFL is serious about long term health of the players more depth on the roster would go a long way. Right Now guys rush back play hurt because just not enough bodies 3 more roster spots could clean that up some.

fansince69
08-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I understand that but if the NFL is serious about long term health of the players more depth on the roster would go a long way. Right Now guys rush back play hurt because just not enough bodies 3 more roster spots could clean that up some.

They are not really concerned with the health of the players.....they are concerned with law suits that the players bring by being hurt.........as long as they install new rules for safety...they cover their asses in court....which in turn keeps them from getting sued

if you watch ....everything comes down to money for the owners...not the safety of the players or the enjoyment of the fans.........it is just like any other big business......

nhpgiantsfan
08-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I will never understand the reason for the IR rules in football. Why can't they have something similar to the DL in baseball. Why do you have to either keep them on the roster or IR them for the year. It makes no sense. And they can only be on pup if the didn't practice at all in camp? Why?

fansince69
08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I will never understand the reason for the IR rules in football. Why can't they have something similar to the DL in baseball. Why do you have to either keep them on the roster or IR them for the year. It makes no sense. And they can only be on pup if the didn't practice at all in camp? Why?

baseball is 162 games...football is 16...baseball also has minor league players they can bring up to replace guys when on dl......it does seem like football could adjust.....Im sure there are reasons we as fans do not understand....or are not aware of

ozzie0075
08-27-2012, 09:20 AM
I actually think Kuhn makes the roster he played a lot with the first team against the Bears. How DT position shapes up depends if Canty stays on the PUP list or not to start the season.

Redeyejedi
08-27-2012, 09:21 AM
baseball is 162 games...football is 16...baseball also has minor league players they can bring up to replace guys when on dl......it does seem like football could adjust.....Im sure there are reasons we as fans do not understand....or are not aware ofIt comes back to money.They could easily use the practice squad as part of the inactive roster but that would mean paying them more

fansince69
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
It comes back to money.They could easily use the practice squad as part of the inactive roster but that would mean paying them more

there is one huge difference between the practice squad and the minor leagues

when a player is sent to minor league he does not have to pass through waivers....so no matter what that player is still owned by the team that sent him down.....every time a player is sent to practice squad there is a chance that he ends up on another team.........it is the NFL's way of helping parity........you dont really want this guy on your team so lets see if anyone else does before you can stash him

if you think about it.... the nfl has a 53 man roster with 8 guys that no one else wants

baseball has a 24 man roster with 16 more waiting in the wings....plus 3 or more other minor league teams that they pretty much have control of

jimmie ray
08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Meanwhile Rogers is cut with a handshake agreement to bring him back once he feels fully capable of playing.

What's that worth?