PDA

View Full Version : Martinek will make someone a good back.

mainefan
08-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Why Ware and Brown are on this team ticks me off. What to heck do they have to offer? Maybe Martinek didn't have what it takes, but he showed me a lot more potential then the other two. Neither of those guys could take that swing pass in like he did. He should have had more of a chance. Brown is a castoff, and Ware should be.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 02:20 AM
I don't know why he was cut either... I was thinking he'd be a PS candidate, but not cut in the first round like this. It's too bad we already have a beast FB in Hynoski. A good problem for the team to have, but a shame to let such a promising FB go. Best wishes to him in his further career, except against us.

GMan-67
08-28-2012, 06:19 AM
I don't know why he was cut either... I was thinking he'd be a PS candidate, but not cut in the first round like this. It's too bad we already have a beast FB in Hynoski. A good problem for the team to have, but a shame to let such a promising FB go. Best wishes to him in his further career, except against us.

well the only way you can sign someone to your practice squad is to cut them and have them clear waivers

M00KIE
08-28-2012, 07:38 AM
You're not privileged to the information the GM/coaches are. Which means simply, they know more than you. If he hasn't beat out anyone, there's a reason why.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 07:41 AM
You're not privileged to the information the GM/coaches are. Which means simply, they know more than you. If he hasn't beat out anyone, there's a reason why.

Yup. We're not with them, we only get a glimpse at what Martinek did. Maybe the guy doesn't get the playbook ? Maybe he can't pass protect and worse, doesn't want to learn ? Those are speculations, but who knows ?

He still can go to the PS, looks like he's gonna clear waivers too - weird for such a promising young talen, huh ?

Redeyejedi
08-28-2012, 07:53 AM
I saw nothing from him that led me to believe he was better then any RB on the Giants roster

miked1958
08-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Yup. We're not with them, we only get a glimpse at what Martinek did. Maybe the guy doesn't get the playbook ? Maybe he can't pass protect and worse, doesn't want to learn ? Those are speculations, but who knows ?He still can go to the PS, looks like he's gonna clear waivers too - weird for such a promising young talen, huh ?how does that work? If he clears waivers can they put him right on the PS now or do they have to wait till after final cuts?

fansince69
08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
how does that work? If he clears waivers can they put him right on the PS now or do they have to wait till after final cuts?<br><br>after final cuts...when all players are available for waivers

He can actually be claimed by another team now and be recut and have to pass through waivers again

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
After a player clears waivers, he's available to anyone, including his former team. I guess the practice squad is to be announced the day they go to 53, if Martinek is still available friday they could call him.

It seems unlikely (why give the other teams a chance to give him a workout if you want to PS him ?) but it's possible.

thomsoad
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
After a player clears waivers, he's available to anyone, including his former team. I guess the practice squad is to be announced the day they go to 53, if Martinek is still available friday they could call him.

It seems unlikely (why give the other teams a chance to give him a workout if you want to PS him ?) but it's possible.

Why would the Giants waste a roster space for either a RB thats too slow or a FB thats too small? Or a ST player whose name I never heard once on a kickoff? Some of you guys have really got to take the blinders off man.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Why would the Giants waste a roster space for either a RB thats too slow or a FB thats too small? Or a ST player whose name I never heard once on a kickoff? Some of you guys have really got to take the blinders off man.

I don't understand your message.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 09:04 AM
would have made a nice local guy story. If he is legit he will catch on somewhere.......

fansince69
08-28-2012, 09:07 AM

But he's from New Jersey

njg85m
08-28-2012, 09:33 AM

David wilson 40 time - 4.41
Joe Martinek 40 time - 4.40

njg85m
08-28-2012, 09:41 AM
I saw nothing from him that led me to believe he was better then any RB on the Giants roster

Wouldn't he had to have actually received some snaps at RB in order to show something one way or the other? I don't understand your reasoning here.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't he had to have actually received some snaps at RB in order to show something one way or the other? I don't understand your reasoning here.

Him not getting snaps in games is pretty telling in itself.

njg85m
08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Him not getting snaps in games is pretty telling in itself.

Not really.
He was picked up as a FB, not a RB. I doubt our coaches had any intention of giving the backup FB snaps at RB when there were 6 guys competing for RB positions already.

The only thing that annoys me is that the guy has a ton of talent, his natural position is and always has been at RB and he has always excelled at RB, yet Schiano did everything is his power to keep him off the field, and finally just made him a FB. Despite the fact that when he was on the field he averaged more than 5 yds per carry at Rutgers.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
If he'd shown anything in practice they would have.

njg85m
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
If he'd shown anything in practice they would have.

Again, he was picked up as a FB, not a RB. You can't show something at a position that you weren't given a chance to play...

thomsoad
08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Again, he was picked up as a FB, not a RB. You can't show something at a position that you weren't given a chance to play...

Yeah a 220 lb fullback ... that aint gonna get you on any NFL team.

thomsoad
08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Not really.
He was picked up as a FB, not a RB. I doubt our coaches had any intention of giving the backup FB snaps at RB when there were 6 guys competing for RB positions already.

The only thing that annoys me is that the guy has a ton of talent, his natural position is and always has been at RB and he has always excelled at RB, yet Schiano did everything is his power to keep him off the field, and finally just made him a FB. Despite the fact that when he was on the field he averaged more than 5 yds per carry at Rutgers.

Its a conspiracy I tell you!! (havent figured out RED FONT yet)

gumby74
08-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I was cheering for him - being from Rutgers and all. Oh well.

TheEnigma
08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
David wilson 40 time - 4.41
Joe Martinek 40 time - 4.40

He's not as slow as people perceive him but 40 times aren't the same as game speed. Like Nicks is faster than his 4.5 would lead you to believe and JPP doesn't look like a 4.70 athlete out on the field (He's still good but not THAT fast on Sundays).

njg85m
08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Its a conspiracy I tell you!! (havent figured out RED FONT yet)

Instead of making useless responses that don't even address what I said, maybe doing some research on his career would help?

He's the #1 RB in NJ football history, was a running back at Rutgers who was consistently pushed to the back of the depth chart, despite the fact that kid routinely outplayed every other RB on the team when he was given a chance. He averaged over 5 yds per carry and then during his senior year Schiano turned him into a 209 lb FB for whatever reason...which is what we eventually picked him up as.
I never said it's a conspiracy so you can drop the pointless sarcasm. All I'm saying is that he is a damn good RB who deserves a chance to play his natural position for somebody. Obviously with as many guys who are competing for RB spots on our team, we weren't going to give the back up "FB" a chance to split carries.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
would have made a nice local guy story. If he is legit he will catch on somewhere.......

If he clears waivers, he can hit the practice squad. If he does clear and we don't move in that direction they know things we don't.

miked1958
08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Well there is going to be more cuts that will seem questionable to us. We can't keep em all, as 27 more have to go shortly. I'm sure there will be more then a few head turners before its over. Hopefully a few od the more talented ones wind up on our PS

GMENAGAIN
08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Based upon what I saw, I would be surprised if he makes another team's 53 man roster.

njg85m
08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
If he clears waivers, he can hit the practice squad. If he does clear and we don't move in that direction they know things we don't.
Doubt he will.
He's the kind of guy Belichick, as one example, historically takes a chance on.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Well there is going to be more cuts that will seem questionable to us. We can't keep em all, as 27 more have to go shortly. I'm sure there will be more then a few head turners before its over. Hopefully a few od the more talented ones wind up on our PS

One thing is for sure, they are going to keep and cut based on what they know, not with emotion as we tend to see things. I remember when they cut O'Hara and Seubert, I thought T was going to tear up.

njg85m
08-28-2012, 02:48 PM
FWIW...been following him since HS.
Here are some of his Rutgers hightlights for anyone who is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo

jomo
08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Yup. We're not with them, we only get a glimpse at what Martinek did. Maybe the guy doesn't get the playbook ? Maybe he can't pass protect and worse, doesn't want to learn ? Those are speculations, but who knows ?

He still can go to the PS, looks like he's gonna clear waivers too - weird for such a promising young talen, huh ?Releasing someone early may be a slicker way to slide them through waivers??

Remember that for Jerry Reese, he's playing this game like 3 dimensional chess unlike the rest of us lol.

njg85m
08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
He's not as slow as people perceive him but 40 times aren't the same as game speed. Like Nicks is faster than his 4.5 would lead you to believe and JPP doesn't look like a 4.70 athlete out on the field (He's still good but not THAT fast on Sundays).

Understood and agreed.
I was responding to someone who called him "slow".
He's anything but.

thomsoad
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Instead of making useless responses that don't even address what I said, maybe doing some research on his career would help?

He's the #1 RB in NJ football history, was a running back at Rutgers who was consistently pushed to the back of the depth chart, despite the fact that kid routinely outplayed every other RB on the team when he was given a chance. He averaged over 5 yds per carry and then during his senior year Schiano turned him into a 209 lb FB for whatever reason...which is what we eventually picked him up as.
I never said it's a conspiracy so you can drop the pointless sarcasm. All I'm saying is that he is a damn good RB who deserves a chance to play his natural position for somebody. Obviously with as many guys who are competing for RB spots on our team, we weren't going to give the back up "FB" a chance to split carries.

First off im sorry...i can see that for whatever reason; this obviously is a very touchy subject for you.
That being said...no coach is going to let the better player sit or be waived just for the helluvit. For whatever reason....this guy just simply hasnt been "the man" in either college ... or with the NY Giants.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
The Giants staff knew he was really more of a RB when they picked him up ... They don't look at college players listings, see FB next to his name and go "oh, he's a FB, we won't look into his RB skills". Seriously, man, if they didn't feed him the ball, it's because they thought he wasn't good enough, not because they didn't think of it or whatnot.

Now this doesn't mean he won't be picked up and make the 53 somewhere ....

MattMeyerBud
08-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Why Ware and Brown are on this team ticks me off. What to heck do they have to offer? Maybe Martinek didn't have what it takes, but he showed me a lot more potential then the other two. Neither of those guys could take that swing pass in like he did. He should have had more of a chance. Brown is a castoff, and Ware should be.

double facepalm

these boards are crazy

you do realize that they all play different positions and we aren't carrying two fullbacks because we don't need it with Pascoe as the hybrid TE/FB and rhinosorous as a starter

Redeyejedi
08-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Not really.

The only thing that annoys me is that the guy has a ton of talent, his natural position is and always has been at RB and he has always excelled at RB, yet Schiano did everything is his power to keep him off the field, and finally just made him a FB. Despite the fact that when he was on the field he averaged more than 5 yds per carry at Rutgers.U may enjoy a website called Caste Football they have an article about Martinek. They think its racial

Giantsfan241
08-28-2012, 08:54 PM
we saw like 2 plays too little sample.

mainefan
08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
He is a HB. Didn't you read some of the other posts, or what? Has more speed and athletic ability then Brown or Ware. Even if he is only the fourth and short guy, that is a roster spot to me. Fourth and short can win you a superbow. He must have rubbed someone wrong. Was never given a chance. Any one know Martinek to see what his take was?

njg85m
08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
U may enjoy a website called Caste Football they have an article about Martinek. They think its racial

I was directed there VIA google search once before and honestly that site is a bit disturbing to me. On the surface it seems OK, but there seems to be a pretty big hint of bigotry and hate there once you dig a bit.

Still, discussing the topic of racial bias in sports is Taboo -- even today, and is a topic that deserves conversation. It's much more of an issue in college scouting than it is in the NFL, but I can definitely see examples in both.

Black QB's for example are rarely, if ever, given a chance UNLESS they can run. White RB's don't usually get scouted by big D1 schools, and if they make it to the big leagues are more times than not are told to pack on weight and are turned into FB's.

Just the way it is I guess.

Flip Empty
08-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Come on now - I watch highlight videos. I know better.

Still, discussing the topic of racial bias in sports is Taboo -- even today, and is a topic that deserves conversation. It's much more of an issue in college scouting than it is in the NFL, but I can definitely see examples in both.
I don't think I've ever seen a white cornerback.

GMENAGAIN
08-29-2012, 09:57 AM
He is a HB. Didn't you read some of the other posts, or what? Has more speed and athletic ability then Brown or Ware. Even if he is only the fourth and short guy, that is a roster spot to me. Fourth and short can win you a superbow. He must have rubbed someone wrong. Was never given a chance. Any one know Martinek to see what his take was?

I'll bet you dollars to donuts he does not make the 53 man roster of any NFL team.

miked1958
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I'll bet you dollars to donuts he does not make the 53 man roster of any NFL team.No but he is good enough to make someone's PS and with another year under his belt who knows... Or if someone loses a FB to injury during yr he may get a call

njg85m
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM

I believe Jason Sehorn was the last starting white CB. After his injury he became a safety.
That would be almost 15 years

MattMeyerBud
08-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Come on now - I watch highlight videos. I know better.

guess your a newer giants fan

mainefan
08-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Based upon what I saw, I would be surprised if he makes another team's 53 man roster.

Based on what you saw? He ran a couple of times, and did well. Based on what I saw, neither Ware nor Brown was worth keeping on the roster.

GMENAGAIN
08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Based on what you saw? He ran a couple of times, and did well. Based on what I saw, neither Ware nor Brown was worth keeping on the roster.

Dude, what are you, the guy's mother?

What you saw is obviously different from what the Giants FO and coaches saw. No offense, but I am going to defer to them after two Super Bowls in the last 5 years.

I stand by my statement that he won't make another team's 53 man roster.