PDA

View Full Version : D.Scott is way better than DJ Ware!

DaDiesel
08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Looking at the last 2 preseasons, Scott is a much better option than Ware or Brown. He has gamebreaking speed and is always a threat to take it to the house. He had one shot in the regular season. He got a first down on one run and fumbled on the other. I just see much more upside in his game than either Brown or Ware.....If he doesn't make the cut, it would be a shame. He will be picked up quickly.....

nhpgiantsfan
08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Looking at the last 2 preseasons, Scott is a much better option than Ware or Brown. He has gamebreaking speed and is always a threat to take it to the house. He had one shot in the regular season. He got a first down on one run and fumbled on the other. I just see much more upside in his game than either Brown or Ware.....If he doesn't make the cut, it would be a shame. He will be picked up quickly.....

The problem is, you can't go into the season with Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott, and Brown. You need some experience behind Bradshaw. Ware provides that. He isn't great, his legs will not win us games, but we need I'm on the team as insurance. It's pretty evident Scott and Brown are fighting for one spot. You will probably see alot of both of them in the final pre season game.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Being better and having more upside are 2 different things ... I agree on the latter, not the former.
I think he'll stick.

Yes he's fast. Can he pick up a blitz ? Or recognize a blitz and run a hot read to offer his QB a checkdown option ? Not sure about that.

DaDiesel
08-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Scott also offers a different running style. He hits the hole and gets vertical. He would be my first option on third and short yardage.

ozzie0075
08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Being better and having more upside are 2 different things ... I agree on the latter, not the former.
I think he'll stick.

Yes he's fast. Can he pick up a blitz ? Or recognize a blitz and run a hot read to offer his QB a checkdown option ? Not sure about that.

I completely agree. The other issue is we only see what happens with guys on game day no one on these boards knows what goes on in practice. Its impossible to say that Scott is way better than ware based solely on what he did the last 2 preseasons against 3rd and 4th string guys that aren't NFL players. I would rather go into the season with a guy that has experience playing in big NFL games and more importantly a guy the coaching staff trusts to protect Eli.

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I completely agree. The other issue is we only see what happens with guys on game day no one on these boards knows what goes on in practice. Its impossible to say that Scott is way better than ware based solely on what he did the last 2 preseasons against 3rd and 4th string guys that aren't NFL players. I would rather go into the season with a guy that has experience playing in big NFL games and more importantly a guy the coaching staff trusts to protect Eli.

Well let me agree with you too and add that beyond practice, there's the playbook.
I'm pretty certain Ware knows all the 500 plays he's supposed to know. Can the same be said about Scott or Wilson ? I'm pretty sure that it's "no".

I want Ware on the field on 3rd & 12 picking up that blitzing safety. Not Scott wondering if you pick up blitzers fom inside out or the other way around ...

GameTime
08-28-2012, 10:10 AM
you have nothing really to base that opinion on. havent seen him enough in REAL games to make that assumption.
He is faster....thats all I can really say with confidence...

Dwinsballgames
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
I like Scott too, but TC gave him a couple of opportunities last season and he put the ball on the carpet. One way ticket to TC's doghouse.

yoeddy
08-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Scott also offers a different running style. He hits the hole and gets vertical. He would be my first option on third and short yardage.

Of the 5 HBs on the roster right now, Scott is the last one I'd go to on 3rd and short. Lack of power, ball security issues...not a great option in that situation. Right now, I'd have to say Wilson would be my top preference on 3rd and short...followed by Bradshaw, and then Ware...

shotgundraw
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
In short yardage, the issue is the OL, we'd be better off just passing the freaking ball ... :biggrin:

GameTime
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
In short yardage, the issue is the OL, we'd be better off just passing the freaking ball ... :biggrin:

Hank Hynoski maybe on short yardage stuff.....why not. They dont have a solid answer as of now anyway....

Atomic1
08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Scott Looks GREAT on Special Teams compared to Ware and Brown and Ware/Brown have missed picking up the rushing Defender more than once. I say give Scott a chance. He looks stronger than Ware and Brown, Faster than them both and seems to play with more Heart and desire and like I said when it comes to special teams Scott can cover punts/kicks, Block punts and RETURN them both when asked.

wuzpapn
08-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Bradshaw - Wilson - Scott

Ware and Brown can take their mediocre asses back home. I'd keep Ware as back-up.

fivebass23
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
I am not a huge ware fan but he has been running the ball very well being elusive and also running hard and straight when needed. I have been waiting on Scott to be that impact game changer (seems it is not going to happen). Wilson is very impressive and the way this Oline has been run blocking the past year I would rather see guys like Wilson,bradshaw,scott running the ball because the holes close so quickly and they have the ability to take a loss into a TD.

ozzie0075
08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Scott Looks GREAT on Special Teams compared to Ware and Brown and Ware/Brown have missed picking up the rushing Defender more than once. I say give Scott a chance. He looks stronger than Ware and Brown, Faster than them both and seems to play with more Heart and desire and like I said when it comes to special teams Scott can cover punts/kicks, Block punts and RETURN them both when asked.

He had big problems in the return game last season with fumbles. After that he was pretty much inactive the rest of the season. I still think Scott makes the teams over Brown as the 4th RB but he won't see much action on offense. He will play on special teams provided that he is active each week.

gumby74
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
The ONLY reason why I want ware back there as a #2 is pass protection. Protecting Eli is priority #1.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM

On what do you base this opinion? What about the two most important things we require of our running backs. #1 pick up the blitz and. # 2 correctly read the defense (pick up the blitz). Ware, according to Eli, is the best route runner out of the backfield. The coaches also have confidence he will be where he's supposed to be all of the time.

Dwinsballgames
08-28-2012, 01:16 PM

"looking at the last 2 preseasons"
see, this is where your argument breaks down, in the first 5 words of your post. Why?, because preseason means NOTHING.. What has Scott shown in the regular season that supports your claim? NOTHING. BTW as stated earlier I like Scott alot, but it's too early to say who's better. Ware has a proven track record of understanding the offense and knowing the protections. Scott, not so much.

miked1958
08-28-2012, 01:21 PM
The problem is, you can't go into the season with Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott, and Brown. You need some experience behind Bradshaw. Ware provides that. He isn't great, his legs will not win us games, but we need I'm on the team as insurance. It's pretty evident Scott and Brown are fighting for one spot. You will probably see alot of both of them in the final pre season game.Simple solution. Cut Brown and retain Scott and Ware

Cool Papa B.
08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Scott is fast and strong, but his issue is picking up the blitz packages and blocking. Also he fumbles the ball a lot in practice according to the coaches. Those are two big no-no's in the Giants.

I hope Scott turns the corner this year because I think he is very talented and we're gonna need a 3rd RB.

yoeddy
08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Scott doesn't bring anything to the team that Wilson and Bradshaw don't already have. Ware and Brown have more size and power, so they provide a change-up and more options...

joemorrisforprez
08-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Scott could become a good special teamer and a decent backup for Wilson and Bradshaw.

The only problem with Ware is that he's not awesome. But he's a steady back.....he can run, block, and catch, and has a good grasp of the offense. A running back who

a) Stays healthy
b) Doesn't make mistakes
c) Isn't a liability in terms of run/block/pass.

That's nice combo for a coach.

craigjr007
08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
if i have to watch ware run in slow motion one more time.....at this point id take scott over ware

Dwinsballgames
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
if i have to watch ware run in slow motion one more time.....at this point id take scott over ware

based on what?

Atomic1
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Scott doesn't bring anything to the team that Wilson and Bradshaw don't already have. Ware and Brown have more size and power, so they provide a change-up and more options...

no way Ware and Brown have more power than Scott. they might be an inch taller and weigh 10 lbs. more than Scott but Scott runs like a bowling ball going fwrd. where Ware and Brown tip toe and go down like a feather. IMO Scott has to learn when to go down which is something Bradshaw has finally learned. Those of us old enough to remember Rodney Hampton and the way he finished runs , always going low and spinning/lunging for positive yardage without exposing the ball or his body to a hit.

jomo
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Scott is better at his best but Ware is a known quantity in all aspects of the game. It will be interesting to see which direction we go with this. If it were my choice it would be Scott.

GameTime
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
no way Ware and Brown have more power than Scott. they might be an inch taller and weigh 10 lbs. more than Scott but Scott runs like a bowling ball going fwrd. where Ware and Brown tip toe and go down like a feather. IMO Scott has to learn when to go down which is something Bradshaw has finally learned. Those of us old enough to remember Rodney Hampton and the way he finished runs , always going low and spinning/lunging for positive yardage without exposing the ball or his body to a hit.
agreed....if you look at Scotts lower body too he carries most of his weight low. Big legs. Ultimately I think he has more power than either ware or Brown.
Brown will be gone......IMO

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Scott is better at his best but Ware is a known quantity in all aspects of the game. It will be interesting to see which direction we go with this. If it were my choice it would be Scott.

I wonder what the strategy is for tomorrow night in terms of how many snaps who takes????

jomo
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I wonder what the strategy is for tomorrow night in terms of how many snaps who takes????I think you give more snaps to the guy you know less about in game situations. That means Scott I would think? We are not going to learn anything new about Ware. We've been to Super Bowl with him and he's contributed. His skills are ordinary with limited upside. Scott, we really don't know.

RoanokeFan
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I think you give more snaps to the guy you know less about in game situations. That means Scott I would think? We are not going to learn anything new about Ware. We've been to Super Bowl with him and he's contributed. His skills are ordinary with limited upside. Scott, we really don't know.

I was queasy when Scott bobbled that return in the end zone. He caught it but if he had been in the field of play it could have been ugly.

ShakeandBake
08-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Its funny how Ware is considered a power back, its not because he runs people over(routinely goes down from ankle tackles) but because he is slowwwww. The only advantage Ware has over the other backs is the knowledge of the playbook/ability to pass block which go hand in hand. Scott without question has more speed than DJ Ware, and imo Scott is quicker as well. Scott can also contribute on special teams and has more upside than Ware.

Cool Papa B.
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Its funny how Ware is considered a power back, its not because he runs people over(routinely goes down from ankle tackles) but because he is slowwwww. The only advantage Ware has over the other backs is the knowledge of the playbook/ability to pass block which go hand in hand. Scott without question has more speed than DJ Ware, and imo Scott is quicker as well. Scott can also contribute on special teams and has more upside than Ware.

+1...
You hit the nail on the head.

yoeddy
08-28-2012, 04:40 PM

How does "more power than Scott" translate into "a power back"? Scott is quicker and faster for sure, but he does not have more power than Ware. But despite your opinion that Ware "routinely goes down from ankle tackles", he has shown the ability to drag defenders (most recently in the Jags preseason game) as well as breaking tackles as a kick returner. He is not a "power back" a la Jacobs or Jerome Bettis, but is of prototypical size with a game like Derrick Ward. Btw - Ware is a better kick returner than Scott, despite Scott's speed advantage...and Ware is a better blocker on kick returns than Scott is too...

joemorrisforprez
08-28-2012, 05:25 PM

I don't know if Wilson changes that calculation. Given that Wilson is a rookie, and Bradshaw is often injured, Coughlin may value Ware's dependability over Scott, who to date is still pretty untested.

Still, I understand your logic.

MattMeyerBud
08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

can he pass block and hold onto the football?

yet to be seen

DaDiesel
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
D.Scott 14 rushes for 213 yards with 2 tds. A long run of 97 yards and a 65 yard fake punt td.....
Pretty good! Let's see how he does vs the Patsies....

Giantsfan241
08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
lol, youre funny, lol wow.

tuck&rolle
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I think he'll stick.

This is why Ware is ahead of Scott on the depth chart. If speed was the only thing that mattered, teams would just sign sprinters.

Got to admit, though... it would be cool to see him move up the depth chart

Giantsfan241
08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
this is a RIDICULOUS statement.

Rat_bastich
08-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Until Scott usurps Ware then Ware is the better back...as much as that pains me to say. He is the more battle tested of the backs after Bradshaw. I do hope that Scott makes the squad and is able to contribute, even if its a role like Meggett used to fill.

DaDiesel
08-29-2012, 12:13 AM

Since when is Ware, the next Eric ****erson?

Giantsfan241
08-29-2012, 12:34 AM
and what is scott, barry sanders? please

BillTheGreek
08-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Scott before Ware..........................Hope he can hold on the pig skin !

BlueSanta
08-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Scott is fast and strong, but his issue is picking up the blitz packages and blocking. Also he fumbles the ball a lot in practice according to the coaches. Those are two big no-no's in the Giants.

I hope Scott turns the corner this year because I think he is very talented and we're gonna need a 3rd RB.

He fumbled a lot in games too. last year he had 5 carries and put the ball on the ground 2x(1 was incorrectly ruled down.)

DaDiesel
08-31-2012, 10:48 PM
I guess Scott was better than Ware! The first serving of crow goes to Roanoke Fan=I guess my opinion was shared by Mr Reese....Yoeddy, did I hear something over there? Giants fan241= your funny , lol, wow...... I guess it wasn't such a ridiculous statement?

appodictic
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
This thread helped the giants make the decision. Thank you origninal poster for giving the giants direction. jk. I think ware was decent but got injured quite easily. DScotts speed alone make him more dynamic then ware. If he can manage to utilize it is another question.

JJC7301
08-31-2012, 11:13 PM
I can't say that Scott is much better than Ware, but I do believe that he has a higher ceiling than Ware. I think what Ware has shown what he has, and honestly, he's no better than a 3rd back at best. I think he's better than Brown, but he makes more than Brown.

miked1958
08-31-2012, 11:37 PM
The problem is, you can't go into the season with Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott, and Brown. You need some experience behind Bradshaw. Ware provides that. He isn't great, his legs will not win us games, but we need I'm on the team as insurance. It's pretty evident Scott and Brown are fighting for one spot. You will probably see alot of both of them in the final pre season game.They were bold in getting rid of ware. Should of done same with Hixon.

embeshAtYa
09-01-2012, 12:29 AM
easily. before playbook

DaDiesel
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Giantsfan241, your statement is RIDICULOUS.....