PDA

View Full Version : Patriots starters to get extended time in final preseason game.

NYGfanNC
08-29-2012, 08:31 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055825/article/patriots-might-play-starters-plenty-in-preseason-finale?module=HP11_headline_stack

L (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055825/article/patriots-might-play-starters-plenty-in-preseason-finale?module=HP11_headline_stack)OL, is the Belichick getting back at us for the SB loss? Haha. If the Patriots starters do get extended time, do we play our starters longer? It would be a great test heading into the regular season but I surely don't want to risk injuries.

Dwinsballgames
08-29-2012, 08:34 AM
It doesn't matter what the Pats do, it doesn't matter what the score is. The game doesn't count. TC has a plan and I'm sure he will stick to it no matter what BB does with his starters.

miked1958
08-29-2012, 08:41 AM
It doesn't matter what the Pats do, it doesn't matter what the score is. The game doesn't count. TC has a plan and I'm sure he will stick to it no matter what BB does with his starters.I agree. The important thing is we don't get anyone hurt and jeopardize next week which is the important game

GameTime
08-29-2012, 08:46 AM
doesnt matter and BB wouldnt use a preseason game as 'get back you' for the SB.

shotgundraw
08-29-2012, 08:48 AM
He already got back at us, he snatched Ballard !

miked1958
08-29-2012, 08:51 AM
He already got back at us, he snatched Ballard !Will see how that turns out. May be another good year before we even find out if it mattered or not

Cool Papa B.
08-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I wonder if Belichick will send out Ballard for the coin toss LOL LOL...

Seriously though, who knows why Belichick is doing this. I know some of the players feel like the offense isn't gelling so well. He might be sending a message to his team. Or maybe he's just tired of losing to the Giants....who knows.

shotgundraw
08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Will see how that turns out. May be another good year before we even find out if it mattered or not

T'was a joke, I don't think he got Ballard to get back at us ^^

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
well he sat his starters for 2 of their preason games i believe. they had a very weird preseason schedule...dont see an issue with this. the starters rested vs philly a few days ago

lamas
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
If the Pats starters play longer it will just be a better test for our 2s and 3s.

nhpgiantsfan
08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Let him risk his starters. We stick to the plan. I don't expect Eli to play more than one series tonight. Unless they want to give him a little time to sync up with Hakeem.

WEG313
08-29-2012, 09:03 AM
If the Pats starters play longer it will just be a better test for our 2s and 3s.

Keep in mind that the Pats get 11 days to heal up for their season-opener; whereas the Giants just have a week to prepare for Dallas. That's a HUGE difference.

lamas
08-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Keep in mind that the Pats get 11 days to heal up for their season-opener; whereas the Giants just have a week to prepare for Dallas. That's a HUGE difference.

That's exactly what I'm saying. No need to match Patriots starters with our starters. Throw the back ups in there and let them get tested and gain experience from higher caliber opponents.

miked1958
08-29-2012, 09:25 AM
That's what I'm saying. We have nothing to prove starter wise and with just 4/5 practices between pats game and opener with Dallas no need to play starters at all IMO. Maybe a series or just a few snaps. Pats with 11 days have different set of goals

Marvelousmik
08-29-2012, 09:40 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055825/article/patriots-might-play-starters-plenty-in-preseason-finale?module=HP11_headline_stack

L (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055825/article/patriots-might-play-starters-plenty-in-preseason-finale?module=HP11_headline_stack)OL, is the Belichick getting back at us for the SB loss? Haha. If the Patriots starters do get extended time, do we play our starters longer? It would be a great test heading into the regular season but I surely don't want to risk injuries.

BB does things differently. While all the other teams play their starters the 3rd game, BB doesnt. He waits until the last game before the preseason ends. good test for the backups

njg85m
08-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sounds like good news to me.

Jiffy Jeff
08-29-2012, 09:59 AM

I will NEVER understand the thing about risking injuries in the preseason. They happen randomly. They occur in practice....they occur in the regular season.... they occur in the shower. I am cognizant of the fact that the preseason games are relatively meaningless, but you cannot account for the fickle finger of fate.

miked1958
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
I will NEVER understand the thing about risking injuries in the preseason. They happen randomly. They occur in practice....they occur in the regular season.... they occur in the shower. I am cognizant of the fact that the preseason games are relatively meaningless, but you cannot account for the fickle finger of fate.That's true but why put your key guys in an un necessary risk situation.

Flip Empty
08-29-2012, 10:18 AM
That's true but why put your key guys in an un necessary risk situation.
How is this week's game anymore unnecessary than last week's? Should the Giants not let any of their starters participate in pre-season?

The Pats' starters didn't play last week - if they miss this week as well, they'd have been inactive for the better part of a month going into week 1 of the regular season. Not good.

njg85m
08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
How is this week's game anymore unnecessary than last week's? Should the Giants not let any of their starters participate in pre-season?

It's unnecessary if our team has nothing to gain from playing our starters this week.

Moke
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
BB really isn't going to play his starters for the sake of getting over the SB. Is he that much of a baby?

Flip Empty
08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
It's unnecessary if our team has nothing to gain from playing our starters this week.
There's everything to gain from practice.

fansince69
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Including injuries?

Moke
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Their 1st team has looked horrible. There are good reasons for BB to address this.

I don't see the problem.

njg85m
08-29-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm pretty sure that if TC thinks there are starters who need improvement, he will play them.
He's not going to just rest people for the sake of resting them.

Flip Empty
08-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Including injuries?
They risk injury every time they walk down a flight of stairs.

I'm pretty sure that if TC thinks there are starters who need improvement, he will play them.
He's not going to just rest people for the sake of resting them.
Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about the Pats.

RagTime Blue
08-29-2012, 10:48 AM

I think the whole "rest the starters" thing has less to do with risking serious injuries and more to do with "rest". That, and I think coaches really want to get a good look at the backups, since there will be tough decisions to be made.

Give the 1st team enough reps to feel sharp yet rested.
Give the backups enough reps to make a case for making the 53.

I don't think TC cares much who the Patriots put out there, and I don't think either HC cares much for the final score (although it's a good warmup for the coaches too).

NorwoodBlue
08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I kind of like BB thinking on this. Play the reserves against the best the other team has to offer in the third game, and see who measures up and who's out of their league. Then play your starters more in the final game to get them in sync, and into the rhythm of the season. I don't think he's wrong, he just uses a different tactic than some other coaches. I wonder if he's got a starter who's under performing, if he might yank them early in this game and put a potential replacement in. It might shake up a couple starters to get their heads out of their butts, and into the game. He gets to the big dance often, he's no idiot. Classless, and tasteless at times; but no idiot.

fansince69
08-29-2012, 11:56 AM
They risk injury every time they walk down a flight of stairs.

Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about the Pats.

and everyone goes all the way to the basement when they only have to go to the ground floor.....right?

In other words why risk the extra?the first game everyone being healthy is the biggest concern here...
every snap Eli takes there is a chance he gets hurt and misses the year.....why put yourself at risk for a meaningless game?

burier
08-29-2012, 02:16 PM
doesnt matter and BB wouldnt use a preseason game as 'get back you' for the SB.

lol of course he would. He's the pettiest man in sports.

But as far we're concerned why do you we need to keep up with the Patriots. Our guys should play 1 series at the most.

joemorrisforprez
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM

Totally agreed....would be assume to test them against top shelf opponents.

njg85m
08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
lol of course he would. He's the pettiest man in sports.

You really think Bill Belichick would take pride in playing all of his starters for no other reason than to beat a bunch of Giants backups in a pre season game, because we again beat him in the super bowl last year....?

Laurah1275
08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
BB really isn't going to play his starters for the sake of getting over the SB. Is he that much of a baby?I think so, yes

njg85m
08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah that's why he hugged and congratulated Tom Coughlin for 30 seconds after we beat him again on the big stage. I don't like the guy, but a lot of you seem to be confusing him with something that he isn't

Cool Papa B.
08-29-2012, 03:10 PM

+1

This is my attitude too.

ozzie0075
08-29-2012, 03:47 PM
If the Pats play their starters for an extended amount of time it is for nothing else than getting their starters on the same page. Brady said earlier today that he expects to play the entire first half because their offense has been pretty sloppy up until this point. BB has great respect for the Giants organization and is going to do what is best for his team and this has nothing to do with the fact the Giants beat them in the Superbowl.

burier
08-29-2012, 04:03 PM
If the Pats play their starters for an extended amount of time it is for nothing else than getting their starters on the same page. Brady said earlier today that he expects to play the entire first half because their offense has been pretty sloppy up until this point. BB has great respect for the Giants organization and is going to do what is best for his team and this has nothing to do with the fact the Giants beat them in the Superbowl.

Belichick has great respect for the Giants organization? What makes you say that? Because he snatched our TE off waivers? Or because in the the first Superbowl he took off before the game was over?

Belichick doesn't even respect the game of football as a whole let alone any particular organization and trust He intentionally sat the starters earlier in preseason so to justify playing them longer against us because apparently beating us in an exhibition game is how he gets his jollies (Since he sure as hell can't get it done in games that count)

The beloved Bill Belichick. Never did anything in the NFL without LT or Spycam.

ozzie0075
08-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Belichick has great respect for the Giants organization? What makes you say that? Because he snatched our TE off waivers? Or because in the the first Superbowl he took off before the game was over?

Belichick doesn't even respect the game of football as a whole let alone any particular organization and trust He intentionally sat the starters earlier in preseason so to justify playing them longer against us because apparently beating us in an exhibition game is how he gets his jollies (Since he sure as hell can't get it done in games that count)

I guess you didn't the special NFL network did on him last season. They showed when he walk back into the old Giants stadium and started talking about the Giants organization and he starts to tear up.

And saying that he sat his starters just so he can play them longer against the Giants is ridiculous. They are only going to play longer against the Giants is because up until this point they haven't looked that good. No coach is stupid enough to play his starters an extended period of time and risk injury in the preseason unless he thought it was something his team needed to be ready for the season.

njg85m
08-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Talk about delusional.

burier
08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
I guess you didn't the special NFL network did on him last season. They showed when he walk back into the old Giants stadium and started talking about the Giants organization and he starts to tear up.

And saying that he sat his starters just so he can play them longer against the Giants is ridiculous. They are only going to play longer against the Giants is because up until this point they haven't looked that good. No coach is stupid enough to play his starters an extended period of time and risk injury in the preseason unless he though it was something his team needed to be ready for the season.

I did see that part of the NFLnet program. I wasn't phased by his crock of tears.

As far as risking injury...you don't find it funny that the Pats starters have played less than any other teams starters all preseason and then wk 4 when the starters aren't supposed to play much at all he decides its now the time to "extend" their playing time.

Furthermore if my starters were playing poorly I'd want then to get more playing time against actual starters. How is letting Brady throw on scrub players remotely productive?

Its not. Its just another childish move by that big joyless baby Bill Belichick who can't take a L to save his life.

Rememember when spygate broke? The fact that this clown got caught cheating apparently gave him licence the run the score up on inferior opponents?

I hated that NFLnet show as it was a reminder that that big whiny, grumpy, coat tail riding cheater was once affiliated with the Giants.

repeatchamps
08-29-2012, 04:24 PM

And saying that he sat his starters just so he can play them longer against the Giants is ridiculous. They are only going to play longer against the Giants is because up until this point they haven't looked that good. No coach is stupid enough to play his starters an extended period of time and risk injury in the preseason unless he though it was something his team needed to be ready for the season.

This.

Giants fans who hate on Belicheck would be the same fans who'd worship him if Parcells didn't screw the Giants over after the 2nd Super Bowl by waiting to quit until Belicheck left to take the Browns job. I am a die-hard Parcells supporter but if that incident didn't happen Belicheck would have taken over for Parcells instead of Handley and a multitude of years of futility during the post Parcells era could have been avoided. Belicheck even took a bad Browns team to the playoffs once during his tenure there which was a miracle quite honestly.

Anyone who thinks Belicheck would not have been able to be more productive than Handley, Reeves and Fassel combined is just being an ignorant hater and lacks football knowledge.

As far as spygate goes, let's not forget Belicheck was an assistant here for many years and who is to say the Giants didn't do similar during his and Parcells' tenure. Maybe they just never got caught. I'd like to believe the Giants organization is too classy to allow for that to happen but we really may never know if the Giants did or didn't do similar. To not consider the possibility is being very naive. There was a lot of front office squabbling during the Parcells years between Wellington, Tisch and Tim Mara as well as between George Young and Bill Parcells so it is not outrageous to think that perhaps there were shenanigans going on under different people's noses during the Parcells era that we just may not know about or that ownership knows about but because of other more pressing problems at the time in the front office said shenanigans went overlooked.

All the craziness that went along with the Parcells/Belicheck era is why I love it. It's not just about the massive success the Giants had (From 1984-1990, 82-40 including playoffs, 2 Super Bowl titles, 5 playoff appearances 4 division titles). Despite all the off the field volatility (front office strife included making the stability existing now a god-send believe me) during those years the Giants were animals on the field. Physical freaks. Any soap opera drama the Coughlin era has produced pales in comparison to the infamy of the Parcells/Belicheck era.

LT's and other players' serious off the field issues, constant tension between Parcells and the media (Giants were front and center in the NY media back then. Why? The Jets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, Islanders, Devils and Rangers mostly stunk the Mets were inconsistent most seasons and Parcells' attitude towards them is legendary and sent the NY media into a frenzy each week, it's why the media tries to stir things up with Coughlin these days, they miss the Parcells sound bites even after all these years lol) and also with George Young made for very wild times. Parcells and Simms hated each others' guts for crying out loud but yet despite all the insanity the Parcells/Belicheck teams during those years performed dominantly more times than not.

Flip Empty
08-29-2012, 06:11 PM
and everyone goes all the way to the basement when they only have to go to the ground floor.....right?

In other words why risk the extra?the first game everyone being healthy is the biggest concern here...
every snap Eli takes there is a chance he gets hurt and misses the year.....why put yourself at risk for a meaningless game?

Again, I was referring to the Patriots.

ebick
08-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought I had read this somewhere......holy, got your story completely wrong, Batman......