PDA

View Full Version : No Canty,SO?

Tuckit91
08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
So we put Tuck,Osi and JPP on the line and maybe even Mathis all at the same time and use Rivers,Boley,Blackburn at LBs

KidA
08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
You can do that on 3rd and long, but you still need to have enough DT's on your team.

fansince69
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
So we put Tuck,Osi and JPP on the line and maybe even Mathis all at the same time and use Rivers,Boley,Blackburn at LBs

I am assuming by mathis you mean KIWI?

are you saying you want to run the nascar package all the time?

It's not really geared to stop the run

GameTime
08-28-2012, 11:10 PM
cant have that alignment even most of the time. Would never work.....

RagTime Blue
08-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Remember a couple years ago when we played Indy, and Fewell only dressed ONE DT?? They ran up and down the field on us until our safeties were tired. . .then Peyton went crazy completing passes at will.

BAD IDEA

Giantsfan241
08-29-2012, 12:04 AM
canty needs to get off his butt and stop eating oreos and get on the practice field its too late now he'll miss 6 weeks i think he'll be out of shape when he comes back and joseph proves to be the dominant member of the dt squad.

jomo
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM
So we put Tuck,Osi and JPP on the line and maybe even Mathis all at the same time and use Rivers,Boley,Blackburn at LBsI understand your point about plenty of talent but it comes up short in 2 areas. First, it depletes our rotation which is critical to maintaining the highest level of intensity of every play. Second, Canty is tying up a boat load of cap space and that means we don't have that money to deploy into people who can actually help us. So, we need him to get healthy and get cracking.

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 12:38 AM
if canty doesnt tear it up upon his return, his salary might become too much for the giants to keep on...especially since we are forced into playing younger, backup type guys who could easily break out and play at a high level...jay ratliff was a 7th round pick, kuhn could end up making the most of his chance...

jomo
08-29-2012, 12:47 AM
if canty doesnt tear it up upon his return, his salary might become too much for the giants to keep on...especially since we are forced into playing younger, backup type guys who could easily break out and play at a high level...jay ratliff was a 7th round pick, kuhn could end up making the most of his chance...This may be the last year of his contract. I think this is his 4th year here.

BlueSanta
08-29-2012, 02:24 AM
This may be the last year of his contract. I think this is his 4th year here.

nah he signed a 6 year deal in 2009. He isnt a free agent till 2015. He is due over 6 mil per year for the next 3 years and is the highest paid player on defense.

I do think that fact could put him in danger. If he isnt able to play there is no way he can earn that contract.

Kase-1
08-29-2012, 02:40 AM
canty needs to get off his butt and stop eating oreos and get on the practice field its too late now he'll miss 6 weeks i think he'll be out of shape when he comes back and joseph proves to be the dominant member of the dt squad.Yes, because this whole time he's been injured and trying to get back on the field he couldnt make it without his 'oreos'.

Canty is one of the best DTs in the league

Kase-1
08-29-2012, 02:41 AM
if canty doesnt tear it up upon his return, his salary might become too much for the giants to keep on...especially since we are forced into playing younger, backup type guys who could easily break out and play at a high level...jay ratliff was a 7th round pick, kuhn could end up making the most of his chance...Thats quite the positive outlook considering that Kuhn hasnt played against serious competition yet. Its great that he's showing some nice energy but dont expect Jay Ratliff 2.0 cause he was a late round pick

We're trying to fill the role of one of the best 4-3 DTs in the NFL here

Giantsfan241
08-29-2012, 02:50 AM
He is nowhere near one of the best.

FlyingTruck
08-29-2012, 03:15 AM
We're screwed.

shotgundraw
08-29-2012, 04:09 AM

Well we have a very good young DT called Joseph so I'd say we play him on every 1st, 2nd and 3rd & short.
Then we have Bernard, who did ok last season on limited duty, so we put him out there as a starter as well.

I don't know who are our #3 and #4, probablly Hendricks and Kuhn ? So they'll get a few snaps a game as well.

On passsing situations we can play 3DE on the line, namely Umenyiora at RDE, Pierre-Paul at LDE and Joseph/Bernard in the middle with Tuck.

Canty out doesn't mean we're out of DTs ....

canty needs to get off his butt and stop eating oreos and get on the practice field its too late now he'll miss 6 weeks i think he'll be out of shape when he comes back and joseph proves to be the dominant member of the dt squad.

He had surgery on a knee ... Hardly a case of eating to much.
I wonder what makes you think he'll be out of shape ? He's on PUP, he'll be at the facilities every day.

nah he signed a 6 year deal in 2009. He isnt a free agent till 2015. He is due over 6 mil per year for the next 3 years and is the highest paid player on defense.

I do think that fact could put him in danger if he isnt able to play there is no way he can earn that contract.

Rolle and Webster are paid more.

Seriously, the man is just out of his best season as a Giant, he was our best DT and one of our best players last season on defense and you want to cut him ?
Yes, he's 30 and he isn't cheap, but you can restructure a contract before you go cutting everyone.

Now if he goes back to not being the rock in the middle he was in 2011, that's another thing.

We're trying to fill the role of one of the best 4-3 DTs in the NFL here

I wouldn't go that far but he's definitely a guy we'd have a hard time replacing.

Giantsfan241
08-29-2012, 04:17 AM
hahah come on guys everyone likes oreos

G.I. Ants
08-29-2012, 04:21 AM
this is not a video game

tonyt830
08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Of course I want to see Canty on the field, but I want a healthy Canty. I think Joseph and Bernard can hold down the fort for now. Throw in Austin(when he is healthy), as well as Hendricks/Kuhn/Thomas, and we should be ok at DT.

I don't see Tuck lined up at DT full-time, just in the Nascar package.

shotgundraw
08-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Of course I want to see Canty on the field, but I want a healthy Canty. I think Joseph and Bernard can hold down the fort for now. Throw in Austin(when he is healthy), as well as Hendricks/Kuhn/Thomas, and we should be ok at DT.

That's too many guys right there, I think we only keep 4 and cut one when Canty comes back.

I'm so certain that Austin will go to IR that I forgot all about him but yeah, he's still the #3 right now.

Redeyejedi
08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

I do think that fact could put him in danger. If he isnt able to play there is no way he can earn that contract. Its hard to cut him when Marvin Austin cant get on the Field

GameTime
08-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Canty wanted to come back. He didnt decide to go on the PUP list and he wont be out of shape when he gets back....
Besides Joseph would be playing even if Canty was in. Joseph is the other starting DT...

Giantsfan241
08-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes I know but I think with Canty's absence he will shine more.

GameTime
08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes I know but I think with Canty's absence he will shine more.
The DTs work in tandem. If Bernard doesnt do his job or assignments then Joesph cant do his. Your logic only works if Bernard plays well at DT. Or whomever winds up playing next to Joseph....

ryan12
08-29-2012, 11:29 AM

I don't see Tuck lined up at DT full-time, just in the Nascar package.

agreed 100%

Kase-1
08-29-2012, 12:12 PM
He is nowhere near one of the best.He def is

Name some better DT, lets start this up.....

Kase-1
08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
hahah come on guys everyone likes oreosOreo's suck!!!!!

Chocolate Chip FOR LIFE!!!!! LOL

Kase-1
08-29-2012, 12:14 PM
That's too many guys right there, I think we only keep 4 and cut one when Canty comes back.

I'm so certain that Austin will go to IR that I forgot all about him but yeah, he's still the #3 right now.LOL I just assumed that he was on the IR

Kase-1
08-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes I know but I think with Canty's absence he will shine more.Def not, he's gonna see more double teams and people are gonna run away from him. He has developed his game to a run stuffing beast but when its Linval and our 7th rd draft pick Kuhn, I wouldnt expect much

The only way he'll 'SHINE' while Canty is out is if Rocky steps his game up or at least continues how he's been playing this pre-season

tonyt830
08-29-2012, 01:08 PM

I'm so certain that Austin will go to IR that I forgot all about him but yeah, he's still the #3 right now.I agree that we will only carry 4 with Canty on the PUP. I guess it depends on the health of Austin, but if we carry Joseph, Bernard, and Austin, then Kuhn, Hendricks and Thomas will battle it out for the 4th and final DT spot. I don't know what they will do with Rogers either---they seemed optimistic recently that he may not miss the entire season.

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
u think they'd only carry 4 until canty comes back???? i'd say 5 easy. we may have to cut back on another area and even carry 6 as crazy as that might sound. we simply dont know enough yet of what we will be able to get. theres no way they're expecting bernard to give quality starter minutes. he'll start, but if they lean on him like he's 28, he'll end up on IR by week 4. With Austin and a nagging back injury, and even still he's got a ways to go. hendricks is young and we cut him last season. thomas didnt get any interest in FA and he's 26 and has played some.
We have 1 proven guy and thats Joseph. The other 4 guys might add up into 1 Canty. When Canty comes back, maybe we'd go back to 4 if Austin is healthy as well. But DT is an issue.
And Tuck is not a real option either imo. Do we really want to increase his workload when we saw how ineffective he could be when he's hurting...JPP is a beast at DE...I mean I guess we could go Osi and JPP at DE a lot with Tuck at DT a lot, but I dont know.

I do know the coaches will handle it and get it under control until Canty gets back