PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated and overrated Giant:

TheAnalyst
08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Who do you guys feel is the most underrated Giants player and overrated Giants player?

Underrated, Id say Corey Webster. He still has never made the probowl, yet for the past 4 or 5 years has been a top CB in the league in my opinion. QBs normally pick on our other CB like Ross or T2 or Prince. Its a shame he doesnt get the recognition he deserves, but the Giants FO knows exactly what they have in #23. A very reliable, durable, top flight CB.

Overrated, tough to do as a fan, but Id stickl with the CB position and say Terrell Thomas. Tough to do now with the injuries he has had the past few years, but even in his "breakout" year I felt like he was way overrated. He got twice as many plays his way because of CWeb being on the other side, which led to his high tackle count and most INTs on the team. I remember a few of those INTs were actually deflected by someone else and landed in his lap. I always felt like he had no deep ball skills. He got abused a bunch by WRs being more physical then him and going over the top.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree with Webster being underrated. If we're talking about league-wide view, Eli is also underrated.

Overrated, even after last week's performance, I'm still going with Ramses Barden... Da'Rel Scott too, he has great speed, but he was inactive the entire season for a reason...

VBGiantsFan
08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Who do you guys feel is the most underrated Giants player and overrated Giants player?

Underrated, Id say Corey Webster. He still has never made the probowl, yet for the past 4 or 5 years has been a top CB in the league in my opinion. QBs normally pick on our other CB like Ross or T2 or Prince. Its a shame he doesnt get the recognition he deserves, but the Giants FO knows exactly what they have in #23. A very reliable, durable, top flight CB.

Overrated, tough to do as a fan, but Id stickl with the CB position and say Terrell Thomas. Tough to do now with the injuries he has had the past few years, but even in his "breakout" year I felt like he was way overrated. He got twice as many plays his way because of CWeb being on the other side, which led to his high tackle count and most INTs on the team. I remember a few of those INTs were actually deflected by someone else and landed in his lap. I always felt like he had no deep ball skills. He got abused a bunch by WRs being more physical then him and going over the top.

I couldn't agree more with your picks. They were spot on, the exact guys I was going to say. They are by far the two most obvious players. TT is no better than Ross IMO.

VBGiantsFan
08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Actually, I think Rolle is extremely overrated and overpaid. He's not a hard hitter and has average cover skills.

titwio
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Underrated I'd say Antrel Rolle because he takes a lot of flack and he's probably the most versatile player they have. He rarely plays the conventional safety position and does whatever the coaches ask of him. Not to mention he's durable...I don't think he's missed a start since he's been here. I really think fans take him for granted.

Overrated I'd say probably Chris Snee...mostly due to his play last year. I know he was battling injuries and had corrective surgery in the off season but I still read through forums with him as a top 5 guard. I still believe he can be this year but he definitely wasn't one last season.

FIFTY6G-MAN
08-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Underrated- C. WEB

Overrated- Ramses (the condom) Barden

miked1958
08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree with Webster being underrated. If we're talking about league-wide view, Eli is also underrated.Overrated, even after last week's performance, I'm still going with Ramses Barden... Da'Rel Scott too, he has great speed, but he was inactive the entire season for a reason...Well tech can't really call either of them overrated. I know they were drafted with with the idea they would prosper in our program. However Barden was hardly a highly sought after college player. We drafted him as a project. A risk. Well he was a project that didn't pan out. He can hardly fit into a category like say a Crabtree type that came out expected to be great. He can be called over rated. Barden and Scott although they haven't done squat for can't be called overrated I don't think

nhpgiantsfan
08-28-2012, 01:05 PM
It's weird with CWeb. I think he doesn't get noticed by the league, but I kind of feel he is a little over rated by fans on this MB. He is a very effective CB, but not a standout, in my opinion. I also think CB is a position in the NFL that only those who are absolute studs get mentioned by the media.

Toadofsteel
08-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Well tech can't really call either of them overrated. I know they were drafted with with the idea they would prosper in our program. However Barden was hardly a highly sought after college player. We drafted him as a project. A risk. Well he was a project that didn't pan out. He can hardly fit into a category like say a Crabtree type that came out expected to be great. He can be called over rated. Barden and Scott although they haven't done squat for can't be called overrated I don't think

Yet after one preseason game they're all the rage around here. There was an 8-page thread about some guy "calling me out" because I've been calling Barden "terrible". I'd be more than happy to retract that sentiment... IF Barden can do what he did last week throughout the regular season.

gumby74
08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Under-rated = Webster.
Over-rated = I want to say Rolle, but has he played his natural position since he's gotten here? If not rolle, I will say ....no one else because I don't think anyone on the Giants is hyped up enough to warrant being over-rated.

nhpgiantsfan
08-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I know I am going to get absolutely crushed for this, and I will say first that I love him, but I think Tuck may be a little over rated in the national eye.

VBGiantsFan
08-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I know I am going to get absolutely crushed for this, and I will say first that I love him, but I think Tuck may be a little over rated in the national eye.

If Tuck plays this year like he did last year he is definitely overrated and the Giants should keep Osi instead of him. That being said, I give him a pass because he was so injuried and really pulled through for us during the playoff run.

TheEnigma
08-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Underrated - Kenny Phillips edges out Webster imo. He was a top 5 safety last year and got snubbed by Adrian Wilson.

Overrated - Probably Snee just based off of his play from last year. The national media doesn't really overrate Giants players these days.

gumby74
08-28-2012, 01:22 PM

I know the thought crossed my mind also.

qndarius3
08-28-2012, 01:30 PM
I know the thought crossed my mind also.

Overrated: Diehl- i have loved the guy over the years for being tough and playing multiple positions, but he has just taken huge steps backward in the last couple of years.

Underrated:Kiwi- dude plays in multiple positions, getting switched all over the place. Does it without a complaint, and does it well.

Marvelousmik
08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Michael Boley without a doubt is the most underrated player on this team. There is no doubt about it. He missed like 3 games last year and still had 93 tackles. hes always all over the field and covers pretty well.

Overrated is definitely Terrel thomas. Ive thought this for the longest but didnt feel like getting bashed. im surprised so many on here are actually agreeing. I came into this thread expecting the OP to get flamed.

There seems to always be someone who is highly overrated by us each year. Kevin boss, bruce johnson, etc...

Diamondring
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Osi Overrated and Eli is underrated.

Sanntee31
08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Underrated - Chris Canty
Overrated - T2

yoeddy
08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Underrated: DJ Ware (flame away!)...maybe Michael Boley...
Overrated: Gilbride

nhpgiantsfan
08-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Osi Overrated and Eli is underrated.

If anything I think Osi is under rated on these boards. 2010 he had like what 11 forced fumbles. That's unreal. Last year when healthy he had a sack in every game he played with a few big strip, and he has been a message board whipping boy.

RagTime Blue
08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Underrated - Kenny Phillips edges out Webster imo. He was a top 5 safety last year and got snubbed by Adrian Wilson.

Overrated - Probably Snee just based off of his play from last year. The national media doesn't really overrate Giants players these days.

Agree with something like this.

TheAnalyst
08-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Underrated- C. WEB

Overrated- Ramses (the condom) Barden

The condom? Why? Cause he cant catch anything? :-)

fansince69
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
The condom? Why? Cause he cant catch anything? :-)

he has rubber hands....the ball bounces off....lol

miked1958
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Yet after one preseason game they're all the rage around here. There was an 8-page thread about some guy "calling me out" because I've been calling Barden "terrible". I'd be more than happy to retract that sentiment... IF Barden can do what he did last week throughout the regular season.I agree with you. Neither of them can even be called avg players let alone good players. Overrated? NO WAY. Lol

miked1958
08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh and like you I would love to be proved wrong and have these guys turn into huge stars for us

BROADWAYSTORM
08-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Underrated:

Joseph, Webster, Phillips, Weatherford

Overrated:

Tuck (lately), Rolle, Herzlich,

Underappreciated:

Kiwanuka, Diehl, Snee,

TheAnalyst
08-28-2012, 02:19 PM
I dont think Snee is overrated. He has been quite the guard in his career until last year when he got hurt.

GMENAGAIN
08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I would add Blackburn to the overrated list.

TheAnalyst
08-28-2012, 02:27 PM

?????

He is by far not overrated... How is he overrated? Because he is our starting MLB? Thats just ridiculous. If anything he is underrated. He went from selling cars or something like that, to being our starting MLB in a week and picking off Aaron Rodgers in the first game back and Tom Brady in the SB.

TheEnigma
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
He's overrated on these boards but not in the media. People only remember his few good plays and never the thousands of times he's been exposed in coverage. Gotta love him for helping us out on the run though.

GMENAGAIN
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
?????

He is by far not overrated... How is he overrated? Because he is our starting MLB? Thats just ridiculous. If anything he is underrated. He went from selling cars or something like that, to being our starting MLB in a week and picking off Aaron Rodgers in the first game back and Tom Brady in the SB.

He is overrated by people like you who like the story of him getting up off the couch and coming back to contribute to a Super Bowl run and, based upon that, now think that he is an excellent player. He is not.

Dwinsballgames
08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Actually, I think Rolle is extremely overrated and overpaid. He's not a hard hitter and has average cover skills.

yeah, overrated (red) that's why he lead the team in tackles last year.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 02:32 PM
He is overrated by people like you who like the story of him getting up off the couch and coming back to contribute to a Super Bowl run and, based upon that, now think that he is an excellent player. He is not.

If he was a great player....he wouldn't have been sitting on the couch in the first place

ozzie0075
08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Underrated:

Kevin Booth-can play multiple positions on the line was absolutely key to the superbowl run. Many people killed Reese when he said before last season bringing back Booth was one of his main priorities.

Overrated:

I have to go with Rolle here I think he is a very good player that played out of position a lot just over paid for what he does. My opinion can certainly change if he plays great this year.

ShakeandBake
08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Underrated:

Joseph, Webster, Phillips, Weatherford

Overrated:

Tuck (lately), Rolle, Herzlich,

Underappreciated:

Kiwanuka, Diehl, Snee,

Rolle overrated? You would never thinks so judging by the amount of times people **** on him on these boards.......

EJ Blue
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Overrated:

Rolle, hands down. I can't think of anyone else that gets so much credit for being average other than him.

ny06
08-28-2012, 02:45 PM

My opinion he's not overrated at all, but I understand why you feel he is. Let's face it, Chase is not going to wow anyone with his play on the field, but he does get the job done. We can sit here and point out all his weaknesses in his game, but the one thing no one can question is his heart and love for the game. My opinion of Chase Blackburn is this, can play all 3 linebacker postions, his knowledge of the game helps him with the lack of speed & athleticism he has. He is and always has been a solid special teams player for us.

B-Red22
08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
I agree with Webster being underrated. If we're talking about league-wide view, Eli is also underrated.

Overrated, even after last week's performance, I'm still going with Ramses Barden... Da'Rel Scott too, he has great speed, but he was inactive the entire season for a reason...

Da'Rel Scott was def active last year, not a whole lot of playing time but he was active come game day.

GMENAGAIN
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
My opinion he's not overrated at all, but I understand why you feel he is. Let's face it, Chase is not going to wow anyone with his play on the field, but he does get the job done. We can sit here and point out all his weaknesses in his game, but the one thing no one can question is his heart and love for the game. My opinion of Chase Blackburn is this, can play all 3 linebacker postions, his knowledge of the game helps him with the lack of speed & athleticism he has. He is and always has been a solid special teams player for us.
I don't dislike Blackburn -- I love his heart and effort -- I just think that he is a limited player who I would rather see in a back-up role. I only say that he is overrated on this MB because many on this MB seem to feel that his contribution late last year put him in the solid starter category.

GMan-67
08-28-2012, 03:06 PM

i agree with you about Webster nationally ... now for overrated, i hate to do this, but hello 'Trel ... i'm glad we have you, but nationally they think you are better than in reality

locally, i'm going with Boley as underrated since everyone locally knows what Webster means to the team ... last season it was Ross

then for overrated locally, i have to call out Mr. Canty ... now to his credit he picked the exact right time to play his best ball especially considering he got hurt and played thru it, but here we are again with him not being available, of course, i trade him going to PUP rather than him thinking of his future 1st and deciding to deal with his injury right when it happened

and not to bust on you, but are Barden and Scott even rated at all?? i realize you are thinking about the upcoming cuts, but to me to be overrated means you have to be a starter

TheAnalyst
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM

I am in no way overrating him. He is an average MLB. But for what he contributed to this team, he has done a bunch. We are so bad at MLB that he IS our MLB by default. But how can you not say his plays last year didnt help us win a superbowl? He is better then Jones, Herzlich, or who ever else we have at MLB, thats for sure.

GMENAGAIN
08-28-2012, 03:48 PM
I am in no way overrating him. He is an average MLB. But for what he contributed to this team, he has done a bunch. We are so bad at MLB that he IS our MLB by default. But how can you not say his plays last year didnt help us win a superbowl? He is better then Jones, Herzlich, or who ever else we have at MLB, thats for sure.

I didn't deny that he made some plays to help us win a Super Bowl.

And based upon what you have said here, it does not appear that you are one of the posters that is overrating him.

ShakeandBake
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Overrated:

Rolle, hands down. I can't think of anyone else that gets so much credit for being average other than him.

He led the team in tackles last year(both solo and assisted) playing out of position, how is that average?

ShakeandBake
08-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Underrated:

Kevin Booth-can play multiple positions on the line was absolutely key to the superbowl run. Many people killed Reese when he said before last season bringing back Booth was one of his main priorities.

Overrated:

I have to go with Rolle here I think he is a very good player that played out of position a lot just over paid for what he does. My opinion can certainly change if he plays great this year.

How does this make any sense? So he is overrated because the Giants moved him into the box last season, hence overpaying him? Jesus some of you people are unbelievable.....

BlueReign
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
How does this make any sense? So he is overrated because the Giants moved him into the box last season, hence overpaying him? Jesus some of you people are unbelievable.....
Not to mention he played most of the season with two torn rotator cuffs.

GmenFan1980
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Completely agree with you sir!

I should probably do my own as well

Overrated - (based off just our message boards) i would say C-web. I love the guy and think he is a great CB, but it just seems people want to make him out to be like a top 5 corner or something and just isn't in that category.

Underrated - JJ I guess, everyone seems to want him gone and just seem to thinks he is garbage. I have hope for him still and hope he becomes a great receiver for us.

JB456
08-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Overrated: Diehl- i have loved the guy over the years for being tough and playing multiple positions, but he has just taken huge steps backward in the last couple of years.

Underrated:Kiwi- dude plays in multiple positions, getting switched all over the place. Does it without a complaint, and does it well.

Diehl has a huge heart and is a great career with the Giants but he is in serious decline. I havn't met one Giant fan that overrates Diehl.

GMan-67
08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
how in the world is Chase Blackburn overrated?

we cut him, we tried every other option at MLB ... we got desparate, we signed him for minimum football wage off his couch and he outplayed all expectations for us

then as a reward, we go hey Chase thanks a lot ! ... we will now let you COMPETE for a job ... good luck

you gotta 1st decide who is eligible to be overrated ... highly paid starter is the minimum requirement, IMO

Marvelousmik
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM

only time will tell but i do remember him blanketing players across the middle of the field and having very good awareness.I have a good idea of everything everyone on our roster has done, even the little things. name me any player and i can give you even the smallest details, to their positives and negatives. When i think of chase i think of a very smart linebacker who is very aware in zone defense. Before he came our LB's got torn up in zone. hes not overrated. He may not be the best back out there but hes definitely an NFL starting caliber MLB.

When you think about a really good LB, you probably look for someone who has a lot of speed and can hit. When i think of a good LB, and a good safety i think awareness > Athletic ability any day. cc brown was one of our hardest hitting safetys but the guy was dumb as a rock out there in coverage. Chase is one of those players who keeps his eyes on the QB, but also knows where the TE, RB, or WR is at the same time. I cant stand when linebackers or corners sit in a zone with their eyes only on the QB. I do think Goff was better than chase against the run though.

G.I. Ants
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
It is hard to call Rolle overrated due to the fact that he was playing out of position. I do think that he didn't deserve his all-pro status his first year with big blue because he didn't play great team ball then. When he settled down and became a team oriented player, his game evolved greatly.

Chase is not overrated. He is a good athlete who knows the Giants playbook and system. He was able to rest his body but also stay in shape for most of the regular season by not playing football. That rest payed dividends, his desire & hunger payed dividends, most importantly his knowledge of this system payed dividends.

I always felt TT was overrated. In fact, I didn't want to let Ross go because I felt he finally showed up last year and he played great. TT got burned too much for my liking. He led the team in solo tackles because the opposing team had no problem throwing his direction. I like TT and hope he can prove me wrong but he was always overrated.

Ahmad Bradshaw is slightly overrated IMHO. He is a very good back, quick, runs angry with power and excellent at picking up the blitz. I just think that his health will always be an issue and this can hurt his game. He is also not a good receiver out of the backfield. I hold my breathe hoping he doesn't fumble every time I see him fighting for an extra yard. He is not a patient runner allowing his blockers to give him holes to run through. I know the O-Line played terrible last year, but it is an observation I have seen his entire pro career. BJ played well last year but I had the same opinion about him. Wilson being drafted in the 1st round, coincidence. The last Giant RB to be drafted in an early round was Tiki Barber.

DemandedAce
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Underrated is KP. Never gets respect in the media but he is downright dominant and you don't hear his name much because he shuts it down all game long. Cweb is a close second

Overrated I would say T2 just because his coverage could be lame some plays and he padded those failed coverages with nice tackle numbers. I still love T2 though I miss him playing he rocks to watch lay a hit on an outside run

DemandedAce
08-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Lay off Rolle. The dude hasn't played his natural position in ages and still leads the team when playing out of position. Not to mention the torn cuffs and being a vocal leader, he is in no way overrated. In fact, he's almost becoming underrated because of some of you shmucks lol

jax5338
08-28-2012, 04:49 PM
underrated: Boothe - guy was better center than Baas last year IMO

overrated: Canty - big contract, is good when healthy but misses too much time.

Axels17
08-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Underrated (By people on these boards) - Kenny Phillips
Overrated- DJ Ware. Some of you are way too high on him

(My overrated would have been Ross, if he was still on the team)

buster55
08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
overated - TT and Phillips both high draft picks and average at best and even though hes gone Aaron Ross as well however he did play his best ball this past playoff run and SB. OSi due to his play against the run. Very one dimensional and takes himself completely out of plays when rushing QB and no discipline against run and often hurt.

Underated- Webster has been very solid above average past 4-seasons.
Canty you will see will be missed this season above average past 2-seasons.
Tuck is a warrior who has played hurt past several seasons and never complains about it he just goes out there and plays hard against the run and can rush QB as well.
Weatherford not enough good things said about him. remember picking the ball off the ground in San Fran wet field and all. Not enough recognition for that play alone and biggest improvement on special teams past season. Do I have to remind you all of Dodge.

Giantsfan241
08-28-2012, 08:26 PM
unnderated - kp
over - canty

NWKEffectElement
08-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Under-KP, Boothe
Over-Tynes, Ware, Prince