PDA

View Full Version : NYG Tailgating - Definition for an English fan

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 06:00 AM
So I managed to convince the girlfriend to fly to NY for the Giants/Packers game for my birthday!

I'm hearing all about tailgating but no clue how it works as this kind of thing just doesnt happen in English sport!! So a good run though would be good!!

Also, I have a Parking ticket that I wont be using should anyone want it!

Lewis

jimmie ray
08-28-2012, 06:12 AM
You'll want to look like someone who the seasoned Giants tailgaters will embrace, and invite over for food, drink, and comraderee. First, you should get a big cheese head hat - because evryone loves cheese! Next - does your girlfriend look good in a cheerleader outfit?

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Haha, I'm not sure I could pull off the cheese hat! And as you say everyone loves cheese so the last thing I want is to do cheese an injustice!! And she looks fantastic in a cheerleaders outfit..... but November will be far to cold to put her through that!!

Any other ideas?

Flip Empty
08-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Wear a Romo jersey

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 06:55 AM
I'll stick with my NYG 80 I think

Cool Papa B.
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
You'll want to look like someone who the seasoned Giants tailgaters will embrace, and invite over for food, drink, and comraderee. First, you should get a big cheese head hat - because evryone loves cheese! Next - does your girlfriend look good in a cheerleader outfit?

LOL LOL LOL......

I can't stop laughing! LOL....

fansince69
08-28-2012, 09:12 AM
It is one thing to make fun of someone that really is just being annoying or even someone who is actually deserving.....but this person is from a foreign country and he came here asking an honest question ....hoping his fellow fans might help him out and this is how you guys treat him?

he obviously is trying to understand our culture and you guys abuse him....ok maybe abuse isn't right word because it is obvious to most of us that you are not being serious.....but I am quite sure someone on this board could actually answer his question.....If I knew the answer I would do it myself.....but unfortunately I can't

One of you guys should step up and help him

keyofgmen
08-28-2012, 09:38 AM
OK...
1st why are you not using your parking pass? By definition, you need to park in the lot in order to tailgate.

Most important is GET THERE EARLY!! At least 3 hrs before kickoff. You need time to set up..time to wander a bit, since it your 1st time. Like go to Legacy Club ( a must). Wander around and visit folks..just stay away from obvious drunks...

Of course plenty of food and drink, or just enough so you can be mobile.

Don't wait too long to go in. Beat the crowd in and enjoy some warm-ups. I usually go in about an hr before kickoff to take in the "feel" for the day. You can often tell how the crowd is going to be that day by checking the atmosphere pregame.

If you can, hand out an hr or so after game for post game tailgate...let the crowd disperse, enjoy some good food and bask in the glory of victory!!

Have a great time!

PS..If you don't have hotel yet, consider staying near stadium in Jersey. Much cheaper and easier to get to and from stadium, yet still easy to get in and out of The City if you have chance.

Giantsin04
08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Hope this helps.

Load up your car (ideally an SUV) with two coolers, one with beer and booze and the other with all the food you can eat in a three hour time frame, a grill, chairs, table, football, plates, plasticware, cups, etc... Basically you are going to be setting up shop behind your car and spending 2-5 hours eating, drinking, and ****ing around.

Pull into the lots 3-4 hours before the game (get a parking pass on ebay or craigslist. you NEED this to get into the tailgating lots). Find a parking space and set up your area. Turn on the radio to 660 am or crank your favorite tunes. Fire up the grill and start pounding beers!

Now, this is a standard tailgate that most people do. There are others that take things to a whole different level. We're talking about a motor home with canopy and side tents, huge grills, full bar, giant speakers cranked and a couple of dozen people partying.

since you are traveling from far away, I assume there is a chance you don't have a car. If this is the case, still show up several hours before the game. Find one of the big tailgate partys. Look for one with at least 20 people, this will help you blend in better. Strike up a conversation with someone there, and casually ask who is in charge or running the tailgate. approach that guy and introduce yourself. Now say, "hey man, if I slip you a couple of bucks, can we hang with you guys and have a couple of beers." Give him about $20 a head. chances are he will have no problem with this and you will be drinking and stuffing your face within minutes.

The best place to find these bigger tailgates is at the end of rows where the lots are divided by big sidewalks.

Enjoy.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
You NEED the parking pass to actually tailgate. Its very easy. Bring a cooler with beers/drinks, introduce yourself to one of the thousands of cars in the lot that have party going on and join in the fun. Get there at least 3 hours before the game and get to it.

jimmie ray
08-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Haha, I'm not sure I could pull off the cheese hat! And as you say everyone loves cheese so the last thing I want is to do cheese an injustice!! And she looks fantastic in a cheerleaders outfit..... but November will be far to cold to put her through that!!

Any other ideas?

Glad you have a good sense of humor. Assuming you are not going with your own vehicle or goodies, and want meetup with a group - how about posting that desire at a site like this, or maybe meetup.com?

SweetZombieJesus
08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Tailgating is a ritual of hanging out at the stadium before a game that usually involves a barbecue and drinking and people tossing the ball around... Named as such because it used to be done out of the back of a pick up truck with the "tail gate" down. People make mobile stations out of the back of their cars & trucks. It basically turns the game into a full day event.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/14/bc/e5382b91f1ddf636686369ff5fe0.jpg

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
QUOTE=fansince69;461073]It is one thing to make fun of someone that really is just being annoying or even someone who is actually deserving.....but this person is from a foreign country and he came here asking an honest question ....hoping his fellow fans might help him out and this is how you guys treat him?

he obviously is trying to understand our culture and you guys abuse him....ok maybe abuse isn't right word because it is obvious to most of us that you are not being serious.....but I am quite sure someone on this board could actually answer his question.....If I knew the answer I would do it myself.....but unfortunately I can't

One of you guys should step up and help him[/QUOTE]

Ha thanks dude! But I'm English not French.... I can take a bit of smack talk from the red necks haha!

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Glad you have a good sense of humor. Assuming you are not going with your own vehicle or goodies, and want meetup with a group - how about posting that desire at a site like this, or maybe meetup.com?

I guess I'm working out whether this is something people do? Or will I just look like a tool! (onslaught on that one is optional and NOT compulsory)

lamas
08-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Besides the booze and food, you can't forget the games. This is an essential part of tailgating. Cornhole, ladder golf, beer pong, or just having a catch with the football.

If it's just you and your girl, you'll have no problem finding a friendly group to hang with. In fact, you'd probably do well just boucing around from group to group. If you're wearing blue, you'll be family and with an accent, you'll be very popular.

If you really want to do it big, you can probably find a paid tailgate party ahead of time. These are usually a flat fee and you can eat and drink all you want. Some will even go so far as to have filet mignon and lobster and 55" flat screens to watch the early games. I'm not sure of the details on these, but I've seen em.

Have fun.

ShakeandBake
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I guess I'm working out whether this is something people do? Or will I just look like a tool! (onslaught on that one is optional and NOT compulsory)

There will be plenty of people there believe me, haha. Tailgating is just a pre-party before the game, if you want to get beers and food in your belly before kickoff, I would suggest tailgating, otherwise you will have to pay the ridiculous prices for food/drink at the stadium($8-10 for a beer now?). Like others have said just bring some beer and food and try to tag along with someone.

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Besides the booze and food, you can't forget the games. This is an essential part of tailgating. Cornhole, ladder golf, beer pong, or just having a catch with the football.

If it's just you and your girl, you'll have no problem finding a friendly group to hang with. In fact, you'd probably do well just boucing around from group to group. If you're wearing blue, you'll be family and with an accent, you'll be very popular.

If you really want to do it big, you can probably find a paid tailgate party ahead of time. These are usually a flat fee and you can eat and drink all you want. Some will even go so far as to have filet mignon and lobster and 55" flat screens to watch the early games. I'm not sure of the details on these, but I've seen em.

Have fun.

Got Jerseys already so not drama on the blue! The pre paid idea sounds right what I need any idea where I find them?!!?

Also, any of you guys going to the game?!

BergenCountyJC
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
NYGNash - did a quick search for you - not too sure on their reliability but seems to have all the amenities for a reasonable price of $30 which in all honesty is what you'd pay for a couple dogs and drinks for you and the lady friend. Give em a call or email. GL

A little 'fun' history of tailgating - non-official since everyone thinks they came up with the idea

http://www.cracked.com/funny-1223-tailgate-parties/

http://www.gametimecatering.com/tailgate.php

(http://www.gametimecatering.com/tailgate.php)

NYGNash
08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
NYGNash - did a quick search for you - not too sure on their reliability but seems to have all the amenities for a reasonable price of $30 which in all honesty is what you'd pay for a couple dogs and drinks for you and the lady friend. Give em a call or email. GL

A little 'fun' history of tailgating - non-official since everyone thinks they came up with the idea

http://www.cracked.com/funny-1223-tailgate-parties/

http://www.gametimecatering.com/tailgate.php

(http://www.gametimecatering.com/tailgate.php)

Looks perfect! I'll get on to them now thanks for your help!!

nygfan90
08-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Have fun.Quick question. When my gf and her family go to games we tailgate in the garage. We never even thought about bringing a table for beer pong. Can you set up a table inside the garage as long as it's out of the way?

lamas
08-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Quick question. When my gf and her family go to games we tailgate in the garage. We never even thought about bringing a table for beer pong. Can you set up a table inside the garage as long as it's out of the way?

I never tailgated in the garage, only in the lot where you're allowed to use the space behind your car (or adjacent space if no one parks there) for tables, grills, etc.

JB456
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Quick question. When my gf and her family go to games we tailgate in the garage. We never even thought about bringing a table for beer pong. Can you set up a table inside the garage as long as it's out of the way?

What is the logic for tailgaiting in the garage? I was forced to do this once and the experience was greatly diminished (More cars driving by, less ventilation, less tailgaiters, less light). You guys should try to tailgate out in the lot, its a much better experience in my opinion.

GMan-67
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM
it's like going on a caravanning holiday in the parking lot of your favorite footy side

so rent an SUV buy a little grille, burgers and hot dogs ... put it all in the boot of the SUV (hide the meat pies, but def. get like Newcastle Brown Ale for refreshment)

once you get a few in ya, then do your best Cruuuuuzzzz chant and if your tailgating neighbors haven't said hi yet, they will

cheers

jomo
08-28-2012, 04:15 PM
What is the logic for tailgaiting in the garage? I was forced to do this once and the experience was greatly diminished (More cars driving by, less ventilation, less tailgaiters, less light). You guys should try to tailgate out in the lot, its a much better experience in my opinion.I love the smell of car exhaust in the morning!

JB456
08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I love the smell of car exhaust in the morning!

I've come up with two explanations for their preference to tailgate in a garage:

1) Grew up and live in close proximity to smoke stacks and therefore the smell of exhaust is comforting.

2) They are on a budget and they don't need to drink as many beers to get wasted since the exhaust fumes will get them high as well.

nygfan90
08-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I've come up with two explanations for their preference to tailgate in a garage:

1) Grew up and live in close proximity to smoke stacks and therefore the smell of exhaust is comforting.

2) They are on a budget and they don't need to drink as many beers to get wasted since the exhaust fumes will get them high as well.LMAO...i honestly have no idea why we always park in the garage, maybe the prices are cheaper? idk, i dont buy the parking passes. The one time we did tailgate outside, it rained. Maybe that's why. lol

NYGNash
08-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Morning!

So I recieved an email back from Danny @ gametimecatering.com today and it looks perfect! Tickets are $30 adult $15 for children and basically can feed your face before the kick off!

Booze not included so bring your own!!

Thanks all for your help!

Lewis