PDA

View Full Version : TAKE THE STAR OFF THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!! TC Locker room, I love it!!

BigBlueOnes
12-13-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-locker-room-mvps/09000d5d824fbc8b/Giants-locker-room-speech

nygsb42champs
12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
A great speech!!!

WORLDCHAMPS
12-13-2011, 08:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-locker-room-mvps/09000d5d824fbc8b/Giants-locker-room-speech

CLASSIC....LOVE IT ....keep em goin TC!!!!!

Snappinnecks
12-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah that was great. You can tell the players appreciate it when Tom says "I'll see you...WEDNESDAY". Tough to balance the work/rest aspect of the team especially when you have games you CANNOT lose in the coming weeks.

SweetZombieJesus
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Sad that Tom cannot fix these late season collapses. There's so much right with the way he runs the team.

But again it's like Joe Torre, he just can't identify or fix the fatal problem.

Drez
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Sad that Tom cannot fix these late season collapses. There's so much right with the way he runs the team.

</P>

Let's wait and see if there is an actual collapse, as opposed to losing to some very, very good teams (Philly's record notwithstanding). Outside of the egg we laid in NO, we've been in every single game we've lost this season.</P>

Will you still consider it a collapse if we go on to run the table, win the division, and possibly win a playoff game?</P>

Considering all the injuries and changes we've suffered through this season, I'd call that going beyond reasonable expectations for this team.</P>

hungrrrry
12-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Sad that Tom cannot fix these late season collapses.* There's so much right with the way he runs the team.

I think he is just not the kind of person to point the finger at his coaches. I bet he knows the problem but is hoping his coaches will "read and react" and Perry Fool can't do that any better than the players on this team and hence, our defense sucks...unfortunately it will be to Tom's undoing that he doesn't fire Fewell

SweetZombieJesus
12-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Will you still consider it a collapse if we go on to run the table, win the division, and possibly win a playoff game?</p>

I consider it a collapse if the 2nd half is .500 or worse (which is already set in stone). And it's cemented with a first round playoff loss should they find their way in.
</p>

miked1958
12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

</P>

Let's wait and see if there is an actual collapse, as opposed to losing to some very, very good teams (Philly's record notwithstanding). Outside of the egg we laid in NO, we've been in every single game we've lost this season.</P>

Will you still consider it a collapse if we go on to run the table, win the division, and possibly win a playoff game?</P>

Considering all the injuries and changes we've suffered through this season, I'd call that going beyond reasonable expectations for this team.</P>

</P>

I will have to agree that you are correct. I would go a little further and say it was BEYOND reasonable expectations for our team if we win out and win a playoff game.</P>

SweetZombieJesus
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I think he is just not the kind of person to point the finger at his coaches. I bet he knows the problem but is hoping his coaches will "read and react" and Perry Fool can't do that any better than the players on this team and hence, our defense sucks...unfortunately it will be to Tom's undoing that he doesn't fire Fewell

There's evidence to back up what you say (look how loyal he was to Huffnagel and Lewis early on). But in the end if it's them and he can't whip them into shape, it's still his failure.

The other thing is we've had these collapses throughout his tenure (7 of 8 years) with different coordinators and different players.

SweetZombieJesus
12-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Considering all the injuries and changes we've suffered through this season, I'd call that going beyond reasonable expectations for this team.</p>

</p>

I will have to agree that you are correct. I would go a little further and say it was BEYOND reasonable expectations for our team if we win out and win a playoff game.</p>

We've seen these collapses in 7 of his 8 years. There are excuses every year. The pattern is irrefutable. 29-41 in Nov/Dec.

miked1958
12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
A great speech!!!</P>

+1</P>

BigBlueOnes
12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Considering all the injuries and changes we've suffered through this season, I'd call that going beyond reasonable expectations for this team.</p>

</p>

I will have to agree that you are correct. I would go a little further and say it was BEYOND reasonable expectations for our team if we win out and win a playoff game.</p>

We've seen these collapses in 7 of his 8 years. There are excuses every year. The pattern is irrefutable. 29-41 in Nov/Dec.

You're a TC hunter and hater. I think what others have said is actually wiser: let's wait and see what collapse there is, if any. Before the season I would have said "give me nothing but a strong playoff run, deep into playoffs." Given our injuries, I'd be thrilled with an NFC East title, and a playoff loss in the first round doesn't get me angry. That's NOT what I want, BUT WE HAVE NO PLAYERS LEFT!!!! So let's be realistic here about what we have. This team is what we think it is.

Rich4114
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I forget where I saw it, might've been in the NY Post article on the win in Dallas but they had some Mara quotes singing high praises for Coughlin. I have a feeling the only way Coughlin leaves is if he retires.

If we suck because of our defense, he could easily just remind everyone of the line backing core they have out there. Everyone said that would be an issue and it is. When there's a communication break down it's not shocking because the MLB is who usually communicates. We've had 4 different guys in there since pre-season STARTING.

miked1958
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-locker-room-mvps/09000d5d824fbc8b/Giants-locker-room-speech .</P>

We took the Star off the Mountain for the time being. We were on top of the Mountain when we built our record up to 6-2 and had that 2game lead. Then we were knocked off by the Cowboys when they went through an easy stretch of their Schedule (eeking out games over very inferior opponents) while we were going through one of the toughest stretchs i can remember in a long long time. </P>

The Cowboys were able to climb to the Top and push us off holding a 1game advantage only because their coach called a TO he should not have and cost them a victory. Otherwise our 4game losing streak would have pushed us to 2games back of the cowboys prior to our meeting this past sunday night.We fought back last and scored 2 tds and a 2pt converison in last 3+ minutes to wrestle control back from the Cowboys. So yes we have the same 7-6 record but we are the ones back on top winning the head to head meeting.</P>

We could give back control of the Mountain to them very easy by faltering in next 2games..As it is we would have to win both of those games while they lose at least to philly making our record 9-6 and theres 8-7 to win div. I think that would give us div as we would be 4-2 and they would be 3-3 with a win over us in last game if they lose to philly. So Tied head to head but we would have better div record and better head to head vs NFC West and AFC East.. We would be 6-2 vs their 5-3.. I think thats the only way the last dallas game becomes meaningless. There are far more senarios that make the Game a winning take all meeting. SO we need to focus and keep winning</P>

Giant stuck in Texas
12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Whats funny is there is actually are gigantic star that lights up on the mountain were I live. It's not Cowboys related, but made me think of it when I heard that interview.

BParcells777
12-13-2011, 05:55 PM
We are peaking nicely and getting healthier just at the right time

no one would be shocked by a team coming from a 6-7 ranking in week 14 to a Sb win

last time I looked the SB is not in the SuperDome this year and The Saints cant be our opponents

the rest of the league we can handle.......we beat GB ........I have the photo evidence of Ballards knee to prove it

BParcells777
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
coulda been wouda beens shoulda bins

the street of losers is full of them

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2011, 08:26 PM

no one would be shocked by a team coming from a 6-7 ranking in week 14 to a Sb win

last time I looked the SB is not in the SuperDome this year and The Saints cant be our opponents

the rest of the league we can handle.......we beat GB ........I have the photo evidence of Ballards knee to prove it

</P>

Wow . . . where to even begin with this mess.</P>

One win after a 4 game losing streak is "peaking"???</P>

We have never been 6-7 this year.</P>

The Saints can't be our opponent in the SB, but they could be our opponent in the NFC playoffs.</P>

Ballard was out of bounds. Even if he wasn't how could you possibly say that a TD rather than a FG at that early stage of the game would have changed the outcome??</P>

Other than that, great post!!</P>

yoeddy
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Will you still consider it a collapse if we go on to run the table, win the division, and possibly win a playoff game?</p>

I consider it a collapse if the 2nd half is .500 or worse (which is already set in stone).* And it's cemented with a first round playoff loss should they find their way in.
</p>

I would consider it to be a collapse when a team has first place and then loses it and finishes out of first place at the end. We had first place and lost it, but now we've regained it, so i would not consider it a collapse yet. And I think it's ridiculous to say that it's a collapse simply by finishing the last 8 games at .500 if it happens with a 4 game winning streak to cement first place...IMHO, that's to a collapse, that's a comeback....

NYgiants141
12-14-2011, 12:36 AM

</p>

Wow . . . where to even begin with this mess.</p>

One win after a 4 game losing streak is "peaking"???</p>

We have never been 6-7 this year.</p>

The Saints can't be our opponent in the SB, but they could be our opponent in the NFC playoffs.</p>

Ballard was out of bounds. Even if he wasn't how could you possibly say that a TD rather than a FG at that early stage of the game would have changed the outcome??</p>

Other than that, great post!!</p>

Agree... except for Ballard WAS in fact in bounds although it was really difficult to see live or even on the replays. And you are right, you can't tell how this game would have gone if that had been a touchdown. You can't simply just add the extra points to our final score and say "Look, we won that game". I even thought it was out of bounds until i saw the following pictures the next day. Can't really put that much blame on the refs, because i couldn't even see it on replays in slow motion.

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/NFL-EAGLES-VS-GIANTS.jpg

http://giantskickoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Jake-Ballard-TD-vs-Packers-Week13.jpg

SweetZombieJesus
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
You're a TC hunter and hater. I think what others have said is actually wiser: let's wait and see what collapse there is, if any. Before the season I would have said "give me nothing but a strong playoff run, deep into playoffs." Given our injuries, I'd be thrilled with an NFC East title, and a playoff loss in the first round doesn't get me angry. That's NOT what I want, BUT WE HAVE NO PLAYERS LEFT!!!! So let's be realistic here about what we have. This team is what we think it is.

I'm not a "TC hunter and hater". I like the guy. I have been pulling for him to FIX THE OBVIOUS PROBLEMS THAT CAUSE THESE COLLAPSES but he just can't. He has no answers and it keeps happening, year after year. It is very similar to the Joe Torre situation with the Yankees from 2001 until he was fired in 2008. He will always be beloved for the past, and he's doing so many good things but just can't get past titanic collapses (e.g. 2004 ALCS, 2003 WS) and first round playoff exits. It's scary how similar the Tom Coughlin and Joe Torre situations are. I didn't hate Torre, just as I don't hate Coughlin. But it's clear that "one more year" year after year just isn't going to work and the magic is gone. It's time to part ways and move on.

Step back and look at the facts, which do not lie, and let the facts, not your emotions or loyalty make the decision.

<ul> Collapses in 7 of 8 seasons (do you want me to list each season? It will make you sick) 29-41 record in Nov/Dec three first round playoff bounces Some of the worst losses in team history in big moments (2005 playoffs vs Panthers 23-0; 2008 playoffs vs Eagles 23-11; last game ever at Giants Stadium 41-9; you get the picture I can go on) This year's team is 1-4 in the 2nd half of the season so far. Never won a home playoff game Never won a playoff game outside of 2007.
[/list]

I can go on but that should be plenty to make the case. The Yankees and Joe Torre had to part ways and the team won a championship 2 years later. Having the same failures over and over with Coughlin are wasting some of our players' most productive years, e.g. Eli. Time to get off this merry go round and give someone else a chance. Obviously Tom can't fix this fatal problem. There are excuses every year for the collapses, but they have happened 7 out of 8 years. It's pretty obvious and irrefutable.
</p>

SweetZombieJesus
12-14-2011, 08:53 AM

I consider it a collapse if the 2nd half is .500 or worse (which is already set in stone). And it's cemented with a first round playoff loss should they find their way in.
</p>

I would consider it to be a collapse when a team has first place and then loses it and finishes out of first place at the end. We had first place and lost it, but now we've regained it, so i would not consider it a collapse yet. And I think it's ridiculous to say that it's a collapse simply by finishing the last 8 games at .500 if it happens with a 4 game winning streak to cement first place...IMHO, that's to a collapse, that's a comeback....

And what about the 6-2 starts every year and the fact that the best followup to that has been .500 ball? Most certainly a collapse. Start strong, finish weak, that sounds like a collapse to me. And the fact is that finishing weak is not something championship teams do.

<ul> 2004 - lost 9 of last 11 2006 - lost 6 of last 8 2007 - lost 4 of last 8 2008 - lost 3 of last 4 2009 - lost 8 of last 11 2010 - lost 4 of last 8 2011 - lost 4 of last 5*[/list]

Each and every one a collapse. 2004, 2009, and 2010 cost them a playoff spot. 2006 and 2008 saw them lay disgusting eggs in the first round of the playoffs. It remains to be seen what will happen in 2011, and while I hope for some miraculous run, it's more likely the team will miss the playoffs or lose in the 1st round. And if that happens again, turn off the lights.
</p>

yoeddy
12-14-2011, 09:02 AM

I consider it a collapse if the 2nd half is .500 or worse (which is already set in stone).* And it's cemented with a first round playoff loss should they find their way in.
</p>

And what about the 6-2 starts every year and the fact that the best followup to that has been .500 ball?* Most certainly a collapse.* Start strong, finish weak, that sounds like a collapse to me.* And the fact is that finishing weak is not something championship teams do.

<ul> 2004 - lost 9 of last 11 2006 - lost 6 of last 8 2007 - lost 4 of last 8 2008 - lost 3 of last 4 2009 - lost 8 of last 11 2010 - lost 4 of last 8 2011 - lost 4 of last 5*[/list]

Each and every one a collapse.* 2004, 2009, and 2010 cost them a playoff spot.* 2006 and 2008 saw them lay disgusting eggs in the first round of the playoffs.
</p>

My point is that it is too early to say whether or not 2011 is a collapse. Coming back to take first place in the division in the final 4 games would make this a great comeback, not a collapse.

Redeyejedi
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM

</P>4-4 against that schedule would not be a collapse. They played the 2 best teams in the NFL I believe in the Saints and Packers.The 49ers arent to far behind a Top 6 team, 4 games against the NFC East and a playoff team, the Jets.Thats brutal if they can split that its a good job

GMENAGAIN
12-14-2011, 09:23 AM

</P>

Wow . . . where to even begin with this mess.</P>

One win after a 4 game losing streak is "peaking"???</P>

We have never been 6-7 this year.</P>

The Saints can't be our opponent in the SB, but they could be our opponent in the NFC playoffs.</P>

Ballard was out of bounds. Even if he wasn't how could you possibly say that a TD rather than a FG at that early stage of the game would have changed the outcome??</P>

Other than that, great post!!</P>

Agree... except for Ballard WAS in fact in bounds although it was really difficult to see live or even on the replays. And you are right, you can't tell how this game would have gone if that had been a touchdown. You can't simply just add the extra points to our final score and say "Look, we won that game". I even thought it was out of bounds until i saw the following pictures the next day. Can't really put that much blame on the refs, because i couldn't even see it on replays in slow motion.

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/NFL-EAGLES-VS-GIANTS.jpg

http://giantskickoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Jake-Ballard-TD-vs-Packers-Week13.jpg
</P>

I've seen the still pictures, but I don't really trusty them. You can't tell whether or not his knee is in contact with the ground at that point.</P>

Based upon the video that they showed over and over on TV, it was pretty clear that he was out.</P>

But, as you say, that doesn't really matter now . . . . </P>

SweetZombieJesus
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
4-4 against that schedule would not be a collapse. They played the 2 best teams in the NFL I believe in the Saints and Packers.The 49ers arent to far behind a Top 6 team, 4 games against the NFC East and a playoff team, the Jets.Thats brutal if they can split that its a good job

A loss is still a loss, you don't get extra credit if you lose to a good team.

Starting 6-2 and finishing 4-4 is a collapse. Especially if you lose 4 games in a row.

If they can win 4 straight after losing 4 straight, that's a nice comeback, but you have to fight all that negative momentum and for that reason I hope for it but don't expect it.

yoeddy
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
4-4 against that schedule would not be a collapse. They played the 2 best teams in the NFL I believe in the Saints and Packers.The 49ers arent to far behind a Top 6 team, 4 games against the NFC East and a playoff team, the Jets.Thats brutal if they can split that its a good job

A loss is still a loss, you don't get extra credit if you lose to a good team.

Starting 6-2 and finishing 4-4 is a collapse.* Especially if you lose 4 games in a row.

If they can win 4 straight after losing 4 straight, that's a nice comeback, but you have to fight all that negative momentum and for that reason I hope for it but don't expect it.

I think that the win against Dallas got rid of a lot of the negative momentum...not all of it, but at least it's got people talking about the Giants' ability to score and be clutch...

BigBlueOnes
12-14-2011, 12:17 PM

</p>

And what about the 6-2 starts every year and the fact that the best followup to that has been .500 ball? Most certainly a collapse. Start strong, finish weak, that sounds like a collapse to me. And the fact is that finishing weak is not something championship teams do.

Each and every one a collapse. 2004, 2009, and 2010 cost them a playoff spot. 2006 and 2008 saw them lay disgusting eggs in the first round of the playoffs. It remains to be seen what will happen in 2011, and while I hope for some miraculous run, it's more likely the team will miss the playoffs or lose in the 1st round. And if that happens again, turn off the lights.
</p>

This is almost hilarious. I see your points, and they're well taken, but the comment you made earlier that some of the best players years being wasted is utterly ridiculous. Eli is clutch, has huge numbers, and is respected. What makes you think he'd be as good under another HC?? He could be worse off. He could be under someone like Martz who would have had him KILLED with hits the first half of his career. Also, your "statistics" are rather fabricated. You site the "collapses" but don't compare apples to apples. "6 of last 8", "9 of last 11", "3 of last 4" don't tell much. My pet peeve is the "NFL Statistics" always cited on TV. Such as "When trailing by 4 points in the last two minutes of the game in a dome in November, Grossman is 80% winning the games in which he starts" Who cares?? Give me win loss for the season, that's all that matters. With all due respect I see your points, you make GREAT points, but there could a worse situation here than TC, a move doesn't always mean a better team. That all being said, should they let him go I wouldn't be hurt or sad, but look with excitement at who is coming in (God, do NOT say Gruden or Cowher)