PDA

View Full Version : The giants have the #1 D in the league

appodictic
08-28-2012, 01:00 AM
When our D played well towards the end of last year we dominated.

Let's look at this team.
DE-Tuck, Osi, JPP. Incredibly dangerous crew to take a QB out of a game or strip sack them. They are going to start the year all healthy.

Roll, Phillips, Both of them have great coverage and tackling skills

Webster is one of the best coverage corner backs in the NFL, had a bunch of picks last year without taking too many risks.

The jury is still out on prince, but I think he can come in and play at a high level.

Hosley, Will Hill can have a very big impact on the team, they can play at a high level and give the starters some breaks. Tyron is a hard nosed player.

Marcus Thomas is a good pickup, should help until Canty returns.

Williams started making big plays at the end of last year, he will continue to get better.

Rivers looks great, talent wise we have not had a LB like this in years, our system can use him.

If you think about this defence we only really lost one big player from last year and that is Aaron Ross. While I like him I believe he can be replaced by prince and Hosley, and maybe TT if he makes a comeback.

From last year as well the Jets and the Bears game I just see us being a dominant defence. I cant wait to see these guys play.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 01:12 AM
We have great talent, and great chemistry. It's going to fall down to two things: 1) everyone staying healthy, and 2) Perry Fewell actually utilizing this defense the way it's supposed to...

nygfan90
08-28-2012, 01:23 AM
We have great talent, and great chemistry. It's going to fall down to two things: 1) everyone staying healthy, and 2) Perry Fewell actually utilizing this defense the way it's supposed to...Totally agree with both points, especially the fewell one. There were SO many times last year my gf and i were yelling at the tv saying "WTF why aren't we going after the god**** QB?" lol Thank god he changed it up right before the playoffs.

ksmooth22
08-28-2012, 02:26 AM
i feel like fewell doesnt blitz enough, in a pass happy league, you gotta blitz the quarterback man and we do not do it enough, kiwanuka should be used like ware is, blitzing 95 percent of the time.

rainierjef
08-28-2012, 02:30 AM
and you've decided this in preseason?

rainierjef
08-28-2012, 02:32 AM
i feel like fewell doesnt blitz enough, in a pass happy league, you gotta blitz the quarterback man and we do not do it enough, kiwanuka should be used like ware is, blitzing 95 percent of the time.
you do understand we run a 4-3 defense right?
you do know what a 4-3 defense is right?
you do know what defense is right?

*im sorry that last one was uncalled for, i'm auditioning for the comic relief on the boards....
BA-DUM-DUM-CHING.........

thomsoad
08-28-2012, 02:38 AM
With everything being equal you might have an arguement. But with our schedule this year? ... Frankly, top 10 would be an amazing accomplishment. Im a giant fan but im first to admit i didnt draft the D.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 02:39 AM

*im sorry that last one was uncalled for, i'm auditioning for the comic relief on the boards....

Fewell still doesn't like to send extra rushers. He wants at least 7 in coverage every single play. But if you give any QB all day, even Curtis Painter could find someone open. Rushing the passer is what the Giants are built for. Without the pass rush, our defense is nothing. Spags knew how to manage our defense. Fewell needs to learn that. He could work even better wonders on a team with an awesome secondary, but we don't have that, especially with the injuries we seem to suffer back there every season...

TheEnigma
08-28-2012, 02:41 AM
It'll probably be a NFCW or AFCN team that has the #1 defense since those divisions usually have strong D's and weak O's to buff up the stats accordingly.

rainierjef
08-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Fewell still doesn't like to send extra rushers. He wants at least 7 in coverage every single play. But if you give any QB all day, even Curtis Painter could find someone open. Rushing the passer is what the Giants are built for. Without the pass rush, our defense is nothing. Spags knew how to manage our defense. Fewell needs to learn that. He could work even better wonders on a team with an awesome secondary, but we don't have that, especially with the injuries we seem to suffer back there every season...

I hear you and i understand the importance of the rush but this is why we drafted the pass rushers we have and use a rotational DE system to creat pressure with 4 while taking away the quick lanes. and to rush kiwi 95 percent of the time are you okay with that?

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 03:02 AM
I hear you and i understand the importance of the rush but this is why we drafted the pass rushers we have and use a rotational DE system to creat pressure with 4 while taking away the quick lanes. and to rush kiwi 95 percent of the time are you okay with that?

Not quite 95% of the time. But I see his value more as a rusher than in coverage in passing situations. That's just me though... I don't see him making plays downfield that often, maybe i'm just missing something.

Redeyejedi
08-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Giants defense has talent they are just never healthy.If they could ever have even 9 starters on the field for most of the season id be shocked

Cool Papa B.
08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Giants are going to have an elite defense this year. And the speed, quickness and athleticism of the LB core will make them even more dangerous. And having Hosley cover the nickel receiver allowing Rolle to go back to Safety will bring the secondary to another level. But I still believe SF defense is #1 in the NFL. Their front 7 is scary good, and if they stay healthy, they will dominate the NFC West again.

And ever since they got Blackburn back, Fewell's D has been running more smoother.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
We have 1 proven CB on the roster, there's no way we're the best D in the NFL.

If we can pressure the QB like we did in the playoffs last season, we can be top 10.

M00KIE
08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Give me a break. Best Dline...maybe. Best D? No way.

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 08:51 AM

And you do understand that there are times when the four man rush is not getting it done in a 4 - 3 defense and adjustments have to be made, in game, and you might have to bring a corner or a safety or a backer?

I feel Fewell was very fortunate to have had the defensive talent he had because last year his in game coaching was lacking.

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Giants are going to have an elite defense this year. And the speed, quickness and athleticism of the LB core will make them even more dangerous. And having Hosley cover the nickel receiver allowing Rolle to go back to Safety will bring the secondary to another level. But I still believe SF defense is #1 in the NFL. Their front 7 is scary good, and if they stay healthy, they will dominate the NFC West again.

And ever since they got Blackburn back, Fewell's D has been running more smoother.

Agreed but I would have liked to have seen Kiwanuka get a shot at MLB in preseason so that Boley and Rivers could be on the field at the same time w Kiwi. I like the way Kiwi stuffs the run and feel like he could help out up the middle. It's probably too late now.

Redeyejedi
08-28-2012, 08:56 AM

If we can pressure the QB like we did in the playoffs last season, we can be top 10. Giants will struggle to win games early in the season with this CB group.U cant lose 3 of your top 5 cornerbacks and not have it hurt your team. Add in the problems at DT and the nagging injuries with Osi and JPP this defense will give up points. Im just hoping they can win enough games and get healthy at the end of the season

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
And you do understand that there are times when the four man rush is not getting it done in a 4 - 3 defense and adjustments have to be made, in game, and you might have to bring a corner or a safety or a backer?

I feel Fewell was very fortunate to have had the defensive talent he had because last year his in game coaching was lacking.

We're a little below average when it comes to blitzing so maybe we can do it a little more. I noticed Boley is a good blitzer but Rolle and Phillips quite suck at it. Would sending them more improve that ? I doubt it.
Sending CBs ? Well when you do that, you want very good coverage for the few seconds the blitz needs to get there. We're pretty short in the good CB department, and were last season too, so it's tough to pick one of those and use him as a pass rusher.

So, few options ...

Comparing the way Kiwanuka and Ware are used as pass rushers makes little sense, if I may. Ware is a 34 OLB, his main job is to pass rush, 34 OLBs are not even considered blitzers.

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 09:10 AM
We're a little below average when it comes to blitzing so maybe we can do it a little more. I noticed Boley is a good blitzer but Rolle and Phillips quite suck at it. Would sending them more improve that ? I doubt it.
Sending CBs ? Well when you do that, you want very good coverage for the few seconds the blitz needs to get there. We're pretty short in the good CB department, and were last season too, so it's tough to pick one of those and use him as a pass rusher.

So, few options ...

Comparing the way Kiwanuka and Ware are used as pass rushers makes little sense, if I may. Ware is a 34 OLB, his main job is to pass rush, 34 OLBs are not even considered blitzers.

Two schools of thought here. Sometimes you blitz to help your corners out, sometimes you don't. As far as Kiwanuka and Ware, I agree with you, it's apples and oranges.

Not sure I agree when you say Rolle sucks at blitzing. I think he could be very effective if they weren't forced to use him in ten other roles on the defense. As far as Phillips, I can see a scenario next year where Phillips is left to go the free agent route and Hill steps in.

Diamondring
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I'll be ready to see if we have a number one defense in the regular season.

JimC
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM

You are aware that we won the Super Bowl and beat the Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Niners and Pats the last five games. They were some pretty damn good teams. I think Fewell is doing a FINE job. My goodness, what the hell do you want???????

Diamondring
08-28-2012, 09:32 AM

If we can pressure the QB like we did in the playoffs last season, we can be top 10.What you have said here is one of the reasons why I like to say offense and defense win championships. One can carry the other when things get tough on one side. Both offense and defense gives your team more of an edge against one demensional teams that have one good side and the other not so good or just decent.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:49 AM
You are aware that we won the Super Bowl and beat the Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Niners and Pats the last five games. They were some pretty damn good teams. I think Fewell is doing a FINE job. My goodness, what the hell do you want???????

Well at the same time we lost to the Skins twice, the Seahawks at home, the Young lead Eagles (a guy who was just cut by the Bills) ...
So it's really the inconsistency of the unit that's a killer.

In Fewell's defense, being w/o Boley and Umenyiora and with Tuck not healthy, it's tough to play great.

FloydEddings2
08-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Niners were better last year and they have all 11 returning. I'm still worried about up the middle.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
they dont need to be the #1 D....not necessary for success. I would like them to be stout up the middle vs the run.
The will have their sacs....no question about that.

nhpgiantsfan
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
This defense is far from elite. Obviously we have 3 pro-bowl DE's. We have a real good up and coming DT in Joseph. Our LB's are average at best, not bad against the run, but not great at all against the pass. The unit will probably improve when they can combine their youth and athletesism with knowledge and experience. But they aren't there yet. Our secondary is full of question marks and in a pass happy league, this is dangerous. We have one CB that we can count on right now. Webster is very good, however I do think he is over rated by some on these boards. I think calling him a shut down corner might be a stretch. As for the rest of our CBs, we are rolling the dice right now. We are real good at safety. Phillips is excellent, and Rolle is a good player but where will he be playing this year?

Basically, we are great up front and strong at Safety. Mthe rest is nothing remarkable .

GameTime
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
This defense is far from elite. Obviously we have 3 pro-bowl DE's. We have a real good up and coming DT in Joseph. Our LB's are average at best, not bad against the run, but not great at all against the pass. The unit will probably improve when they can combine their youth and athletesism with knowledge and experience. But they aren't there yet. Our secondary is full of question marks and in a pass happy league, this is dangerous. We have one CB that we can count on right now. Webster is very good, however I do think he is over rated by some on these boards. I think calling him a shut down corner might be a stretch. As for the rest of our CBs, we are rolling the dice right now. We are real good at safety. Phillips is excellent, and Rolle is a good player but where will he be playing this year?

Basically, we are great up front and strong at Safety. Mthe rest is nothing remarkable .
Agreed....other then Webster the CB and slot CB is a crap shoot right now. TC mentioned he is adement about keeping Rolle at "his" position and not going to nickle corner. Hope that works out.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
they dont need to be the #1 D....not necessary for success. I would like them to be stout up the middle vs the run.
The will have their sacs....no question about that.

Obviously stopping the run is important, but it's nothing if you can't stop the pass, so the priority has to be pass defense.

Darelle Revis is the only shutdown corner in the NFL, putting Webster in the same category is ... hmm ... emotion lead optimism, let's call it that.

I agree with your assessment of the defense.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Obviously stopping the run is important, but it's nothing if you can't stop the pass, so the priority has to be pass defense.

Darelle Revis is the only shutdown corner in the NFL, putting Webster in the same category is ... hmm ... emotion lead optimism, let's call it that.

Not too worried about them stopping the pass. I think they will be OK in that area......

gumby74
08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Uhm. We were pretty bad for most of last season.

Manstache
08-28-2012, 10:25 AM

i hear you, but fewell got everything under control. dude, WE WON THE STRAP last year while primarily rushing 4, so he really needs to learn nothing. we have the illest pass rush in the game WITHOUT blitzing. as u all know, there is a downside to blitzing (plax reaped the benefits with 35 seconds left in sb 42) as there is a detriment to not creating enough pressure, say by only bringing 3 guys (bill sheridan anyone?). last years results says p.f. way is a successful 1.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Not too worried about them stopping the pass. I think they will be OK in that area......

Well we were middle of the pack last season (#16 in NY/A, #20 in DPR, #17 in DRQBR, #20 in DRPYPA ...) so it's not a given.

Overall what's crazy is that we made Matt Moore look like Tom Brady and a few weeks late, Tom Brady look like Matt Moore !

VBGiantsFan
08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately, the Jets probably have the best defense in football. The only reason being Revis. We have the better pass rush, but they have a much better cover secondary. When your secondary can cover like they do, the line doesn't have to get to the QB as fast. Our D-line has to get to the QB to make up for an average secondary.

That being said, our D is more than adequate to win games with Eli at the helm. 2 Superbowls doesn't lie. A great pass rush and a great QB is key, and not many teams have what we have in both regards.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
i hear you, but fewell got everything under control. dude, WE WON THE STRAP last year while primarily rushing 4, so he really needs to learn nothing. we have the illest pass rush in the game WITHOUT blitzing. as u all know, there is a downside to blitzing (plax reaped the benefits with 35 seconds left in sb 42) as there is a detriment to not creating enough pressure, say by only bringing 3 guys (bill sheridan anyone?). last years results says p.f. way is a successful 1.

It was the last five-six games where Fewell got his act together and started using our pass rushers like pass rushers. In some of those games (like the 2nd redskins game, and the saints game) Fewell looked a lot like Sheridan. I know that blitzing isn't always a good thing, especially with a secondary in tatters with all the injuries, but mixing up blitz plays into the standard playbook is necessary to run an NFL defense. We know that Boley is good in both the blitz and in coverage, so switching between 4 and 5 man rushes would be plenty helpful. I'm not asking Fewell to put 10 guys in the box, I'm just asking him to utilize the Giants defense the way it was built for: Get to the QB and the rest falls like a house of cards. You don't necessarily need a sack, but the pressure is important. Tom Brady getting all day to throw has a lot of poise and grace, and puts up tons of points. Tom Brady about to get his face planted in the turf is like a deer in headlights.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Before the first snap?

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
We have great talent, and great chemistry. It's going to fall down to two things: 1) everyone staying healthy, and 2) Perry Fewell actually utilizing this defense the way it's supposed to...

Ah, let's get after Fewell early as he has no clue

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Ah, let's get after Fewell early as he has no clue

I'm hoping he does well... he seemed to have a grasp of how Giants defense works towards the end, and I want to see more of THAT Fewell, not the one that seemingly refused to rush the passer at all (and dropped 4 games in a row despite near-flawless play by Eli).

rainierjef
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Yeah so lets blitz the SAM linebacker 95% of the times to offset that. and watch the quick slant or screen destroy us smfh.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 04:50 PM
The main issue with Fewell's scheme was how complicated they were ... Guys were happy to limit misunderstandings after 18 months in the system. Are you kidding me ?
The fact that we had a lot of injuries made it worse.

When Fewell "dumbed it down" and we got Boley and Umenyiora back and a healthy Tuck, it was way better.

ShakeandBake
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm hoping he does well... he seemed to have a grasp of how Giants defense works towards the end, and I want to see more of THAT Fewell, not the one that seemingly refused to rush the passer at all (and dropped 4 games in a row despite near-flawless play by Eli).

Our defense is designed so that we only need to rush four, so it's no surprise that Fewell is more prone to not blitz extra guys

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah so lets blitz the SAM linebacker 95% of the times of offset that. and watch the quick slant or screen destroy us smfh.

Let's rush 3 and watch as Matt Freaking Ryan has all day to throw a pass and shred our already depleted secondary...

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like it's either 95% SAM blitz or 3 pass rush, huh ?! Nothing in terms of middle ground guys ?

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah so lets blitz the SAM linebacker 95% of the times of offset that. and watch the quick slant or screen destroy us smfh.

Ridiculous response to a reasonable point. Exaggerating my statement so that you can "syfh" - keep on shaking.

Bigbluefan77
08-28-2012, 05:07 PM
we got healthy at the right time last year which also helped get ready to get some guys back this year too

rainierjef
08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Let's rush 3 and watch as Matt Freaking Ryan has all day to throw a pass and shred our already depleted secondary...

we run a 4-3 defense we are rushing 4!!!

jomo
08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
we got healthy at the right time last year which also helped get ready to get some guys back this year tooYou introduce a healthy and invigorated Osi and Tuck and not only is your DL play upgraded but so is your pass coverage as well.

rainierjef
08-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Ridiculous response to a reasonable point. Exaggerating my statement so that you can "syfh" - keep on shaking.
I can say the same for your ridiculous post. i was responding to the poster saying use Kiwi like ware and blitz 95 percent of the time, if you agree with that which it seems like you do based on your response to my post then you do not understand what a 4-3 defense is; i am assuming.

Diamondring
08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Our defense is designed so that we only need to rush four, so it's no surprise that Fewell is more prone to not blitz extra guysCan't rush just 4 all of the time unless your D-line can dominate all O-lines. All O-lines aren't the same like the Giants faced in 09. This is why Sheridan didn't look good after the first five games cause the Giants played against powerful offenses. Then you have extra blockers to help out. That can wear your D-line out if they don't get help time to time.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
we run a 4-3 defense we are rushing 4!!!

Most of last year until the end it certainly didn't seem like we were rushing 4 (i.e. one d lineman was dropping into coverage). That totally worked out well for us...

I fully get that in a 4-3 you don't send a linebacker all the time. But if you just keep sending the same 4 guys each play, eventually they're all going to get locked down...

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Most of last year until the end it certainly didn't seem like we were rushing 4 (i.e. one d lineman was dropping into coverage).

We rushed 3 less than 7% of snaps, so let's not make this the reason of our shortcomings on defense ;)

Laurah1275
08-28-2012, 06:34 PM
When our D played well towards the end of last year we dominated.

Let's look at this team.
DE-Tuck, Osi, JPP. Incredibly dangerous crew to take a QB out of a game or strip sack them. They are going to start the year all healthy.

Roll, Phillips, Both of them have great coverage and tackling skills

Webster is one of the best coverage corner backs in the NFL, had a bunch of picks last year without taking too many risks.

The jury is still out on prince, but I think he can come in and play at a high level.

Hosley, Will Hill can have a very big impact on the team, they can play at a high level and give the starters some breaks. Tyron is a hard nosed player.

Marcus Thomas is a good pickup, should help until Canty returns.

Williams started making big plays at the end of last year, he will continue to get better.

Rivers looks great, talent wise we have not had a LB like this in years, our system can use him.

If you think about this defence we only really lost one big player from last year and that is Aaron Ross. While I like him I believe he can be replaced by prince and Hosley, and maybe TT if he makes a comeback.

From last year as well the Jets and the Bears game I just see us being a dominant defence. I cant wait to see these guys play.Enough said :)

Roswell777
08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I can say the same for your ridiculous post. i was responding to the poster saying use Kiwi like ware and blitz 95 percent of the time, if you agree with that which it seems like you do based on your response to my post then you do not understand what a 4-3 defense is; i am assuming.

You quoted me. Not him. So i guess you're saying that my point had nothing to do with your comment. And to address your condescending remark, yes, I understand the difference between a 4 - 3 and a 3 - 4 defense and even remember a time when the Giants won two Super Bowls with a 3 - 4.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
We rushed 3 less than 7% of snaps, so let's not make this the reason of our shortcomings on defense ;)

If that's the case, why did rushing 4 not work for most of the season?

fansince69
08-28-2012, 08:06 PM
If that's the case, why did rushing 4 not work for most of the season?

Tuck was playing hurt...Osi was out...Joseph isn't really a pass rusher just there to push the pocket back.....Canty about same....only real rusher was JPP...seemed like he did ok

appodictic
08-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Shutdown corner is a loaded term. Webster does an excellent job shadowing really good recievers, you do not see too many holding, pass interference calls, you do not see many balls thrown his way, that and he had 6 picks. I think the lead was 7. I do not know know what else you have to do to be an elite corner. last time I checked Revis & co. got whooped on by Eli manning and crew.

Giantsfan241
08-29-2012, 12:08 AM
we are weak in secondary very injured our front line always gets beat up and our lbs havent been good in a while i dont think we will ever be #1 maybe #1 on paper but in the game I think we are above average not #1

BillTheGreek
08-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Now we need the # 2 Offense in the league !

shotgundraw
08-29-2012, 04:46 AM
Shutdown corner is a loaded term. Webster does an excellent job shadowing really good recievers, you do not see too many holding, pass interference calls, you do not see many balls thrown his way, that and he had 6 picks. I think the lead was 7. I do not know know what else you have to do to be an elite corner. last time I checked Revis & co. got whooped on by Eli manning and crew.

Revis is on his own I think. He owned Nicks when we played them and a great day overall.
He's the only CB in the game who is trully alone on his side of the field, even though Peterson in Arizona does it some too, and he was pretty good at the end of the season (see the Dallas game).

Webster was targeted 108 times last season, what's up with this "QB don't throw his way" legend ?

Jiffy Jeff
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM

With a relatively suspect secondary? Pass me whatever you're toking.

shotgundraw
09-09-2012, 06:33 AM
What ? This thread is dead ? How come ?

Toadofsteel
09-09-2012, 07:30 AM
It was dead before september... maybe thats why the defense didn't show up.

appodictic
09-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I posted a related follow up thread "Still cant believe our defence" retouching on the message here. WTF. How does the same core of people go from shutting down teams to getting whooped?

JayMillah
09-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I posted a related follow up thread "Still cant believe our defence" retouching on the message here. WTF. How does the same core of people go from shutting down teams to getting whooped?
No talks of firing TC yet.

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 01:10 PM
No talks of firing TC yet.Like Dallas fans never call for their coaches head?????????