PDA

View Full Version : Hixons gotta be gone.

thomsoad
08-29-2012, 10:17 PM
I havent heard his name mentioned once; Bardens looking pretty good, and JJ has been the one returning punts.
I just havent seen anything in regards to preseason to justify a spot for the guy

Axels17
08-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I havent heard his name mentioned once; Bardens looking pretty good, and JJ has been the one returning punts.
I just havent seen anything in regards to preseason to justify a spot for the guy

I don't think they played him much. Similar to Ware. Know what they have in him already.

I'd be surprised if he gets cut, though I've seen stranger things

Diamondring
08-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Giants have a lot of wr talent and Hixon may not be the starter anyways.

TheShouldersOf
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Coming from the hype in camp i expected Hixon to show, he has been uneventful, though they may be saving him, coming from two injuries you think he would try to prove himself at this point

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 10:46 PM
i dunno but hixon didnt have a good preseason. nicks ended up with more receiving yards than him with a whopping 6 yards to hixons 4...

Moke
08-29-2012, 10:49 PM
So weird. Not sure who will get dropped out. I feel like Hixon, jernigan, and barden can all be on the roster

penguinfarmer
08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Even though Nicks is back, he could still use some insurance. It's not like any of the other receivers vying for a position have separated themselves immensely this preseason. Giants have always been accommodating with Hixon dating back to last season.

GameTime
08-29-2012, 10:55 PM
if Nicks or Cruz go down they need a WR who knows the playbook inside and out and Hixon I believ fits that bill.

NWKEffectElement
08-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Why do ppl want Hixon gone?

penguinfarmer
08-29-2012, 10:59 PM

Each and every player, coach and FO personnel has had their head on the chopping block in this forum at some point in time.

BigBlue1971
08-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Hixon makes the team. they wont cut him!

RoanokeFan
08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Hixon makes the team. they wont cut him!

We'll know within about 36 hours

thomsoad
08-29-2012, 11:11 PM
if Nicks or Cruz go down they need a WR who knows the playbook inside and out and Hixon I believ fits that bill.

If that was true wouldnt we still have Toomer, and SS on the roster?

GameTime
08-29-2012, 11:12 PM
I was just stating an opinion not need to be ridiculous....

RoanokeFan
08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

That's just silly

lawrenceS59
08-30-2012, 12:36 AM
He's not going anywhere. I remember Coughlin saying prior to one of the games that Hixon won't play because he already knew what he'd get from him. That doesn't sound like a coach that's considering letting him go.

BrianK01
08-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Hixon was one of the captains for tonights game.......

Rat_bastich
08-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Never know...they cut Tyree and the Giants are deep in the receiver department.

Drez
08-30-2012, 01:18 AM
And who of the three did the Giants resign?

Drez
08-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Never know...they cut Tyree and the Giants are deep in the receiver department.
Tyree was never all that good of a good receiver (Hixon is a better receiver) and started declining as a STer after his injury. I think we only have to look at his post-Giants career to see if we made the right choice there.

thomsoad
08-30-2012, 01:53 AM
I was just stating an opinion not need to be ridiculous....

Im not being malicious with you... im just stating the absurdity of keeping a player just becuz they know the playbook. I just havent anything from Hixon to justify letting JJ or Barden go simply becuz in JJs case Hixon knows the playbook better.

Fact is we wont be able to keep more then 6 WR's at the most.. at one time i considered we could go 7. But that means cutting Ojomo loose...and sorry ... Hixon aint worth Ojomo in my opinion.

derekunion28
08-30-2012, 02:00 AM
hixon they know he stays....

dave56dj
08-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Gone? Do you really think they would line him up with the ones as the third wideout if they were gonna cut him - my guess is catches or no catches he is our 3rd wide out. Barden came on strong - I'd rather see him as he is a beast running the slant with that giant frame, but coughlin loves experience - still barden is no rook anymore.

jomo
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
hixon they know he stays....Yes.............

OX1
08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Seemed he had a great camp. The injury was the only question
as to how he would perform, giants knew what they had otherwise.
Never been a huge fan of his, hope he can at least come close to manny's production.

I think all the WR's are going to be a little more open this year since we seem to have
the best threat @ TE since shockey. Hope the dink and dunk carries over from preseason,
because we are going to need it with our O-line.

Hixon shows 'no fear' with big camp catch

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/08/hixon-shows-no-fear-with-big-camp-catch

"Domenik Hixon continued to move well and catch everything thrown to him. Nothing spectacular from him today, just continued good, steady work."

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/8/12/3238092/new-york-giants-training-camp-day-12-practice-report

"and Hixon looking sharp on his in cuts and exhibiting good speed off the line. He didn't seem tentative at all."

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=449274

GameTime
08-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Im not being malicious with you... im just stating the absurdity of keeping a player just becuz they know the playbook. I just havent anything from Hixon to justify letting JJ or Barden go simply becuz in JJs case Hixon knows the playbook better.

Fact is we wont be able to keep more then 6 WR's at the most.. at one time i considered we could go 7. But that means cutting Ojomo loose...and sorry ... Hixon aint worth Ojomo in my opinion.
Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Randle
Barden
Jernigan

BTW....if it was me....I would cut JJ. Don't like short WRs. He is listed as 5' 8" and you have to be outstanding at that height to be and NFL WR. He is not outstanding.

there is your 6....

thomsoad
08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Randle
Barden
Jernigan

BTW....if it was me....I would cut JJ. Don't like short WRs. He is listed as 5' 8" and you have to be outstanding at that height to be and NFL WR. He is not outstanding.

there is your 6....

See and i really dont like the idea of cutting Douglas. Way more upside (IMO) then Hixon. Plus absolutely zero chance DD clears waivers.

WEG313
08-30-2012, 09:47 AM
JJ has been returning punts to give him an opportunity to show something...anything....and he's yet to do so. Hixon not only provides versatility, as he's a proven special teams player at the NFL level, but Eli has trust in him as a receiver if he's ever called upon. I just don't see any possible value in continuing to keep Jerigan.

ryan12
08-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Randle
Barden
Jernigan

there is your 6....

you defended jj told me to eat crow if he had a good game... punt returns were horrific had one nice catch. so im assuming your off the jj train??? lol

wuzpapn
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't think there's anyway we get rid of Hixon.

Toadofsteel
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
See and i really dont like the idea of cutting Douglas. Way more upside (IMO) then Hixon. Plus absolutely zero chance DD clears waivers.

Wait we're waiving Diehl?

thomsoad
08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Wait we're waiving Diehl?

DD = David Douglas

Dwinsballgames
08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Hixon is not going anywhere (as long as he stays healthy)

Napstew
08-30-2012, 10:12 AM

I've noticed that too.

thomsoad
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I've noticed that too.

I dont want to see anybody gone. And its nothing personal at all against Hixon. IMO I have seen more potential with better upside this year at the WR position.

Hixon was fine for us when we had SS and Nicks was a rookie and Cruz was PS fodder. But we have severly upgraded the WR position since that first year we brought in Hixon. Im just not seeing the skill set of Hixon being equivalent to talents of other WR's.

ryan12
08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I've noticed that too.

cuz he has shown NOTHING this preseason barden looks better than him

Dwinsballgames
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
cuz he has shown NOTHING this preseason barden looks better than him

He's barely played. Let's cut Nicks too because he showed NOTHING this preseason either.

GameTime
08-30-2012, 10:49 AM
you defended jj told me to eat crow if he had a good game... punt returns were horrific had one nice catch. so im assuming your off the jj train??? lol
no...told you not to eat crow even if had a good game because he still has a lot to prove and one good game at WR wouldnt prove that.
I said to chill on JJ becasue you said he sucked. He doesnt suck but at the same time I dont particularly like short WRs.

GameTime
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Basically with all this debate it is a good thing. That mean with whatever group of WRs they keep it will be a good group...

BurnerNYG
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Who the hell is Hixons... a politician?

jai4762
08-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I think hixon should have been gone last year....and that spot should be given to someone less fragile.....Also our motto should be SET THE TONE,,,as Champions thats what we should do and let everyone else fo;;ow our lead.....just sayin

Superbowl
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Hixon never had a single full season where he stayed healthy but I don't think his going anywhere this year.

Perhaps next year if he gets hurt again.....

RoanokeFan
08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Hixon was one of the captains for tonights game.......

Because he sucks, as we are reading

giantsfan420
08-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Because he sucks, as we are reading
well we dont know. it could have been a respectful send off if they had talked before hand...I know its not likely, but there are explanations for the captain topic that are plausible besides it being a "u made the team" notice

giantsfan420
08-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Randle
Barden
Jernigan

there is your 6....
he's not outstanding...yet. few wr's are entering year 2.

i dont get some people (not u gametime i've seen u say he needs to be given more of a chance), it seems people want instant gratification and if it isnt granted, the player needs to be cut. and its random too, that theory isn't applied across the board, but only specific players. Probably bc those people set lofty, way too high of an expectation and the player didnt meet it, when in reality like 1% of players could.
Prince, JJ, Barden etc (which I understood as more time elapsed but still, he was injured 2 of his years here)...Like really, Prince and JJ?? They are entering their SECOND YEAR. i know they havent done much, or anything in JJ's case...but if every player entering his 2nd year without doing anything were cut, the league would have like 100 players total...give him, and yourself, more of a chance to have a better understanding of the situation and a players potential...

ryan12
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
He's barely played. Let's cut Nicks too because he showed NOTHING this preseason either.

are you kidding me he started games 2 and 3 and didnt do anything.. did you watch the games mr cut nicks... dumd response to my OPINION

Dwinsballgames
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM
are you kidding me he started games 2 and 3 and didnt do anything.. did you watch the games mr cut nicks... dumd response to my OPINION

Did you count how many plays he was in for? I do not believe he was in very long in either game. Either way, he is a known commodity, a reliable receiver, a PROVEN returner and he will be on the roster, Mr. Cut Hixon. And thank the lord that the Giants FO has more sense than many of the posters on this MB.

GameTime
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM
he's not outstanding...yet. few wr's are entering year 2.

i dont get some people (not u gametime i've seen u say he needs to be given more of a chance), it seems people want instant gratification and if it isnt granted, the player needs to be cut. and its random too, that theory isn't applied across the board, but only specific players. Probably bc those people set lofty, way too high of an expectation and the player didnt meet it, when in reality like 1% of players could.
Prince, JJ, Barden etc (which I understood as more time elapsed but still, he was injured 2 of his years here)...Like really, Prince and JJ?? They are entering their SECOND YEAR. i know they havent done much, or anything in JJ's case...but if every player entering his 2nd year without doing anything were cut, the league would have like 100 players total...give him, and yourself, more of a chance to have a better understanding of the situation and a players potential...
you are right and as fans we have the luxury of ignorance and not worryigng about cap space and future issues for the team. We can willy nilly say cut him, keep him, etc. But many of us look at it logically most times. Taking into account when players were drafted, injuries, opportunites, and practice (which we are not privy to) the coaches can and will make the best decision for the team. Most times those decisions work out for the Gmen and sometimes they dont. For example....Sinorice Moss....was he a victim of the system or was did he just not cut it???
It becomes what the player does for the team, what the play can do for the team , and what the player may do for the team. The coaches will most likely make the right choices.

giantsfan420
08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
agreed. I get what u mean, I just dont get counting out a player entering their 2nd year...rarely do players show their worth in their first season.

SuperNYGiants
08-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Forget that JJ is a 3rd round pick, look at him as a player and what he has done, he has caught ZERO passes in real games, had muffed punts in preseason, never broke one long on any punt or kick-offs, goes down like a fragile girl on first contact. He looks good in practice, but never shows up in games. I think he has Sinorice Moss syndrom written all over, actually even less hopeful becausee Moss was faster runner. But the biggest negative on JJ is that Eli doesn't like short WRs and it shows.

Without looking at the draft selection credentials, I would take Douglas over JJ EVERY SINGLE TIME.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Forget that JJ is a 3rd round pick, look at him as a player and what he has done, he has caught ZERO passes in real games, had muffed punts in preseason, never broke one long on any punt or kick-offs, goes down like a fragile girl on first contact. He looks good in practice, but never shows up in games. I think he has Sinorice Moss syndrom written all over, actually even less hopeful becausee Moss was faster runner. But the biggest negative on JJ is that Eli doesn't like short WRs and it shows.

Without looking at the draft selection credentials, I would take Douglas over JJ EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Thank god you aren't making this decision.......Douglass has NOT done any more than JJ...except in the minds of some fans

stats for preseason

JJ 3 52
Douglass 1 23 3 punts returned for 2 yds.......

YATittle1962
08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Randle
Barden
Jernigan

I would agree with this

can't wait to see what happens

although I would love to have them replace either Barden or Jernigan with someone else

RoanokeFan
08-30-2012, 02:37 PM
i would agree with this

can't wait to see what happens

although i would love to have them replace either barden or jernigan with someone else

tick, tock, tick, tock :d

YATittle1962
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
tick, tock, tick, tock :d

this may sound corny .....but the suspense waiting for the 53 always kills me

:)

RoanokeFan
08-30-2012, 02:42 PM
this may sound corny .....but the suspense waiting for the 53 always kills me

:)

Not corny at all, it's debilitating. For most of us it probably centers around one or two specific players. In my case, Ojomo, Ware, and Hixon

YATittle1962
08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Not corny at all, it's debilitating. For most of us it probably centers around one or two specific players. In my case, Ojomo, Ware, and Hixon

my thoughts exactly

dave56dj
08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Guys can we be a bit more realistic - we have watched camp and preseason - followed beat reporters and practice highlights so we tend to build up our players a great deal. The truth is Douglas could easily clear waivers and make it to the ps. He has done a nice job in camp - had about 2/3 catches in preseason and one nice return negated by a penalty. There is not DEFINITE that he would be claimed and I think the giants take that chance due to the numbers and let him go. Hixon is a guy the giants wanted to work back in slowly. He knows the offense and in game 3 and 4 lines up with the ones.

BrianK01
08-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Guys can we be a bit more realistic - we have watched camp and preseason - followed beat reporters and practice highlights so we tend to build up our players a great deal. The truth is Douglas could easily clear waivers and make it to the ps. He has done a nice job in camp - had about 2/3 catches in preseason and one nice return negated by a penalty. There is not DEFINITE that he would be claimed and I think the giants take that chance due to the numbers and let him go. Hixon is a guy the giants wanted to work back in slowly. He knows the offense and in game 3 and 4 lines up with the ones.
Giants | David Douglas has chance to make team

Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:15:57 -0700

New York Giants WR David Douglas has a chance to make the final roster because of his ability to be a returner on special teams.

Comment (0) | Share: | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Ohm Youngmisuk

dave56dj
08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Nobody - including myself - said he didn't. But he also has a chance of being cut and clearing waivers ending up on the PS.

Beelzeboss
08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I think Jernigan has been getting the return duties this pre season so the coaches can see if he shows anything special, I think they are pretty confident that Hixon is gonna be the guy. Barden has shown some great stuff so far and with his size and hands he is gonna be a very tough guy to let go. IMO if one of those three guys get cut I think it would have to be Jernigan.... but then again that just my opinion and I am not watching them on the practice field.

bklyn1028
08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
All I know is I would hate to be in Coughlin's shoes right now! It's gotta be tough letting good people go, some of whom you know will be outstanding players one day. Man.......no one wants to fire anyone.