PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT give up on Jernigan...

BigBluePoint
08-29-2012, 03:45 PM
I know we have a real logjam at WR, but I'm telling you, JJ is going to be a very good and explosive player sooner than later.

Comparing him to Sinorice Moss is just ridiculous. He's got so much more potential.

I know everyone seems to have a man-crush on David Douglas. I like him, too. But Jernigan has a much bigger upside. I was blown away by him in college and thought we hit the lotto when we drafted him.

Yeah, he's mishandled a few punts. Scary. But his risk/reward ratio is so much greater.

Think of it this way...David Douglas returning punts, I believe, is going to be like Phil McConkey. Sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time.

JJ, on the other hand, may make us squeeze our anuses a little tighter on some punt returns, but I guarantee he will break some huge returns if given the chance. Plus, he's going to be a dangerous weapon in the passing game. Trust me.

What's your risk or comfort level? I'd rather go for the gusto and attack rather than play it safe. Our return game has been too boring and vanilla for too many years.

C'mon, let's give JJ a real shot. Who's with me?

dezzzR
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Hope he has a big game tonight.

ryan12
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM
IM NOT we were just have a discussion about him in another thread. he has DONE NOTHING this preseason and last year was a nightmare

yoeddy
08-29-2012, 04:08 PM
They gave Sinorice Moss 4 years, they will give JJ more time...

fansince69
08-29-2012, 04:12 PM
They gave Sinorice Moss 4 years, they will give JJ more time...

I said this in another thread....do not judge JJ on what you have seen in the few games,....I saw him at Albany and he was the star of practice...this kid is electric.......I hope we haven't given up on him ...he will catch on somewhere and we will regret it

He is not another Moss...I go to Albany every year...this kid's quickness would leave moss in the dust

ryan12
08-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Hope he has a big game tonight.

if he does ill will gladly eat crow tomorrow

DownWitJPP
08-29-2012, 04:18 PM
u can't judge him based off of last year. All last years rookies had minimal time to learn the offense, no mini camps, no ota's, reduced training camp. If u want to say he scares u as a punt returner I completely agree until he proves otherwise.

he has legit take it to the house capabilities every time he touches the ball, I just hope he shows it in the Pro's SOON. That being said, no way in hell they cut a 2nd year 3rd round draft pick.

GameTime
08-29-2012, 04:31 PM
hope he does well. I cut him some slack but I dont like short WR. With todays passign game and the up for grabs kinnd of balls that are thrown often he has a huge disadvantage. Good luck to him.

Shockeystays08
08-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm on board. I live 50 miles from Troy. This kid is gonna shine. The comparison to Moss comes from those who know little to nothing about Jerny. Those that have judged him by last year and his one dropped punt this preseason are just closed minded and in the dark about the potential this kid has. It's Pre season and the Giants coaches have no interest in exposing what they have in store to showcase his talents. He's in the plan! I predict if he stays healthy he will have more catches, yards and and TD's than route tree Randell who has shown good hands but no after catch threat. The few non believers in JJ who are on this board will call me foolish but they go directly to the "don't know any better file"

GMENAGAIN
08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I said this in another thread....do not judge JJ on what you have seen in the few games,....I saw him at Albany and he was the star of practice...this kid is electric.......I hope we haven't given up on him ...he will catch on somewhere and we will regret it

He is not another Moss...I go to Albany every year...this kid's quickness would leave moss in the dust
Another difference between JJ and Moss is that JJ was great in college.

Dwinsballgames
08-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I know we have a real logjam at WR, but I'm telling you, JJ is going to be a very good and explosive player sooner than later.

Comparing him to Sinorice Moss is just ridiculous. He's got so much more potential.

I know everyone seems to have a man-crush on David Douglas. I like him, too. But Jernigan has a much bigger upside. I was blown away by him in college and thought we hit the lotto when we drafted him.

Yeah, he's mishandled a few punts. Scary. But his risk/reward ratio is so much greater.

Think of it this way...David Douglas returning punts, I believe, is going to be like Phil McConkey. Sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time.

JJ, on the other hand, may make us squeeze our anuses a little tighter on some punt returns, but I guarantee he will break some huge returns if given the chance. Plus, he's going to be a dangerous weapon in the passing game. Trust me.

What's your risk or comfort level? I'd rather go for the gusto and attack rather than play it safe. Our return game has been too boring and vanilla for too many years.

The #1 most important job of a punt returner is ball security. It is much better to have a mediocre return than a turnover. I'll take Phil McConky any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

fansince69
08-29-2012, 04:47 PM
The #1 most important job of a punt returner is ball security. It is much better to have a mediocre return than a turnover. I'll take Phil McConky any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

AS much as I loved Phil I wouldn't trade Megatt for him...what most on here must forget is that Megatt had a huge fumble problem his rookie year ...but his potential was quite evident....god that sounds familiar

Dwinsballgames
08-29-2012, 04:50 PM
AS much as I loved Phil I wouldn't trade Megatt for him...what most on here must forget is that Megatt had a huge fumble problem his rookie year ...but his potential was quite evident....god that sounds familiar

The difference is, that (since he straightened out Tiki) TC does not seem to give guys with fumble problems many repeat chances, especially on STs. He has said on more than one occasion that ball security is his #1 priority.

fansince69
08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
The difference is, that (since he straightened out Tiki) TC does not seem to give guys with fumble problems many repeat chances, especially on STs. He has said on more than one occasion that ball security is his #1 priority.

So you cut a guy with a huge upside without giving him the opportunity to correct?....btw Jernigan did the return job just fine at end of year last year....guess we forgot that

gmen46
08-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Not with you.

Considering the number of intense debates in several threads concerning Jernigan the past couple weeks, he clearly has become the most controversial of Giants players.

Forget the Moss comparisons. Those are just lazy arguments. Where I have problems with the JJ advocates like you is that you keep insisting that he "has so much potential", he "is explosive", he "has so much more upside than the other candidates". Based on what?

Because he was all that in college? So what? Every receiver that makes an NFL draft has done great things in college. But, again, so what? They all don't make it the NFL. There is no guarantee that any college best-at-his-position stud will convert that success to a successful NFL career (see Ron Dayne).

The reality (and the reason why there are many Jernigan doubters like me) is that Jernigan has had nearly 2 full pre seasons and 1 full regular season--with no injuries preventing his play time--to show something, anything, to justify your faith in him and he has shown nothing except several muffed punts and a small handful of unremarkable receptions and a couple average returns.

Meanwhile, there have been a few undrafted and/or unheralded drafted/Free Agent prospects fighting for a WR spot who have--in just this pre season--shown much much more flash of potential than has Jernigan: Douglass, Barden, DePalma, even Stanback. Yet, you guys insist Jernigan should continue to be valued over any of them--even though he has admittedly accomplished nothing as a Giant yet--because you just "know" he has more "potential", is so much more "explosive" and has so much "upside".

As to your Douglas/McConkey analogy--sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time--could possibly be an apt one. But if so, then after 8 years of a Coughlin Giants team, you should know which choice--if it does indeed exist--TC will make. His approach to the return game (with which I completely agree) is comparable to that phrase associated with the ancient physician Hippocrates--first, do no harm. Sure, kick/punt returns for TDs are exciting, and every football fan loves them if done by their tem. But, I disagree with your premise that a loose cannon like Jernigan--who may be able to return for 50 yards or a TD, but who may just as likely muff a punt deep in our territory resulting in a score for the opponent--is preferable to others who have shown more, with very few opportunities.

Losing a game due to a muffed punt will not make up for the possibility of a home run return.

Look, I have no desire for Jernigan to fail, I bear him no ill will. But the Giants have an unusual opportunity here to put together a dominant corps of WRs, top to bottom. We already have arguably the best (at least a top two) WR duo in the league. We have a chance to have one of the deepest corps, as well.

Why should we stubbornly keep Jernigan only because he's a second year 3rd rd pick, when he has shown us none of his "exposive upside" while other candidates have each shown us at least something?

fansince69
08-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Not with you.

Considering the number of intense debates in several threads concerning Jernigan the past couple weeks, he clearly has become the most controversial of Giants players.

Forget the Moss comparisons. Those are just lazy arguments. Where I have problems with the JJ advocates like you is that you keep insisting that he "has so much potential", he "is explosive", he "has so much more upside than the other candidates". Based on what?

Because he was all that in college? So what? Every receiver that makes an NFL draft has done great things in college. But, again, so what? They all don't make it the NFL. There is no guarantee that any college best-at-his-position stud will convert that success to a successful NFL career (see Ron Dayne).

The reality (and the reason why there are many Jernigan doubters like me) is that Jernigan has had nearly 2 full pre seasons and 1 full regular season--with no injuries preventing his play time--to show something, anything, to justify your faith in him and he has shown nothing except several muffed punts and a small handful of unremarkable receptions and a couple average returns.

Meanwhile, there have been a few undrafted and/or unheralded drafted/Free Agent prospects fighting for a WR spot who have--in just this pre season--shown much much more flash of potential than has Jernigan: Douglass, Barden, DePalma, even Stanback. Yet, you guys insist Jernigan should continue to be valued over any of them--even though he has admittedly accomplished nothing as a Giant yet--because you just "know" he has more "potential", is so much more "explosive" and has so much "upside".

As to your Douglas/McConkey analogy--sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time--could possibly be an apt one. But if so, then after 8 years of a Coughlin Giants team, you should know which choice--if it does indeed exist--TC will make. His approach to the return game (with which I completely agree) is comparable to that phrase associated with the ancient physician Hippocrates--first, do no harm. Sure, kick/punt returns for TDs are exciting, and every football fan loves them if done by their tem. But, I disagree with your premise that a loose cannon like Jernigan--who may be able to return for 50 yards or a TD, but who may just as likely muff a punt deep in our territory resulting in a score for the opponent--is preferable to others who have shown more, with very few opportunities.

Losing a game due to a muffed punt will not make up for the possibility of a home run return.

Look, I have no desire for Jernigan to fail, I bear him no ill will. But the Giants have an unusual opportunity here to put together a dominant corps of WRs, top to bottom. We already have arguably the best (at least a top two) WR duo in the league. We have a chance to have one of the deepest corps, as well.

Why should we stubbornly keep Jernigan only because he's a second year 3rd rd pick, when he has shown us none of his "exposive upside" while other candidates have each shown us at least something?

you are entitled to your opinion...but you are missing what I have seen( no not college)...so let's just leave it at that and we let coaches decide....

DownWitJPP
08-29-2012, 05:23 PM
u make some good points but when has he ever been given a chance to make some plays? I think i seen him in on maybe 5 plays last year, and this pre-season I've barely even seen him play besides for the few punt returns.

They haven't had 2 full offseasons..last year they missed OTA's, and mini camp which greatly help players learn the system

I read the training camp reports everyday and he was consistently having great practices. Like you, I want to see more out of the kid, but to say he is a scrub and hasn't shown anything is just crazy. U need an opportunity to show something...

M00KIE
08-29-2012, 05:26 PM
I trust that they know better than any of us so...We'll just see what happens. Although this talk of JJ vs Douglas is kind of stupid. It's much more like Barden vs Douglas imo. And frankly Douglas...looks more promising to me. I don't think we're letting a draft pick walk so soon. Barden however has had enough time to show something. I think tonight may go a long way in deciding if he stays.

fansince69
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM
u make some good points but when has he ever been given a chance to make some plays? I think i seen him in on maybe 5 plays last year, and this pre-season I've barely even seen him play besides for the few punt returns.

They haven't had 2 full offseasons..last year they missed OTA's, and mini camp which greatly help players learn the system

I read the training camp reports everyday and he was consistently having great practices. Like you, I want to see more out of the kid, but to say he is a scrub and hasn't shown anything is just crazy. U need an opportunity to show something...

Your training camp reports do not lie...the day I was there in the 11 on 11 scrimmage I kept elbowing my wife saying Jernigan again....he caught 6-7 balls one of them a long 60-70 yd td....he stole the show that day

Shockeystays08
08-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Not with you.

Because he was all that in college? So what? Every receiver that makes an NFL draft has done great things in college. But, again, so what? They all don't make it the NFL. There is no guarantee that any college best-at-his-position stud will convert
that success to a successful NFL career (see Ron Dayne).

The reality (and the reason why there are many Jernigan doubters like me) is that Jernigan has had nearly 2 full pre seasons and 1 full regular season--with no injuries preventing his play time--to show something, anything, to justify your faith in
him and he has shown nothing except several muffed punts and a small handful of unremarkable receptions and a couple average returns.

Meanwhile, there have been a few undrafted and/or unheralded drafted/Free Agent prospects fighting for a WR spot who have--in just this pre season--shown much much more flash of potential than has Jernigan: Douglass, Barden, DePalma, even Stanback. Yet, you guys insist Jernigan should continue to be valued over any of them--even though he has admittedly accomplished nothing
as a Giant yet--because you just "know" he has more "potential", is so much more "explosive" and has so much "upside".

As to your Douglas/McConkey analogy--sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time--could possibly be an apt one. But if so, then after 8 years of a Coughlin Giants team, you should know which choice--if it does indeed exist--TC will make. His approach to the return game (with which I completely agree) is comparable to that phrase associated with the ancient
physician Hippocrates--first, do no harm. Sure, kick/punt returns for TDs are exciting, and every football fan loves them if done by their tem. But, I disagree with your premise that a loose cannon like Jernigan--who may be able to return for 50 yards or a TD, but who may just as likely muff a punt deep in our territory resulting in a score for the opponent--is preferable to others
who have shown more, with very few opportunities.

Look, I have no desire for Jernigan to fail, I bear him no ill will. But the Giants have an unusual opportunity here to put together a dominant corps of WRs, top to bottom. We already have arguably the best (at least a top two) WR duo in the league. We have a
chance to have one of the deepest corps, as well.

Why should we stubbornly keep Jernigan only because he's a second year 3rd rd pick, when he has shown us none of
his "exposive upside" while other candidates have each shown us at least something?

"when has he shown his explosive upside"? Well to start with on numerous occasions at camp. He probably had the most Top 5 Plays of the day. Did you watch any of that? He has been given a pathetic number of snaps in preseason games. I look for that to change tonight. Did you see him take a 4 yard pass vs. the Jets leave to defenders in the dust the split 2 would be tackles for a 19 yard gain? Randall catches the ball and spins his wheels and falls down but everyone loves him? JJ gets plenty of reps in practice and shows out. He's been an afterthought in preseason games for some reason but I believe that's due to special packages Gilbride and Co. have in store for Jerny.

fansince69
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
pre season stats so far
cruz 11 107
Randle 5 97
Bardon 4 60
Jenrigan...2 26
hixon 2 13
Douglass 1 23 3 punt returns 2 yards.....yes i know he had one called back....but honestly....we have no idea if the holding is what sprung it.......the stats are what they are........if you want to talk about that then include the pass interference that cost jernigan a TD

trying to understand the love for douglass and the hate for jernigan

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 06:09 PM
dont put down randle to prop up JJ. I like both players. Randle a little more. And ur description is off, "falls down" not true, he constantly tries to gain extra yards. in fact on one reception, he broke a couple tackles but it ended up hurting him bc he lost a few yards in the process.

With JJ, I doubt theres any chance he gets cut. The coaches see something in him imho. That first preseason game, yeah he didnt complete it. But he ran a crisp route vs Jax starting corner, got on top of him, and would have had a TD were it not for the corner blatantly interfering with him.
You can tell a lot by watching him run his routes. Just bc he isnt getting targeted, which btw neither was hixon (which is odd bc some people who defend hixons lack of accomplishing anything this preseason are the same who attack JJ for the same thing), doesnt mean u cant get an idea of his talent and ability.
when he has gotten targeted and made the catch, he has had nice runs after the catch like vs Chicago where he turned a pass receptio into a nice little gash.

i know he hasnt done anything yet in the nfl, but he's entering his 2nd season. lol if this standard was applied to every rookie picked 3rd to 1rst round, then a lot of em need to be cut...JJ has shown me at least, he has tremendous quickness and burst, and great breakaway speed. he's shown me he has a better understanding of the playbook and route concepts by the routes he's run/
Wouldnt surprise me at all if he was a major contributor to the offense...

fansince69
08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
dont put down randle to prop up JJ. I like both players. Randle a little more. And ur description is off, "falls down" not true, he constantly tries to gain extra yards. in fact on one reception, he broke a couple tackles but it ended up hurting him bc he lost a few yards in the process.

With JJ, I doubt theres any chance he gets cut. The coaches see something in him imho. That first preseason game, yeah he didnt complete it. But he ran a crisp route vs Jax starting corner, got on top of him, and would have had a TD were it not for the corner blatantly interfering with him.
You can tell a lot by watching him run his routes. Just bc he isnt getting targeted, which btw neither was hixon (which is odd bc some people who defend hixons lack of accomplishing anything this preseason are the same who attack JJ for the same thing), doesnt mean u cant get an idea of his talent and ability.
when he has gotten targeted and made the catch, he has had nice runs after the catch like vs Chicago where he turned a pass receptio into a nice little gash.

i know he hasnt done anything yet in the nfl, but he's entering his 2nd season. lol if this standard was applied to every rookie picked 3rd to 1rst round, then a lot of em need to be cut...JJ has shown me at least, he has tremendous quickness and burst, and great breakaway speed. he's shown me he has a better understanding of the playbook and route concepts by the routes he's run/

this is all i am trying to say

JesseJames
08-29-2012, 06:14 PM
everybody wants only the best for Jernigan but he's got to start making some plays that will justify him a roster spot

gmen46
08-29-2012, 06:22 PM
"when has he shown his explosive upside"? Well to start with on numerous occasions at camp. He probably had the most Top 5 Plays of the day. Did you watch any of that? He has been given a pathetic number of snaps in preseason games. I look for that to change tonight. Did you see him take a 4 yard pass vs. the Jets leave to defenders in the dust the split 2 would be tackles for a 19 yard gain? Randall catches the ball and spins his wheels and falls down but everyone loves him? JJ gets plenty of reps in practice and shows out. He's been an afterthought in preseason games for some reason but I believe that's due to special packages Gilbride and Co. have in store for Jerny.

Practice in camp is quite different than actual games--even actual pre season games. I don't think I need to tell you that.

Moss (not to use him as the comparison others do, but if the shoe fits...) had a history of having brilliant, highly praised, camps--then did little-to-nothing in real games, over and over again. For 4 years. JJ's camp prowess means very little to me, especially since during actual games his number has been called very little, as you yourself claim.

And what's Gilbride's special packages" for JJ have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that Jernigan can only be utilized in highly selective circumstances vs those of all the other WRs? If he can be used in only very selective circumstances, how is that a plus for him? Sounds like too many restrictions in order for him to qualify to be used. As a rule, Giants value players who are very versitile in positions they can play, not limited in one position.

Everybody "loves" Randle because after even a few opportunities that he's had, he looks poised, has the ability to box out and snatch the ball away from the defender. He looks very Nicks-like in his receiving; I'm not saying he is Nicks, I'm saying he's shown an ability to be like him, and after only a few targets.

Jernigan hasn't shown any upside potential to me yet. Speed without the ball in his hands don't mean ****. Catch the damn ball. Why's he not thrown to more? Because he's "special"? No. It's because if he can't catch most of the few times he's targeted, there's no QB trust in him, and the QB looks elsewhere. Any other reasoning on this is wishful thinking.

RoanokeFan
08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
hope he does well. I cut him some slack but I dont like short WR. With todays passign game and the up for grabs kinnd of balls that are thrown often he has a huge disadvantage. Good luck to him.

Quick now, Jernigan or Barden? :p

rainierjef
08-29-2012, 06:26 PM
i realy don't care to debate the topic at hand but i will say this.

personally i think people are so scared of a possible repeat of a Sinorice moss situation that they want to nip the problem in the bud right now even though you don't have sufficient grounds to nip the problem in the first place.

lack of OTA's / Mini camp can affect any player and Wide receiver is the second hardest position to transition from college to nfl level.

with the muff punts i believe players on the other team did so as well i attribute that to the high beams at night its always hard to locate the ball out of dark space with flourescent beam lights from all corners in your face. yes i know hes a porfessional but if you've ever played the sport you know what i'm talking about.

ask yourself this as well had he got that touchdown that was a pass interference would you still feel the same way?

just my two cents

rainierjef
08-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Quick now, Jernigan or Barden? :p

This... sir is the catalysis for a GMB war! :P

RoanokeFan
08-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I'd release Barden

GMENAGAIN
08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Your training camp reports do not lie...the day I was there in the 11 on 11 scrimmage I kept elbowing my wife saying Jernigan again....he caught 6-7 balls one of them a long 60-70 yd td....he stole the show that day

Thanks for the insight.

I'll take the opinion of someone who was actually there and watched him with his own eyes against the other opinions on this thread any day . . . .

GMENAGAIN
08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
I'd release Barden
To keep who?

Shockeystays08
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM

when he has gotten targeted and made the catch, he has had nice runs after the catch like vs Chicago where he turned a pass receptio into a nice little gash

It may seem I was putting down Randall, I guess it read like that, but I like him to an extent. My example was meant to magnify the fact that JJ has the potential to take it to the house every time he get's the ball yet he has some true non believers here. Randall on the other hand has shown little after the catch potential. Not saying he doesn't try or fight for yards but his 2 receptions last week he bobbled the ball and went backwards before being tackled then caught a short pass with wiggle room but was brought down easy shy of the needed first down. Yet some on here think he's the second coming of Nicks and JJ is the second coming of Sinorice Moss. Randall ain't no Nicks and Jerny ain't no Moss. I saw an awful lot of Randall at LSU and he has good hands and uses his body well but a stud after the catch he's not.

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
also, u have to figure into this that Cruz is playing the spot JJ would prob be best used and thats slot wr. we havent seen him there much at all in the preseason games. on that blatant PI non call, he was lined up out wide, and actually looked the part of a perimeter wr. but still, he'd prob be best suited for the slot.

so that right there will hurt the perception of him by the avg fan...he's entering his 2nd yr for petes sake. i cannot fathom how theres anyone who feels that even if he hasnt shown anything, that he somehow should have by now and since he hasnt he should be cut...if that was the case, thered be a lot of all pros working as grocers and bag boys bc they didnt get going until a few years in the league...something the giants will afford JJ at the least

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
what he's shown is irrelevant...a rookie season with no offseason does not a fair shot make. we simply havent had enough time to truly evaluate and allow him to progress and mature as a player. HIS 2ND YEAR PEOPLE, HE'S ENTERING HIS SECOND YEAR...lmfao WOW our society is so geared to instant gratification

B-Red22
08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
whos giving up on him?

gmen46
08-29-2012, 08:27 PM
what he's shown is irrelevant...a rookie season with no offseason does not a fair shot make. we simply havent had enough time to truly evaluate and allow him to progress and mature as a player. HIS 2ND YEAR PEOPLE, HE'S ENTERING HIS SECOND YEAR...lmfao WOW our society is so geared to instant gratification

As I've said in previous JJ threads--it's not about instant gratification at WR for me. I assumed JJ would not provide much at WR his first year as a 3rd rd pick. Too much to absorb and convert into great play, as everyone has said. I have no problem with that and no argument with that.

But what I did expect from Jernigan his first year and this year at least, was significant contribution from him in the return game. And he not only has failed to produce (yes, I know about a couple returns he made--none very remarkable--the end of last year) in the return game, he has muffed and caused turnovers. I don't know why that's so hard to grasp.

1) We were in need of a good, reliable return man last year.
2) Jernigan came out of college with a reputation for being a return man
3) Jernigan could have had a lot of playing time while he learned and adjusted to the Giants receiving schemes, had he been reliable on special teams
4) Speed is great, but useless if the QB cannot rely upon him to catch the ball when needed.
5) As of this writing, he still cannot be relied upon for return duties
6) On the other hand, with just this off season behind them, Hosley and Wilson have already accomplished more in the return game than JJ has in two pre season sandwhiched around a full regular season,
7) Even Douglas with only this pre season under his belt and only a few opportunities also, but when he had them--as return man and as WR--he caught the damn ball. Same for Stanback, same for DePalma once or twice, and even same for--at long long last last week--Barden.

I don't expect anything from Jernigan except to catch the ball the few times he--like every other WR trying to win a spot on our roster--has his opportunity. Catch the ball and then think about his speed. He's caught a few, yes, but his drops have over shadowed his few receptions. Sorry, but thems the facts.

What gets me is those who are so willing to dismiss the receptions of those other contenders who have actually caught the ball the few targets they had, yet insist that Jernigan is superior to them even though he has not shown that superiority the few times in games (not just practice) he's had the opportunity.

Now if the coaches have seen enough of all the WR competitors to determine Jernigan should stay and others should be released (as they probably have, unfortunately), so be it. But that does not change the fact that he has shown the rest of us nothing to justify his retention.

Again, instant gratification has nothing to do with my conclusions about Jernigan. He seriously disappointed in the one area he was supposed to be great at (returns) that do not require adjusting to a pro team's play book. Wilson and Hosley (even Randle), on the other hand, have not.