PDA

View Full Version : Eli audibles into those plays you hate many times

BigBlueOnes
12-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information.

DragonSoul
12-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Might be true, but in that formation you have very limited choices on how 2 run the ball, unless you change the formation.

Meaning its a shotgun called pass play, but if they audible to the run, the only option in that formation is that particular run play. Hence only 1 type of run, only real possible change is the side it will go 2.

RagTime Blue
12-13-2011, 06:54 AM
If you keep giving your kid the keys to the car, and he crashes it every time, who's to blame?

njersey
12-13-2011, 06:56 AM
If you keep giving your kid the keys to the car, and he crashes it every time, who's to blame?

George Bush?

RagTime Blue
12-13-2011, 06:58 AM

George Bush?

Hahaaaa!!!! Nice one.

BigBlueOnes
12-13-2011, 07:07 AM

George Bush?

Obama, without a doubt

timmytimm3
12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
The draw play would have much better results if the blocking was there. The line is starting to play better. Ware scored the 2 point conversion on a draw.

Drez
12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Might be true, but in that formation you have very limited choices on how 2 run the ball, unless you change the formation. Meaning its a shotgun called pass play, but if they audible to the run, the only option in that formation is that particular run play. Hence only 1 type of run, only real possible change is the side it will go 2.</P>

Not true, DS. You can run a sweep or pitch out of the shotgun, too.</P>

Dwinsballgames
12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Eli also audibles to plays that work very well, too. It's his job to read the defense and get the team into a play that has the best chance for success based upon his judgement of what the defense is going to do. Sometimes the team doesn't execute the plays well or the other team makes a play to stop it. The other team gets paid too.

GCGiant
12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that a draw play is the type of play that the RB picks the hole?

repeatchamps
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information.</P>

This is not a way to excuse Gilbride. People have tried this before but it is very simple to answer. Eli has plays he can audible to. He doesn't just make it up or invent them as he goes. The thing is as one of his audible options that shotgun draw play should be taken away as an audible option. If he wants to switch to a run then he should come out of the shotgun, line up behind center, shift the back in position to receive a handoff. You can still run a draw type run in that alignment. They actually ran the delayed draw several timesout of the non-shotgun setsthis past weekend with good successand that is basically all Dallas runs and has overall done well with it. Toss the shotgun draw play out the window as far as having it as an audible option.</P>

burier
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Might be true, but in that formation you have very limited choices on how 2 run the ball, unless you change the formation. Meaning its a shotgun called pass play, but if they audible to the run, the only option in that formation is that particular run play. Hence only 1 type of run, only real possible change is the side it will go 2.</P>

Not true, DS. You can run a sweep or pitch out of the shotgun, too.</P>

Which have even less likelyhood of being successful by the way.

BlueJayC
12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information.</P>

This is not a way to excuse Gilbride. People have tried this before but it is very simple to answer. Eli has plays he can audible to. He doesn't just make it up or invent them as he goes. The thing is as one of his audible options that shotgun draw play should be taken away as an audible option. If he wants to switch to a run then he should come out of the shotgun, line up behind center, shift the back in position to receive a handoff. You can still run a draw type run in that alignment. They actually ran the delayed draw several timesout of the non-shotgun setsthis past weekend with good successand that is basically all Dallas runs and has overall done well with it. Toss the shotgun draw play out the window as far as having it as an audible option.</P>

</P>

Completely agree. Yes Eli has the option to check to certain audibles based on pre-snap reads but those audibles are predetermined audibles dictated by the OC......it's not Eli calling a completely different play......so the blame isn't completely on Eli for failed audibles......it's what he's limited to as an option put in place by Gilbride......</P>

repeatchamps
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM

</P>

Completely agree. Yes Eli has the option to check to certain audibles based on pre-snap reads but those audibles are <U>predetermined audibles dictated by the OC</U>......it's not Eli calling a completely different play......so the blame isn't completely on Eli for failed audibles......<U>it's what he's limited to as an option put in place by Gilbride</U>......</P>

</P>

Bingo. Exactly right.</P>

Roosevelt
12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information.

I have been talking about this for years. People always blame Gilbride when the truth is it doesn't rest on his shoulders alone.

Not only does Eli have the ability to audible, at times he is given several different plays to choose from.

Love it or hate it our play selection is on both Eli and Gilbride and it has been for some time.

Roosevelt
12-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information.</p>

This is not a way to excuse Gilbride. People have tried this before but it is very simple to answer. Eli has plays he can audible to. He doesn't just make it up or invent them as he goes. The thing is as one of his audible options that shotgun draw play should be taken away as an audible option. If he wants to switch to a run then he should come out of the shotgun, line up behind center, shift the back in position to receive a handoff. You can still run a draw type run in that alignment. They actually ran the delayed draw several timesout of the non-shotgun setsthis past weekend with good successand that is basically all Dallas runs and has overall done well with it. Toss the shotgun draw play out the window as far as having it as an audible option.</p>

</p>

Completely agree. Yes Eli has the option to check to certain audibles based on pre-snap reads but those audibles are <u>predetermined audibles dictated by the OC</u>......it's not Eli calling a completely different play......so the blame isn't completely on Eli for failed audibles......<u>it's what he's limited to as an option put in place by Gilbride</u>......</p>

</p>

Bingo. Exactly right.</p>

I don't. SOMETIMES this is true but not always.

repeatchamps
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM

</P>

Completely agree. Yes Eli has the option to check to certain audibles based on pre-snap reads but those audibles are <U>predetermined audibles dictated by the OC</U>......it's not Eli calling a completely different play......so the blame isn't completely on Eli for failed audibles......<U>it's what he's limited to as an option put in place by Gilbride</U>......</P>

</P>

Bingo. Exactly right.</P>

I don't. SOMETIMES this is true but not always.
</P>

There is no way Eli is calling an audible that could be anyparticular play inventedin the history of the NFL. Gilbride gives him his audible options. It is plays in Gilbride's playbook that Eli has the option to choose from and even if it isn't inGilbride's originalplaybook it is a play Gilbride is comfortable with Eli choosing to use as an audible. Eli can't just call whatever he wants. Itwill always bein the scope of Gilbride's scheme.</P>

YATittle1962
12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Might be true, but in that formation you have very limited choices on how 2 run the ball, unless you change the formation.

Meaning its a shotgun called pass play, but if they audible to the run, the only option in that formation is that particular run play. Hence only 1 type of run, only real possible change is the side it will go 2.

they have 3 or 4 runs out of that formation

they look the same to many....but are actually very different

Kruunch
12-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Who draws up the plays that Eli can audible to?

Hmmmmmmm.

YATittle1962
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

90% of these plays are plays that have existed for decades in this league

Moss#83
12-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

90% of these plays are plays that have existed for decades in this leagueHow many of them are called back to back because the OC had a brain fart and couldn't come up with a different play?

BigBlueOnes
12-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

90% of these plays are plays that have existed for decades in this leagueHow many of them are called back to back because the OC had a brain fart and couldn't come up with a different play?

^^^^ THIS!!!!!

Like the back to back fades last game. Drove me nuts.

BlueJayC
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information. Who draws up the plays that Eli can audible to? Hmmmmmmm. 90% of these plays are plays that have existed for decades in this leagueHow many of them are called back to back because the OC had a brain fart and couldn't come up with a different play?
^^^^ THIS!!!!! Like the back to back fades last game. Drove me nuts.</P>

Oh....the back to back fades followed by the draw play on 3rd down......yeah I remember them.....almost threw my remote at the TV......</P>

The playcalling.....audibleing.....whatever.......was atrocious inside the 15 in the first half......got bailed out on the PI callone possession......thought that would ultimately kill them.....inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points.</P>

RoanokeFan
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM

The drivers who keep running into the kid!

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
If you keep giving your kid the keys to the car, and he crashes it every time, who's to blame?</P>

Huh? He crashes the car EVERY time???? Guess you haven't watched any games this season . . . . </P>

Gianthunter
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Listening to Bob Papa on satellite radio, he and Carl banks had been discussing Gilbride and the playcalling. They said they KNOW for a fact Eli has the ability to over ride any KG play called in, and MANY times, Eli calls the audible into the draw play, some times to the wrong side. They said before fans throw KG under the bus, realize our QB over half the time changes the play at the line and many times it's Eli's love of the draw play that makes those plays happen. Hmmmm..... Your thoughts? I doubt a lot of information, but not Carl Banks and Bob Papa, I think they're solid sources of information. Who draws up the plays that Eli can audible to? Hmmmmmmm. 90% of these plays are plays that have existed for decades in this leagueHow many of them are called back to back because the OC had a brain fart and couldn't come up with a different play?
OK How many?

Giantsin04
12-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Oh....the back to back fades followed by the draw play on 3rd down......yeah I remember them.....almost threw my remote at the TV......</P>

The playcalling.....audibleing.....whatever.......was atrocious inside the 15 in the first half......got bailed out on the PI call*one possession......thought that would ultimately kill them.....inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points.</P>

"inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points"

- Oh the horror. String him up!!

BlueJayC
12-13-2011, 04:24 PM

The playcalling.....audibleing.....whatever.......was atrocious inside the 15 in the first half......got bailed out on the PI callone possession......thought that would ultimately kill them.....inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points.</P>

"inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points" - Oh the horror. String him up!!</P>

You're content with that? That's 2 FG's and a gift TD......</P>

Must've been ecstatic during the Handley era too.</P>

Mercury
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

^^^^ THIS!!!!!

You mean, you predicted he would call the same play after it failed? I sure didn't.

DragonSoul
12-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Not true, DS. You can run a sweep or pitch out of the shotgun, too.</P>you can no doubt, but is that in their audible package that they can go to on the switch to the run.

You would think so, but it might not be in their arsenal.

DragonSoul
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

^^^^ THIS!!!!!

You* mean, you predicted he would call the same play after it failed?* I sure didn't.
Even i did not predict a fade fade.

I guess he is trying a new tactic. Maybe if we fail enough, the won't believe we will try the same play for a 3rd time straight? eh!

Giantsin04
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM

The playcalling.....audibleing.....whatever.......was atrocious inside the 15 in the first half......got bailed out on the PI call*one possession......thought that would ultimately kill them.....inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points.</P>

"inside the 15 3 times and came away with 13 points" - Oh the horror. String him up!!</P>

It was a bit of a joke dude...

The fact is that this offense is in the top 10 every year under this guy. Top 5 on occasion. Yet, the Giants score 13 points on three possesions and you're killing him.

Yes, when he called for back to back fades (jump balls) i was pissed. But have some perspective, the Giants offense is a successful one, a top one, a high powered one.

Are you telling me it is a no brainer that the guy who replaces him is going to take us from the 5th to 8th best O in the league every year to the 1st to 4th best O in the league every year? Big risk if you ask me. And Gilbride is definitely not an idiot, atrocious playcaller he is made out to be on here.

He is certainly not my favorite guy, but this offense has been one of the best in Giants history while he's been here. FACT

BlueJayC
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM

It was a bit of a joke dude... The fact is that this offense is in the top 10 every year under this guy. Top 5 on occasion. Yet, the Giants score 13 points on three possesions and you're killing him. Yes, when he called for back to back fades (jump balls) i was pissed. But have some perspective, the Giants offense is a successful one, a top one, a high powered one. Are you telling me it is a no brainer that the guy who replaces him is going to take us from the 5th to 8th best O in the league every year to the 1st to 4th best O in the league every year? Big risk if you ask me. And Gilbride is definitely not an idiot, atrocious playcaller he is made out to be on here. He is certainly not my favorite guy, but this offense has been one of the best in Giants history while he's been here. FACT</P>

Handley comment was my attempt at sarcasm.</P>

I'm not knocking the O at all......they've carried this team tothe division lead and alegitimateshot at the playoffs despite having statistically one of the worst Giants defenses in history. I am not a KG fan either but I'm also not really gonna get after an O coordinatorwho justput up backto back 35+ point games....I was however peeved at the back-to-back fade calls and subsequent 3rd down draw as well as his situational playcalling inside the Red/Green zone in the first half......they had a two shots shot at distancing themselves early which they failed to convert on. As a Giants fan we've all seen points left on the field and the trading of 7's for 3's bite this team in the a** in year's past.</P>

Can't argue with production either but I think a little more ingenuity is called for.....Peyton, Garrett and Martz (hate him) would have this O putting up 30-40 points a game consistently......just my opinion.</P>